New passport actual timeframe

sept10dsm

Just wondering what the average timeframe is currently for a new passport. At our County office, where we applied, they said 6-8 weeks. Thanks for any info!! We both did, a long time ago, have passports but these were not used to apply. I don't know if that hurries the issue or holds it up or nothing.

If we knew where you lived, it would be easier to give a more accurate reply!

In UK, you were told to to allow 3/4 weeks, but I believe that you now have to go through an interview, when applying for a new passport.

We renewed ours 2 years ago and it took 3 days in May 2007, but in peak holiday season it is longer.

I am afraid it is like the old question- "how long is a piece of string?"

My passport "timeline" was 3 1/2 weeks - start to finish. Didn't pay extra to expedite. I applied at my local post office in north Georgia. After a few days, you can track online also!

thanks. We didn't pay extra either. I know we applied in enough time but I just like to keep watch for something like a passport. How do you track online? Thank you again.

Here's the link to check on your passport - I'm surprised I didn't wear it out.... ;-)

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

I know what you mean. I got expediated, and they said 2-3 weeks on the site right before I applied. When we called the post/passport office, they said more lke 2 weeks. (which is good, siince three weeks was/is the cruise date!!) It came in 8 days!! I submitted my own photograh, instead of taking a hideous passport office pic, like I did last tme, so was a bit worried about acceptance of it. However, all was well, and I don''t look like I'm audititioning for America's most Wanted in my new pic.:) I'm on a closed loop cruiise so could technically get away with not having one, but better safe than stranded. (Even though Victoria is a beautiful city to be stranded in, lol.:))

I know what you mean. I got expediated, and they said 2-3 weeks on the site right before I applied. When we called the post/passport office, they said more lke 2 weeks. (which is good, siince three weeks was/is the cruise date!!) It came in 8 days!! I submitted my own photograh, instead of taking a hideous passport office pic, like I did last tme, so was a bit worried about acceptance of it. However, all was well, and I don''t look like I'm audititioning for America's most Wanted in my new pic.:) I'm on a closed loop cruiise so could technically get away with not having one, but better safe than stranded. (Even though Victoria is a beautiful city to be stranded in, lol.:))

Don't you still need one now? I thought so, but I could be wrong. We're doing basically the same NY/NY (2 stops in Canada) and they said we did need a passport now.

If you put your e-mail address in on the page where you track your passport they will send you an e-mail when they put the passport in the mail. They do not however, put a timeline in that website like if you were tracking a package. I applied for mine a few months ago and I got it in a little over three weeks, not expidited. Good luck;)

We got our DD's passport in about 6 wks. They did email us when they sent the passport. Unfortunately, we received that email several days after we go the dox. :)

This sure beats the time frame sev yrs ago! I renewed by passport in 2007 and it took 4 months to get it.

We got our DD's passport in about 6 wks. They did email us when they sent the passport. Unfortunately, we received that email several days after we go the dox. :)

This sure beats the time frame sev yrs ago! I renewed by passport in 2007 and it took 4 months to get it.

They actually emailed me today after I checked yesterday just to say the same as on the inquiry page. Yes, back in 2007 was when many had to apply that didn't need passports before, they even extended the timeframe for cruises and land entries I think to give more time to the government to get on a better turnaround time. Thanks!!

My DH's PP arrived 3 weeks to the day he applied for his. We didnt fast track it either. I had to do a name change for mine, and it too only took 3 weeks almost to the day. We were super suprised at how quickly it came back!:D Btw, this was in March of this year.

My DH's PP arrived 3 weeks to the day he applied for his. We didnt fast track it either. I had to do a name change for mine, and it too only took 3 weeks almost to the day. We were super suprised at how quickly it came back!:D Btw, this was in March of this year.

My 3 week mark will be on Fri. Maybe that will be the day! Thanks.

I know what you mean by the "hideous passport office photo" - that's what I have! *LOL* I had the passport photo person laughing because I was criticizing the fluorescent lighting - background - etc & asked if I could see a few pics "for approval" *GRIN* When I asked her if she could do a little quick photo-shop - she said "You're crazy!" :-)

I noticed the website changed the "status" of my passport once it had been processed - that was pretty timely & stated I'd receive it in 5-8 days I believe. They also included a link for the USPS mailing - but like others - I received my passport before the USPS status was updated! :-)

I'm also on a "closed loop" sailing and wouldn't necessarily have to have a passport for the cruise - but did some research & found out that if something happened - an accident, etc - a passport would be needed to regain entry to the US by air. I'm an optimist - but better safe than sorry I think! :-) so I went ahead & got it this go-round!

Happy Cruising to all !!!

I know what you mean by the "hideous passport office photo" - that's what I have! *LOL* I had the passport photo person laughing because I was criticizing the fluorescent lighting - background - etc & asked if I could see a few pics "for approval" *GRIN* When I asked her if she could do a little quick photo-shop - she said "You're crazy!" :-)

I noticed the website changed the "status" of my passport once it had been processed - that was pretty timely & stated I'd receive it in 5-8 days I believe. They also included a link for the USPS mailing - but like others - I received my passport before the USPS status was updated! :-)

I'm also on a "closed loop" sailing and wouldn't necessarily have to have a passport for the cruise - but did some research & found out that if something happened - an accident, etc - a passport would be needed to regain entry to the US by air. I'm an optimist - but better safe than sorry I think! :-) so I went ahead & got it this go-round!

Happy Cruising to all !!!

Yesterday mine did already say processed so I guess it will be soon. Also, just wondering about the closed loop cruises. I thought you did need a passport or card after June 2009 for land/ship entry. Just wondering.

My wife and I applied on 7/22 and we are 4 1/2 weeks in to our application and NO PP yet :mad: . I have called to get answers, but are told that they are still processing and that they say 4-6 weeks from application but that's not concrete:mad:. Its a shame that the government does have a better tracking system or some way for the CS rep to give a more in depth answer, other than its processing :mad: and I can Expedite them for a extra $74.50 each and they can take a CC over the phone :mad:. I think its a shake down for $$$. :mad:

We were leaving on the 8/31 and driving down to spend a few days in Fla to visit some friends before we departed on FOS on the 9/6. If we don't get them in the next week or so, I will be forced to hold off traveling to FLA until the 5th, and that is completely unacceptable:mad:. We were told @ the PO that Expedited processing was not necessary due to us having 5+ weeks to receive them.

I called RCCL and they told me that we could board with Birth Certificates , State issued DL's and Marriage license. I do hope that is true, if not , I'm not going to be a happy camper.

Well, we applied at our county office on July 31 and just the other day found out here that I could check the status on line. Two days ago I did and my message was that it was received and being processed. It also said the 4-6 week timeframe from application. At around one am this morning I received an email stating that my Passport was mailed with a tracking number. The email said it would come bt Aug 25. I will keep you posted! Thanks for the help!

In UK, you were told to to allow 3/4 weeks, but I believe that you now have to go through an interview, when applying for a new passport.

Thought it worth clarifying that, here in the UK, the requirement to go through an interview applies only to adults who have never before had a British passport in their own name. It does not apply to applications for renewing or extending an existing passport.

CU on board-f course, for 10 years babies have to hold their own passport, so I think the interviews are actually targeting ' newcomers.'

BTW 'holding has a double meaning; one time, my grandson, then aged 5 months, was literally made to hold his own passport, by an immigration officer at Manchester Airport. I think she must have been 'Working to Rule.' (or had a hard day!)

sept10dsm - glad that thinks are working out.

VC- Racing- I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I am on a day visit to Ventura 01.09.09 & need to show my passport- for security, as I do not have a photo ID driver's licence. I have a Government issued bus pass, but that does not have the chip with all my information; it would be much easier if we could have ID cards, but that is another story.

I just wanted to say that embarkation in Southampton just over a month ago at the new 'Ocean Terminal' was regimented and only took 1 hr from Novotel ( near the railway station) to eating in the Belvedere ( deck 9 -Arcadia)

We dis -embarked at QE2 Terminal & that was just as well organised. Our car had even been moved by CPS. There were 4 ships in Southampton on July 31st &I must admit many passenger envisiged problems, but traffic was light- no problems, no complaints.

CU on board-f course, for 10 years babies have to hold their own passport, so I think the interviews are actually targeting ' newcomers.'

BTW 'holding has a double meaning; one time, my grandson, then aged 5 months, was literally made to hold his own passport, by an immigration officer at Manchester Airport. I think she must have been 'Working to Rule.' (or had a hard day!)

sept10dsm - glad that thinks are working out.

VC- Racing- I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I am on a day visit to Ventura 01.09.09 & need to show my passport- for security, as I do not have a photo ID driver's licence. I have a Government issued bus pass, but that does not have the chip with all my information; it would be much easier if we could have ID cards, but that is another story.

Thanks!

I applied on July 13th at P.O. They said I had everything I needed, took pictures, and on its way it went. Two weeks ago, nearly a month after it was applied for, I got a call from state dept. saying I needed to send affadavits to verify my maiden name/current name, and copy of marriage license. I wasn't told this earlier at P.O. Anyway, got all that notarized and sent. Today I got notice that it was approved and I will receive it by August 19th. That will be almost exactly 6 weeks from application date. WHEW!

So, if you know for sure you have all your info sent in correctly, like most do, then probably you will be on the short time frame. If there are any extra needed papers they will contact you, and it will add another two weeks at least to the process. They say 4-6 weeks normally, and by golly that is what they meant, for me anyway....haha.

Anyway, I am happy that mine will be here in time for my Sept. 12 cruise. Although I know I could go on the closed loop without a passport, I wanted it, just in case.

I applied on July 13th at P.O. They said I had everything I needed, took pictures, and on its way it went. Two weeks ago, nearly a month after it was applied for, I got a call from state dept. saying I needed to send affadavits to verify my maiden name/current name, and copy of marriage license. I wasn't told this earlier at P.O. Anyway, got all that notarized and sent. Today I got notice that it was approved and I will receive it by August 19th. That will be almost exactly 6 weeks from application date. WHEW!

So, if you know for sure you have all your info sent in correctly, like most do, then probably you will be on the short time frame. If there are any extra needed papers they will contact you, and it will add another two weeks at least to the process. They say 4-6 weeks normally, and by golly that is what they meant, for me anyway....haha.

Anyway, I am happy that mine will be here in time for my Sept. 12 cruise. Although I know I could go on the closed loop without a passport, I wanted it, just in case.

I mean it will arrive August 29th....

Archived