Genoa train station/Cinque Terre

saamk67

Does anyone know the distance from the cruise port in Genoa to the train station (Piazza Principe)? We want to do Cinque Terre on our own, which seems relatively easy once you take the train to Monterusso.

Would appreciate any input/info from anyone who has done this on their own.

:D Thanks

It is very close to Staziona Marittima the site of the cruise ships dock. When we were there on the Fantasia in June we walked to Staziona Brignole which is much farther. You can see by the map (available from ship) that it would be less than 10 minutes to walk to.

The Principe Station is very close to the port (Stazione Marittima). If you are not carrying luggage it is walkable. The train ride to the Cinque Terre is absolutely beautiful! I've done the train ride many times. I just love that area of Italy.

Joan

The Principe Station is very close to the port (Stazione Marittima). If you are not carrying luggage it is walkable. The train ride to the Cinque Terre is absolutely beautiful! I've done the train ride many times. I just love that area of Italy.

Joan

Thanks Joan - just what I needed to know! :)

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know the distance from the cruise port in Genoa to the train station (Piazza Principe)? We want to do Cinque Terre on our own, which seems relatively easy once you take the train to Monterusso.

Would appreciate any input/info from anyone who has done this on their own.

:D Thanks

Depends to the cruise terminal:

if your ship berth Ponte dei Mille it's more or less opposite and you can make it in 5 minutes.

if your ship berth Andrea Doria it's 5 minutes more to walk.

2009MSCFTS01034-vi.jpg

This picture is taken from our balcony on MSC FANTASIA while we berthed at Andrea Doria Terminal.

Right you see Ponte dei Mille Terminal:

Look to the left: you have to "cross" the elevated street by walking under and if you continue 2 minutes you are at the back side of the train station PP (Piazza Principe).

When you are on the square after the elevated bridge there is a stairway to the lower platforms of the train station. If you go down you find only elevators and escelators which takes you up to the station hall and you do not need to walk all the hill up.

2009MSCFTS00127-vi.jpg

2009MSCFTS00126-vi.jpg

It was nice in Cinque Terre.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

Heinbloed,

On one of the other threads you gave a link to the train schedules. This was very helpful of you-Thanks! Question I have is there are only some times that are checkable to reserve on line. Are the other times "open" for all to purchase tickets in the station? Do you know if they often fill up? We want to go to Santa Margeharita.

Lots of options of types of trains and what stops they make- I guess we just choose one that shows that stops ?

Thanks for any other suggestions.

Sam

Heinbloed,

On one of the other threads you gave a link to the train schedules. This was very helpful of you-Thanks! Question I have is there are only some times that are checkable to reserve on line. Are the other times "open" for all to purchase tickets in the station? Do you know if they often fill up? Lots of options of types of trains and what stops they make- I guess we just choose one while there that goes to where we want that stops in Santa Margeharita?

thanks for any other suggestions.

Sam

Heinbloed,

On one of the other threads you gave a link to the train schedules. This was very helpful of you-Thanks! Question I have is there are only some times that are checkable to reserve on line. Are the other times "open" for all to purchase tickets in the station? Do you know if they often fill up? Lots of options of types of trains and what stops they make- I guess we just choose one while there that goes to where we want that stops in Santa Margeharita?

Sam

You cannot purchase the tickets from Trenitalia online from the US. There really is not need to. You will be taking (in all probability) a Regionale train and those are non reserved, unassigned seats.

Question I have is there are only some times that are checkable to reserve on line. Are the other times "open" for all to purchase tickets in the station? Do you know if they often fill up? Lots of options of types of trains and what stops they make- I guess we just choose one while there that goes to where we want that stops in Santa Margeharita?

First, and most important, most of the trains between Genova and Santa Margherita are regional trains, which cannot be reserved in advance. Italians can purchase tickets for these trains up to a week prior to the train and have the ticket sent to their phone, but this function won't work internationally (at least not to North American phone numbers).

There is one InterCity (IC) train each morning that can be reserved, but again, the Trenitalia site is not set up to accept non-Italian credit cards. Occasionally folks get it to work, but don't count on it.

Bottom line, you will be able to get a ticket at the last minute, and you're better off doing that anyway. Your plans might change due to late arrival at the port, or weather, or any number of things.

There is one InterCity (IC) train each morning that can be reserved, but again, the Trenitalia site is not set up to accept non-Italian credit cards. Occasionally folks get it to work, but don't count on it.

If you read the instructions on Trenitalia's website with care you can buy tickets:

FSTicket-vi.jpg

It's true that non-Italian Credit Cards are not accepted BUT ONLY American Express.

If you have MasterCard and Visa it's accepted SUBJECT you are registered for Secure MasterCard or Verisign by Visa.

If you do not allow pop-ups the website for Secure MasterCard / Verisign by Visa cannot appear.

After this was entered we had access to high-discouted tickets upto 30% to regular price which you need to buy 15 days at least ahead of your travel.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thanks for the input Euro and GSP!

From your experiences, is Train to Rapallo and explore and then back to S. Margherite and walk /bus to Portofino good- or

train to St Margherite walk/bus Porofino then on way back to Genoa stop in Camogli before going back to Genoa.

