Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We are disembarking Princess on April 16. Our flight does not leave till 6:30 P.M. If we do not want to take the ship excursions, can we take a water taxi? Is it within walking distance from the pier? Where does the water taxi take you

What is the fare? Will we be able to get to the airport at some point? Any suggestions would be helpful. We don't want to sit at the airport all day.

We just used hotwire and got the Bahia Mar Ft L Beach--a Doubletree Hotel. We will be there one night precruise--March 25th. Gotten some info from trip advisor but wanted to ask advice. Is it anywhere near a grocery store?? Mainly thinking of wine and breakfast items.

Also, what about restaurants within walking distance?

Nothing in hotel write up about airport shuttle, so do not think there is any, but the price was very good so guess we can spring for a taxi!!!

Thanks so much for any advice. This is a great site.

Dottie

It is not within walking distance to a grocery store but you can walk to CVS in Beach Place or take suntrolley to Publix or Winn Dixie. There are lots of restaurants within walking distance. I recommend Coconuts but expect to wait to sit down for dinner. There are no hotel shuttles at the beach. Taxi from airport should be about $20.

We are disembarking Princess on April 16. Our flight does not leave till 6:30 P.M. If we do not want to take the ship excursions, can we take a water taxi? Is it within walking distance from the pier? Where does the water taxi take you

What is the fare? Will we be able to get to the airport at some point? Any suggestions would be helpful. We don't want to sit at the airport all day.

The closest water taxi stop to the port and airport is at Hilton Marina. You can walk there if you are at the terminals closest to 17th St/bridge; otherwise it will cost $10 by taxi. The water taxi goes down the intracoastal, near the beach, downtown, up New River, and to Galleria Mall. It costs $20/per adult for an all day pass. You could just take the 3 hr round trip and not get off and you will get a guided tour by the operators.

Anybody have experience with the airport shuttle for the Dania Sleep Inn. Was there much of a wait? Just in case we don't want to wait for the free shuttle, about how much is a taxi from the FLL airport to the Dania Sleep Inn?

Anybody have experience with the airport shuttle for the Dania Sleep Inn. Was there much of a wait? Just in case we don't want to wait for the free shuttle, about how much is a taxi from the FLL airport to the Dania Sleep Inn?

A taxi will be about $20.

We just used hotwire and got the Bahia Mar Ft L Beach--a Doubletree Hotel. We will be there one night precruise--March 25th. Gotten some info from trip advisor but wanted to ask advice. Is it anywhere near a grocery store?? Mainly thinking of wine and breakfast items.

Also, what about restaurants within walking distance?

Nothing in hotel write up about airport shuttle, so do not think there is any, but the price was very good so guess we can spring for a taxi!!!

Thanks so much for any advice. This is a great site.

Dottie

Dottie, we stayed there in February of this year for several nights. On the property, there is a deli/store called "All About Food". When you drive in the entrance it is on your left. We were able to pick up wine and beer for our room there when we arrived. I also grabbed a made to order croissant breakfast sandwich there one morning and it was good.

No shuttle but taxi's were easy to get.

We are staying there again next year for several nights pre-cruise.

Rae

May be a crazy ? But we are not fancy wine people-- do they sell wine (box) in gas stations?:D

Thanks.

I never go into gas station stores unless there is a problem at the pump, so I can't say for sure, but I know that convenience stores can sell bottled wine.

hi my dh. and i have booked a hotel for 2 days before and 2 days after our cruise . we booked the beachcomber resort and villas .i hope you can tell us if we did good or bad. thank-you brenda;);)

It gets good reviews but I've never been there to say if it is ok. There isn't anything closeby and it's not close to the port or airport so you should rent a car.

Okay, so I've read every single page, my brain is mush and I'm so confused now!!:o

Going on a girls cruise July 7th from FL, flying in on the 6th early am. So we need only 1 nt hotel, but we want the area to have alot to offer!:D

At first I thought I wanted to stay in the 17th street area for all the shops and restaurants, free shuttles and free breakfast. But you can only shop so long...

So then I started looking at the beach hotels thinking we could go poolside or oceanview on a lounger to eat up some hours and relax.:)

Then there is the Gallery one on the marina that sounds really nice, see it just gets worse!:eek:

I think I just need someone to just tell me what to book, I can't decide!

I'm thinking $ around 160./nt. we don't need the free breakfast/shuttle...but early access to a quick breakfast would be good.

We will have all day on Saturday and all evening to fill. Help!!!!

