Great Stirrup Cay

Sunnystone

Unlike some other "private islands", GSC is actually a private island, located in the Berry Island chain in the Bahamas. It's owned solely by NCL, and there are no permanent residents other than maybe someone who works for NCL as an island-keeper

FWIW, there is a sign about 1/2 way on the path across the island that states, "Leaving NCL Property".

• 3 weeks later...

I think there are many secrets to this special island. A few: 1. The bar that has shade hardly ever has people sitting there or using the picnic tables there. 2. I prefer eating lunch on the ship, then going to the island. The con is you miss the organized activities if that is your thing. 3. Going beyond the "leaving NCL property" is very interesting and explorative. Make sure you bring water though...it gets hot on the trail. 4. The trail beyond the lighthouse has a tiny beach with serene water. The con is that I have seen people swim near shore and pull up glass from the water. 5. If you are really good at finding secret entrances through the woods to the long white beach viewed from the number 4 area, then you will find another secret opening in the woods at that end...which leads to a rocky beach. The con is that the water looks very dangerous there and you should definitely not swim there. The pro is that it is absolutely beautiful and good for pictures. Bring a watch to keep track of time and go in a group...wear a hat so things do not land on your head as you blaze through the path through the trees. My guess is that the walk is about 3.5 miles.

If anyone goes soon tell the guy with the gold tooth (he is one of seven who lives on the island) that a tall blonde whom he promised a catch of the day lobster dinner to back in April missed him on last trip but is returning on October 23, 2009. I won't eat on the ship this time. LOL

coka

Looking at the ocean & the ship I walked all the way to the left over the rocky terraine & at the end I literally found Coco Cay, RCI's private island. It was so close I could have swum over. Without a lifeguard I am not dumb enough to try it but I was soooo dissapointed. I had no idea they were that close. Looking at another map I now understand that you can see Castaway Cay, Disney's island off the otherside of Coco Cay.

In all candor, GSC was an OK beach day but it is one of the few things I think RCI does better. Everything was just fresher, cleaner & brighter over there.

• 2 months later...
Dose anyone know if they offered any spa treatements while you're on the private island??

Not only is the spa open, but a few times they also offered massages on the beach.

I missed the guy with the gold tooth! We did not stop in October due to wind/waves. So if you are going soon and see the guy with the gold tooth, please tell him he will need to go lobster fishing the morning of February 26, 2010!

coka

We have not been to GSC for over 5 years. Twice we could not go because of high seas. We were on the Norway and they had those two huge tenders (Little Norway 1 & 2) and I noticed that GSC had another one like those on the Norway. Are all three of those tenders at GSC? I think they held about 400 people each.

We have not been to GSC for over 5 years. Twice we could not go because of high seas. We were on the Norway and they had those two huge tenders (Little Norway 1 & 2) and I noticed that GSC had another one like those on the Norway. Are all three of those tenders at GSC? I think they held about 400 people each.

I didn't see the tenders on board the sky, so I presume the dock them at the island.

I didn't see the tenders on board the sky, so I presume the dock them at the island.

We were on the Dawn last November/December. They had 3 converted WWII converted landing craft used as Tenders. They hold a lot of people. I'm thinking 150 each if memory serves me correctly and they run continuously. Very well organized.

We were on the Dawn last November/December. They had 3 converted WWII converted landing craft used as Tenders. They hold a lot of people. I'm thinking 150 each if memory serves me correctly and they run continuously. Very well organized.

Two of the three are the Little Norway I and II, which were actually tenders that were from the Norway.

It's been a while since we were at GSC (Dec 06 & Dec 07) but at that time there were no jet skis, kayaks or things like that. All there was were floats, snorkeling, the BBQ and the small market. The first trip I loved GSC. Beautiful day, calm waters, tons of fun. We went over on the 1st trip and came back on almost the last one. The second time we were there the sand fleas found me and drove me crazy. I lasted about 1 1/2 hrs and had to go back to the ship. I think if we had a stop there again, I would really consider staying on the ship and enjoying the solitude.

When I went in April 2009 (Dawn), they allowed the people who purchased the "snorkeling" excursion on the tenders first. The rest of us had to take tickets resulting in getting there a whole lot later. If you don't sign up for that get to the tender ticket person early (7:30)

Things I brought that made the trip to GSC better? A spray water bottle, cheap beach towels (if you can't find a chair, you can sit on them) and two 2.99 tubes(to float) I also enjoyed some reading materials as I do on every part of the cruise!

Archived