Will these be too much waiting on multiple trains-just go to one and come back?

In Portofino we were looking at doing the hikes to St Georges and possibly Brown Castle.

Thanks so much,

Sam

Heinbloed,

Sam

It's only a 35 minutes ride from Genoa to S. Margharita Ligure by regional trains.

If you prefer to go a quicker connection you can use one of the InterCity Trains which are leaving a couple of time per day (NOT JUST ONCE PER DAY LIKE OTHER SAID!!! - like tomorrow:

by InterCity

07.47 hrs

09.47 hrs

13.47 hrs

17.48 hrs

20.01 hrs

21.59 hrs

So more than one InterCity train...

Full fare on InterCity it's 8.00 EUR in 1st and 2nd class.

If you buy by internet discounted tickets it would be 6.00 EUR in 2nd class and 6.50 EUR in 1st class.

It would not make too much sense to buy as the savings would not be too much. So to have your full flexibility I would buy at the train station.

You can also buy at shorter notice tickets for regional trains in internet (7 days in advance):

FSGenovaS_Marg-vi.jpg

Like you can see here you can book tickets for regional trains (2.40 EUR in 2nd class and 3.60 EUR in 1st class).

We will do it when we go in October for S. Margharita Ligure.

I do not want to queue for my ticket. What I have in my pocket I have.

And the loss of 3.60 EUR for a 1st class ticket is very fine for me.

Try it yourself 7 days in advance.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c79686605528a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

Are you staying for S. Margaritha or are you also plan to go to Portofino???

Princess canceled our stop in Portofino so we want to go out of Livorno to see what we miss...

Regards

HeinBloed

It is possible to take a boat from Santa Margherita to Portofino and then another boat from Portofino to Camogli it may depend on which month you are travelling if they are all running. When we have visited the area used the boat alot more than train/bus. Would think including Rapallo as well might be too much or maybe include Rapallo and miss Camogli.

It is possible to take a boat from Santa Margherita to Portofino and then another boat from Portofino to Camogli it may depend on which month you are travelling if they are all running. When we have visited the area used the boat alot more than train/bus. Would think including Rapallo as well might be too much or maybe include Rapallo and miss Camogli.

Hi,

You've more or less answered a question I was on the verge of posting. My wife and I will be in Genoa in October and intend taking the train to Santa Margherita. I know the ferry fare to Portofino is 5 Euro, however how often do they sail?

Hi,

You've more or less answered a question I was on the verge of posting. My wife and I will be in Genoa in October and intend taking the train to Santa Margherita. I know the ferry fare to Portofino is 5 Euro, however how often do they sail?

We did the researches to go in October to Portofino as well but found out that last sailing is September 1 for Genoa to Portofino:

http://www.battellierigenova.it/file/e-sfrutt_portof.php

Regards

HeinBloed

If you read the instructions on Trenitalia's website with care you can buy tickets:

It's true that non-Italian Credit Cards are not accepted BUT ONLY American Express.

If you have MasterCard and Visa it's accepted SUBJECT you are registered for Secure MasterCard or Verisign by Visa.

What it says, and what actually happens for American credit cards are not always the same thing.

As I've said before, I do know people who have made it happen, but only after many frustrating failures, and without being able to figure out what they did (or did not) do differently the one time it worked.

Although boat did not run through to Genoa (think it only runs to Genoa in high season - August) when we last visited in October a couple of years ago it did still run to Portofino from Santa Margherita, it was very frequent cannot remember exactly but I would guess at about every half an hour. The boat from Rapallo was the same boat you could get a ticket through from Rapallo to Portofino and get off at Santa Margherita. We took the boat from Portofino to Camogli on another trip in May and it was a different boat running from Portofino to San Frutossa, then Camogli.

Although boat did not run through to Genoa (think it only runs to Genoa in high season - August) when we last visited in October a couple of years ago it did still run to Portofino from Santa Margherita, it was very frequent cannot remember exactly but I would guess at about every half an hour. The boat from Rapallo was the same boat you could get a ticket through from Rapallo to Portofino and get off at Santa Margherita. We took the boat from Portofino to Camogli on another trip in May and it was a different boat running from Portofino to San Frutossa, then Camogli.

http://www.golfoparadiso.it/orari/camogli_chiappa_sanfruttuoso.htm

http://www.traghettiportofino.it/eng/linee.html (Line 1)

Thanks Heinbloed, looks as though we'll be taking the bus then from S.M.

Good to see you're still on the site giving good advice. I used your info on our Eurodam Baltic cruise last year for train travel in Germany, and saved a fortune.

Thanks Heinbloed, looks as though we'll be taking the bus then from S.M.

Good to see you're still on the site giving good advice. I used your info on our Eurodam Baltic cruise last year for train travel in Germany, and saved a fortune.

http://www.tigulliotrasporti.it/cartina2.php?sez=TOc&comune=2

Here you find the bus schedule. We need it as well to get next month to Portofino.

The ferry boat just ride twice per day in October.

Have a good time there.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived