Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

You're welcome. I'm sure you are going to have a great time. Just bring good walking shoes. It's not a long strenuous walk to get around the beach area but you don't want to get held back by blisters.:) We sometimes stay at the W hotel next door to the Hilton and we walk everywhere from there. We only live a few miles away but it's fun to stay at the beach when we want a quick getaway.

Hi Sharon. Were new to this but are staying in Pier 66 23-24 Feb before going on Celebrity and wonder how far the hotel is from the beach and is the hotel in a safe location. Anty good shopping malls near buy.

Fat but sliming IRISHMAN

Hi Sharon. Were new to this but are staying in Pier 66 23-24 Feb before going on Celebrity and wonder how far the hotel is from the beach and is the hotel in a safe location. Anty good shopping malls near buy.

Fat but sliming IRISHMAN

Hi Jack:) I am not Sharon but will offer a suggestion anyway.

You can pick up the Water Taxi from your hotel and it is a very nice

way to see the Intercoastal and you can get on and off at different

stops:) I am not sure how much an "all day ticket" is anymore but

I love the water taxi and have done it many times over the years.

Yes, the hotel is in a safe location. One of the water taxi stops

is "Las Olas Blvd".....all kinds of shops and restaurants along the

Blvd:D...not a mall, but outside along the Blvd. It is one of my

favorite places to go when I am in Ft. Lauderdale.:)

Hi Jack:) I am not Sharon but will offer a suggestion anyway.

You can pick up the Water Taxi from your hotel and it is a very nice

way to see the Intercoastal and you can get on and off at different

stops:) I am not sure how much an "all day ticket" is anymore but

I love the water taxi and have done it many times over the years.

Yes, the hotel is in a safe location. One of the water taxi stops

is "Las Olas Blvd".....all kinds of shops and restaurants along the

Blvd:D...not a mall, but outside along the Blvd. It is one of my

favorite places to go when I am in Ft. Lauderdale.:)

Hi Lois. Sorry but I always seem to make mistakes. Thanks for the info ref the water bus . We will use it to have a look around. Its good to know that its located in a safe place. Do you know how far it is to the cruise ship.

Thanks [Fat but sliming IRISHMAN]

Hi Lois. Sorry but I always seem to make mistakes. Thanks for the info ref the water bus . We will use it to have a look around. Its good to know that its located in a safe place. Do you know how far it is to the cruise ship.

Thanks [Fat but sliming IRISHMAN]

Hi Jack, you did not make a mistake:) I was just letting you I am not

Sharon;).....

Your hotel to Port Everglades? Taxi ride is very close....

door to door to your ship? 7 minutes maybe:D

Edited by Lois R

Another question...I am sorry but you guys are so helpful.

Like I said before, I have booked the Comfort Suites on Stirling Street but thinking of maybe changing hotels.

We really need to pick up some last minute stuff for the cruise (shorts, etc) and would love to check out Sawgrass Mills. I know the Comfort Suites and the mall are quite a distance away from each other.

What kind of area is the mall in? Is it close to the beach?

What hotel in that area would you recommend?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP :)

HELP. We are staying at Pier 66 in FFL and wonder how far is it to Sawgrass mall Or is there a closer mall to our hotel. looking to buy some good priced suitcases and some items we may have forgot.

jackdec [Fat but sliming Irishman]

HELP. We are staying at Pier 66 in FFL and wonder how far is it to Sawgrass mall Or is there a closer mall to our hotel. looking to buy some good priced suitcases and some items we may have forgot.

Jack, Sawgrass Mills is at least 30 minutes west of the hotel.

As for a mall closer to you? I bet Sharon will give you better information about that part:)

Edited by Lois R

Key West is a fun town to walk around but it is very far. You will be spending 8-9 hrs on the road. As far as the other Keys, it's a place to go for boating or fishing or gazing at water, but not much else, so personally I find it boring. The restaurants are very casual...My favorite restaurant is The Island in lower Marathon. It's waterfront on the gulf and clean (close to 3 hrs from Fort Lauderdale though).

Hi Sharon. We are looking to find out if Hotel Pier 66 is far from a shopping mall as we are looking to find some good priced suitcases and some items we may have forgot. Is the hotel far from the Airport. We arrive for 2 nights on the 21st Feb prior to cruise on Eclipse. Saw Grass may be to far away for travel.

Key West is a fun town to walk around but it is very far. You will be spending 8-9 hrs on the road. As far as the other Keys, it's a place to go for boating or fishing or gazing at water, but not much else, so personally I find it boring. The restaurants are very casual...My favorite restaurant is The Island in lower Marathon. It's waterfront on the gulf and clean (close to 3 hrs from Fort Lauderdale though).

Thanks for that input Royalcruz. It's so cool you do this for people. You have inspired me to try to do the same in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately there is no forum dedicated to Vancouver bc that I can find ;(

Anyway is there something in the keys that is closer to Fort Lauderdale that you could think of? I looked at the island but it seems to be quite a distance too.

Thanks,

Don & Cathi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Actually I just looked and the drive to the spot you mention is only about 1.5 hours. I will do some research to see if there are other things to do along the way

Edited by TropicalAlbino

"Unfortunately there is no forum dedicated to Vancouver bc that I can find"

On both the West Coast and Canada boards there are threads dedicated to Vancouver questions - I should know as I post to them regularly along with several other Vancouverites.

Cheers

Dennis

"Unfortunately there is no forum dedicated to Vancouver bc that I can find"

On both the West Coast and Canada boards there are threads dedicated to Vancouver questions - I should know as I post to them regularly along with several other Vancouverites.

