Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Okay, I'm flexible. I thought a location in between the two would be convenient for not having to go far either direction. So how about a location that's cheap, has a grocery store next door and a free shuttle from FLL to the hotel. And if I can stretch it even further...from the hotel to POM. I'm I asking too much.

The hotels I suggested for you have free FLL shuttles. You will not find a free shuttle from FLL to Miami hotels or from Ft. Laud hotels to POM. Your best bet is a low cost shuttle company like I mentioned SAS.

FLL and POM are only 35-45 minutes apart without traffic so staying at either end is fine. However, this is all highway so lots of mileage and about $70 by taxi. It tends to be cheaper to stay in Ft Lauderdale than Miami.

I hope this all makes sense out of my recommendation.

hi sorry if its been asked before but couldnt find an answer on search, our cruise arrives in fort lauderdale but our flight leaves from miami after checking the excursions we can get one that leaves fort lauderdale and arrives in miami but takes us to see the everglades as well, is this right, really wanted to check before i booked it, this would be great for us as we have a late flight and would mean we wouldnt have to hang around the airport, also would we be ok with our cases, thanks for any advice this is our first cruise and its all very new to us susie

Edited by susie2461

hi sorry if its been asked before but couldnt find an answer on search, our cruise arrives in fort lauderdale but our flight leaves from miami after checking the excursions we can get one that leaves fort lauderdale and arrives in miami but takes us to see the everglades as well, is this right, really wanted to check before i booked it, this would be great for us as we have a late flight and would mean we wouldnt have to hang around the airport, also would we be ok with our cases, thanks for any advice this is our first cruise and its all very new to us susie

Yes, that's absolutely right and it's a great way to go. We have actually done a post-cruise everglades excursion and it was very enjoyable. The way it happens is this: after you've disembarked and collected your luggage you'll be pointed to the excursion bus. Your luggage will go in the boot (trunk) of the bus and will stay with you the whole time until you are dropped at Miami airport so you do not have to worry about it at all.

Other posters have suggested that another option for those with late flights is to hire a car for the day. I believe there are several companies that will let you collect a car at Port Everglades and return it at Miami airport.

Yes, that's absolutely right and it's a great way to go. We have actually done a post-cruise everglades excursion and it was very enjoyable. The way it happens is this: after you've disembarked and collected your luggage you'll be pointed to the excursion bus. Your luggage will go in the boot (trunk) of the bus and will stay with you the whole time until you are dropped at Miami airport so you do not have to worry about it at all.

Other posters have suggested that another option for those with late flights is to hire a car for the day. I believe there are several companies that will let you collect a car at Port Everglades and return it at Miami airport.

thank you for your reply, thats great we are not very good at driving as we are from england so this suits us perfectly, thanks again susie

Your best bet is a low cost shuttle company like I mentioned SAS.

FLL and POM are only 35-45 minutes apart without traffic so staying at either end is fine. However, this is all highway so lots of mileage and about $70 by taxi. It tends to be cheaper to stay in Ft Lauderdale than Miami.

I hope this all makes sense out of my recommendation.

First time posting here. I highly reccommend SAS. Have used them many times and they are very dependable and pleasant, too!

:)

I currently have a reservation at Ramada Downtown Hollywood. We have a total of 6 in our party and will arrive FLL at 2pm on Friday 1/11/13. We were looking for a hotel within walking distance to shopping and good restaurants. The rate we got is $135.99. Would appreciate feedback as to this location and hotel. And how far is the walk to the shopping/restaurants?

Thanks for your help.

Beth:confused:

Need a suggestion for awesome hotel on the beach with close activities to stay night before cruising!

Well, since you used the word "awesome", the most awesomest hotels on Fort Lauderdale beach IMO are Marriott Harbor Beach, a sprawling resort on the beach, and W Hotel, an ultramodern sleek hotel across the street from the beach. If you want something more elegant but library quiet, the Ritz Carlton is nice. Lago Mar is also a very nice beach hotel but it isn't walking distance to anything. Marriott Harbor Beach is walking distance to bars and restaurants but it is a good walk, so bring sneakers...it is very close to water sports activities though. If you don't mind traveling about 10 miles south, The Westin Diplomat beach hotel in Hollywood is gorgeous. It's not an easy walk to anything but there are several bars and restaurants at the hotel, from upscale steak to a sports bar & grill.

I currently have a reservation at Ramada Downtown Hollywood. We have a total of 6 in our party and will arrive FLL at 2pm on Friday 1/11/13. We were looking for a hotel within walking distance to shopping and good restaurants. The rate we got is $135.99. Would appreciate feedback as to this location and hotel. And how far is the walk to the shopping/restaurants?

Thanks for your help.

Beth:confused:

This is an old basic motel in the middle of downtown. There are so many restaurants around. Some reliable picks are Mamma Mia's for neighborhood Italian food and Sage French Restaurant and Oyster Bar (awesome raspberry duck is a specialty there). Lola's is supposed to be really good too. As far as shopping there are a lot of inexpensive boutiques. Downtown has a very international feel to it, but it isn't upscale at all. Wear something nice if you go to Sage...otherwise no need to bother. (I've seen a lot of young women wearing tank tops, tight jeans, and heels in this area.)

http://www.visithollywoodfl.org/dining_nightlife.aspx

Edited by royalcruz

We are staying at the Sheraton Beach Hotel, FLL. We will be flying in from FLL airport. Was just wondering if there are plenty of taxi's outside and about how much will it cost?

Thanks in advance for any info;)

There are often taxis outside the hotel. If not ask the doorman for help. There are always taxis outside the airport. Taxi rate will be about $20 per cab including tip.

Edited by royalcruz

We did this exact tour a couple of years ago, flight departed Miami for heathrow at, I think, 6pm so we had a whole day to kill. We really enjoyed our Everglades tour, and they look after the luggage for you on the bus, and you just get it off at Miami airport when you arrive there.

The following year, we went the "day room in a hotel" route, and that was quite nice too - what we did was get the ship's transfer to miami airport, which was already included in the package, get a free hotel shuttle from Miami airport to the hotel (I think it was the Miami Sofitel) and then get the free hotel shuttle back again in the afternoon. I think the day room cost us about £50 or £60 (so cheaper than a tour - but then we'd already done the tour a year earlier)

Hoping to get some info here. I am staying at the Hilton FtL Airport on Nov. 3; sailing out of POM the next day. I live in N Florida and am thinking about taking the train down, arriving about 6:15P. Which would be the closer Amtrak station to hotel, what would be the approx cost of taxi fare and are the taxis reliable? Thanks so much for any info.

Anyone can tell me what car rental companies are at the port that you can rent for the day and leave from ft. lauderdale airport. We don't leave until 4:30pm...so looking to see if we do the airboat excursion afterwards or do a car tour the area...don't know which would be more fun for 3 adult children with us. thanks

Anyone can tell me what car rental companies are at the port that you can rent for the day and leave from ft. lauderdale airport. We don't leave until 4:30pm...so looking to see if we do the airboat excursion afterwards or do a car tour the area...don't know which would be more fun for 3 adult children with us. thanks

Budget is one rental that has a location right near the port. They have a shuttle that takes you there. You need to do a one way rental when looking for rates. Use location code EV3 for the pickup location and then the airport for the drop off location.

I got a great rate post cruise. We also had a late day flight home. Thought about the airboat excursion also, but then you would still need to taxi to the excursion site (unless you did thru the ship) And then it doesn't last very long and would still have time to kill. Instead we will get a car. Put luggage in trunk (save $$ from luggage valet)

Used code Y937800 and got a car for $39

Are there rental car companies around the port? We're thinking of renting a car after we get off our cruise, and returning it to the airport the next day. Is this possible? Charges for dropping off the car at a different point than pick up?

Thanks.

Most of the big companies have port area locations. I think Budget, Thrifty and Hertz do. I don't think there are any fees to drop off to a different location in FL.

Hoping to get some info here. I am staying at the Hilton FtL Airport on Nov. 3; sailing out of POM the next day. I live in N Florida and am thinking about taking the train down, arriving about 6:15P. Which would be the closer Amtrak station to hotel, what would be the approx cost of taxi fare and are the taxis reliable? Thanks so much for any info.

The Hilton is almost halfway between the Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood stations. Cab fare would be about $10. I don't know whether or not there are taxis at the stations so bring a cell phone and call 954-777-7777.

Just in case you didn't know, there is absolutely nothing around this hotel. We stayed here last year 1 night post-cruise and would never do it again. I only booked it since it had free airport shuttle. We had to order pizza (delivered) because there was nothing for us to even walk to.

As long as you're not looking for anything to do close by, you will be good at this location. Otherwise, it's not a good choice.

I went through the last 10 -15 pages of the thread and have my plans almost set. Just looking for some confirmation or suggestions if I'm off base.

We are a family of 4 and we are flying into FFL late on 12/22 for a cruise that departs POM on the 23rd. It looks like our best hotel options with free airport shuttle and breakfast are either the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road or the Sleep Inn Dania Beach, both running about $135 for the night.

For transportation to POM we could take a taxi for about $70 - $75 (plus tip), or the SAS or QLS shuttles for around $60. The taxi would give us more time flexibility but the shuttles are cheaper. Same situation on the way back from POM to FFL.

Am I missing anything? Should I keep searching for a better hotel rate?

Thanks!

Tony

I went through the last 10 -15 pages of the thread and have my plans almost set. Just looking for some confirmation or suggestions if I'm off base.

We are a family of 4 and we are flying into FFL late on 12/22 for a cruise that departs POM on the 23rd. It looks like our best hotel options with free airport shuttle and breakfast are either the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road or the Sleep Inn Dania Beach, both running about $135 for the night.

For transportation to POM we could take a taxi for about $70 - $75 (plus tip), or the SAS or QLS shuttles for around $60. The taxi would give us more time flexibility but the shuttles are cheaper. Same situation on the way back from POM to FFL.

Am I missing anything? Should I keep searching for a better hotel rate?

Thanks!

Tony

You are right on track. Regarding transportation, it is customary to tip shuttle drivers as well as taxi drivers. If the 4 of you can fit with luggage into a taxi, that might be worth paying the small difference for convenience. The hotels that you are looking at are very good options. Anything less costly could be a big mistake as far as location/safety/cleanliness.

Edited by royalcruz

royalcruz, staying post cruise in Fort Lauderdale 2 days and looking for a nice hotel,under $250. a day in early Feb. We are not planning on renting a car. Please suggest 2 or 3 hotels where we can still get around using public transportation,water taxis,etc. Your ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Since you are so helpful, was wondering if Booking Holiday Inn Express on Davie Rd. in Davie, was a good spot. There are 14 of us flying in on Dec. 22 for a cruise out of Miami, we arrive late so chose to stay in fll. Is there any store walkable or a place to eat close by. Shuttle will take us there and then I was thinking of using FLL Express shuttle in morning to Miami. Have you heard of them before?

Thank you,

Liz