Long beach hotel/restaurants

Arizona Laura

Going on the Splendor in Feb 2010.

Would like to know hotel recommendations with cruise parking please.

Also any good restaurants since we will be there 2 nights pre-cruise?

Any restaurants to watch ships at sail away?

In San Pedro watched Sapphire and Norwegian Star leave on Sat afternoon.

Thanks for any input.

Laura

Going on the Splendor in Feb 2010.

Would like to know hotel recommendations with cruise parking please.

Also any good restaurants since we will be there 2 nights pre-cruise?

Any restaurants to watch ships at sail away?

In San Pedro watched Sapphire and Norwegian Star leave on Sat afternoon.

Thanks for any input.

Laura

Laura,

In Long Beach (Long Beach is a very large city in and of itself), there is a very specific area in which you want to stay...the "Convention Center" area (beware, a lot of hotels will call themselves "Convention Center" but are actually in a seedier section north of there).

Here is my "short list" of hotels:

Westin, Hyatt, Renaissance, Marriott Courtyard, Hilton, Maya, new Residence Inn and new Avia...

Maya and Residence Inn are across the bridge, closer to the Carnival pier, but a little farther from shops and restaurants...Westin, Hyatt, Avia and Renaissance are the closest to the shops, restaurants and attractions. There is a free city shuttle called the "Passport" which takes you all over the local area--though most is also walkable.

You won't find too many restaurants from which to watch cruise ships sail away since Carnival is the only line leaving out of the Long Beach side of the harbor and their pier is all the way at the front (ocean-side) end of the harbor (unlike San Pedro where the cruise pier is up the channel and ships pass right by Acapulco, 22nd Street Landing and other restaurants on their way out to sea)...

For the best harbor views (you can see the Queen Mary and the Carnival pier from here), try Parker's Lighthouse...it is at the "point" in Shoreline Village...

Thanks so much for the feedback.

CJW is great and I used his info for San Pedro including sightseeing.

I checked into Westin $400.00 minimum per night. Unless I want to cancel my cruise that is not an option.

Hyatt and Avia have no Park and Cruise packages.

So if you stay there I guess you park at the cruise terminal?

I may have to start a thread on that question.

Will check on the other ones.

Thanks Laura

• 1 month later...
Thanks so much for the feedback.

CJW is great and I used his info for San Pedro including sightseeing.

I checked into Westin $400.00 minimum per night. Unless I want to cancel my cruise that is not an option.

Hyatt and Avia have no Park and Cruise packages.

So if you stay there I guess you park at the cruise terminal?

I may have to start a thread on that question.

Will check on the other ones.

Thanks Laura

Just an idea...I bid on Priceline and "won" the Westin for $75

Agree with Steve that Parker's Lighthouse is going to have the best view of the harbor.

This shot is from the the side of Parker's that faces the Queen Mary.

2201539220102635822S600x600Q85.jpg

Another option would be to get something ToGo from one of the places in shoreline village then walk towards the Marina and go along the bike path ... (which turns right there where I took the Parker's picture) and there will be some benchs along the way that front the harbor. You'll get this view ...

2543354000102635822S600x600Q85.jpg

Unfortunately there's no shade in this area and even in the dead of winter it can get a little on the warm side sitting out in the full sun. Local seagulls and pelicans can get a little aggressive when food is involved.

Thanks so much for the feedback and pics.

The Westin for 65.00 was a great win.

For now since I got the Hilton for 89.00 per night including 9 nights parking, free shuttle and 2 drinks going to stick with that unless I see some bad reviews.

Such hard decisions.

Laura

Thanks so much for the feedback and pics.

The Westin for 65.00 was a great win.

For now since I got the Hilton for 89.00 per night including 9 nights parking, free shuttle and 2 drinks going to stick with that unless I see some bad reviews.

Such hard decisions.

Laura

Hi- where did you get the deal for the Hilton? We also have 2 nights pre-cruise- sounds like this would work for us!!

Bronwyn

Hi- where did you get the deal for the Hilton? We also have 2 nights pre-cruise- sounds like this would work for us!!

Bronwyn

Called the Hilton in LB and landed up speaking to the Revenue Manager and it is the Carnival cruise rate. I told her I posted on Cruise Critic because I was afraid she would say not available but others have received it also. I did ask her to put in the rate per night- 9 night total free parking- 2 drinks in the e-mail so it would be in writing.

Hope it works out for you.

Laura

I was able to book the Carnival rate on the website. In the corporate rate field add this number: 5150026. It shows free parking and free shuttle to the port.

That is good to know. I always book everything by phone because I always have questions.

Oh yeah I forgot to post about the free shuttle both ways there and back.

Laura

I was able to book the Carnival rate on the website. In the corporate rate field add this number: 5150026. It shows free parking and free shuttle to the port.

Thank you for the info! We just booked and are very happy!

We just stayed at the Hilton last weekend before our Splendor cruise at the Carnival rate ($89). The shuttle wasn't available when we were ready to go to the port, so the hotel paid for a taxi for us to go over there. We neglected to ask about the return shuttle so just paid for a taxi ourselves to return to get our car (it was $12 including tip). The hotel was very nice and Mark at the check-in desk is very helpful.

