Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Where is your thread on Ocean Sky? Staying there in April and want to see what Im in for...;)

I don't know...there were a couple of active threads about the Ocean Sky at the time of posting. Use the search function in the upper right of this board, type ocean sky, and search for threads and you'll find several. We were chatting about the location (distance, where to eat, things to do, etc) but not specifically about the hotel itself. Trip Advisor will give you a better idea of that. :)

Edited by royalcruz

Help. Not sure if I should scrap this and start over. I accidentally booked the Hampton Inn Cypress Creek (priceline). We get in really late the night before a cruise and I am thinking I should cut my losses and book something else. Thinking the taxi prices will be pretty high. Airport to hotel and then to cruise terminal. Since we get in late I don't really care if it is near shopping, etc. Should I scrap this hotel and book something else?:mad:

You can sometimes call Priceline and get a "one time" reprieve for a hotel, but it depends on the rep you get . . . if you feel like going through that. Just explain your situation and that you selected the wrong area because you were unfamiliar with the area. I know several people that have done this and were successful without a hassle.

This is a very solid hotel though, just better suited for those who have a car pre-stay, but I do think in your situation it's not an ideal selection . . . but one I'd probably stick with if I can't get Priceline to help. Cab ride is definitely going to be around $35 to $40 each way but atleast you have a solid hotel already booked with free breakfast and free wifi. Plus there is no guarantee that you get a hotel with free shuttles so you may have to spend cab fare anyways, just not as much.

Edited by kdawg954

Thanks Royal Cruz! I am amazed at your wealth of knowledge! And all the time you put into this! Thanks so much, we appreciate it ;)

I don't know...there were a couple of active threads about the Ocean Sky at the time of posting. Use the search function in the upper right of this board, type ocean sky, and search for threads and you'll find several. We were chatting about the location (distance, where to eat, things to do, etc) but not specifically about the hotel itself. Trip Advisor will give you a better idea of that. :)

Our Roll Call is looking for a place for a pre-cruise dinner. We were going to go to the 15th St. Fishery but they limit there groups to 20 at the outdoor venue and we will be having more that that we believe. We need a place that has a varied menu and is moderately priced - the Fishery's inside menu was too expensive for the group.

Since quite a few of us are staying at the Hyatt at Pier 66 we are considering the Pelican Landing Restaurant at the hotel. Any other suggestions? We are hoping to avoid a national chain type restaurant.

Hellol Bequia,

Have 1 person with 2 checked bags Flying into Mia needs to get to Fll airport, would a cab, town car or shuttle be beter, this is for friday would need service around 5pm.

Doing dinner at 8:30pm Kelly's Landing friday night, safe to walk there from Hyatt Place or cab it?

Thank you very much and very much appreciate your posts.

Embassy suites highly recommend, close to pier and walking distance to shops, grocery, restaurants, dollar tree, Ross, etc. We felt safe walking around here.

Seadeck2

Just wanted to check on DOUGH BOYS..829 SE 17th Street

We are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66.

There would be over 20 in the group and they said they could handle us but wondering can you get to and from Dough Boys using the Water Taxi?

Any feedback? They have such a large menu..

Thanks

Edited by Arizona Laura

Hello - I have booked Gallery One hotel for our pre-cruise night and just want to be prepared. Can anyone give me an estimate of taxi fare to the port?

Nice hotel and it is directly on the "Water Taxi" route too:)

From the hotel to the pier? Probably 15.00 or so....prepare for 20.00

but may not be that much....traffic, lights, etc.....

Thanks Royal Cruz! I am amazed at your wealth of knowledge! And all the time you put into this! Thanks so much, we appreciate it ;)

Aw thank you kindly. :) I just love my city. Tonight we were downtown and there was a cool Blues Festival. The weather was so perfect!

I am looking at two pre cruise hotels. I have the Double Tree Gallery One for $263 a night and the Harbor Beach Marriott for $164.00 a night for three nights. We will not have a car. I know that the Double Tree is on the water taxi and by the mall. How far is the Marriott from the water taxi and restaurants? Which hotel would be the best choice?

Edited by goldgirl2

Our Roll Call is looking for a place for a pre-cruise dinner. We were going to go to the 15th St. Fishery but they limit there groups to 20 at the outdoor venue and we will be having more that that we believe. We need a place that has a varied menu and is moderately priced - the Fishery's inside menu was too expensive for the group.

Since quite a few of us are staying at the Hyatt at Pier 66 we are considering the Pelican Landing Restaurant at the hotel. Any other suggestions? We are hoping to avoid a national chain type restaurant.

Maybe Bravo Italiano or Kelly's can accommodate you, with notice. Pelican's Landing is small. I can't think of any other non-chain restaurants in that area that can accomodate a very large party that aren't expensive.

Hellol Bequia,

Have 1 person with 2 checked bags Flying into Mia needs to get to Fll airport, would a cab, town car or shuttle be beter, this is for friday would need service around 5pm.

Doing dinner at 8:30pm Kelly's Landing friday night, safe to walk there from Hyatt Place or cab it?

Thank you very much and very much appreciate your posts.

Embassy suites highly recommend, close to pier and walking distance to shops, grocery, restaurants, dollar tree, Ross, etc. We felt safe walking around here.

Seadeck2

Beguia hasn't been here in a very long time.

Yes, it's safe to walk to Kelly's from Hyatt Place.

An airport shuttle might be your best bet for one person.

Just wanted to check on DOUGH BOYS..829 SE 17th Street

We are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66.

There would be over 20 in the group and they said they could handle us but wondering can you get to and from Dough Boys using the Water Taxi?

Any feedback? They have such a large menu..

Thanks

It doesn't make any sense to use the Water Taxi to get to Dough Boys. It is 1.3 miles from Pier 66 and 1 mile from the water. It's just a neighborhood pizzaria/sub shop with no ambiance. If you decide to go there, ask if they could get you all on one table.

I am looking at two pre cruise hotels. I have the Double Tree Gallery One for $263 a night and the Harbor Beach Marriott for $164.00 a night for three nights. We will not have a car. I know that the Double Tree is on the water taxi and by the mall. How far is the Marriott from the water taxi and restaurants? Which hotel would be the best choice?

I much prefer the Harbor Beach Marriott. It is about 3 blocks away from the water taxi. There is a great restaurant there (3030) and it is very close to Bahia Mar and to the Mexican restaurant in the Sheraton. Everything else is about a mile walk.

On the other hand, Gallery One is a very easy walk to about 10 restaurants between the beach and the mall, and if it isn't a beach day you'll have the mall.

It doesn't make any sense to use the Water Taxi to get to Dough Boys. It is 1.3 miles from Pier 66 and 1 mile from the water. It's just a neighborhood pizzaria/sub shop with no ambiance. If you decide to go there, ask if they could get you all on one table.

Thanks..Think I will leave it out of consideration. So glad we have you to run things by!!

Laura

Any information on La Quinta Inn & Suites-Airport? Almost all of the reviews were good and it seemed to have everything we needed for our one night pre-cruise stay on March 8th.

I stayed at the LaQuinta for my one night precruise in November. It was nice & clean and had a good free breakfast. Free shuttle from the airport. I have private transport to Port of Miami so I'm not sure anymore about the free shuttle to Port Everglades. I heard they charge for it now. It was close to shopping & restaurants. Can't remember the name of the place we ate but it was within walking distance and had a great menu and fairly priced.

I'm not sure how much you are paying for your night but check it out on last minute travel dot com. I saved $20 off the website price.

HELP PLEASE - Forgive me for being lazy I did start to look around this thread but its taken ages and I am only up to page 46 of 176.

I am staying on South Beach (Dorchester Hotel FL33139) prior to cruise out of Port Everglades with MSC on Saturday April 20th. Could anybody give me advise on how to get from South Beach to Pt Everglades I have looked at cabs and price is around $90, shuttles are not a lot cheaper as I am a solo traveller. Have tried to find public transport but there are at least 2 changes of bus to get to cruise port. I have found the South Beach Flyer for the journey from Miami Airport to Hotel or I could book a shuttle at $25. Any advice is welcomed - THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

We are a group of 10 staying at Marriott Dania Beach, we wanted a park and cruise rate. Wondering if there is a shuttle service to get us to the port or should we use the hotel transportation? Its not free, $8 per person, Just wonder if its totally crazy if it would be better to just arrange group transportation and if you have any suggestions on who to use?

thanks

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road a couple of times and it worked out great! Shuttle and breakfast both...

Just an FYI to everyone, we stayed at Hampton on Stirling on Oct. 27, 2012 and they did charge for a hotel to the port in the morning. You had to sign up upon arrival and they only time left when we arrived was 12:30. So we arranged for a cab to pick up us up to take us to the port.

They did give us a ride from the airport though. The hotel was mediocre; there was remodeling going on and we had to enter the hotel from the side and the makeshift lobby was in a what looked like to be a former room.

The were local places nearby to buy wine; Kmart, Big Lots had a few varieties. We ate at Ale House and we loved it.

Happy cruising everyone!

I stayed at the LaQuinta for my one night precruise in November. It was nice & clean and had a good free breakfast. Free shuttle from the airport. I have private transport to Port of Miami so I'm not sure anymore about the free shuttle to Port Everglades. I heard they charge for it now. It was close to shopping & restaurants. Can't remember the name of the place we ate but it was within walking distance and had a great menu and fairly priced.

I'm not sure how much you are paying for your night but check it out on last minute travel dot com. I saved $20 off the website price.

Thanks for this information. Sounds like we made a good choice considering we are late in booking.