Feeding fish when snorkeling?

mrsh2os

We're planning to snorkel off the beach at Dzul Ha in Cozumel. A previous time we were there, a boat of snorkelers on an excursion came along (at about 10 times the price we paid to do it on our own). The only advantage I saw was that they had food to feed the fish so it attracted a lot of them. What would I need to bring to feed the fish? Where would I get it? Is this safe?

Please don't feed fish when snorkeling. It is bad for the coral reef environment. For one thing it reduces the water quality, and can harm some fish that can not process the starch.

But the worse result of baiting is that aggressive fish like Sargent Majors will take over reefs where feeding is common. Smaller and less aggressive fish will die out very quickly after the balance is thrown off. What you are left with is a dead reef covered in one or two species that attack swimmers looking for food. The Sargent Majors are called Bahama Piranha when this happens and will swarm snorkeler and even bite your legs and arms.

Just enjoy the reef the way it is and leave it pristine for the next guy.

Thanks for the ideas of cheerios and crackers. Bruce-r, why do you not recommend it, and where would I buy actual fish food?

Islandbear gave the same answer I would have given.

Also, with long term feeding, it teaches fish to depend on humans for their food rather than work to get their natural food source. It throws nature out of balance. A prime example is Stingray City on Grand Cayman. The stingrays there have become dependent on humans for their food.

We're planning to snorkel off the beach at Dzul Ha in Cozumel. A previous time we were there, a boat of snorkelers on an excursion came along (at about 10 times the price we paid to do it on our own). The only advantage I saw was that they had food to feed the fish so it attracted a lot of them. What would I need to bring to feed the fish? Where would I get it? Is this safe?

Milkbones, the dog cookies, cheap and the fish love them. Easy to tuck into your swim suit and don't fall apart too fast. Just crumble one up in the water and spread it around and wait for the swarm!

Milkbones, the dog cookies, cheap and the fish love them. Easy to tuck into your swim suit and don't fall apart too fast. Just crumble one up in the water and spread it around and wait for the swarm!

in St. Thomas, if you are going to Coki beach they will give you doggie cookies to feed the fish...just ask the place where they rent the equipment.. if you rent equipment there they automatically give it to you

Thanks for the information! I will NOT be feeding the fish!

Hi,

I agree, no feeding the fish for all the reasons above, not to mention human food isn't available on the reef so sensitive fish could actually die from ingesting it. Last time I looked I didn't see a cereal box or dogs under the water so please don't use these. If you must feed the fish there are fish food products like http://www.seadine.com/products.html available to use. But this doesn't get over the human dependency problems. Please keep the reef natural. Remember, take only pictures, leave only bubbles. :)

Randall

Hi,

I agree, no feeding the fish for all the reasons above, not to mention human food isn't available on the reef so sensitive fish could actually die from ingesting it. Last time I looked I didn't see a cereal box or dogs under the water so please don't use these. If you must feed the fish there are fish food products like http://www.seadine.com/products.html available to use. But this doesn't get over the human dependency problems. Please keep the reef natural. Remember, take only pictures, leave only bubbles. :)

Randall

What Randall said, in spades!!!!

Snorkeling is such a wonderful activity. The equipement is inexpensive to buy or rent, and the skill level needed to enjoy it is in the range of most people once they are in grade school. My husband and I are in our 60's and still snorkel whenever possible. "Take only pictures, leave only bubbles" is an important motto to preserve the experience for future generations. I'm so glad other posters have been quick to point out the downsides of taking food out to a reef.

Thank you, islandbear, bruce-r and scubaran...I agree, please don't feed the fish or any other animals on the reef...

I am a naturalist diver (and love to photograph sealife) and have often seen folks touching the reef or taking empty shells. My rules are "Take only photos and leave only bubbles" as another poster said, and "Don't touch, don't take."

Incidentally, I have some brief video of a Yellowtail Damselfish (related to Sargent Majors in that they are both damselfish), and they can be quite aggressive. This one is not necessarily aggressive due to feeding, but is instead protecting his brood, which was on the other side of the rock where this video was taken.

Also, triggerfish have been known to take chunks out of folks when hungry also. This gray triggerfish was quite...ummm...friendly and looking for more than a kiss this past weekend!

CIMG4788.jpg

Well, after spending many years on dive boats, I can't say that it's all that unusual to find folks feeding the fish.

Fish-feeding is typically highly correlated with greasy breakfasts (sausage biscuits in particular), major overconsumption of anything the night before, and high wind conditions.

As Captain Tony used to say, "starboard side, port side, any side but the inside!"

Sorry, just couldn't resist... ;) ;) ;)

Seriously now, the previous posters are absolutely right - don't feed the fish.

Wendy

Well, after spending many years on dive boats, I can't say that it's all that unusual to find folks feeding the fish.

Fish-feeding is typically highly correlated with greasy breakfasts (sausage biscuits in particular), major overconsumption of anything the night before, and high wind conditions.

As Captain Tony used to say, "starboard side, port side, any side but the inside!"

Sorry, just couldn't resist... ;) ;) ;)

Seriously now, the previous posters are absolutely right - don't feed the fish.

Wendy

In Key West many of the captains or the crew member who do the "boat-talk" advises heading to the stern and "going for distance."

The "boat-talk" is where they tell the passengers about the boat, where the safety equipment is, what to be aware of (low ceilings, spars, etc) and where the captain and crew is introduced. There is one company that has each passenger introduce themselves and tell where they are from.

The "reef-talk" is different.

Pjk

I'm not sure why this hasn't been mentioned. But Dzul Ha and any other area in Cozumel south of the Puerta Maya Pier all the way to the south point of the island is located in a Marine Reserve Sanctuary. If you are feeding the fish you are actually breaking the law and subject to fines. Would that happen? Most likely not, Could it happen, yes.

Please don't touch and or feed the marine creatures.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

woah... I never known that I shouldn't have feed the fish until I read this post. Great post!

People usually just grabbed some bread and put them into a bag when they go diving (It's just what I usually see :p).

I would never feed the fish again! :cool:

World Cruise - Mini Cruise - All Inclusive Cruise Deals

Please don't feed fish when snorkeling. It is bad for the coral reef environment. For one thing it reduces the water quality, and can harm some fish that can not process the starch.

But the worse result of baiting is that aggressive fish like Sargent Majors will take over reefs where feeding is common. Smaller and less aggressive fish will die out very quickly after the balance is thrown off. What you are left with is a dead reef covered in one or two species that attack swimmers looking for food. The Sargent Majors are called Bahama Piranha when this happens and will swarm snorkeler and even bite your legs and arms.

Just enjoy the reef the way it is and leave it pristine for the next guy.

I find it interesting that you take such a pro environmental stance in your post, then in your signature you advise to "throw the bottle" which is very environmentally unfriendly. Why the inconsistency?

You must be confusing me with a Saint.:p

On the one hand, there are so few coral reefs left in the Caribbean with a wide variety of fish, easily accessed by snorkelers and in my short life snorkeling I have seen the devastating effect feeding has first hand. The effect is quick and quantifiable. It is just not worth the short term thrill of being swarmed by thousands of these beautiful creatures.

On the other hand, As I am sure you have read the infamous thread about THROW THE BOTTLE, it is a much more subtle distinction. Weighed against the joy and magic represented by a message in a bottle to a 10 year old boy, I am going to side with the 10 year old boy.

Archived