We just stayed at the Hilton last weekend before our Splendor cruise at the Carnival rate ($89). The shuttle wasn't available when we were ready to go to the port, so the hotel paid for a taxi for us to go over there. We neglected to ask about the return shuttle so just paid for a taxi ourselves to return to get our car (it was $12 including tip). The hotel was very nice and Mark at the check-in desk is very helpful.

The return shuttle would have been provided.

Can you tell me did you sign up for a certain time for the shuttle. What was the earliest time available? When were you allowed to sign up for the shuttle. Some hotels make you do starting 24 hrs before some will when you check in.

How was the room? Bedding?

Would you stay there again?

Thanks if you check back on the thread and have a chance to answer any questions.

Laura

The return shuttle would have been provided.

Can you tell me did you sign up for a certain time for the shuttle. What was the earliest time available? When were you allowed to sign up for the shuttle. Some hotels make you do starting 24 hrs before some will when you check in.

How was the room? Bedding?

Would you stay there again?

Thanks if you check back on the thread and have a chance to answer any questions.

Laura

Yes, the return shuttle should have been included, but we neglected to get the information to call them upon our return and didn't want to wait around, so just got a taxi and for $12 it was well worth the speed (and I mean speed, that driver was from NY city, I think - yikes!). There was no list to sign up for the shuttle as we've done at other hotels, they said to just let them know when we were ready, so while DH went down to the garage to get our other suitcases from our car (we planned it so that we took only 1 to our room that night), I went to the front desk and the guy at the desk, Mark, radio'd the shuttle, but it wasn't near (at the airport), so the hotel paid for a taxi for us over to the port, that was about 10:00 or 10:15 I think. The room was very nice, we took some pics which will be on Webshots in a few days, it was very high end, nice bathroom, nice bedding, we had a king room, lots of pillows. Yes, I would stay there again, especially with the special Carnival price, unfortunately it's not available for our next cruise in February. The only downside was the price of drinks at the bar and we weren't thrilled with the restaurant, but otherwise, a very nice hotel. I also did a review on TripAdvisor a while ago, so it should be available in a day or so, including a few of the pics.

Yes, the return shuttle should have been included, but we neglected to get the information to call them upon our return and didn't want to wait around, so just got a taxi and for $12 it was well worth the speed (and I mean speed, that driver was from NY city, I think - yikes!). There was no list to sign up for the shuttle as we've done at other hotels, they said to just let them know when we were ready, so while DH went down to the garage to get our other suitcases from our car (we planned it so that we took only 1 to our room that night), I went to the front desk and the guy at the desk, Mark, radio'd the shuttle, but it wasn't near (at the airport), so the hotel paid for a taxi for us over to the port, that was about 10:00 or 10:15 I think. The room was very nice, we took some pics which will be on Webshots in a few days, it was very high end, nice bathroom, nice bedding, we had a king room, lots of pillows. Yes, I would stay there again, especially with the special Carnival price, unfortunately it's not available for our next cruise in February. The only downside was the price of drinks at the bar and we weren't thrilled with the restaurant, but otherwise, a very nice hotel. I also did a review on TripAdvisor a while ago, so it should be available in a day or so, including a few of the pics.

Thanks so much for the info. Sounds fine for us for the 2 nights.

Laura

We have stayed at the Guesthouse Long Beach last two cruises. About $95/tax included. Shuttle is provided both ways. Decent continental breakfast. There is a Brazillian steakhouse on site, but we walk about 1 1/2 block away to La Piazza. Funky little bar and restaurant with great food and prices. The place is deserted in the early evening. Dinner and adult bevs in about 30 minutes.

Just off of Splendor yesterday.

Had made arrangements in advance at the Hilton Long Beach. Mark is great! Very accomodating. Great rate of $89 which included the room, parking and two drinks for the evening. Although our room was a standard room which was still nice, a couple in our group managed to get a really great room with a balcony and walk in closet. I compared it to a aft wrap on a cruise ship. LOL.

For dinner, I had made reservations for Rockbottom which is about a ten minute walk from the hotel. I had called them in advance since we were to have 7 people with us. I wanted to make sure that they could accomodate us. They would have been able to without reservations, but I like to know that we'll be taken care of and not have to wait, so I opted for the reservation. Since we had a vehicle, we drove and parked in the parking structure, which can be validated for two hours. The food was good as there was lots to chose from. They had a beer sampler which included 6 or 8 beers, depending on how many you wanted to sample. We always enjoy those.

The Hilton had two vans pick us up in the morning since there were nine of traveling with luggage for two dozen. Took us to the port with no problem the morning of our cruise. When we left the ship, we phoned the hotel and their van picked us up within a few minutes. Everything really went smooth.

As we left the hotel, we went by Shoreline Village. The Splendor was sitting in port. It was sad to see that our cruise was over, but we still had smiles on our faces from new friends and memories that will last a life time. :)

We stayed at Comfort Inn on E. Willow/corner of Long Beach Blvd., which offered a park-and-cruise package - not quite as cheap as the deal you got. The motel was very nice, very clean, and responsive to queries & customer service. It's across from a shopping center so you can pick up any last-minute necessities. Comfort Inn provided vouchers for a taxi to the port. When we returned, we went back to Comfort Inn and asked the desk clerk for vouchers to pay that driver as well. Worked out well.

The only place we ate in Long Beach was the Omelette Inn for breakfast - it was wonderful, a local place with great food.

We have stayed at the Guesthouse Long Beach last two cruises. About $95/tax included. Shuttle is provided both ways. Decent continental breakfast.

Looks like they are renovating/changing, name change and all if this is the same place? We are starting to look now for next November.

http://hotelcurrent.com/default-reservations.htm#top

Okay...I guess it's time for me to explain Long Beach again to our visitors from out of the area...

Long Beach is not just some sleepy little harbor town...It is a BIG City with a population of over half a million...It only seems dwarfed in that it sits next to the way bigger Los Angeles and is enveloped as part of the greater Los Angeles Megalopolis...On its own, Long Beach is the sixth largest city in California and 36th largest in the US...

BUT, when you talk "Long Beach" you are talking about a city that covers an area of almost 70 square miles...

So, as with all large cities, it has many distinct and different neighborhoods...Some are upscale and attractive, others are sort of run-down and slummy...Some areas are largely industrial (Aside from the massive harbor, Long Beach has a major oil and gas industry, Aircraft industry and warehousing and distribution), other areas are largely residential...Long Beach has a major university--Cal State Long Beach--with almost 40,000 students...

So, when you google "Long Beach hotels", you get a wide variety of results...

However, those could be ANYWHERE in Long Beach...and you really don't want to stay "anywhere" in Long Beach...You could end up in a really unattractive area...or far from the pier ...and far from restaurants, tourist attractions and all of those things that make Long Beach an attractive destination...

Some hotels are where they are for different reasons...Some are around the airport to serve those flying in and out...Some are near the University to service guests visiting the university...A lot of hotels are there to serve people doing business with the various local industries...Some hotels cater to truckers and freeway traffic needing a place to stop for the night...Some cater to a transient population and unseemly sorts with questionable agendas...And some, of course, cater to the first class tourism, convention business and cruise passengers...

All of these hotels could be in different parts of town for different reasons...Some might be reasonable hotels--but NOT what you should want as a tourist and cruiser...

The Guesthouse is NOT a great location for the cruise traveler...It is clear over on the other side of town--near the University. Nothing wrong with the neighborhood, just not a tourist destination area...If you were visiting kids at the University or had some other business with the University, I'd say go there...BUT you are about 10 miles across city streets to the Carnival Pier, the Queen Mary, the Aquarium and most of the touristy places in Long Beach...

The Comfort Inn on Willow would not make my list of possible places to stay for ANY reason...just the wrong part of town...It is several miles north of where you'd want to be (and in Long Beach terms, "north" is not good)...It's just not a really attractive or convenient area...

Face it folks, you can find restaurants of some sort anywhere...and shopping centers, etc. But, friends, you are on vacation...you want to enjoy wherever you are at...You want to see the better side of your host city and come away somewhat impressed and pampered, right? You want to be somewhere where you can walk around safely at night? ...and where you would actually WANT to walk around, right?

So, here is the deal: STOP LOOKING FOR "bargains"...anywhere in the Los Angeles area...

If you find a really great price on a hotel, there's a good chance there's a very good reason...Laws of supply and demand, the better hotels in better locations tend to fill up and don't necessarily give you a bargain basement rate...HOWEVER, there can be deals out there...but look for that best deal on a GOOD hotel...in a GOOD location...

In Long Beach, that gives you a limited area...and you really don't want to be anywhere else...

Let me paint a picture...

The City of Long Beach has spent a good deal of money over the last couple of decades to really make a certain area into a tourist destination...They built a nice Convention Center and attract first class conventions, meetings and seminars on a regular basis...To attract tourism, they brought in the Queen Mary (a few decades ago now) and added a first class Aquarium...They brought in developers to develop first-class commercial/restaurant/entertainment complexes...They instituted a free local area shuttle system...and they brought in major hotel chains to build first class hotels to service the conventions and tourism...ALL of these tourist-related facilities are in a very centralized area...

STAY IN THAT AREA!

The Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance, Avia, Courtyard, Residence Inn, Maya, Hilton...There is your VERY SHORT LIST...Stay in one of these and enjoy your stay in Long Beach...You will be close to the Carnival Pier and to all of the Long Beach tourist attractions...You will have a wide choice of restaurants...You will have a free local shuttle...You can walk around the shopping and restaurant complexes, even at night...You may have views of the harbor and ocean...You will leave thinking "Hey, that Long Beach is a really nice town...loved it"...

Stay instead in some other area and you will think "Why am I staying in this pit with all this traffic noise and this view of the auto body repair shop and next to the loading docks for the supermarket...and, isn't that a Burger King down the block? Yummmmm...." and then..."Gee, how long is the danged taxi ride to the pier...and what do you mean we have to call and arrange a taxi?"

DO NOT DO THAT to yourself...

Why? To try to save a relatively few dollars?

Archived