Cabin on Oosterdam

bicoastalbabe

We are taking the Panama Canal cruise on Nov. 2 on the Oosterdam. We currently have a VA cabin on Rotterdam deck, and have the opportunity to be upgraded to a SY suite on Upper verandah deck. The reservation agent at HAL said not to do it because the balconies on SY are exposed above and there is no privacy on the balcony. Something about the deck above being set back leaving the SY decks open.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the exact configuration? Are the SY suites are significantly larger than the VA cabins?

Thanks,

Linda

We are taking the Panama Canal cruise on Nov. 2 on the Oosterdam. We currently have a VA cabin on Rotterdam deck, and have the opportunity to be upgraded to a SY suite on Upper verandah deck. The reservation agent at HAL said not to do it because the balconies on SY are exposed above and there is no privacy on the balcony. Something about the deck above being set back leaving the SY decks open.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the exact configuration? Are the SY suites are significantly larger than the VA cabins?

Thanks,

Linda

TAKE IT!! We had an SA upgrade from VF to SY (Yes it does happen) on the ms Westerdam this pat May. We were mid ship, fore of the glass elevators in SA 7076 and looked straight down with NO ability to see into a veranda below us.

I don't know about the exposure situation since we have never been in an SY but the difference between an SY and a VA is 249 sq ft vs. 389 sq ft. --- Its a larger room with a tub and a shower and double sinks. But it all depends on the price of the upsell. If its an upgrade (no charge) then I'd take it in a heart beat. ---- see you at the Meet and Greet.

Thanks,

Linda

Hi Linda,

Can you give some more info on the upgrade opportunity? Did they offer it to you out of the blue? Are they asking for a hefty sum? As the others have said, the SS, SZ, and SY categories are about 1.5 times the size of VA. Plenty of room for lounging about...

:D:D:D

Just spent 12 days in an SY cabin on the Oosterdam and it was excellent. Starboard side just a few cabins forward of the glass elevators. Balcony was totally private and large enough for a dining table and chairs as well as two armchairs with ottomans and a small cocktail table. Bathroom large with full size tub, freestanding shower, double sink vanity and double medicine chests. Stateroom spacious with full size sofa and two chairs and lots of storage. I would absolutely book this category again.

Thanks,

Linda

Hi,

We have had a SY and they are nice. It was on a Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam. The deck and bathroom is very nice. When we did our Panama Canal cruise, we made sure we were on the North side of the ship. we were told it gets to hot on the south side. We are doing the Eurodam soon and they asked if we wanted to upgrade to a SY. We have a VA now. They wanted $399 pp to upgrade. We decided not to spend the $800. If we had booked a low end balcony, I'm sure we would have taken the offer.

Bigbenboys

TAKE IT!! We had an SA upgrade from VF to SY (Yes it does happen) on the ms Westerdam this pat May. We were mid ship, fore of the glass elevators in SA 7076 and looked straight down with NO ability to see into a veranda below us.

Could people on the veranda above you look down on you?

Only if they lean waaay over the railing and look down and backwards.

We were in an SY on the Westerdam and the deck above could not look down on us. The ones who can look into your balcony are the ones fore and aft. I could lean over the railing and see many of the balconies toward the front of the ship. Didn't matter, just saw other people standing on their balconies at the railing.

What do you plan on doing on your balcony that you don't want people to see?

Here's a couple of pictures that might help you. We were on the upper verandah deck. (deck 6 on the Westerdam)

First one is a side view from our balcony, you can partially see other balconies, but only if people were standing at their railing.

Second one shows the balconies and how much overhand there is, shows how the passengers above you cannot see into your balcony.

931401891_035_GB_insight.jpg.bb2fa6f460546128fc6cfee5333abd4d.jpg

089_wheresRo.jpg.5ea32d9d71662640ed1c7b51d629c57e.jpg

Hey, thanks everyone. The upgrade would be a paid upgrade. And it would be into a guarrantee. I was just wondering if it might be worth it for once to really go in style.

