Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We also have reservations at the Hyatt Place in Dania Beach. The hotel has a free shuttle to and from the airport and for $8pp they will take you to the port. If you want shuttled to the port make sure you sign up when you check in (the time slots are 10:00, 11:00 & 12:00 I believe).

Sharon, have you eaten at the Hollywood Ale House or (Miller Ale House), not sure which one it goes by? If so, do you recommend?

I know you weren't asking me, but I just had to contribute about the Ale House. we returned from a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale last weekend. We ate at the Ale House. It was so good! My hubby had a philly steak sandwich and I had a bistro burger. We both said that was one of the best that we've had. They had many items on their menu to choose from. We sat at the bar and ate, and the bartenders were very friendly. We wanted to watch the Ohio State game and they made sure one of the TV's in our view was changed. It was a great experience, truly. Also - if you are looking for wine, the plaza next door has a Big Lots in it - they have some wine there. They had the chocolate wine, Beringer, Barefoot and some other brands. Not ah huge selection, but it served its purpose. Just FYI

Royalcruz did respond that I could get soft drinks and wine at Kmart or BJs if I was a member (seeing that you are also from Canada, I going to assume that you are not a member either). I am not too sure about alcohol. I also read someone's review, and they said that Big Lots is now selling wine and beer.

I can confirm this. I bought wine at Big Lots two weekends ago.

Edited by funinthesun1964

I know you weren't asking me, but I just had to contribute about the Ale House. we returned from a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale last weekend. We ate at the Ale House. It was so good! My hubby had a philly steak sandwich and I had a bistro burger. We both said that was one of the best that we've had. They had many items on their menu to choose from. We sat at the bar and ate, and the bartenders were very friendly. We wanted to watch the Ohio State game and they made sure one of the TV's in our view was changed. It was a great experience, truly. Also - if you are looking for wine, the plaza next door has a Big Lots in it - they have some wine there. They had the chocolate wine, Beringer, Barefoot and some other brands. Not ah huge selection, but it served its purpose. Just FYI

Brenda & Sharon,

Thanks, that's good to know, looks like we'll be heading to Millers Hollywood Ale House for dinner then picking up our hazelnut coffee creamers, case of water, and wine from Big Lots:D

Okay, this seems to be the "go to" thread for all info FLL. Doing B2B cruises Jan/Feb (Allure then Silhouette). Staying at Sheraton Beach before the Allure. Need to get from hotel to port and would like to walk if possible but the issue we have is our two year old son. Pushing a stroller and rolling three bags would be less than ideal though we could do it if needed.

So, here is the main question: Are two year olds required to use a car seat in a taxi? I know in a private car they are but I cannot find an answer to this question online and I cannot justify dragging a car seat for what is a 10 minute drive. Would hate to book a sedan for that short of a trip but will if I need to do so in order to have a car seat.

We'll walk from one pier to the other going from Allure to Silhouette. Not too concerned about that. Already have airport transfers covered by various methods. It's just this leg of the journey that is a concern.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Okay, this seems to be the "go to" thread for all info FLL. Doing B2B cruises Jan/Feb (Allure then Silhouette). Staying at Sheraton Beach before the Allure. Need to get from hotel to port and would like to walk if possible but the issue we have is our two year old son. Pushing a stroller and rolling three bags would be less than ideal though we could do it if needed.

So, here is the main question: Are two year olds required to use a car seat in a taxi? I know in a private car they are but I cannot find an answer to this question online and I cannot justify dragging a car seat for what is a 10 minute drive. Would hate to book a sedan for that short of a trip but will if I need to do so in order to have a car seat.

We'll walk from one pier to the other going from Allure to Silhouette. Not too concerned about that. Already have airport transfers covered by various methods. It's just this leg of the journey that is a concern.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

FL statute 316.613 requires car seats. Call Yellow Cab at 954-777-7777 for more info. I guess you realize that it is at least a 2 mile walk from the Sheraton to the Allure.

We have decided to stay at one of the Staybridge suites,,Plantation,,,just want to know what is around there as far as dinner,,,thanks in advance for all your help:)..

Pei Wei and Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza are within walking distance. If you have a car, J Alexanders and TGIFridays are on Broward Blvd and there are lots of chain restaurants south of there on University Dr.

We will be in Ft. Lauderdale pre-cruise the end of Jan. We will be celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary. Where or how could I maybe find a couple of coupons for the Melting Pot. We are traveling with our friends and would like to eat there but it is very pricey.

Thanks to anyone that maybe able to help.

Kris

We will be in Ft. Lauderdale pre-cruise the end of Jan. We will be celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary. Where or how could I maybe find a couple of coupons for the Melting Pot. We are traveling with our friends and would like to eat there but it is very pricey.

Thanks to anyone that maybe able to help.

Kris

http://www.savingsonarrival.com/Coupons.php?StateIDSelected=&DestinationIDSelected=1&DestinationTitle=&CouponsID=79&ClientCompanyName=The%20Melting%20Pot

I haven't seen any Melting Pot coupons lately but I just found this one. It doesn't have an expiration date and I'm not familiar with the website.

I'm at the LaQuinta on Friday and was planning on going to the Ale House for dinner since it has such a large menu so everyone should be able to find something to eat. Glad to hear that the food was good.

Please come back on here and let me know how the La Quinta was. Are you staying at the one on 26TH? Also interested in any restaurants nearby. We got a great rate at $109! This is where we are booked pre-cruise. Have not decided where we will be staying post-cruise.

http://www.savingsonarrival.com/Coupons.php?StateIDSelected=&DestinationIDSelected=1&DestinationTitle=&CouponsID=79&ClientCompanyName=The%20Melting%20Pot

I haven't seen any Melting Pot coupons lately but I just found this one. It doesn't have an expiration date and I'm not familiar with the website.

Thanks, I knew you could help :)

The Hyatt Pier 66 is a resort, the Hyatt Place is an ordinary hotel. Both are fine. If you have extended time then the Pier 66 in a heartbeat. If less then 24 hours, Hyatt Place.

/////

We have a reservation at the Hyatt Place - I was told this is fairly close to the port - is it? Which is closer - Hyatt Place or Pier 66?

Thanks.

Good news! Lulu's Bait Shack at Beach Place 5 blocks from the Westin is serving turkey dinner plus pumpkin pie for $17.95.

I'm assuming that you are staying at the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort and not the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood.

any 2012 update info to this question, we are staying at the Hiton Marina.....thanks

We have a reservation at the Hyatt Place - I was told this is fairly close to the port - is it? Which is closer - Hyatt Place or Pier 66?

Thanks.

Hyatt Pier 66 is closer to the port, but only by a few blocks. They are both in the same neighborhood and all of the other hotels on 17th St are in between the 2.

any 2012 update info to this question, we are staying at the Hiton Marina.....thanks

http://www.lulusbaitshack.com/blog/2012/11/8/lulus-deep-fried-turkey-for-thanksgiving.html

Lulu's is serving Thanksgiving dinner this year. Also serving:

China Grill, Hilton Marina

Embassy Suites, 17th St

Shula's, beach Westin

Truluck's, Galleria Mall

Sublime, N Federal Hwy (Vegan, lunchtime)

Johnny V, Las Olas

Timpano, Las Olas

Indigo, Riverside Hotel, Las Olas (buffet)

Chima Brazilian, Las Olas

North Ocean Grill, Pelican Grand Resort

Oceanview Ballroom, Harbor Beach Marriott (buffet)

Steak 954, W Hotel

B'stro, B Ocean Hotel

Latitudes, Hollywood Beach Marriott (buffet)

Blue Moon Fish Co, Lauderdale by the Sea (buffet with champagne)

The Field, Griffin Rd (afternoon)

Edited by royalcruz

We're flying into Orlando a couple nights before our cruise Dec 16. At first, I figured we'd take a cab to the Port Canaveral area, stay in a hotel and then book a car after the cruise because we're going to see family as far north as N. Carolina after the cruise.

However, I'm checking rates for car rentals and I see that I would be able to save roughly $120 - $150 if I book a car from the airport in Orlando from Dec 14-Jan 4 rather than from Dec 23 - Jan 4. Seems crazy, no?

So I have to wonder what the cab rates would likely be from Orlando's airport to the Port Canaveral area? And, for due diligence, what are the parking rates at the pier? I'm currently searching for a hotel that would allow free parking while we're on the cruise to see if that's even a viable option. One would think they would offer such a "service" if you were booking hotel nights after the cruise as well. In our case, we're not. Once we debark, it's essentially hit the road.

If the parking fees come in less than the cab rates (or even somewhat equates to the savings from the extended car rental), I'd be happy due to the convenience of having the car. From my initial research, I was finding that a cab would likely land us at $35 per person each way. Since there are 4 of us, that's $280 round trip. I'm just wondering if that's an accurate number.

Edited by BadBoysDriveAudi

Ever have one of those days? The kind of day where you finally break down and ask for help, only to find your answer immediately after you ask for help?

Yeah, I just had one of those days. I have no idea what phrase I was using during my Google search, but immediately after submitting my question, I found the website for Port Canaveral parking. It appears to be $120 for a 7 day "adventure". So since parking is less expensive than a round trip cab AND I can score a deal on the longer term car rental, it's a no-brainer.

Now I just have to find a quality hotel for a couple days pre-cruise.

Thanks for, um, the "help". :o

Ever have one of those days? The kind of day where you finally break down and ask for help, only to find your answer immediately after you ask for help?

Yeah, I just had one of those days. I have no idea what phrase I was using during my Google search, but immediately after submitting my question, I found the website for Port Canaveral parking. It appears to be $120 for a 7 day "adventure". So since parking is less expensive than a round trip cab AND I can score a deal on the longer term car rental, it's a no-brainer.

Now I just have to find a quality hotel for a couple days pre-cruise.

Thanks for, um, the "help". :o

...and you asked your question on a Fort Lauderdale thread (we are 3-4 hours from Orlando).:):D:)

By the way, the Doubletree Cocoa Beach is nice and you can park there for free during the cruise, but you have to make your way to and from the cruise. I think there are a lot of hotels that have the free cruise parking and maybe even free cruise shuttles.

Edited by royalcruz

We're staying at the Hyatt Place in Dania Beach. Is it possible to get a cab that will take 3 adults plus luggage, without ordering a car service in advance? Do they have cabs that big?

It depends on how much luggage you have.:D

Three adults, assume 3 carry-ons and 3 suitcases. (It may only be 2; my DH can pack light!)

I'll also consider the shuttle, thanks.