Great Stirrup Cay

Sunnystone

We did not get to land there because of weather. However, in my planning I made up an areial photo and here is the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bakerintn/CruisePixMisc#5277114375477424434

The beach where you will land is on the right (red arrow area) You can see a path that you can take from there to the old lighthouse (yellow area). From there, you can see the path lead to the coast line. Where the path ends is an old dock and small beach. If you want to get a way from the crowds, this little hike might be interesting.

I've been to Great Stirrup Cay(GSC for short), Cocoa Cay, and Princess Cays. They share a lot of similarities but also have some differences. Since you asked specifically about Great Stirrup Cay, I'll focus on that. Unlike some other "private islands", GSC is actually a private island, located in the Berry Island chain in the Bahamas. It's owned solely by NCL, and there are no permanent residents other than maybe someone who works for NCL as an island-keeper. They have a lunch buffet, and it's nothing spectacular and is the same as the other private islands I've been to. It consists of hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, assorted salads, fresh fruit and dessert. They have some picnic tables, hammocks, beach chairs, volley ball nets, walking trails, snorkeling, swimming, and para sailing. There are also several bars that have both soft and alcoholic drinks available. You purchase these with your Sea-Pass card just like you do on the ship. Your soda card will not work on the island. There are of course restrooms, a first aid station and a lost and found area. If I remember correctly, vendors are brought in by boat to sell their crafts and a straw market they set up. (I'm not 100% sure of this, as I may be getting some of the private islands mixed up when it comes to straw markets) In my opinion the snorkeling at GSC is not to be missed. It's a man made reef, and they've attracted A LOT of sea life. The area is pretty large so you're not bumping into other people like I've experienced at other private islands. As far as secrets go, I don't know if this is a secret, but there are several hiking trails around the island that lead to a helicopter landing area and a light house. GSC was used as a military installation at one point, so there are remnants of a satellite tracking station there also. I think most people focus on the beach and they don't venture on the trails. As far as cons go, I can't really think of any except that since its truly a private island, amenities are limited. Princess Cay for example is actually the southern tip of the island of Eleuthera, so its not really a private island. Since this is an inhabited island, there is a larger craft market, along gift shops. I still prefer GSC though because it's truly a private island.

Here are a couple of tips based on my recent experience with GSC:

• Definitely try to get on one of the earlier tenders. Towards 10-11 a.m., the lines get ridiculously long.
  • When you get to GSC make a right off of the boat instead of a left. This side of the beach is less crowded and there are more chairs.
  • Definitely bring water shoes there because it can be a little rocky and also the sand on the island is different- not as smooth, crabs, and fleas also.
  • If you are renting snorkeling equipment, try to get it as soon as you get there so you get the sizes you need.
  • Buy your own float/raft before the cruise and bring it with you to GSC. NCL charges $26 (!!) to rent one of their floats. Rip off!

We personally did not stay on the island very long. We stayed a couple of hours then went back to the ship which we practically had to ourselves. It was nice!

Get to the island as soon as possible. If you think chair hogging is bad on board, well....

When you get off the tender, go left if you want soft sand to wade and swim by the water's edge. The area to the left fills up very quickly. Go right if you you do not plan to go into the water. The terrain is very rocky just by the water's edge if you go right.

There is not much to the island. We always want to find a shady spot and we go right and walk towards the shack for ski jet rentals. About half way there is a stand of trees with some sand under them.

The seagulls are very brazen. They will grab food off of your plate as you are carrying your food to the table. Use another plate as a cover to prevent this. My boys didn't have any trouble getting soda using their soda cards while there.

For those who have visited the private island, what are the pro's and con's........also what are some of the "secrets" most may not know so we can enjoy the island as much as possible.....

thanks!

If you can get a hammock and guard it with your life... if you have a couple of people you can share snorkel and not pay for snorkel equipment for everyone....like two sets. My daughter and I could have shered...especially since one of us had to stay with our stuff and the hammock all day......

For those who have visited the private island, what are the pro's and con's........also what are some of the "secrets" most may not know so we can enjoy the island as much as possible.....

thanks!

NCL's private island is fantastic! Not to be missed! I think everyone should get off the ship and really enjoy this great excursion! :D:D:D

I agree with many other posters, get on a tender early! When we went there we were on one of the first tenders and as soon as we got off we headed off to the left and found the trail. We walked across the island to a little dock. It was such a nice hike. There are lizards, hermit crabs, old military buildings, heli pad, lighthouse and some beautiful side trails that offer a view you will not find sitting at the beach. Once we got to the other side we were the only one's there, it was so nice. After we walked back we rented a large float raft and floated in the ocean for a few hours. The bbq was good, just your usual bbq food but it hit the spot for us. We really enjoyed GSC and were bummed when we had to skip it on our last cruise due to the weather.

Do you need to get on any boat to get to the snorkeling, or is it right off the water?

Are the fees just to rent the snorkeling gear?

You can snorkel right in the water, there is a designated area for snorkeling on the left side of the beach. You get to go out pretty far and you see a lot of cool fish!

Def. get out there early. Take your own snorkel gear if you want to save $$.

We went as far out as almost between the two rocks and could still stand. We found that most of the fish hung out by the rock (coral?) piece out there. We saw about 5 different types of fish.

Take some water shoes or crocs, the bottom is rocky. Maybe take an underwater camera? I mean, this isn't FAB snorkeling by any stretch of the imagination, but if you're an amateur, it'll be suffice!

The BBQ is BBQed food, not BBQ sandwiches (as we know it here in the south). I was a little bummed by that, but the food really wasn't bad. I was just craving a BBQ sandwich.

The shopping there? Wasn't to die for. Seemed more expensive than the straw market in Nassau, so you may want to get your souvenirs beforehand.

Make sure you get on the ferry when there's one loading, if not...you could be waiting a while - it was super hot and I began to get pretty weak, faint and nauseous (but I'm pregnant).

HTH?

As one who hates lines, we did just the opposite of the other posters. We enjoyed a nice quiet ship in the morning, did a little trivia and Wii, enjoyed a Bloody Mary and had an early lunch on the ship. Then we hopped on an almost empty tender, found now abandoned hammocks and had a great afternoon. It worked for us.

As one who hates lines, we did just the opposite of the other posters. We enjoyed a nice quiet ship in the morning, did a little trivia and Wii, enjoyed a Bloody Mary and had an early lunch on the ship. Then we hopped on an almost empty tender, found now abandoned hammocks and had a great afternoon. It worked for us.

Having been to the isle a few times, we now just stay on the ship and enjoy the quiet pool area too!

BTW - If you do go on the island and want to go exploring, bring bug spray.

thanks!

i don't think there are any secrets. just get there early if you want a lounge chair. (i'm not trying to start a chair hog debate).

also, beware of the seagulls! they are aggressive and will swoop down on your plate of food and take what they can. many of them position themselves at that bar right in front of the food area. they swoop right down from there.

There are lots of posts about GSC on the Cruise Critic Ports of Call board....it will be under "Private Islands"

here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

That is if you have the time to sort through all of the threads. In first couple of pages only a couple about GSC. Not much info though.

Get to the island as soon as possible. If you think chair hogging is bad on board, well....

When you get off the tender, go left if you want soft sand to wade and swim by the water's edge. The area to the left fills up very quickly. Go right if you you do not plan to go into the water. The terrain is very rocky just by the water's edge if you go right.

There is not much to the island. We always want to find a shady spot and we go right and walk towards the shack for ski jet rentals. About half way there is a stand of trees with some sand under them.

ahhh...but that was the appeal for us. seeing how it was rocky...many people opted elsewhere. all the lounge chairs filled up eventually...but it was far more relaxing on that side...and it's closer to the food.

NCL's private island is fantastic! Not to be missed! I think everyone should get off the ship and really enjoy this great excursion! :D:D:D

Not sure I totally agree even though it's OK. A day at a beach is still a pretty good one.

IMHO, all of the private island's get crowded quickly, have typical amenities and you can't buy cheap beer like the other destinations. I still enjoy but I see within the next few cruises, it may be a "stay on the boat" day, laying next to the pool.

I view days of the ship as getting away from touristy things and enjoy the local flavor. In some of the more tourist manufactured ports, I will do an excursion as touristy is what I try to get away from. A private island to me is a bit of the same thing.

It has good sand and things to do but seems like going to a crowded beach in the US to me.

Not sure I totally agree even though it's OK. A day at a beach is still a pretty good one.

IMHO, all of the private island's get crowded quickly, have typical amenities and you can't buy cheap beer like the other destinations. I still enjoy but I see within the next few cruises, it may be a "stay on the boat" day, laying next to the pool.

I view days of the ship as getting away from touristy things and enjoy the local flavor. In some of the more tourist manufactured ports, I will do an excursion as touristy is what I try to get away from. A private island to me is a bit of the same thing.

It has good sand and things to do but seems like going to a crowded beach in the US to me.

i know what you are saying...BUT...a day at GSC is better than any wknd at the Jersey shore. such a waste of time driving down the Garden State Parkway.

i know what you are saying...BUT...a day at GSC is better than any wknd at the Jersey shore. such a waste of time driving down the Garden State Parkway.

Totally agree. Or in my case, trying to find an ocean in Colorado.....

Archived