Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Broward Center for the Performing Arts is downtown on the corner of SW 5th Ave and SE 2nd St. The Renaissance is on SE 17th St across from the port and convention center. It is about 3 miles from Broward Center. Take a cab or water taxi (Hilton/Convention Center stop to Esplanade Park stop). The Renaissance is nice and is fine for one or 2 nights. There isn't a lot around but there are lots of restaurants. The Riverside Hotel and Hampton Inn downtown are the closest hotels to the Broward Center. The Riverside is very nice and is about a mile walk to the Center. You do have to walk through a couple of blocks that are not well populated at night though.

CORRECTION: I meant to say that Broward Center is on the corner of SW 5th Ave and SW 2nd St.

Hello everyone, We will be in Ft. Lauderdale in late February and are looking for transportation from the Port to the Embassy Suites on 17th St. Can anyone recommend a car company or a SuperShuttle type transportation? Mom will be using a folding wheelchair; but the wheels come off so it can fit in a trunk. Any recommendations or suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thank you

Cherry

Just take a taxi if you are talking about Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale. It will be .5 to 2 miles, a very short ride, $10 for the whole carload, and there will be taxis waiting at the port. If you are coming from Port of Miami, a shuttle might be better.

I am looking for a hotel for the end of April close to the port or has shuttle service avaliable. We are leaving on the Allure (not sure where exactly the pier is). There are 9 of us...3 couples and 3 kids.

I was thinking that we need a suite type of hotel, like the Embassey Suites.

Can you tell me if that would be a good one to look into, and what the nearest one to the port would be.

Aslo, does it have a good pool for the kids to play in?

Thanks

:D

We will be staying at the Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek the day before we cruise. From what I understand, it is about a $40 taxi ride from Fll to there, and another $40 from there to the port. Are there any good places to eat within walking distance, or things to do within walking distance. We will be there on Jan. 27. Thank you: Matt

We will be staying at the Sheraton Suites Cypress Creek the day before we cruise. From what I understand, it is about a $40 taxi ride from Fll to there, and another $40 from there to the port. Are there any good places to eat within walking distance, or things to do within walking distance. We will be there on Jan. 27. Thank you: Matt

Cypress Creek Station has a few chain restaurants and a multiplex Regal movie theatre. It is about a block or two east of the hotel.

Thanks Royalcruise about the info re:Broward and Convention Center. My dh thought they were one in the same. I like the idea of taking the water taxi to Broward. What restauraunt would you suggest for New Years eve? I suppose we could find something either near Broward or on the way via water taxi from the Rennaissance. So you can jump on and off the water taxi with one fare?

Suggestions for transportation from Ft Lauderdale port to Ft Lauderdale airport? We dock midweek at 8:00am and fly out at 11:45am. Should we depend on a cab or book a shuttle? Dependable shuttle service suggestions?? Thx in advance. bbunch04

Suggestions for transportation from Ft Lauderdale port to Ft Lauderdale airport? We dock midweek at 8:00am and fly out at 11:45am. Should we depend on a cab or book a shuttle? Dependable shuttle service suggestions?? Thx in advance. bbunch04

It's a short ride and a taxi costs only about $15+tip (for the cab, not per person). Shuttles will charge per person and be more expensive unless you are solo - in which case you hsould share a cab with someone from your cruise. ;) Lots of cabs waiting for your business. Good luck! :)

RoyalCruz,

We are planning to stay at the Springhill in Dania for our cruise on Allure in April. My question, my brother needs a hotel for the Orange Bowel game. He will be staying Jan 2 to Jan 5. Flying into FLL , and will have a car. He doesn't want to pay more than $150 and want to be close to the excitement if possible. It will be him and his buddy from work going. Any suggestions? I thought maybe the Springhill we are staying in April , but not so sure how close that is to the stadium?

Thanks for any input. :D It is totally appreciated!

~Steph

Thanks Royalcruise about the info re:Broward and Convention Center. My dh thought they were one in the same. I like the idea of taking the water taxi to Broward. What restauraunt would you suggest for New Years eve? I suppose we could find something either near Broward or on the way via water taxi from the Rennaissance. So you can jump on and off the water taxi with one fare?