I was contemplating this issue some more with the deck plan in hand and thinking that if it were to SY it would be great. But if it were to SS that might not be so good for two reasons: the balcony would not be covered (i.e. shaded) and I am a sun avoider and even more important I was reading a report on another board from someone who was on the Oosterdam in an SS (they are on Navigation Deck just under Lido with the pool, etc.) and they heard every footstep and chair scrape. They got no sleep and even missed going into couple of the ports because they were so tired. So ... Yes it would be very nice to have the space, etc., but not at the cost of noise. :(

Does anyone know if you buy a guarantee can you put any kind of condition on it - like I'll take SY but not SS?

Thanks again for all the help everyone.:)

Does anyone know if you buy a guarantee can you put any kind of condition on it - like I'll take SY but not SS?

Thanks again for all the help everyone.:)

No, you can't put a condition on a guarantee. BUT you can decline an upgrade. We declined an "upgrade" (if you can call it that) from an SY to an SS. (We had originally started with a VF cabin). Our TA had to call HAL to get us moved from the SS upgrade back into the SY they had originally upgraded us to.

Just be aware that if they upgrade you from your VA to an SS, and you decline the SS that you may be back in the VA.

I do not think so. Also, our cabin/stateroom on the Oosterdam was just foreward of the lifeboats, so we had an unimpeded view straight down to the water, and on the Westerdam we were well foreward of both the lifeboats and tenders. I have a few shots of both our VF and SY veranda shots in my Alaska slideshows below. On the Oosterdam the lifeboat just to our left was really neat in Victoria BC. We had 1 seagull that stayed on top of it, literally begging for food and attention. Of course we did not feed it, but it sure did a heck of a lot of prancing about trying.:)

I must confess to being confused. I decided not to do the paid upgrade into SZ guarantee. Good thing too, because when I called over another issue I discovered it wasn't available any more.

The confusion: I asked about HAL free upgrades and the HAL person said that they are usually done just before the cruise and you find out about it when you arrive to board. And they don't send out notices so you can't refuse it and get your old cabin back if you allow upgrades. The only way to assure your old cabin is to not allow upgrades.

So who's on first here? Did she lie? Not know? Is it different if you use a TA? :confused:

Keep checking in the "Online Checkin" portion - you'll see your cabin assignment.

Around 2 weeks, sometimes as soon as 10 days, before the cruise date, you'll see if you got a "Free" upgrade.

If you're in a GTY cabin, keep checking for it to change from GUAR to a cabin, which can happen from 60 days to 14 days out.

Keep checking in the "Online Checkin" portion - you'll see your cabin assignment.

Around 2 weeks, sometimes as soon as 10 days, before the cruise date, you'll see if you got a "Free" upgrade.

If you're in a GTY cabin, keep checking for it to change from GUAR to a cabin, which can happen from 60 days to 14 days out.

Thanks. We often take a guarantee. But not this time. I rotate between spending less/ traveling more and splurging a little if it seems to be a good deal, so I don't often face this kind of a problem.

I find an outside cabin doesn't do a lot more for me than an inside. Since I am short I don't see much out of the window anyway. With a balcony (with a clear railing) however, I can see the ocean and the light is nice, even if we don't go out or even open the door (a likely occurence on warm weather cruises since I am not a fan of heat or sun).

I'm actually the same way - I could take or leave the balcony, window, whatever.

DH, however, loves to hang out on the Balcony in his undies in the morning ;)

And, on our sailing (since we're on the same one), people say the Balcony is the best place to be to experience the canal day, so can hang out there.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm probably going to regret asking but...Gwen and I have a guaranteed VH, just how bad is this going to be on the Oosterdam? Anybody know?? My TA is being less than helpful..should I try to upgrade?? We've paid in full. Thanks, Shar

My guess is you will not get a VH. There is only 4 of them and they are already booked by other people (only guarantees avail), so you will likely receive an upgrade to another balcony room (no promises there though).

We booked a VH guarantee last year on the Oosterdam and ended up in a VA. All the balcony rooms are the same size inside, just a few small differences to some of the balconies, so you will most likely get a great room you will be happy with.

If you are concerned about the chance you might get a room with a steel railing instead of glass which the VH rooms and some of the VF on the lowest deck have, you might pay extra to a VE or VD guarantee.

Good luck and let us know how you go!!!

Bruce... :D:D:D

Archived