Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We stayed at this hotel after our cruise in Feb. There was no shuttle from the cruise port to the hotel so we had to take a cab. We took a van which accommodated six of us plus our luggage, but it cost $11 each for about a ten minute drive. I am not sure what arrangements you would have to make from the hotel to the port. They had a shuttle that took us to the shopping in the area, but I am not certain if it went to the port or not. But there are taxis (vans) that would easily accommodate three people plus luggage.

Hello

Looking for some help regarding the Sheraton Ft Lauderdale Beach.

It used to be the Yankee Clipper I think has it had a major overhaul?

Looking to book with points.

How far is it from the Port and Water Taxi stop?

What is nearby with regards to bars Restaurants etc.

We plan on a one night stay and are picking the rental car up

The next day.

Can we get about without the car?

Thanks

Edited by swigso

After reading the threads here, we would like to do the self tour using the water taxi as our flight leaves FLL very late. This is our first time in Fort Lauderdale.

What will be my options to get rid of the luggage?

We know from the previous experience that we cannot check in the luggage at the airport too early.

We can rent a car but the car will be sitting at a parking spot more less all day with luggage.

Is there a place near the port or the water taxi stop where we can check in the luggage?

Can we take carry-ons to water taxi?

If we decided to drive around instead of water taxi tour, how is the parking situation in the city and beach areas? For example, is there free parking areas near beaches? or do we need to use meter parking with coins? Assuming in the city, there will be many pay parking spots.

We will be also doing the first S2S, Vision to Liberty. What I could tell from the search, we will most probably move from Pier 4 to Pier 25 or 26? Will this distance walkable with one large luggage plus 2 carry-ons? If not what will be the options?

Pre cruise, we will be staying at Hilton Marina, but arriving late, 9 pm at the FLL. Should we have a problem to get a taxi from the hotel to the port following morning? I understand that it is very close, like few dollars distance but $10 or so min charge to the port. We may want to go to Harbour Shops or Southport Shopping Centre before we head to the port. One better than the other?

...and you asked your question on a Fort Lauderdale thread (we are 3-4 hours from Orlando).:):D:)

By the way, the Doubletree Cocoa Beach is nice and you can park there for free during the cruise, but you have to make your way to and from the cruise. I think there are a lot of hotels that have the free cruise parking and maybe even free cruise shuttles.

My goodness! Completely embarrassing. :o

Ok everyone...nothing to see here...just forget the last few hours of your life. They never happened.

Thank you royalcruz. I have no idea what happened to me last night. My brain went AWOL.

Three adults, assume 3 carry-ons and 3 suitcases. (It may only be 2; my DH can pack light!)

I'll also consider the shuttle, thanks.

That sounds a bit tight for a regular taxi but you might fit. Call Yellow Cab and tell them what you have and the dispatcher should send the right size taxi. 954-777-7777.

Edited by royalcruz

Hello

Looking for some help regarding the Sheraton Ft Lauderdale Beach.

It used to be the Yankee Clipper I think has it had a major overhaul?

Looking to book with points.

How far is it from the Port and Water Taxi stop?

What is nearby with regards to bars Restaurants etc.

We plan on a one night stay and are picking the rental car up

The next day.

Can we get about without the car?

Thanks

About 2 miles from port entrance and half block from Bahia Cabana water taxi stop on A1A. You don't need a car... you can walk to a few restaurants on the block (Bahia Cabana, Sheraton, and Marriott Harbor Beach have restaurants) a few 4 blocks away (Oasis and Bubba Gumps) and many many more if you go further.

After reading the threads here, we would like to do the self tour using the water taxi as our flight leaves FLL very late. This is our first time in Fort Lauderdale.

What will be my options to get rid of the luggage?

We know from the previous experience that we cannot check in the luggage at the airport too early.

We can rent a car but the car will be sitting at a parking spot more less all day with luggage.

Is there a place near the port or the water taxi stop where we can check in the luggage?

You will need to store the luggage in a car or use the cruiseline/airline checkin service at the terminal, if your airline participates.

Can we take carry-ons to water taxi?

You can take a tote bag, maybe a carryon suitcase...best to call the water taxi (954) 467-6677 to make sure.

If we decided to drive around instead of water taxi tour, how is the parking situation in the city and beach areas? For example, is there free parking areas near beaches? or do we need to use meter parking with coins? Assuming in the city, there will be many pay parking spots.

There are meters by the beach and downtown that accept cash and credit cards. If the meter lots are full you will also find some private lots that charge a flat fee for the day. Parking is free at Galleria Mall and shopping centers.

We will be also doing the first S2S, Vision to Liberty. What I could tell from the search, we will most probably move from Pier 4 to Pier 25 or 26? Will this distance walkable with one large luggage plus 2 carry-ons? If not what will be the options?

I'm not sure why you would need to get back to pier 4 if you don't park your car there. There will be a free shuttle to transport passengers from 25/26 to the garage by 4.

Pre cruise, we will be staying at Hilton Marina, but arriving late, 9 pm at the FLL. Should we have a problem to get a taxi from the hotel to the port following morning? I understand that it is very close, like few dollars distance but $10 or so min charge to the port. We may want to go to Harbour Shops or Southport Shopping Centre before we head to the port. One better than the other?

Most hotels in that area have taxis waiting. If not, let the hotel staff call you a taxi. Harbor Shops has Total Wine and Publix as anchors. Southport has Dollar Tree and Ross Dress for Less as anchors.

My goodness! Completely embarrassing. :o

Ok everyone...nothing to see here...just forget the last few hours of your life. They never happened.

Thank you royalcruz. I have no idea what happened to me last night. My brain went AWOL.

Thanks for dropping in to say hi anyway!:)

Most hotels in that area have taxis waiting. If not, let the hotel staff call you a taxi. Harbor Shops has Total Wine and Publix as anchors. Southport has Dollar Tree and Ross Dress for Less as anchors.

Thank you very much Sharon. After the debarkation from Vision, at Pier 4?, we move to Liberty at Pier 25 or 26? on the same day so I was wondering about options to move between piers. We will not rent a car on the date we switch the ships.

Thank you very much Sharon. After the debarkation from Vision, at Pier 4?, we move to Liberty at Pier 25 or 26? on the same day so I was wondering about options to move between piers. We will not rent a car on the date we switch the ships.

Oh, I get it now. I thought that you meant that the ship was coming into a different terminal than it left

from....didn't read carefully enough. It's pretty far, probably a mile, without sidewalks.

Get a taxi at terminal 4 and go to terminal 25 or 26. I think that will cost $10.

Oh, I get it now. I thought that you meant that the ship was coming into a different terminal than it left

from....didn't read carefully enough. It's pretty far, probably a mile, without sidewalks.

Get a taxi at terminal 4 and go to terminal 25 or 26. I think that will cost $10.

Thank you Sharon. You know everything!!!

Sharon..question about FLL terminals. I am a bit worried about disembarking and getting to the airport for a 10:35am flight. It looks like there are 19,000 passengers or 6 ships in port that day. Do they all go through the same terminal and customs? If we do self diembarkation should we be okay?

This may seem like a dumb question but what is the difference between Port Everglades and Fort Lauderdale? I am watching a webcam and it has 2 different ports to view...I thought they were the same place?:confused:

Fort Lauderdale is the name of the city and Port Everglades is the name of its only port.

Sharon..question about FLL terminals. I am a bit worried about disembarking and getting to the airport for a 10:35am flight. It looks like there are 19,000 passengers or 6 ships in port that day. Do they all go through the same terminal and customs? If we do self diembarkation should we be okay?

Each ship disembarks at a different terminal and each terminal has assigned customs agents. There will be taxi lines at each terminal to get you to FLL airport, a 10 minute ride. 10:35 AM is a bit early but you should be able to make it if you self-disembark with your luggage. If you are in the taxi line by 9 you'll be fine.

First, this thread is HUGE. I read about 10 of the first pages and the last 15 or so. Holy crap, that's a lot of great info. Great work to Royalcruz and everyone else.

Leaving on Liberty of the Seas in December. Live in Orlando, driving down. First time to Port Everglades. Driving straight down the morning of the cruise. Coming down I-95/Turnpike to I-595 and coming across. Looks like the port just is at the Eastern end of 595. Any tricky business or is it as straight-forward as it looks on the map?

Parking. On-site? Off-site? Recommendations? I have searched this thread and didn't really see firm conclusions. Granted the search turned up a TON of links.

Edited by poncho1973

http://www.lulusbaitshack.com/blog/2012/11/8/lulus-deep-fried-turkey-for-thanksgiving.html

Lulu's is serving Thanksgiving dinner this year. Also serving:

China Grill, Hilton Marina

Embassy Suites, 17th St

Shula's, beach Westin

Truluck's, Galleria Mall

Sublime, N Federal Hwy (Vegan, lunchtime)

Johnny V, Las Olas

Timpano, Las Olas

Indigo, Riverside Hotel, Las Olas (buffet)

Chima Brazilian, Las Olas

North Ocean Grill, Pelican Grand Resort

Oceanview Ballroom, Harbor Beach Marriott (buffet)

Steak 954, W Hotel

B'stro, B Ocean Hotel

Latitudes, Hollywood Beach Marriott (buffet)

Blue Moon Fish Co, Lauderdale by the Sea (buffet with champagne)

The Field, Griffin Rd (afternoon)

Thanks so very much Sharron....what would your top 3 restaurants for Turkey dinner be? closest to the Hilton Marina...if you could choose - Traditional Dinner at resonable cost

TIA for all your help

First, this thread is HUGE. I read about 10 of the first pages and the last 15 or so. Holy crap, that's a lot of great info. Great work to Royalcruz and everyone else.

Leaving on Liberty of the Seas in December. Live in Orlando, driving down. First time to Port Everglades. Driving straight down the morning of the cruise. Coming down I-95/Turnpike to I-595 and coming across. Looks like the port just is at the Eastern end of 595. Any tricky business or is it as straight-forward as it looks on the map?

Parking. On-site? Off-site? Recommendations? I have searched this thread and didn't really see firm conclusions. Granted the search turned up a TON of links.

Thank you. Just drive to the end of I595 and you'll find signs to the port and to your ship and parking garage nearby. I've never parked off site, so I'll defer to the other experts.

Thanks so very much Sharron....what would your top 3 restaurants for Turkey dinner be? closest to the Hilton Marina...if you could choose - Traditional Dinner at resonable cost

TIA for all your help

Lulu's and B'stro are closest to Hilton (you can walk) and are probably the most reasonable. Lulu's is a very casual beach bar and B'stro is nicer, very modern/chic.

http://www.lulusbaitshack.com/blog/2012/11/8/lulus-deep-fried-turkey-for-thanksgiving.html

http://www.miamiculinarytours.com/thanksgiving-specials-bstro-at-b-ocean-fort-lauderdale/