Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

That is probably the Riverside Hotel, per BetterBidding. (It could also be Embassy Suites but I haven't heard of anyone here getting that one on Hotwire lately).

Boy, you're good! The Riverside is what I got. Can you tell me if the Ramada Downtown Hollywood is a decent hotel?

Can anyone suggest a hotel that is within walking distance to a grocery or drugstore?

DH and I will be traveling in April 2014, and I'm just trying to get a head start on research. We're looking for a hotel for under $200 and preferrably free shuttle from the airport. We'd also plan on just bringing carry on luggage on our flight, so we'd like to be within walking distance to a store we can get liquid items (shampoo, conditioner, sun block, etc.) that you can't carry on a plane. We'd also like to get some soda to bring on the ship with us.

Any ideas?

Hotel rates are high in April, but these hotels next to grocery/drug usually have the lowest rates plus airport shuttles...Look at Sleep Inn Dania, Hyatt Place 17th St Convention Center, Holiday Inn Express Convention Center, Hampton Inn FLL north, Comfort Inn/Suites Port on S Federal Hwy, and Best Western Plus on SR 84.

Edited by royalcruz

Boy, you're good! The Riverside is what I got. Can you tell me if the Ramada Downtown Hollywood is a decent hotel?

The Riverside is in the finest neighborhood of Fort Lauderdale. Spend some time walking around and enjoy the restaurants and boutiques.

Ramada Downtown Hollywood looks like an old motel. It's in a characterful neighborhood with music and dancing on the sidewalks and multi-ethnic restaurants. Check out tripadvisor and you will see that recent reviews are ok.

The Riverside is in the finest neighborhood of Fort Lauderdale. Spend some time walking around and enjoy the restaurants and boutiques.

Ramada Downtown Hollywood looks like an old motel. It's in a characterful neighborhood with music and dancing on the sidewalks and multi-ethnic restaurants. Check out tripadvisor and you will see that recent reviews are ok.

Thanks for your help and in-put.

Another question...I am sorry but you guys are so helpful.

Like I said before, I have booked the Comfort Suites on Stirling Street but thinking of maybe changing hotels.

We really need to pick up some last minute stuff for the cruise (shorts, etc) and would love to check out Sawgrass Mills. I know the Comfort Suites and the mall are quite a distance away from each other.

What kind of area is the mall in? Is it close to the beach?

What hotel in that area would you recommend?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP :)

Another question...I am sorry but you guys are so helpful.

Like I said before, I have booked the Comfort Suites on Stirling Street but thinking of maybe changing hotels.

We really need to pick up some last minute stuff for the cruise (shorts, etc) and would love to check out Sawgrass Mills. I know the Comfort Suites and the mall are quite a distance away from each other.

What kind of area is the mall in? Is it close to the beach?

What hotel in that area would you recommend?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP :)

Sawgrass Mills is in a nice area that was built over the last 20 yrs. It is about 20 miles west of the beach, and about 15 miles from the airport. The only hotel by the mall is Doubletree (formerly Crowne Plaza, I think). LaQuinta Sunrise on NW 2nd St is about a mile away. I don't think these hotels have shuttles and taxi fare would be very high. Whether you stay near the mall or stay near the airport/port, if you are going to Sawgrass Mills it is best to have a rental car.

Comfort Inn on Stirling is close to Kmart, Marshalls, Big Lots, and Ross.

For Sawgrass Mills I think you need a car--as just mentioned it is a long way from the beach or airport. We stayed at the La Quinta one night (had a rental car) and another hotel in the area (Comfort Inn?) for a night after our cruise. The La Quinta was fine, the other hotel was pretty run-down--but the kids enjoyed the pool area.

We didn't actually go to the mall--we had 7 grandkids with us! We choose those motels because they were cheap and we needed two rooms for the nine of us.

We did hit a Target and Wal-mart in the area for some necessaries.

From what I've heard, only Alamo/National customers can use the shuttles from the airport. The other companies have drop-off locations at closer to the port with shuttles to the terminals (Hertz is at the Crown Plaza, Avis is at the Hyatt, Budget is at the Quay shopping center, and Enterprise, Thrifty, and Dollar have facilities near the 24th St entrance to the port)

Thanks, I am using Alamo both ways, which is what I've used in the past, so it's probably why I'm used to it. Thanks!!

We are thinking of staying at the BW Oceanside. We will be coming from the airport. About how much is the Taxi going to cost? How about restaurants and a liquor/wine store...Thanks for any info. Plus how is the beach there?

Any other ideas about beach hotels not too expensive..We will be arriving on Thanksgiving:)

We are thinking of staying at the BW Oceanside. We will be coming from the airport. About how much is the Taxi going to cost? How about restaurants and a liquor/wine store...Thanks for any info. Plus how is the beach there?

Any other ideas about beach hotels not too expensive..We will be arriving on Thanksgiving:)

Taxi: $15-20.

Recommended restaurants: Bahia Cabana (casual), 3030 (upscale), many others if you walk about a mile north.There are also 2 casual restaurants in Sheraton and Marriott Harbor beach (on the same block) but I haven't tried them.

Liquor/wine: Closest is on Las Olas Blvd just west of A1A, about a mile from the hotel. Best is Total Wine in Harbor Shops and you can get there by SunTrolley or bus 40.

Other not too expensive beach area recommended hotels:

Courtyard, Doubletree Bahia Mar, Sheraton, Westin, Alhambra

Edited by royalcruz

Booked this hotel for March as it was reasonably priced and has an airport and cruise port shuttle. The reviews are somewhat mixed but seems to be good. Has anyone stayed here lately?

I see that the Oakwood Mall is about a 10 minute walk with a Kmart, Ross, Marshall and Big Lots. However, I cannot tell if there is anywhere closeby where I can purchase soft drinks and wine. Can anyone tell me if there is anything within walking distance.

Lastly, we will be there the day before so we are looking for somewhere to eat. I see there is an Ale house and a 50s diner in the mall. Any opinions on these are is there something better in the area to walk to (we are not seafood eaters).

Thanks for the help.

After reading on TA I'm now thinking the Westin or Sheraton..Which do you think is best. I'm going to use points. What about restaurants, liquor/wine purchase there. Thank you so much!!!!:D

The Ft Laud beach Westin is a close walk to the center of the the beach entertainment/shopping/dining area. There are lots of restaurants and you can purchase wine at CVS a few blocks away (not a bad selection for a drug store). The Sheraton is VERY close to BW and its only advantage is that one of the buildings/pools is right on the beach. The nicest Westin is in Hollywood beach (Westin Diplomat)but it isn't an easy walk to anything and is much further by taxi from port/airport.

Booked this hotel for March as it was reasonably priced and has an airport and cruise port shuttle. The reviews are somewhat mixed but seems to be good. Has anyone stayed here lately?

I see that the Oakwood Mall is about a 10 minute walk with a Kmart, Ross, Marshall and Big Lots. However, I cannot tell if there is anywhere closeby where I can purchase soft drinks and wine. Can anyone tell me if there is anything within walking distance.

Lastly, we will be there the day before so we are looking for somewhere to eat. I see there is an Ale house and a 50s diner in the mall. Any opinions on these are is there something better in the area to walk to (we are not seafood eaters).

Thanks for the help.

You can purchase soft drinks and wine at Kmart or at BJs if you are a member. The best places to eat IMO are Hollywood Ale House and Las Vegas Cuban.

Need a hotel suggestion for a family of 5 (2A, 3C - 16, 13 and 10) for one night before a cruise. We are flying into FLL, not arriving until 10 pm, but cruising out of Miami. We are leaning toward using SAS to get from the hotel to POM. Any hotel suggestions that will comfortably sleep 5 and SAS will pick up at? Thank you :)