Hotel in San Pedro

shofer

We are leaving Port of LA for a round trip to Hawaii. Plan on arriving a day earlier as weather from Chicago is always iffy in January. Which hotel in San Pedro or Long Beach would be good and do they offer a shuttle to the ship?

Any input is welcome.

I've used the Best Western and Sheraton, both in San Pedro. Both have shuttles to the ship at no charge. They both, I believe, have fly and cruise packages, which include airport transfers. Both hotels are very close to the ship and also restaurants and shopping along the channel from the cruise port to the ocean, I believe Port O' Calls, a maritime museum is also within walking distance.

Reggie:D

Another vote here for the old Queen Mary, a great way to start out your cruise vacation. Much more of an experience than just staying at a hotel, she is an historical landmark. If your stay will be on a Saturday night, make sure you go to Sunday Brunch, it is beautiful. It might be a little more hassle than a hotel in San Pedro or Long Beach, but worth it. I'm sure a shuttle can get you there from LAX, then a taxi to the pier, maybe a 10-15 minute ride.

Edit to add, book this early as they do book out in advance. I would check to make sure they make Saturday night reservations only. Actually, a two night stya would sound pretty good to me.

Personally, we found the original fittings room a bit more atmospheric (though it IS smaller, certainly). YMMV

IMAO the best way to get around LA is rental cars, unless you plan to just stay on the QM (perfectly doable, I'd think - personally I could spend the bulk of the time camped in the engine room) - things are fairly spread out, taxis are pricey, and I've had bad experiences with shuttles. Do try to find an outfit where you can drop off in San Pedro or Long Beach, as was the case with Budget.

Of course, you could just priceline your hotel, if you prefer :eek:

Archived