Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Aren't you just going to get water/pop at the Winn-Dixie across from the Ocean Sky after you check in (they sell wine too if you want some)?

Royal, you are the best. Didn't know there was a Winn Dixie across the street. I even used google maps and must have missed it.

You really do need to write a travel guide for FLL

So, can you tell me how late the buses run. I thought the website showed only till 8pm, but I've never known city buses to not run at night

Royal, you are the best. Didn't know there was a Winn Dixie across the street. I even used google maps and must have missed it.

You really do need to write a travel guide for FLL

So, can you tell me how late the buses run. I thought the website showed only till 8pm, but I've never known city buses to not run at night

Google broward mass transit and pull up the schedule for bus 11. There is a different sched for the weekday and weekends. The last bus stops near the hotel on A1A between 10 and 11.

Mapquest is much better for finding stores and restaurants. Winn Dixie is across the street less than 2 blocks away in a big shopping center. McDonald's and Dunkins are there too.

I posted yesterday about finding a hotel near restaurants, the mall, etc. and got recommended Gallery One.

If I kept the original hotel that I have booked Comfort Suites Airport and Cruise is there anything close by (liqour, restaurants, etc)?

How far would it be by taxi to get to a water taxi area to go do some sightseeing?

Thanks again

I posted yesterday about finding a hotel near restaurants, the mall, etc. and got recommended Gallery One.

If I kept the original hotel that I have booked Comfort Suites Airport and Cruise is there anything close by (liqour, restaurants, etc)?

How far would it be by taxi to get to a water taxi area to go do some sightseeing?

Thanks again

The closest water taxi stop is at Hilton Marina. It's about a mile so you can walk there if you don't mind walking a mile. You can easily walk a few blocks to Harbor Shops and lots of 17th St restaurants. The closest mall is Galleria Mall, which you can get to by Suntrolley from Harbor Shops. The local stores within walking distance are CVS, grocery, wine, Dollar Tree, Ross, and a few boutiques.

I recommended Gallery One because it has a Water Taxi stop, is a block from Galleria Mall, is within 2 blocks of about 10 restaurants, and is across the street from Publix, CVS, and liquor store.

Edited by royalcruz

That code was given on another thread on here. There were several that used it on here and said they had no problem. So I booked and I'm hoping to not get "caught" either

The 11 bus will take you south to the main Ft Laud beach area and downtown/Las Olas/theatre district. It will also take you north to Lauderdale by the Sea. It goes all the way north to Pompano Beach too but there isn't much there.

Thank you both for the info!

The last few cruises we have taken out of Pt.Canaveral,,this Jan. we are going on the Oasis,,,we live in the Tampa Bay area and will be driving down to Fll....

My question to you is,,,I am holding rooms at the Extended stay America,,,Andrews Ave..Cypress Creek,,got a good rate compared to the hotels close to the port..We will park the car at park&go so parking is not a issue..

Do you know how that area is for getting something for dinner on Friday eve..or any other hotel a little closer that isn't over $120 or better for one night,,,I can't get over the prices and how they have gotten so high..Yes, I know "high season" but I did find a couple of years back much better rates...Just wondering..any advice will be helpful...Thanks in advance:)

The last few cruises we have taken out of Pt.Canaveral,,this Jan. we are going on the Oasis,,,we live in the Tampa Bay area and will be driving down to Fll....

My question to you is,,,I am holding rooms at the Extended stay America,,,Andrews Ave..Cypress Creek,,got a good rate compared to the hotels close to the port..We will park the car at park&go so parking is not a issue..

Do you know how that area is for getting something for dinner on Friday eve..or any other hotel a little closer that isn't over $120 or better for one night,,,I can't get over the prices and how they have gotten so high..Yes, I know "high season" but I did find a couple of years back much better rates...Just wondering..any advice will be helpful...Thanks in advance:)

Did you check out Sleep Inn in Dania and La Quinta in Hollywood. These are usually among the least expensive decent hotels near the port/airport. If you go with Ext Stay, check out Cypress Creek Station no more than a mile north on Andrews Ave. They have several chain restaurants (Hooters, 5Guys, Sweet Tomatoes, Chammps, etc). and even a multiplex cinema.

Did you check out Sleep Inn in Dania and La Quinta in Hollywood. These are usually among the least expensive decent hotels near the port/airport. If you go with Ext Stay, check out Cypress Creek Station no more than a mile north on Andrews Ave. They have several chain restaurants (Hooters, 5Guys, Sweet Tomatoes, Chammps, etc). and even a multiplex cinema.

Thanks for you answer,,I will check on those two hotels..and also thinking of going on Hotwire,,probably putting in a 3star...any thoughts on that...:cool:

Thanks for you answer,,I will check on those two hotels..and also thinking of going on Hotwire,,probably putting in a 3star...any thoughts on that...:cool:

As long as you don't go lower than 3 star you can usually do good with Hotwire in Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood. Boca Raton would be a good area to check too. Some of the other local cities are inconvenient, as they are too far from I-95.

Just booked this hotel and would someone to recommend a place for dinner that is close to hotel? Approximately how far would it be? Also need a place to purchase wine and beer and would like to know distance from this hotel. Thanks so much!

All within 3 blocks...

Dinner: Las Vegas Cuban, Moonlite Diner, Hollywood Ale House.

Beer & wine: Kmart, BJs (membership needed)

Royal - you are a wealth of information and sorry if this has been asked before - will be in Ft Lauderdale arriving Jan 24, 2013 around dinner time at the Amtrak station and need to get to the Marriott at the cruise port - with a lot of luggage for a 49 day cruise taxi is really the only to get there - roughly how long of a taxi ride is it and what it is likely to cost.

I will have one full day there and like to do lots of walking - will ride the bus in the core but I have looked at the water taxi and it looks expensive - is it a good way to see some of the sights or is there a hop on hop off that would provide a similiar service.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Royal - you are a wealth of information and sorry if this has been asked before - will be in Ft Lauderdale arriving Jan 24, 2013 around dinner time at the Amtrak station and need to get to the Marriott at the cruise port - with a lot of luggage for a 49 day cruise taxi is really the only to get there - roughly how long of a taxi ride is it and what it is likely to cost.

I will have one full day there and like to do lots of walking - will ride the bus in the core but I have looked at the water taxi and it looks expensive - is it a good way to see some of the sights or is there a hop on hop off that would provide a similiar service.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Dennis

The port is between the Hollywood and Fort Lauderdale Amtrak stations. A taxi is going to cost about $20. There is no Marriott by the port. Are you staying at Renaissance by Marriott?

There is no HOHO bus in Fort Lauderdale. The closest thing to this is the SunTrolley, which has very inexpensive fares. There are few scheduled stops, so you just flag it down and get off where you like along the route. You can go all the way from 17th St Harbor Shops to Galleria Mall and if you change buses you can even go downtown. They have a website. There are also public buses that run these routes but tourists like the trolley buses.

Thanks - unless there is a big saving in taxi fares I will be getting off at Fort Lauderdale as I am coming from the north - yes that is the hotel that I am staying at.

Thanks for the confirmation that there is no HOHO in Ft Lauderdale - couldn't find any with a google search and yes I have the Sun trolley in my plans and with only one day in the city will likely use it to see the close by sites.

Cheers

Dennis

Hello again royalcruz! Not sure if I've already asked this, but can you recommend any restaurants close to Ocean Sky, within walking distance? We prefer casual dining, nothing fancy :)

The local favorite is Greek Islands Taverna. They have great lambchops and spinach pie and indoor and outdoor dining. They put bread and hummus on the table for everybody and it's not fancy. It's 6 blocks south at most. They don't take reservations...you just wait in line if there aren't any tables.

A tourist favorite is Aruba for it's beach view (before dark)...it's about a mile north.

Other very close casual choices are Bamboo Beach at the Ocean Manor next door (better check reviews on that one), Ocean's Grill near CVS 2 blocks south, and Nick's Italian about 5 blocks south. If you want take out there is pizza and Chinese food across the street by Winn-Dixie plaza.

Hi,

We will be cruising October 28 and staying 2 days early at Galleria One. We will probably want to do one upscale (dressy) restaurant and one casual, within walking distance or short taxi ride and would love to have your recommendations. Also, we had planned on taking the water taxi excursion to Miami but I can't seem to find that option on their website. Do you know if it has been discontinued?

Thank you.

Hi,

We will be cruising October 28 and staying 2 days early at Galleria One. We will probably want to do one upscale (dressy) restaurant and one casual, within walking distance or short taxi ride and would love to have your recommendations. Also, we had planned on taking the water taxi excursion to Miami but I can't seem to find that option on their website. Do you know if it has been discontinued?

Thank you.

I think the South Beach Water Taxi might have ended...I can't find it either. It was a really long ride to spend a short time there. There is another way to get to/from South Beach: www.thesouthbeachshuttle.com

Use code TSBS online to save $5 on a roundtrip.

There are a few good restaurants right near the hotel. Check out Texas de Brazil, Truluck, and Capital Grill for more upscale dining and Seasons 52, Jade Palace, or PF Changs for more casual.

I think the South Beach Water Taxi might have ended...I can't find it either. It was a really long ride to spend a short time there. There is another way to get to/from South Beach: www.thesouthbeachshuttle.com

Use code TSBS online to save $5 on a roundtrip.

There are a few good restaurants right near the hotel. Check out Texas de Brazil, Truluck, and Capital Grill for more upscale dining and Seasons 52, Jade Palace, or PF Changs for more casual.

Thank you for these tips. We actually wanted the water taxi to South Beach just to be on the water, so I think we will continue to explore Ft Lauderdale by Water Taxi, which makes for a great time. :) Also looking forward to trying out a couple of these restaurants you name. We usually stay at the Hilton Marina, so this location will be new for us. Thanks again.

Ok...I'm kinda frustrated with searching for hotels lol we arrive in Ft. Lauderdale 10/27 leaving from miami 10/29, so we will be staying in ft. Lauderdale for 2 days. I've read reviews to most hotels near the airport. Some bad and some good. I end up booking at Days Inn airport ft. Lauderdale something lol on broward. Yeees I know it's cheap but my husband was laid off his job 2 months ago. So im the income for now. But its ok..we have our cruise paid for, flight paid and booked with SAS. We're ready. Buuut im reading reviews from days inn an not all were good. Does anybody know how this hotel is? Has anyone been here before? I have until the 25th to cancel but i dont have boocoo bucks either lol Sorry for the once upon a time story but we are family on here right? :D