Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi royalcruz (or anyone else who might have the info),

do you have any idea how much would a taxi cost from the airport/cruise port to the Executive Airport? Thanks guys.

$35-$45 plus tip. The biggest expense/distance is from the port to the northwest edge of the executive airport.

royalcruz, staying post cruise in Fort Lauderdale 2 days and looking for a nice hotel,under $250. a day in early Feb. We are not planning on renting a car. Please suggest 2 or 3 hotels where we can still get around using public transportation,water taxis,etc. Your ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's hard to find something really nice in February for under $250, but these should be good enough and under that amt in the right location: Bahia Mar, Renaissance, Holiday Inn Convention Center, Best Western Oceanside, Alhambra Beach Resort, Courtyard Beach.

Since you are so helpful, was wondering if Booking Holiday Inn Express on Davie Rd. in Davie, was a good spot. There are 14 of us flying in on Dec. 22 for a cruise out of Miami, we arrive late so chose to stay in fll. Is there any store walkable or a place to eat close by. Shuttle will take us there and then I was thinking of using FLL Express shuttle in morning to Miami. Have you heard of them before?

Thank you,

Liz

There are Shoney's and Waffle House next door and Ruby Tuesday a few blocks away. I don't know anything about the shuttle company but you should be able to get a group rate.

Edited by royalcruz

Just in case you didn't know, there is absolutely nothing around this hotel. We stayed here last year 1 night post-cruise and would never do it again. I only booked it since it had free airport shuttle. We had to order pizza (delivered) because there was nothing for us to even walk to.

As long as you're not looking for anything to do close by, you will be good at this location. Otherwise, it's not a good choice.

Thanks...did find this out AFTER I booked hotel...as we won't have a car, we'll order in...leftover Chinese for breakfast anyone??

We will be in Ft Lauderdale in Feb 13 for 2 days prior to cruise. Would like to take the water taxi while we are there. Can you tell me a little about it and where we can park. Also, we are thinking about staying at the Hampton Inn near the airport? Any info about it?

We will be in Ft Lauderdale in Feb 13 for 2 days prior to cruise. Would like to take the water taxi while we are there. Can you tell me a little about it and where we can park. Also, we are thinking about staying at the Hampton Inn near the airport? Any info about it?

There are 2 Hampton Inns near the airport. They both get pretty good reviews and are close to I-95. There is no free parking for the water taxi. The closest free parking that I can think of is at Galleria Mall next to the Gallery One Hotel stop, but the parking is meant for the mall (get a coffee in the food court);)

I stopped in at Oakwood Plaza in Dania/Hollywood today and I realized that I haven't been there on a weekend for years...I can't believe how busy that place gets!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats good to know since I'll probably be spending my precruise night there since I'm at the LaQuinta and don't have a car. :D

I stopped in at Oakwood Plaza in Dania/Hollywood today and I realized that I haven't been there on a weekend for years...I can't believe how busy that place gets!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll be staying over the road from there at the Springhill Suites next month. If I'm not getting mixed up with another post, I seem to remember you saying the Hollywood Ale House was a good place to eat. Will we be OK walking back from there to Springhill after dinner? We won't have a car but we're OK with the distance, just thinking about the safety factor. We'd rather walk than take a taxi but there's no point in taking unnecessary risks.

Yes, everybody, Oakwood Plaza is that place. I live in NE Fort Lauderdale and I'm just not used to that kind of traffic. It's across the street from Hyatt Place and Hyatt House. LaQuinta is at the south entrance. I assume there are crosswalks across Stirling Rd. but I didn't notice. Yes, Hollywood Ale House is still the best dining choice IMO....if you are coming from Stirling Rd, it's just past Home Depot on the east side of the plaza, freestanding.

Edited by royalcruz

Great information on this board! Thanks so much! We are a family of 5, 4 adults and a teenager, flying into FLL to cruise out of Miami the next day in January. We will arrive very early on Saturday, like 10am. I need some options for hotels with shuttle and something to do that Saturday. Something close to dining options, beach, and shopping would be great. We are being budget friendly. We will arrange for SAS transport to POM on Sunday. Suggestions?????

Great information on this board! Thanks so much! We are a family of 5, 4 adults and a teenager, flying into FLL to cruise out of Miami the next day in January. We will arrive very early on Saturday, like 10am. I need some options for hotels with shuttle and something to do that Saturday. Something close to dining options, beach, and shopping would be great. We are being budget friendly. We will arrange for SAS transport to POM on Sunday. Suggestions?????

Hotels near or at the beach do not offer shuttles. Some decent budget friendly hotels at the beach are Best Western Oceanside, Sheraton, Doubletree Bahia Mar, Courtyard, Westin, and Alhambra. These are all walkable to beach, shopping, and dining. Best Western is a little further from the main area, but still walkable. Hyatt Place north and Holiday Inn Convention Center are a short ride from the beach and offer some shopping and lots of dining in the area. I think they both still have airport shuttles, but you should confirm with the hotels.

During busy times, SAS does not always go between Ft Lauderdale hotels and POM, so you might need to get back to FLL for pickup.

Edited by royalcruz

Just in case you didn't know, there is absolutely nothing around this hotel. We stayed here last year 1 night post-cruise and would never do it again. I only booked it since it had free airport shuttle. We had to order pizza (delivered) because there was nothing for us to even walk to.

As long as you're not looking for anything to do close by, you will be good at this location. Otherwise, it's not a good choice.

I am looking at this hotel (Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Airport) for 1 night pre-cruise. I am only considering it because I have a late flight and the airport shuttle is 24 hours. (open to other suggestions, if anyone has any that have 24 hr shuttle)

Anyway, does anyone know approx. what a cab would cost from here to the port?

Has anyone used both QLS and SAS, both seem to have good references. But wondering if anyone has experienced both. Also, if we're a party of 4 being picked up at a FLL hotel going to POM, do we have to drive around to other hotels until we're full before getting on the road?

Hotels near or at the beach do not offer shuttles. Some decent budget friendly hotels at the beach are Best Western Oceanside, Sheraton, Doubletree Bahia Mar, Courtyard, Westin, and Alhambra. These are all walkable to beach, shopping, and dining. Best Western is a little further from the main area, but still walkable. Hyatt Place north and Holiday Inn Convention Center are a short ride from the beach and offer some shopping and lots of dining in the area. I think they both still have airport shuttles, but you should confirm with the hotels.

During busy times, SAS does not always go between Ft Lauderdale hotels and POM, so you might need to get back to FLL for pickup.

Thanks so much! If beach were not an option...where would you recommend near the airport that is still close to shopping and dining? The same ones?

Thanks so much! If beach were not an option...where would you recommend near the airport that is still close to shopping and dining? The same ones?

The last 2 hotels that I mentioned are near the airport and cruiseport, on SE 17th St in Ft Lauderdale. There is also a big shopping center, Oakwood Plaza, between Stirling Rd and Sheridan St in Dania/Hollywood a few miles south of the airport that has chain stores and chain restaurants. Some of the hotels by there are Hampton Inn FLL south, Hyatt Place south, Hyatt House, LaQuinta, and others.

Edited by royalcruz

I am looking at this hotel (Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Airport) for 1 night pre-cruise. I am only considering it because I have a late flight and the airport shuttle is 24 hours. (open to other suggestions, if anyone has any that have 24 hr shuttle)

Anyway, does anyone know approx. what a cab would cost from here to the port?

No more than $20 cab ride. Also look at Holiday Inn Express Convention Center for 24 hr shuttle.