It gets good reviews but I've never been there to say if it is ok. There isn't anything closeby and it's not close to the port or airport so you should rent a car.

thanks for getting back to me so soon. would you know how far it is to the hotel from the airport, and how far it is ,to the port from the hotel. we picked this hotel because of the reviews , the price and it looked like it had a great beach to do a 25 years of marriage vow renewal on, i will change hotels if it is too far. when i booked the hotel i did ask if they had a shuttle to pick us up at the airport and also to take us to the pier, they said they did , but it's not free, i will get a hold of them and find out the price. thanks again ,and i hope everything works out for me. brenda and al ;);)

thanks for getting back to me so soon. would you know how far it is to the hotel from the airport, and how far it is ,to the port from the hotel. we picked this hotel because of the reviews , the price and it looked like it had a great beach to do a 25 years of marriage vow renewal on, i will change hotels if it is too far. when i booked the hotel i did ask if they had a shuttle to pick us up at the airport and also to take us to the pier, they said they did , but it's not free, i will get a hold of them and find out the price. thanks again ,and i hope everything works out for me. brenda and al ;);)

The hotel is at the southern end of Pompano Beach (not in Fort Lauderdale proper) - I live at the northern end so I looked up the mileage for you on Google Maps. Airport to hotel is estimated to be 25 minutes or so via both I-95 (18.5 miles) and A1A (13.6 miles with stoplights). Hotel to port is also estimated at around 25 minutes via I-95 (16.5 miles) or A1A (10 miles). I know cabs to the airport from my end of Pompano (about 2 miles or 4 minutes north) cost around $60 with tip so it would be less than that.

I a getting so confused and hope you can help me, Pre cruise hotel needed, we will arrive in the morning so looking for beach hotel, but at night a good area of shops and restaurants to pick from with easy access to taxi for cruise terminal? Possible?

Okay, so I've read every single page, my brain is mush and I'm so confused now!!:o

Going on a girls cruise July 7th from FL, flying in on the 6th early am. So we need only 1 nt hotel, but we want the area to have alot to offer!:D

At first I thought I wanted to stay in the 17th street area for all the shops and restaurants, free shuttles and free breakfast. But you can only shop so long...

So then I started looking at the beach hotels thinking we could go poolside or oceanview on a lounger to eat up some hours and relax.:)

Then there is the Gallery one on the marina that sounds really nice, see it just gets worse!:eek:

I think I just need someone to just tell me what to book, I can't decide!

I'm thinking $ around 160./nt. we don't need the free breakfast/shuttle...but early access to a quick breakfast would be good.

We will have all day on Saturday and all evening to fill. Help!!!!

Gallery One is on the intracoastal but not on a marina, if that helps. There isn't much shopping on 17th St unless you count groceries and office supplies...take that out and you;ve got Ross, Dollar Store and a few boutiques.

My suggestions would be Riverside Hotel for shopping water taxi and nightlife, or Gallery One for the same but a little less nightlife. In your pricerange on the beach you should be able to get into Bahia Mar, Courtyard, or maybe the Westin. I think all of these hotels serve breakfast (not free) and are close to Starbucks or other coffee shop options.

I think you would be looking at cab rides of about $45 each way, 10-15 mile rides.

Edited by royalcruz

I a getting so confused and hope you can help me, Pre cruise hotel needed, we will arrive in the morning so looking for beach hotel, but at night a good area of shops and restaurants to pick from with easy access to taxi for cruise terminal? Possible?

Ritz Carlton and Marriott Beach Place are most central. The next closest I would recommend are Courtyard, Westin, and Alhambra. There are lots of taxis in the beach area at all hours.

Just bid on 3.5 stars hotel downtown FLL on priceline for $78 and got Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina (4 stars). I read some negative reviews regarding bad service, out dated rooms. Although I saw pictures online and the rooms looked great (I think they have different towers, so maybe so were updated and some were not?). Please tell me I got a decent deal...we are only staying one night pre-cruise. This is close to the port right?

thanks

Just bid on 3.5 stars hotel downtown FLL on priceline for $78 and got Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina (4 stars). I read some negative reviews regarding bad service, out dated rooms. Although I saw pictures online and the rooms looked great (I think they have different towers, so maybe so were updated and some were not?). Please tell me I got a decent deal...we are only staying one night pre-cruise. This is close to the port right?

thanks

Wow.. I would say that you got a DEAL!

thanks

It's 2 blocks from the port entrance...great deal!

hi guys , thanks for all the input about the hotel, my dh and i will stay with the beachcomber , as i checked out the cost for the shuttle , from the airport to the hotel , is about 35.00 dollars and the same for going to the port from the hotel. i do not know how much it cost to rent a car, but i do know my dh. would not like trying to figure out how to get around ,and i hate , to be the one to read the map. i hope if i give the shuttle guy a good tip that , he will make sure to get us to the ship on time. now what would you say would be a good tip for a $35.00 trip , so i know how much to give extra. i thank-you again and can hardly wait to meet you all , and have a great time in the sun. brenda and al ;);)

This is one long thread!

We're leaving out of FLL at the end of April. We have a two year old so I'd like to fly in early the day before and have a day to relax before we cruise. Hoping you can suggest a nice hotel with an awesome pool area and any other appropriate activities to get us into a cruising mind set! I'm willing to pay a little extra for comfortable beds, safety, and a fun day with my family. Bonus points if there's fishing nearby for my die hard partner.