Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Has anyone used both QLS and SAS, both seem to have good references. But wondering if anyone has experienced both. Also, if we're a party of 4 being picked up at a FLL hotel going to POM, do we have to drive around to other hotels until we're full before getting on the road?

I am using QLS in November. The reason I choose them is because their first pickup is 10am where SAS starts at 11am. I want to get to POM as soon as I can.

Being a shared shuttle, then yes, you will be driving around picking up others unless you are on the end of the pickup route. I would think that depends on where your hotel is vs the others in the van. '

I know with QLS, you can do a private van but depending on how many people you have, it may not be worth it. I was priced $125 (I think) for the whole van. For that price, I booked their 6 passenger limo to arrive in style. :D

The last 2 hotels that I mentioned are near the airport and cruiseport, on SE 17th St in Ft Lauderdale. There is also a big shopping center, Oakwood Plaza, between Stirling Rd and Sheridan St in Dania/Hollywood a few miles south of the airport that has chain stores and chain restaurants. Some of the hotels by there are Hampton Inn FLL south, Hyatt Place south, Hyatt House, LaQuinta, and others.

Thanks a million! You are so kind to help us out like this!

Any good suggestions for a cruise and stay hotel with shuttle? I need one that will let me park for 13 days.

Looks like it may be just a economical to go over on Sat and stay as to pay parking for 13 days.

Thanks.

Any good suggestions for a cruise and stay hotel with shuttle? I need one that will let me park for 13 days.

Looks like it may be just a economical to go over on Sat and stay as to pay parking for 13 days.

Thanks.

Hey, Judy. These hotels have offered 13+ day park & cruise packages (some have shuttle or package fees): Hilton Garden Inn, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Cambria Suites. Also check the Renaissance...they don't have free shuttles but it's right next to the port and very nice, and sometimes they do a long term parking package.

Sharon

We are going to be staying at the Comfort Inn/Cruise Port South in November (Stirling Rd).

Is this hotel close to Sawgrass Mills?

TIA

Hi, nope....Sawgrass Mills is west...quite a bit west....west of 95 and

west of 75.....your hotel is much closer to the port than to the mall.

I would guess a ride to Sawgrass Mills from your hotel is between

20-30 minutes depending on traffic.

We will be in Ft Lauderdale for a 5 hour layover on a Monday next April with our 2-year old. What's the best way for us to spend our time? We fly in at noon. We need to get our luggage from our Jetblue flight, and our Southwest flight leaves at 5pm. Thanks for your help!

We will be in Ft Lauderdale for a 5 hour layover on a Monday next April with our 2-year old. What's the best way for us to spend our time? We fly in at noon. We need to get our luggage from our Jetblue flight, and our Southwest flight leaves at 5pm. Thanks for your help!

Hi Maria,:) you could take a ship tour.

Oh the picture of your baby is sooooo cute:D:):D

Hi Maria,:) you could take a ship tour.

Oh the picture of your baby is sooooo cute:D:):D

Thank you Lois!

Would we still be able to take a ship tour if we're not post/pre cruise at that point? Our cruise arrives in San Juan on Sunday. We'll be flying to FLL from SJU on Monday. We'll have a 5 hour layover until our flight to LAX. We would need to be picked up and dropped off at FLL.

Maybe just take a taxi to the beach? Most kids love the sand and water and I think there is some playground stuff there. There's also shopping areas and places to eat nearby. It's quite close to the airport.

By the time you get there, spend a couple of hours, shop, eat, etc., it would probably use up a lot of your time and maybe run off enough energy so that 2-year-old will sleep on the flight home!

Maybe just take a taxi to the beach? Most kids love the sand and water and I think there is some playground stuff there. There's also shopping areas and places to eat nearby. It's quite close to the airport.

By the time you get there, spend a couple of hours, shop, eat, etc., it would probably use up a lot of your time and maybe run off enough energy so that 2-year-old will sleep on the flight home!

That would be perfect!

Thank you Lois!

Would we still be able to take a ship tour if we're not post/pre cruise at that point? Our cruise arrives in San Juan on Sunday. We'll be flying to FLL from SJU on Monday. We'll have a 5 hour layover until our flight to LAX. We would need to be picked up and dropped off at FLL.

Ohhh...I misunderstood:eek:..thought it was post cruise......sorry.

No...a ship tour would not apply.

The beach suggestion sounds like a winner:D...winner, winner

chicken dinner;)

The water taxi looks like a good choice to see a lot. Any ideas of what we can do with our luggage? I don't know if it would be too early to check it in for our next flight. We arrive at 11:55am. I'm sure that it will take awhile to get our luggage. We'll probably be able to grab a taxi by 12:45 or so. Our next flight is at 4:55pm. Anyone know if I can check in luggage with that much of a lead time? Our plan is to take a taxi to one of the water taxi stops, and do the cruise express where you only have 6 stops. The round trip is 1.5 hours. What time should we head back to FLL, and how far is it from where we want to go? Thanks!

The water taxi looks like a good choice to see a lot. Any ideas of what we can do with our luggage? I don't know if it would be too early to check it in for our next flight. We arrive at 11:55am. I'm sure that it will take awhile to get our luggage. We'll probably be able to grab a taxi by 12:45 or so. Our next flight is at 4:55pm. Anyone know if I can check in luggage with that much of a lead time? Our plan is to take a taxi to one of the water taxi stops, and do the cruise express where you only have 6 stops. The round trip is 1.5 hours. What time should we head back to FLL, and how far is it from where we want to go? Thanks!

You cannot check luggage in that early but there is a luggage storage service at the airport. The closest Water Taxi express stop is at Hilton Marina. It does most of the full route but with fewer stops. It runs mid-December to April only. You should be in a taxi headed for the airport by 3:15 if you want to get to the airport by 3:30. It's only about 4 miles.

You cannot check luggage in that early but there is a luggage storage service at the airport. The closest Water Taxi express stop is at Hilton Marina. It does most of the full route but with fewer stops. It runs mid-December to April only. You should be in a taxi headed for the airport by 3:15 if you want to get to the airport by 3:30. It's only about 4 miles.

This full route with fewer stops--is it the cruise express that I read about on the water taxi website? Do you know if it's cheaper? Sounds like we'll have a couple of hours to spend in Fort Lauderdale---I think that shorter route will work well for us. We'll be there on Tax Day next year, so hopefully it will be far less crowded. Thanks for the info!

This full route with fewer stops--is it the cruise express that I read about on the water taxi website? Do you know if it's cheaper? Sounds like we'll have a couple of hours to spend in Fort Lauderdale---I think that shorter route will work well for us. We'll be there on Tax Day next year, so hopefully it will be far less crowded. Thanks for the info!

Yes, the cruisers express (same as website) is most of the full route, with fewer stops (it doesn't go north of Sunrise Blvd so the route is a little shorter.) It is the same price as the Water Taxi.

Hello there!

My husband & I are thinking about flying into FLL in March 2013 for the monsters of rock cruise.

We are going to be looking for a hotel room for one night (Fri into Sat) but we don't want to spend a lot of money. Any suggestions? We would also need a shuttle to the dock.

When we leave the ship we are planning a 2:00 PM flight back from FLL to Pa. so I guess we will need some kind of a ride, how would this work? Do they have shuttles or would we need to find a cab & if that's what we need to do..... is it hard to get a cab after we leave the ship?

Edited by smokey haze

Hello there!

My husband & I are thinking about flying into FLL in March 2013 for the monsters of rock cruise.

We are going to be looking for a hotel room for one night (Fri into Sat) but we don't want to spend a lot of money. Any suggestions? We would also need a shuttle to the dock. www.sunny.org provides info on most FLL area hotels. Taxis are cheap and I would not limit your search to only hotels offering "Free" shuttles.

When we leave the ship we are planning a 2:00 PM flight back from FLL to Pa. so I guess we will need some kind of a ride, how would this work? Do they have shuttles or would we need to find a cab & if that's what we need to do..... is it hard to get a cab after we leave the ship?

It is not hard to get a cab from Port Everglades to FLL -- there will be lines of cabs waiting and the trip takes about 10-15 min. and costs about $15 (for the cab, not per person); there are shuttles and cruiseline trnasfers that cost more and take longer. :(

With a 2:00 PM flight I would sleep in, enjoy breakfast in the MDR, and take my time leaving the ship -- let the early birds rush off.

Good luck! :)

Question...now is... have my car rental and want to go to a beach and do family pictures. I have a tripod and wireless remote to do them. So didn't know what beach is best and how far I will have to go? thanks going out of FLL thanks.

It is not hard to get a cab from Port Everglades to FLL -- there will be lines of cabs waiting and the trip takes about 10-15 min. and costs about $15 (for the cab, not per person); there are shuttles and cruiseline trnasfers that cost more and take longer. :(

With a 2:00 PM flight I would sleep in, enjoy breakfast in the MDR, and take my time leaving the ship -- let the early birds rush off.

Good luck! :)

thanks so very much. Sleeping in and taking our time sounds like something we will do also!

A friend of mine will be coming in to Fort L three days before our Christmas cruise out of Port Everlades, before the rest of us get there. She's staying close to Oakwood Plaza and is hoping to get some advice about making her way to South beach, particularly to do a food tour. She would prefer not to rent a car (too much stress driving and navigating she says). Any and all suggestions for transportation/entertainment/foodie type outings, etc would be greatly appreciated. She would even consider another hotel if anyone could suggest one in a better area of fort L that might meet her needs for the 4 nights she will be there.

Thank you so much on behalf of Suzanne!