Yes, you can hop on hop off. There are a bunch of little restaurants along SW 2nd St, starting a block east of the Broward Center. Himmarshee Grill is popular there. For even more great choices, get off at the Las Olas stop, for everything from Cheesecake Factory to upscale Johnny V to Rocco's Tacos. Big City Tavern and Mangos are moderately priced and very popular. Just make sure you allow plenty of time for travel and slow holiday service and waiting for water taxis. Go to lasolasboulevard.com and click on dining. For NYE reservations are suggested.

Anyone have a preference? If they are the same price which one would you choose?

Neither is in an area with much around and both are close to the airport. Crowne Plaza is closer to the cruiseport. Crowne Plaza was just built last year. I'm not sure about Fairfield, but it looks new. If the price is the same, go with Fairfield if you want free breakfast, and go with CP if you want to be closer to the port (there are even views of the port from some rooms and I think from the pool deck). Both have complimentary airport shuttles.

RoyalCruz,

We are planning to stay at the Springhill in Dania for our cruise on Allure in April. My question, my brother needs a hotel for the Orange Bowel game. He will be staying Jan 2 to Jan 5. Flying into FLL , and will have a car. He doesn't want to pay more than $150 and want to be close to the excitement if possible. It will be him and his buddy from work going. Any suggestions? I thought maybe the Springhill we are staying in April , but not so sure how close that is to the stadium?

~Steph

There really isn't much near the Dolphins' stadium (which is where the Orange Bowl is played these days). Honestly, as a local, I'm not sure where any particular action/excitement will be for this game. That's not a knock on the teams/fans, it's just that people will come and stay all over south florida while in town for the game. Treat it like a destination/vacation, pick where you stay based on what you want to do/see.

RoyalCruz,

~Steph

Check this out

http://www.orangebowl.org/index.html

RoyalCruz,

~Steph

I think the Orange Bowl is being played at Sun Life Stadium. It is not a touristy area, so there aren't a lot of hotels in that area. The Dania area at I-95 is actually not a bad area to stay as long as he has a car. It's about 10-15 miles from the stadium.

Royalcruz,

Specific question for you that I am having a difficult time finding an answer to, hoping you can help out.

We fly in Sat. night 5:30ish, stay at Embassy Suites on 17th St., leave Sun am for cruise. I am looking specifically for a store in the vicintiy of Embassy that sells backpack beach chairs that I can pick up on Sat. night. Or can you give me a suggestion of a reliable store that would be willing to drop them off at Embassy if I preordered/prepaid online or over phone?

Thanks in advance. I apprecaite all the great advice and suggestions you give.

bbunch04

Royalcruz,

Specific question for you that I am having a difficult time finding an answer to, hoping you can help out.

We fly in Sat. night 5:30ish, stay at Embassy Suites on 17th St., leave Sun am for cruise. I am looking specifically for a store in the vicintiy of Embassy that sells backpack beach chairs that I can pick up on Sat. night. Or can you give me a suggestion of a reliable store that would be willing to drop them off at Embassy if I preordered/prepaid online or over phone?

Thanks in advance. I apprecaite all the great advice and suggestions you give.

bbunch04

Even in South FL, you won't find a big supply of backpack beach chairs in the winter. The only stores near ES that might sell them are CVS, Walgreens, or Publix. You could call and ask about their supply. All of my friends who have backpack chairs got them at Costco in the summer season (there is no Costco near ES.) If you are buying them for Fort Lauderdale beach, there is a CVS at Beachplace, but I guess you are buying them for a cruise.

Hi all!

We are staying at the Embassy Suites in March pre cruise and I am wondering if there is a Cheesecake factory close by? We will not have a car so it will be a taxi ride I suppose. I know there is one at Sawgrass Mills mall is that close by? If not, any suggestions on where to dine close to the ES on 17th? Thanks.:)

Hi all!

We are staying at the Embassy Suites in March pre cruise and I am wondering if there is a Cheesecake factory close by? We will not have a car so it will be a taxi ride I suppose. I know there is one at Sawgrass Mills mall is that close by? If not, any suggestions on where to dine close to the ES on 17th? Thanks.:)

There is a Cheesecake on Las Olas Blvd about 3 miles away. There is nothing like that by ES, but plenty of other restaurants. Sawgrass is probably 20 miles away.

I see there's lots of info on here but too much for me to wrap my arms around. We will be cruising on the Allure Easter Week. I've narrowed down our pre cruise to the Fairfield airport and the Hilton airport. Any thoughts?

There isn't much around there. Fairfield is newer. Hilton is bigger and has a restaurant. Some of the Hilton rooms allow smoking.