Cheers

Dennis

I agree there are threads, however unless I troll the group and examine every thread about the west coast and canada I won't see them. Something I don't have time for. My hats off to you too.

Hi, We are going to be in FLL precruise on 2/14/13 (Valentines Day); we are staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th St. I am looking for dinner recommendations for a restaurant within walking distance of the hotel as I feel I should make a decision and a reservation before we arrive if we want to get a table on this Hallmark holiday :rolleyes: We'd enjoy local seafood, an ethnic restaurant such as Cuban or midde eastern, or even vegetarian if creative. I have also read about eating at the Chef's Palette at the culinary school and find this option interesting. Please respond with your experiences. Kind regards, Laurie

That area caters to tourists, so you'll find mostly basic and chain restaurants. Coca Asian Bistro is very nice. 15th St Fisheries , Bimini Boatyard, and Grill 66 are local seafood restaurants.No Cuban or MIddle Eastern I can think of within walking distance, sorry.

Hi we are also staying in Pier 66 for 2 night pre cruise on 22 Feb. Where is a good place to look for suitcases before we leave . Is there a good shopping centre close by.

Jackdec [fat but sliming Irishman]

Ross Dress for Less has bargain priced suitcases (less than a mile west) and for finer luggage there is a Tumi store, Macy's, and Dillard's a few miles away at Galleria Mall on the SunTrolley route.

Fat but sliming IRISHMAN

The hotel is less than 2 miles from the public beach. The area is safe. Galleria Mall is 3-4 miles away and is on the SunTrolley and bus 40 route.

Hi Sharon. We are looking to find out if Hotel Pier 66 is far from a shopping mall as we are looking to find some good priced suitcases and some items we may have forgot. Is the hotel far from the Airport. We arrive for 2 nights on the 21st Feb prior to cruise on Eclipse. Saw Grass may be to far away for travel.

If you like to ride public buses, take 40 to 36 to get to Sawgrass Mills. A taxi ride will cost about $100 round trip.

Thanks for that input Royalcruz. It's so cool you do this for people. You have inspired me to try to do the same in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately there is no forum dedicated to Vancouver bc that I can find ;(

Anyway is there something in the keys that is closer to Fort Lauderdale that you could think of? I looked at the island but it seems to be quite a distance too.

Thanks,

Don & Cathi

Actually I just looked and the drive to the spot you mention is only about 1.5 hours. I will do some research to see if there are other things to do along the way

I cannot imagine getting to The Island in 1.5 hours. You will likely get a speeding ticket along the way (there are always police cars looking for speeders along US1 to the Keys) It takes me about 2.5 hours from north Fort Lauderdale. Whatever you do, take the turnpike extension as far south as you can go. Start looking for the exit to the turnpike extention after the Hollywood exit (It will say Homestead and is an exit or 2 after Hollywood). If you get off the turpike onto I95 and then enter south Miami-Dade county traffic on US 1 instead, you will add another hour to your drive.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for a day trip or restaurant in the upper Keys. Key Largo is the first large key, and then Islamorada. There are lots of waterfront restaurants in Islamorada but nothing that really stands out for me.

Hi, We are going to be in FLL precruise on 2/14/13 (Valentines Day); we are staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th St. I am looking for dinner recommendations for a restaurant within walking distance of the hotel as I feel I should make a decision and a reservation before we arrive if we want to get a table on this Hallmark holiday :rolleyes: We'd enjoy local seafood, an ethnic restaurant such as Cuban or midde eastern, or even vegetarian if creative. I have also read about eating at the Chef's Palette at the culinary school and find this option interesting. Please respond with your experiences. Kind regards, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

The Chef's Palette is a delightful experience, but they are only open on Thursdays. Reservations are required.

Jim

Just wanted to follow-up with our experience with arriving in FLL and departing POM, and then vice-versa.

Arrived in FFL around 9:00 and got the shuttle to the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road. Hotel was fine, no issues there. When ww arrived, the woman at the desk asked us if we needed transportation to the port. I said yes and she said they have KSA Tours coming at 9:00 and departing at 9:15 and the cost was $20 a person. We signed up for that and they showed up on time, had a nice shuttle bus, and got us to POM without any issues.

On the way home we just got in the taxi line at POM, waited 2 minutes and then we were on the road. No traffic at all and the fare to FLL was $72.50. I gave him $85.

So for a family of 4, a shuttle is about the same as a taxi, if there is no traffic.

Also, compared to Port Canaveral, the POM Customs staff were VERY thorough and exacting. It took a lot longer to get through.

Thanks again to everyone on this thread for the excellent advice!!

Tony

A question I am sure has been asked before but I cannot find the answer, if we are cruising in/out of Miami and flying in/out of FLL how much time should we allow to disembark and get back to the FLL? Would a 11:30 flight be too early to schedule? Cruising Disney. :)

Thanks, Kate

It would be way too early--it's 45 minutes + from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale.

A question I am sure has been asked before but I cannot find the answer, if we are cruising in/out of Miami and flying in/out of FLL how much time should we allow to disembark and get back to the FLL? Would a 11:30 flight be too early to schedule? Cruising Disney. :)

Thanks, Kate

Well, I would probably go for it, figuring you want to get to the airport by 10:30am, and it's a full hour to FLL...you should be off and through customs by 9:30 am ... Especially if you take your own bags off. You'll also need a car service lined up or take a cab.

Also-what day of the week? If it's a weekday morning, travel time will be more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk