Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I'm booked at the Extended Stay America on 17th (any thoughts?) before my cruises in Nov & Jan. Are there any BBQ restaurants within walking distance nearby? FYI I won't have a rental car and am not sure if the hotel has a free shuttle

Ernie's (barbeque and conch, island style) is about 6 blocks away and Tom Jenkins (soul food barbeque) is about 1.5 miles away. Both are on S. Federal Hwy.

Edited by royalcruz

I will be staying one night post cruise in Fort Lauderdale. My choices for hotel are either the Hilton Marina (fort lauderdale room with 2 dbl bedds $99) or the Hyatt Pier 66 (jr suite with water taxi passes for $129). Which would you recommend? I will be touring the city for the day and looking for some shopping mall options. Thanks!!

Stayed at the Hilton Marina last winter and service was awful, didn't enjoy our stay at all. Don't know about Hyatt. Stayed at Marriott Renaissance, very close to Hilton and enjoyed it a lot. Would go back to Marriott.

We are flying into FLL and cruising out of Miami, we would like to use our Starwood points for a hotel the night before the cruise. Is the Sheraton on Griffin Rd within walking distance (and ability) of restaurants and a grocery store (for wine)? Also, does anyone have any recommendations regarding a shuttle from FLL to the Miami port?

Many thanks,

kate

We are flying into FLL and cruising out of Miami, we would like to use our Starwood points for a hotel the night before the cruise. Is the Sheraton on Griffin Rd within walking distance (and ability) of restaurants and a grocery store (for wine)? Also, does anyone have any recommendations regarding a shuttle from FLL to the Miami port?

Many thanks,

kate

Hi Kate, I (along with many others on here) have used SAS to

get from FLL to the port of Miami.

Here is a link to their website:

www.ridesas.com

Many thanks,

kate

We used Quality Limo Service in July from the Hyatt Pier 66 to Port of Miami. Cost was $60 for the 4 of us. Service was excellent.

Many thanks,

kate

The Sheraton is not an easy walk to anything. The Westin at the beach is in a great location to walk to stuff and there is a CVS 2-3 blocks away that sells wine.

One night stay in Ft Lauderdale before cruise in January. Reading all the boards and trying to figure out which is a better choice. Will arrive in the afternoon and looking to stay at a place where we can walk to local restaurants, shopping or can walk to water taxi. Would you suggest Embassy suites, Hilton Marina, Gallery one or any other hotel?

One night stay in Ft Lauderdale before cruise in January. Reading all the boards and trying to figure out which is a better choice. Will arrive in the afternoon and looking to stay at a place where we can walk to local restaurants, shopping or can walk to water taxi. Would you suggest Embassy suites, Hilton Marina, Gallery one or any other hotel?

Gallery One has exactly what you are looking for. Embassy Suites is fine too. Hilton Marina has a water taxi stop, but it's a good walk to other things and the reviews are very mixed.

Hi royalcruz! Do you know if the Sun Trolley runs by the Ocean Sky Resort? And if there are any good places to eat in the area? I've asked about car rentals in the area but I'm wondering if we really need one. What do you suggest? Can we get around without one?

Hi royalcruz! Do you know if the Sun Trolley runs by the Ocean Sky Resort? And if there are any good places to eat in the area? I've asked about car rentals in the area but I'm wondering if we really need one. What do you suggest? Can we get around without one?

Eurodl, I am also staying at the ocean sky and trying to get info. We won't be there long enough to justify a car rental either. We are going to see how we feel after our flight, but we are thinking of just walking the mile or so to Los olas. Or royal did confirm to me that the #11 bus goes by the ocean sky

Eurodl, I am also staying at the ocean sky and trying to get info. We won't be there long enough to justify a car rental either. We are going to see how we feel after our flight, but we are thinking of just walking the mile or so to Los olas. Or royal did confirm to me that the #11 bus goes by the ocean sky

Hi waterbugohio!

We will be staying there for 4 days and our flight gets in at 6:00 a.m. I was going to rent a car at the airport but not sure I want to deal with that after very little sleep, plus the cost seems higher at the airport. We are thinking about just taking a taxi to the hotel and then using the trolley or walking for the 4 days we are there. Good to know about the #11 bus.

We are going to be flying into FLL on Fri Nov 23rd. Originally we thought we would be flying in late and so I booked the comfort suites airport/cruise port. Now we are able to fly in first thing and actually have time to enjoy FLL as neither one of us has been there before.

We will be cruising out out Miami the following day. Could anyone recommend a hotel close to the mall, liquor store, restaurants, etc. We would like to be able to check out the water taxi as well. Looking for something reasonable :)

Thanks in advance!

You don't need a car, as there are plenty of restaurants to walk to. I just gave this info on another thread so if you search the hotel name on this board you'll find it (sorry, I'm short on time today). There is a Sun Trolley route that goes from the hotel to Coral Ridge Mall and Galleria Mall M, W, and F.

You are mistaken. Ocean Sky is about 5 miles from Las Olas Blvd and then you have to walk another 1.5 to get from the residential part to downtown. It's the #11 bus that goes that route.

We are going to be flying into FLL on Fri Nov 23rd. Originally we thought we would be flying in late and so I booked the comfort suites airport/cruise port. Now we are able to fly in first thing and actually have time to enjoy FLL as neither one of us has been there before.

We will be cruising out out Miami the following day. Could anyone recommend a hotel close to the mall, liquor store, restaurants, etc. We would like to be able to check out the water taxi as well. Looking for something reasonable :)

Thanks in advance!

Gallery One is the only hotel that has everything that you want. Use your hhonors number on hiltonfamilymvp to get the best rates.

If you didn't use a coupon code when booking, try this one to save quite a bit. Y937800

Hi waterbugohio - question about the code. Do you need to provide any kind of documentation for this code? For example, if you use an AAA code you would need to show your AAA card. I tried the code and it saves quite a bit off the regular rate. I just don't want to get caught with my pants down...so to speak...when I show up to rent the car :o

You are mistaken. Ocean Sky is about 5 miles from Las Olas Blvd and then you have to walk another 1.5 to get from the residential part to downtown. It's the #11 bus that goes that route.

Thanks royal. I guess I was thinking of launder dale by the sea. Glad you caught that for me. Hoping to be able to leave the hotel in time to catch the 11 bus. Will do a taxi on the way back to hotel, as we will probably have some water and pop with us.

Hi waterbugohio - question about the code. Do you need to provide any kind of documentation for this code? For example, if you use an AAA code you would need to show your AAA card. I tried the code and it saves quite a bit off the regular rate. I just don't want to get caught with my pants down...so to speak...when I show up to rent the car :o

That code was given on another thread on here. There were several that used it on here and said they had no problem. So I booked and I'm hoping to not get "caught" either

Thanks royal. I guess I was thinking of launder dale by the sea. Glad you caught that for me. Hoping to be able to leave the hotel in time to catch the 11 bus. Will do a taxi on the way back to hotel, as we will probably have some water and pop with us.

Aren't you just going to get water/pop at the Winn-Dixie across from the Ocean Sky after you check in (they sell wine too if you want some)?

Edited by royalcruz

Hi waterbugohio!

We will be staying there for 4 days and our flight gets in at 6:00 a.m. I was going to rent a car at the airport but not sure I want to deal with that after very little sleep, plus the cost seems higher at the airport. We are thinking about just taking a taxi to the hotel and then using the trolley or walking for the 4 days we are there. Good to know about the #11 bus.

The 11 bus will take you south to the main Ft Laud beach area and downtown/Las Olas/theatre district. It will also take you north to Lauderdale by the Sea. It goes all the way north to Pompano Beach too but there isn't much there.