Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

duffyswann, you might look at renting a car for 24 hours instead. It'd probably be a lot cheaper than $60/pp (plus whatever you are spending for transportation from Miami to FLL). Plus, you can spend as much time at Sawgrass as you want after your airboat ride. The zoo there, while small, has a great staff who are very knowledgeable about the animals, and you can easily spend a couple of hours listening to them and looking at the animals.

Also, Sawgrass Recreation Park has a $2 off coupon on their website, but if you check the brochure racks at hotels or restaurants you might be able to find a "Great Locations" travel guide that includes a coupon book with a $4 off per person offer. The "Great Locations" guide also has a bunch of other restaurant and attraction coupons for the FLL area (we had a great dinner at Il Mulino and used a coupon from there for a free appetizer).

EDIT: It looks like Great Locations has their coupons online. You can get the $4 off per person coupon at http://www.greatlocations.com/coupontest.cfm?partnerid=1&contactid=66&pmenuitemid=328&couponid=90

Thanks! I had thought I had looked at Car rentals previously and they were much more expensive, like in the $75 to $100 range. I was able to snag a Budget Car Rental at their Miami Downtown location for $37, picking it up on the 7th after we off our Cruise and returning it the next morning at their FLL Airport location before we our departure at ~11AM. SAS was originally going to provide transportation for $30 back to FLL from Miami so the car rental was only $7 more and now we have a car for the entire Sunday that we are in Miami/FLL. Looks like we will be heading to Buffalo Tiger's in the Everglades now instead :)

Thinking about a Western Cruise out of Port Canaveral. If we fly into Orlando do they normally have shuttles that go to Port Canaveral? And if we stay in Orlando a few days prior what is the best way to get to the Port?

Thanks for the help,

Steph

sorry wrong forum

Edited by wv4dmb
wrong forum

I remember reading somewhere I believe on this board that there was a way on the Hilton website that you could go into to get some better deals. I believe that you had to be a member of their rewards club. Does anyone out there know where on this board that info is located. Did a search but couldn't find it. Thanks

I remember reading somewhere I believe on this board that there was a way on the Hilton website that you could go into to get some better deals. I believe that you had to be a member of their rewards club. Does anyone out there know where on this board that info is located. Did a search but couldn't find it. Thanks

Join Hhonors (free) and book through hiltonfamilymvp.

We are arriving late afternoon. Is there a mall nearby..need dinner and wine

Publix is behind ES in the Harbor Shops. Some popular restaurants on the block are Duffy's, Coco Asian, Kelly's Landing, Quarterdeck, Outback, and Chuck's Steakhouse. There are lots of good fast food places in the area too, like 5Guys, Tiquana Flats, Firehouse Subs, and down the street are Shula Burger, Chipotle, and Pei Wei.

4/25 Panama cruise for 2, will stay in FFL for 2 nights prior, please help on:

1, Safe hotel for 2 night with free shutter or taxis: airport/cruise port.

2. Restaurant serve STONE CRABS that close by.

thanks in advance.

These restaurants have stone crabs. There are many others, I'm sure:

Billy's Stone Crabs (Hollywood beach)

Truluck (Ft Lauderdale)

Bimini Boatyard (Ft Lauderdale)

Rustic (Inn)

Please note that stone crabs are only in season from October through May and that there has been a shortage this season. When there is a shortage, if you are lucky enough to get them they will be expensive.

If you mapquest these restaurants, you can then do a hotel search from there. Fewer and fewer hotels are offering free shuttles. Most of them are near the airport and the closest restaurant to there is Rustic Inn.

Can someone tell me how far the West Palm Beach airport is from the Ft. Lauderdale port? Also if how much the taxi would be from the cruise port to the airport? thank you,

It's like 50 miles. I'm guessing that a taxi would not be cheap.

If you ahve the time, you could take the tri-rail to the Ft Lauderdale station and catch a cab there. The tri-rail fare would be like $6 each.

It's like 50 miles. I'm guessing that a taxi would not be cheap.

If you ahve the time, you could take the tri-rail to the Ft Lauderdale station and catch a cab there. The tri-rail fare would be like $6 each.

Thank you for the information...

oh that sounds kinda interesting...have to see what flights they was showing us for west palm beach airport again. ...it is our return flight home...so no hurry. How far from the ship would you pick this tri-rail up? Thanks again! :)

Hello there, we have only a very brief time in FL before joining Indy for a TA Cruise this April. Could you please let me know if there are shops open on Sunday morning, we are staying at the Comfort Inn and arriving at approx 1830 Saturday evening and hope to board around 1400hrs. Its my first time in U.S. and I would love to have a little browse.

Thank you for the information...

oh that sounds kinda interesting...have to see what flights they was showing us for west palm beach airport again. ...it is our return flight home...so no hurry. How far from the ship would you pick this tri-rail up? Thanks again! :)

www.tri-rail.com is the website. It shows all the schedules, maps, etc. You would leave from the Ft Lauderdale station, not hte airport one.

There are free shuttles, but it doens't look like any go all the way to the port. Looking at a map. I'm guessing from the port to the tri-rail stop couldn't be longer than a ride to the airport.

www.tri-rail.com is the website. It shows all the schedules, maps, etc. You would leave from the Ft Lauderdale station, not hte airport one.

There are free shuttles, but it doens't look like any go all the way to the port. Looking at a map. I'm guessing from the port to the tri-rail stop couldn't be longer than a ride to the airport.

Thanks...I think it would be neat to ride the train...but guess I will still try to get a flight out of ft. Lauderdale.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this question but next January I will be aboard the Queen Elizabeth when she docks at Fort Lauderdale. I am severely disabled and not the most mobile of folks. Fortunately for me my cousin who lives in Florida has suggested she comes down to the ship and meet us.

My question is:

Does the docking area at Fort Lauderdale have gates, is there security and if so will my cousin be allowed to drive in without any type of ticket or pass?

We areplanning ways in which I can get into their vehicle and she can take us out for the day :)

Best wishes

John

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this question but next January I will be aboard the Queen Elizabeth when she docks at Fort Lauderdale. I am severely disabled and not the most mobile of folks. Fortunately for me my cousin who lives in Florida has suggested she comes down to the ship and meet us.

My question is:

Does the docking area at Fort Lauderdale have gates, is there security and if so will my cousin be allowed to drive in without any type of ticket or pass?

We areplanning ways in which I can get into their vehicle and she can take us out for the day :)

Best wishes

John

I'm not sure what was missing from my answer on the rollcall, but with years of experience driving to Port Everglades, this is what happens: they will have to stop at the gates to Port Everglades, where the security folks will ask them to open the car's trunk/boot, and show identification (Driver's Licence). They will be issued a colored tag to be displayed in the windshield. They will then be allowed to drive to the pier/quay and meet you at the terminal.

I usually check the ships' schedule a few days beforehand to find out the relevant pier, here: http://www.porteverglades.net/about-us/

My question is:

Best wishes

John

John - looking at the Port Everglades website all I see is:

Cruise Passengers

• All cruise passengers departing from Port Everglades will enter the Port through a security checkpoint after presenting picture identifications for each person in the vehicle over age 18 as well as travel documents.

I would contact them specifically and ask what your cousin needs (in addition to valid ID) to pick you up. I'm sure that this isn't an infrequent occurrence. The contact info is:

Port Everglades

1850 Eller Drive

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

www.porteverglades.net

Contact e-mail addresses:

General: PortEverglades@broward.org

They should also be able to tell them where to pick you up.

Enjoy Fort Lauderdale and the visit with your cousin!

Detailed information for visitors is here:

http://www.porteverglades.net/about-us/security/visitor-access/

I always take with me the name of the ship, the name of the friends I'm picking up or dropping off, with their cabin number, as well as the port map from: http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/media/docs/Port-Map-2009.pdf

The map indicates the numbers of the various berths--they'll know the one to go to when they check the schedule. Incidentally, the schedule won't be updated until about a week before the ship's arrival at the port.

And I make sure the car is emptied of anything not pertinent to the day's trip--it makes the inspection go faster.

Edited by NomDePlume