Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Yes, a cab will be most convenient and cost-effective at about $15 for the whole carload.

Thanks for your response. We just got back from our trip and I can confirm that our cab ride was just over $16 (we were at one of the furthest piers, I think).

I don't think I will do a red-eye arriving the day of a cruise again, though, without a better morning plan. Hanging out in FLL for 4-1/2 hours after little sleep on a red-eye from the west coast was not fun. I should have found a hotel where we could have crashed for a few hours. Oh well, I'll plan better next time.

Thanks, yes we will do the water taxis the day we disembark from the Island Princess. which is the 5th April . Rob & I are going then on Oasis of the Seas for 7 days, and disembark on the 13th April Saturday. Our flight to Las Vegas is not until 2.50 p.m. so what suggestions do you have for this day??????????????

I thought may be we could get a shuttle to the airport and book in our luggage for American Airlines, and then get back to town or the beach or something. Not sure if American Airlines, would be able to book our luggage in that early though.!!!!!:):) Look forward to hearing your suggestions. Cheers from Australia Rob & Judy

I have been told that at the FLL airport you can NOT check luggage until 2 hours before your flight.

I'm thinking about taking a return flight out of West Palm Beach. It would get us home a couple of hours sooner than leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale. What are our options and the cost involved for getting from Port Everglades to the West Palm Beach airport? There are two adults and one child.

Edited by 19Ladybird67

I'm thinking about taking a return flight out of West Palm Beach. It would get us home a couple of hours sooner than leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale. What are our options and the cost involved for getting from Port Everglades to the West Palm Beach airport? There are two adults and one child.

WPB is almost an hour north of the port. You can rent a car or take a taxi ($120 plus tip). You can take a taxi to FLL, then take a shuttle to WPB, but I don't know the costs.

HI,

I'm trying to put together or at least get some info for a friend who will be coming on the Allure with us in May..........

I know this has been asked a gazillion times and I've done a search but everything is so overwhelming and I'm trying to help him out with this.

So I need to ask again......Our friend will be flying in either day of:rolleyes: or day before to Ft Lauderdale and he will need a hotel right by the airport. And possibly one with a shuttle to the cruise port~~~~~ port everglades.

Could you kindly help me out with suggestions

Thank You:)

Edited by knots4crewzing

HI,

I'm trying to put together or at least get some info for a friend who will be coming on the Allure with us in May..........

I know this has been asked a gazillion times and I've done a search but everything is so overwhelming and I'm trying to help him out with this.

So I need to ask again......Our friend will be flying in either day of:rolleyes: or day before to Ft Lauderdale and he will need a hotel right by the airport. And possibly one with a shuttle to the cruise port~~~~~ port everglades.

I usually find best prices in parksleepfly.com or stay123.com just booked off stay123 pre cruise night at Cambria Suites they included breakfast shuttle round trip to port and airport pick up as well. We may have some to drive and they also have free parking I clouded.

HI,

I'd love to help. My DH and I just returned from our first cruise out of Port Everglades. I had no idea what to expect and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The city of Fort Lauderdale seems to have a good handle on the crazyness of incoming and outgoing cruise passengers on Friday and Saturday and Sunday.

We flew in on Saturday for a Sunday embarkation and stayed at the Embassy Suites/17th Street (with views of the port and all the ships). When we picked up our bags from baggage claim, I called the hotel and the contact said the shuttle was right outside.

Once outside the doors, we turned right and walked over to where the hotel shuttles sat waiting for passengers. Many people clogged the sidewalk but eventually we found the right shuttle and the driver loaded our suitcases on board in the back. We boarded the shuttle and sat for about 30 minutes waiting for another group of people.

Now you could take a taxi. It's about the same price. The shuttle cost $7 pp. A taxi would have been a bit more as we found out on our return yesterday. But a taxi is boring. The shuttle is fun. You get to meet new people and hear about where they're from and how cold the weather is at home.

The shuttle driver is a bit of a crazy driver, but we arrived safely at the hotel. We were very pleased with the room, the dinner we had in the restaurant downstairs, the location, the free breakfast buffet the next day and check out.

We signed up for a shuttle to the port. It looked chaotic in the morning but the process moves a lot quicker than you think. Soon the front entry of the building clears up of people and you're on your shuttle to the port. We checked out at 12:30 and were on the ship by 1:30.

After disembarkation on our return, we found that cabs were very easy to find as there is a large multi-laned queue of them outside after you go through customs. We caught a cab to the airport, checked our bags with a porter, climbed into another cab and headed to Coconuts on Seabreeze for brunch since we had a much later flight. Cab fares added up thought at $25/trip. After brunch we wandered around then went to the Marriott and caught a shuttle to the airport for $25 for both of us.

There are many hotels in the area. We are Hilton Honors members so we use Hilton brand hotels. Most of the hotels have shuttles or easy access to cabs. There are TONS of cabs. Tons of traffic too.

Have fun. Allure was in port with us (Celebrity Silhouette). It's HUGE.:eek:

I'd love to help. My DH and I just returned from our first cruise out of Port Everglades. I had no idea what to expect and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The city of Fort Lauderdale seems to have a good handle on the crazyness of incoming and outgoing cruise passengers on Friday and Saturday and Sunday.

We flew in on Saturday for a Sunday embarkation and stayed at the Embassy Suites/17th Street (with views of the port and all the ships). When we picked up our bags from baggage claim, I called the hotel and the contact said the shuttle was right outside.

Once outside the doors, we turned right and walked over to where the hotel shuttles sat waiting for passengers. Many people clogged the sidewalk but eventually we found the right shuttle and the driver loaded our suitcases on board in the back. We boarded the shuttle and sat for about 30 minutes waiting for another group of people.

Now you could take a taxi. It's about the same price. The shuttle cost $7 pp. A taxi would have been a bit more as we found out on our return yesterday. But a taxi is boring. The shuttle is fun. You get to meet new people and hear about where they're from and how cold the weather is at home.

The shuttle driver is a bit of a crazy driver, but we arrived safely at the hotel. We were very pleased with the room, the dinner we had in the restaurant downstairs, the location, the free breakfast buffet the next day and check out.

We signed up for a shuttle to the port. It looked chaotic in the morning but the process moves a lot quicker than you think. Soon the front entry of the building clears up of people and you're on your shuttle to the port. We checked out at 12:30 and were on the ship by 1:30.

After disembarkation on our return, we found that cabs were very easy to find as there is a large multi-laned queue of them outside after you go through customs. We caught a cab to the airport, checked our bags with a porter, climbed into another cab and headed to Coconuts on Seabreeze for brunch since we had a much later flight. Cab fares added up thought at $25/trip. After brunch we wandered around then went to the Marriott and caught a shuttle to the airport for $25 for both of us.

There are many hotels in the area. We are Hilton Honors members so we use Hilton brand hotels. Most of the hotels have shuttles or easy access to cabs. There are TONS of cabs. Tons of traffic too.

Thank You so much for all your advice. We did stay at the Embassy suites the last time we sailed on the Oasis. We drive form CT:eek: so we didn't inquire about shuttles. I didn't realize there were shuttles directly at the airport for the hotel. Great news!!

Thanks again for your help

P.S. I hope you had an amazing 1st cruise!!

Edited by knots4crewzing

HI,

These hotels are just north of the airport and I believe they all have free airport and cruiseport shuttles (these are the north FLL locations of each chain, on or by S.R. 84):

Hampton Inn

Best Western Plus

Holiday Inn Express

These hotels are just north of the airport and I believe they all have free airport and cruiseport shuttles (these are the north FLL locations of each chain, on or by S.R. 84):

Hampton Inn

Best Western Plus

Holiday Inn Express

Thank you Sharon:)

I am jotting down these hotels and will run it by our friend.

You have been such a great help to the CC community. My family and I have booked Alhambra on your advice and are so excited. It looks like a very nice property and near the beach!!!! Can't wait to take the water taxi:D

Liz:)

I don't believe Embassy Suites has a free shuttle from the airport to their hotel. From the hotel to the port, a private cab is as cheap and a lot quicker.

I believe there is a package you can buy that has hotel and shuttles included however.

Hi:) hope you had a wonderful time on Silhouette. I am sailing her

in April:D....I got a room on Hotwire at The Renassiance on 17th

Street this trip;). I have sailed from FLL so many times over the

years I can't count them anymore LOL.......

HI,

I usually find best prices in parksleepfly.com or stay123.com just booked off stay123 pre cruise night at Cambria Suites they included breakfast, shuttle round trip to port and airport pick up as well. We may have some to drive and they also have free parking included which is a big savings as compared to prices at the port.

We usually stay at Embassy Suites on 17th but their rates have gotten so much higher and the shuttle is extra. They also don't seem as organized as the one's in conjuction with the sites I named above.

We got Cambria for 129.00 and includes all the things I mentioned above. I have also read really good reviews about them on tripadv.

I usually find best prices in parksleepfly.com or stay123.com just booked off stay123 pre cruise night at Cambria Suites they included breakfast, shuttle round trip to port and airport pick up as well. We may have some to drive and they also have free parking included which is a big savings as compared to prices at the port.

We usually stay at Embassy Suites on 17th but their rates have gotten so much higher and the shuttle is extra. They also don't seem as organized as the one's in conjuction with the sites I named above.

We got Cambria for 129.00 and includes all the things I mentioned above. I have also read really good reviews about them on tripadv.

Thank You very much for the links. I have jotted those down for further research.

You have been very helpful:)

Thanks again

Liz

Thank you Sharon:)

I am jotting down these hotels and will run it by our friend.

You have been such a great help to the CC community. My family and I have booked Alhambra on your advice and are so excited. It looks like a very nice property and near the beach!!!! Can't wait to take the water taxi:D

Liz, I hope that you have a great visit to Ft Lauderdale. Alhambra looks so nice, and the piano bar at Casablanca next door is fun. The closest water taxi stop is on Seville St but not all of the taxis stop there and you can wait a long time. So use the next stop south, on the intracoastal end of Cortez St.

Help!! I'm going on liberty of seas in March. Our flight does not leave until 6 pm. Who can hold bags?? What can we do in Ft Laud.? How does that water taxi work and the price?? How does the trolley or buses work and prices? What can we do to maximize our time? No beach things cause we gonna have enough on cruise? Love to eat and shop!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We will be docking in Miami @ 7 AM

on Saturday Dec 7 2013.

How far is FLL airport?

What would be the best way to get to airport?

What flight time should we book?

Thanks for any help?

FLL is about 25 miles north of Port of Miami. If traffic is good, you can get there in about 35 minutes from entering cab at port to exiting cab at your terminal. This is probably your most expensive option if there is only 2 of you but definitely the quickest. It's about a $70 ride w/ tip. I know there are shuttle services that can be had between $15 and $20 a person.

You don't wanna really book anything before noon, although depending on the price maybe it maybe worth the risk.

Liz, I hope that you have a great visit to Ft Lauderdale. Alhambra looks so nice, and the piano bar at Casablanca next door is fun. The closest water taxi stop is on Seville St but not all of the taxis stop there and you can wait a long time. So use the next stop south, on the intracoastal end of Cortez St.

Hi Sharon,

Thanks again for your great advice. You have been so helpful:) I'll have to remember Cortez Street. How long of a walk would you say?