Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I see that you've been to the Ale House twice. We will be in Dania Beach in May and was planning on going there. Do you have any recommendations of what is good to eat there?

Our group tried steaks, to sandwiches to seafood. We all thought everything was very good. They have a website that you can view their menu if you want to see ahead of time what they have.

Question for Royalcruz: We are staying at Springhill Suites in Dania Beach precruise - Feb. 15th. Have stayed there a couple of times but have never ventured out further than the mall across the street and ate at the Ale House each time. This time we would like to go over to Dania Beach for a while and find a different place to eat dinner that evening. We both don't care for seafood, but any other suggestions would be good. Is it feasible to walk to the beach from this hotel? Or would we need to take transportation and what is available? Our plane get in to FLL at 2:00 p.m. so we won't have a whole lot of daylight time to sight see, but would really like to go to the beach for a little while. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hope you had a great cruise, we've never had a bad one yet

You should take a taxi to the beach. It isn't far but is too far to walk. Some casual places there are Le Tub, and Quarterdeck on the pier. I don't hang out in that area so sorry but I don't have any other suggestions.

I see that you've been to the Ale House twice. We will be in Dania Beach in May and was planning on going there. Do you have any recommendations of what is good to eat there?

I like the zinger salad, sliders/fries, and fish tacos there. They have a big menu.

We are on a budget and don't really want to send $200 per night for a precruise hotel.

This Best Western Oakland Park seems to fit our needs. THe reviews are mixed but mostly good. How is it for cleanliness, location, cab charge to port and restaurants within walking distance (not a mile away please). You have been so helpful to many of us not familiar with Ft. Lauderdale and THANK YOU doesn't seem adaquit but a big THANKYOU anyway!:D:D

Cab fare will be about $30. I haven't been in the hotel. There are a bunch of restaurants very close by: Original Pancake House, Ale House, Mason Jar, Hi-Life Cafe are all good. Coral Ridge Mall is a block away.

Hi-

We will be driving to Port Everglades on the day of our cruise on the Silhouette, 12/23/12. From the map and port web site, it looks like our ship will be leaving from Pier 25 and we should use the midport parking garage.

1. Are there adequate parking spaces at the port? We really do prefer the port parking, but I'm a little concerned because our cruise is on a Sunday, and I'm wondering if spaces get taken on Saturday.

2. The port web site said to drop off passengers and luggage at the terminal, and then to park the car. Is this easy to do? Should we allow a lot of time for this? We are flexible as to our arrival time- currently thinking of getting there around 11:30, but we could come earlier or later if that would be better.

Thanks in advance.

Hi-

We will be driving to Port Everglades on the day of our cruise on the Silhouette, 12/23/12. From the map and port web site, it looks like our ship will be leaving from Pier 25 and we should use the midport parking garage.

1. Are there adequate parking spaces at the port? We really do prefer the port parking, but I'm a little concerned because our cruise is on a Sunday, and I'm wondering if spaces get taken on Saturday.

2. The port web site said to drop off passengers and luggage at the terminal, and then to park the car. Is this easy to do? Should we allow a lot of time for this? We are flexible as to our arrival time- currently thinking of getting there around 11:30, but we could come earlier or later if that would be better.

Thanks in advance.

I read these boards regularly and have never heard of anyone not being able to get a parking spot. It is very easy to drop off luggage at the terminal and then park. You don't really need to drop off passengers if you prefer to all walk together from the garage. 11:30 is a good time to arrive. They will start boarding around that time.

Hi,

We arrive at Ft Lauderdale the evening of March 30th to board HAL on the 31st, which is Easter Sunday. Any recommendations about a nice hotel that might be near a Catholic Church?

Thanks in advance.

St. Sebastian Catholic Church is 2 blocks from Hyatt Pier 66. This is right by the port.

We are 8 adults and all the cruise luggage flying into Fort Lauderdale and have booked a hotel in downtown Miami, a couple of blocks behind the Intercontinental Hotel. A transport/tour service says they want $15 each plus tip to take us. Would it be cheaper to take a taxi (prob. 2) or just stick with the service. BTW, our flight doesn't get into FLL till 10:30 p.m. on a Friday night. Any help appreciated.

Kathy in snowy northern Maine

Poncho, I love your slogan on the bottom of your profile. Bob:)

Thanks. A few months ago there was a thread where sigs were being discussed and how (according to some) you could look for people with extremely long sigs and know how smart they were for talking about cruises.

So the basic sentiment among a lot of posters was that the higher your number of cruises the higher your IQ and trustworthiness was.

I happen to find that to be a bunch of hogwash, so I mock it in my sig.

Case in point

A December Diamond cruiser sat in a chair in the Solarium next to me last week on the Liberty and told me these amazing cruise facts:

1. Pinching your earlobes is a proven, scientific way to cure seasickness. She has seen this done thousands of times by experienced cruisers with seasick issues and it works with 99% or greater effectiveness. You usually only have to do it once a day, at most twice. Complete cure!

2. You can go to the guest relations desk and get an exemption badge for your children to be in the Solarium any time you want them to be. I asked if this was for the handicapped or seriously ill and she said "No, any child you want. They get a badge and they are basically honorary adults."

3. On average 2 people die on each cruise.

Diamonds mak u smurt

**ETA: She was a very nice lady, though

Edited by poncho1973
She was nice.

How easy is it to get a taxi from the port back to FLL airport? Any idea on cost? Other options (than booking through cruise line) Ship gets back to the port at 7 AM, we have a 12:55 pm flight.

Thanks!

Very easy. Walk out of the terminal and turn left. Cab fare to the airport is $12.90 + tip. We had no bags except carryons. There may be additional charges for large bags. We used luggage Valet and didn't see our luggage until we got home. :D Takes about 10 minutes to get to the airport. You can use luggage valet on flights after 1130 AM.

We are 8 adults and all the cruise luggage flying into Fort Lauderdale and have booked a hotel in downtown Miami, a couple of blocks behind the Intercontinental Hotel. A transport/tour service says they want $15 each plus tip to take us. Would it be cheaper to take a taxi (prob. 2) or just stick with the service. BTW, our flight doesn't get into FLL till 10:30 p.m. on a Friday night. Any help appreciated.

Kathy in snowy northern Maine

That's only $120 for everybody. 2 taxis will cost more than that and it will probably take 3 taxis to carry you and luggage. There might be a taxi van available but I'm not sure how they charge for that many people.

Very easy. Walk out of the terminal and turn left. Cab fare to the airport is $12.90 + tip. We had no bags except carryons. There may be additional charges for large bags. We used luggage Valet and didn't see our luggage until we got home. :D Takes about 10 minutes to get to the airport. You can use luggage valet on flights after 1130 AM.

Is luggage valet offered by the cruise line (we are on Celebrity) or a service of the port? It's worth it to pay to not deal with the luggage. When we cruised out of San Juan in 08 we used the luggage service, which was great.

We are cruising out of Miami but we are taking Southwest to FLL and want to stay there for a couple of days. The question is I was thinking of staying at the Sleep Inn in Dania for 2 nights pre cruise.. It is close to food. We can get a bottle or (2) of wine and a 12 pack of Soda for the ship. I was wondering how long does it take to get to Miami Port for Carnival Liberty? How long will it take to get to the airport from Miami to FLL? I have to do my air so I want to make sure that we have enough time. I think we will be using SAS for transportation..

Thanks.. for all your help on these boards.............:D:D

We are cruising out of Miami but we are taking Southwest to FLL and want to stay there for a couple of days. The question is I was thinking of staying at the Sleep Inn in Dania for 2 nights pre cruise.. It is close to food. We can get a bottle or (2) of wine and a 12 pack of Soda for the ship. I was wondering how long does it take to get to Miami Port for Carnival Liberty? How long will it take to get to the airport from Miami to FLL? I have to do my air so I want to make sure that we have enough time. I think we will be using SAS for transportation..

Thanks.. for all your help on these boards.............:D:D

The hotel and the airport are about the same distance from Port Miami. It will take about an hour in traffic and 35-45 minutes with no traffic delays. I guess you know there is nothing to do by that hotel, just grocery store and 3 restaurants. It's only a mile from the beach though.

Edited by royalcruz

Which cruise line did you use the luggage valet? I may need that service on our RCCL cruise in May 2013.

Is luggage valet offered by the cruise line (we are on Celebrity) or a service of the port? It's worth it to pay to not deal with the luggage. When we cruised out of San Juan in 08 we used the luggage service, which was great.

By the cruise line and I believe Celebrity participates.

Which cruise line did you use the luggage valet? I may need that service on our RCCL cruise in May 2013.

RCCL (of course:p) and flying Delta. Not all airlines are available for this service.

Well I managed to surprise my wife with a cruise for Christmas, complete with the singing of Twelve days of Christmas by yours truly.

We have an extra day in Fort Lauderdale and one of the things she is very excited about is renting a car and seeing the Florida keys.

Does anyone have any suggestions on sites to see in the keys as well as a dinner choice? We will rent a car Thursday April 4 2013 around noon from Fort Lauderdale and plan on coming back to Fort Lauderdale later that night.

Is it worth driving all the way to Key West?

Thanks,

Don & Cathi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well I managed to surprise my wife with a cruise for Christmas, complete with the singing of Twelve days of Christmas by yours truly.

We have an extra day in Fort Lauderdale and one of the things she is very excited about is renting a car and seeing the Florida keys.

Does anyone have any suggestions on sites to see in the keys as well as a dinner choice? We will rent a car Thursday April 4 2013 around noon from Fort Lauderdale and plan on coming back to Fort Lauderdale later that night.

Is it worth driving all the way to Key West?

Thanks,

Don & Cathi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Key West is a fun town to walk around but it is very far. You will be spending 8-9 hrs on the road. As far as the other Keys, it's a place to go for boating or fishing or gazing at water, but not much else, so personally I find it boring. The restaurants are very casual...My favorite restaurant is The Island in lower Marathon. It's waterfront on the gulf and clean (close to 3 hrs from Fort Lauderdale though).

Edited by royalcruz

Hi, We are going to be in FLL precruise on 2/14/13 (Valentines Day); we are staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th St. I am looking for dinner recommendations for a restaurant within walking distance of the hotel as I feel I should make a decision and a reservation before we arrive if we want to get a table on this Hallmark holiday :rolleyes: We'd enjoy local seafood, an ethnic restaurant such as Cuban or midde eastern, or even vegetarian if creative. I have also read about eating at the Chef's Palette at the culinary school and find this option interesting. Please respond with your experiences. Kind regards, Laurie