Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi royalcruz! Looking for a rental car to pick up in Fort Lauderdale. After doing some research I've found the cars are cheaper to rent in Boca Raton. Do you know of any transportation from Ocean Sky Resort to Boca Raton? I think a taxi would be too expensive. Any help/suggestions would be great! Thanks so much.

Have you checked these boards for discount codes? I know there is one for Budget that was posted here with very good results. I know you can even google, car rental discount codes and come up with a few. Do you have AAA? Belong to BJs or Costco? I know you can get discounts from their memberships. There is a Disney Board too with lots of Florida discount codes.

Sorry I don't have all the links for you (not enough coffee yet :D) but the codes are out there with a little research.

Good Luck

We got great rates into FLL but are cruising out of Miami. I've seen anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour travel time, can it really take that long?

Also, we want a hotel that's somewhere in between that is within walking distance of a grocery store and restaurant? AND, as if we're not asking for the world....a hotel with a shuttle would be really great.

Am I asking for the moon on a platter????

We got great rates into FLL but are cruising out of Miami. I've seen anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour travel time, can it really take that long?

Also, we want a hotel that's somewhere in between that is within walking distance of a grocery store and restaurant? AND, as if we're not asking for the world....a hotel with a shuttle would be really great.

Am I asking for the moon on a platter????

Yes, it really takes that long. Most of the hotels with shuttles are closest to airports. A safe bet is to book a FLL hotel near the airport with shuttles, then use SAS shuttles to get to POM. Sleep Inn Dania has free shuttle, free breakfast, and is next to Publix. Hyatt Place Convention Center has the same and is very close to Publix. Hampton Inn north FLL on SW 12th Ave has the same and is very close to Winn Dixie.

You can walk to a few restaurants from the BW. You can also take the 40 bus or the SunTrolley to restaurants and Total Wine & Spirits. You really don't need a car at that location. They only charge $10 a day for parking if you do decide to rent a car. If you rent from Budget and return the car to the SE 17th St location they have a free shuttle to the port.

Thanks Royal. Are there any other rental companies that offer free shuttle to the cruise port?

Thanks Royal. Are there any other rental companies that offer free shuttle to the cruise port?

Yes, but you should check directly by calling the locations as these things change. I think there are National and Alamo at the airport and others outside of the airport, like Dollar and Thrifty on Miami Rd, and Avis at Hyatt Pier 66.

Royalcruz - I'm sure this has been covered in the 149 previous pages but....I was hoping you could provide two or three recommendations on hotels in the FLL area for a one night stay prior to our cruise.

Our flight will be arriving around 6:00 pm and I really only have a couple needs in a hotel.

We would like a good moderately priced restaurant nearby and someplace off site of the hotel to have breakfast. It could be as simple as a Starbucks. Both should be within a short walking distance.

If there was a grocery store nearby to purchase beer and wine that would be fabulous.

Thanks in advance.

Royalcruz - I'm sure this has been covered in the 149 previous pages but....I was hoping you could provide two or three recommendations on hotels in the FLL area for a one night stay prior to our cruise.

Our flight will be arriving around 6:00 pm and I really only have a couple needs in a hotel.

We would like a good moderately priced restaurant nearby and someplace off site of the hotel to have breakfast. It could be as simple as a Starbucks. Both should be within a short walking distance.

If there was a grocery store nearby to purchase beer and wine that would be fabulous.

Thanks in advance.

If you stay at the airport area hotels by Stirling Rd just east of I95 (where Ft Lauderdale, Dania, and Hollywood intersect) you will be right by Kmart (beer & wine) and BJ's (beer & wine by membership), and Moonlite Diner. Popular choices are Hampton Inn south FLL and Hyatt Place airport/cruiseport and there are a few others.

If you stay by the port/convention center you will be by Starbucks, a diner in Harbor Shops, as well as Publix and Total Wine in Harbor Shops. Lower cost hotels are Hyatt Place Convention Center (good price on value trips) and Holiday Inn Express Convention Center. There is also the Comfort Inn in that area on S Federal Hwy which is really close to Denny's and a few blocks from Harbor Shops.

What a wonderful sight, thank you! You've probably answered this question a zillion times, but may you recommend a nice hotel that offers both transportation from the airport as well as to the cruise port? My daughter and I will be cruising in Feb and would like something fairly nice (but not crazy expensive) but with the convenience of transportation taken care of. Thanks for your time!

What a wonderful sight, thank you! You've probably answered this question a zillion times, but may you recommend a nice hotel that offers both transportation from the airport as well as to the cruise port? My daughter and I will be cruising in Feb and would like something fairly nice (but not crazy expensive) but with the convenience of transportation taken care of. Thanks for your time!

For Ft Lauderdale?? most will not have free shuttles...cabs are cheap, easy and you are not tied to the shuttle schedule...plus you will be more comfy...

If you want to be near stuff...anything along 17th street, or Stirling road (see a couple posts above..)

Depends on budget....expensive is different things to different people....

the Hyatt Place Convention center is decent...there is an Embassy Suites, a Renaissance, Holiday Inn Express and more......all within walking distance to 'stuff' and a $10-20 cab ride from pier/hotel and airport/hotel (that's a guesstimation...may well be less..)

I agree with Megr. If "convenience" is your reason for wanting shuttles, forget it. You'll spend a bunch of your vacation time waiting at the airport, at the hotel, and on the van. On weekends in the winter there are often 9 ships in port and the shuttle will stop at all the terminals that the riders need. If you stay in the port area, taxis are about $15 from the airport and then about $10 to the port, for the whole cab. If you stay in the airport area, add about another $5-10 per ride.

The most popular nice hotels by the port are Embassy Suites and Renaissance but any of the hotels by 17th St are nice enough. The most convenient airport area hotels are the ones by Stirling Rd...most are recently built and have free shuttles from the airport and some have free breakfast and shuttles to the port too. Bear in mind that Fort Lauderdale winter prices even on basic 3 star hotels (often $200-300) seems "crazy expensive" to some people. Sometimes the best priced safe hotel that has the free shuttles is Sleep Inn Dania.

.........., what is the earliest flight time we can make out of FLL? We will walk off the ship with our luggage in hand. We are sailing on the Independence of the Seas, arriving back in port on Saturday, December 8.

Hi,

how much risk can you take ? Will everything on that day on your ship go your way ? ...... Or the ship will be late, ....... one , two or three of the immigration officials will be late, ...... someone on your ship from foreign country will be late to show up at immigration officials table and the ship can not be cleared .....

I am sure you have seen those things happen before.

I have seen posts that someone made 10:00 am flights ...... most will not book flights before 12:00 noon.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by wieslaw

We are a group of 12 looking for a reasonably priced hotel for one night. Must be clean and in a good area. We would also like a shuttle to the port.

The best area is near the port but you will have to pay for shuttles. The airport Hampton Inns have free shuttles.

Hello - we will be staying at the Sheraton Beach Resort in November for our cruise on the Allure of the Seas. This has probably been covered already, but I have a few quick questions.

1 - Are there restaurants within walking distance? I've read the restaurant in the hotel isn't that great. We aren't picky.

2 - Does the hotel offer a shuttle to the port, or am I better of getting a cab? About how much will I spend, and how long does it take?

3 - Any recommendations for attractions/fun things I should do the night before our cruise?

Hello - we will be staying at the Sheraton Beach Resort in November for our cruise on the Allure of the Seas. This has probably been covered already, but I have a few quick questions.

1 - Are there restaurants within walking distance? I've read the restaurant in the hotel isn't that great. We aren't picky.

2 - Does the hotel offer a shuttle to the port, or am I better of getting a cab? About how much will I spend, and how long does it take?

3 - Any recommendations for attractions/fun things I should do the night before our cruise?

Can't remember if they had a shuttle but there's a good seafood place across the street or about 5 blocks to your north is lulu's good food and great for people watching and there's ton's of stuff in that area. Another idea is take the water taxi around.

http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/

http://www.lulusbaitshack.com/

Also Las Olas blvd is a very nice area.

I believe a taxi from there is about 10 to 12 bucks just hope the bridge isn't up

There are just a few restaurants in the immediate area. Bahia Mar across the street is fun and casual. 3030 in the Marriott Harbor Beach (2 buildings south) is great but expensive/fancy. There is also a casual beachfront restaurant at the Marriott but I haven't eaten there. The Sheraton does have a Mexican restaurant...I heard it is very good but haven't eaten there. Oasis Cafe is about 3 blocks north. Bubba Gumps is about a block further. Coconuts is excellent and is on the street just west of the beach, about 5 blocks from the hotel. Beach Place is about a mile north on A1A and has Lulu's Bait Shack, Sonic, Hooters and a few other places.

For evening attractions, ride over to Las Olas downtown, take a cruise on the Jungle Queen, or ride the water taxi. Or you could just take a nice stroll north of the hotel on the beach road and you'll find bars/restaurants with live entertainment about 8 blocks away.

The port entrance is only about a 5 minute ride but you might have to wait for the bridge, to get through the port security line, and to get to your terminal (could be another mile or so from the entrance).

Edited by royalcruz

I will be staying one night post cruise in Fort Lauderdale. My choices for hotel are either the Hilton Marina (fort lauderdale room with 2 dbl bedds $99) or the Hyatt Pier 66 (jr suite with water taxi passes for $129). Which would you recommend? I will be touring the city for the day and looking for some shopping mall options. Thanks!!

I will be staying one night post cruise in Fort Lauderdale. My choices for hotel are either the Hilton Marina (fort lauderdale room with 2 dbl bedds $99) or the Hyatt Pier 66 (jr suite with water taxi passes for $129). Which would you recommend? I will be touring the city for the day and looking for some shopping mall options. Thanks!!

Just my 2 cents hope you don't mind if I remember right they are across the intercoastal waterway from each other and both have water taxi stops if that is how you choose to get around which I know goes to las olas area which has shops and down by lulu's(beachplace) not sure if it stops near the galleria mall though (looks like stop 2 is close)

http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/maps-stops-ft-lauderdale-express-hollywood/

Edited by TOMMYCRUISER

Just my 2 cents hope you don't mind if I remember right they are across the intercoastal waterway from each other and both have water taxi stops if that is how you choose to get around which I know goes to las olas area which has shops and down by lulu's(beachplace) not sure if it stops near the galleria mall though (looks like stop 2 is close)

http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/maps-stops-ft-lauderdale-express-hollywood/

The Gallery One Hotel stop is a half block from the Galleria Mall.

If you are touring the city during the day, then I guess you won't be using the resort much, so either would be good. I particularly like the Hyatt property though. The restaurants there are good too.

We are a group of 12 looking for a reasonably priced hotel for one night. Must be clean and in a good area. We would also like a shuttle to the port.

We have booked the Marriott Springhill Suites for 2 nights pre-cruise. According to their website they offer a free shuttle to the port and free breakfast.

I can't actually recommend it since we've never stayed there before (we're keeping our own fingers crossed it's going to be OK) but it is in one of the areas suggested by royalcruz.

I'm booked at the Extended Stay America on 17th (any thoughts?) before my cruises in Nov & Jan. Are there any BBQ restaurants within walking distance nearby? FYI I won't have a rental car and am not sure if the hotel has a free shuttle