Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We are a group of 10 staying at Marriott Dania Beach, we wanted a park and cruise rate. Wondering if there is a shuttle service to get us to the port or should we use the hotel transportation? Its not free, $8 per person, Just wonder if its totally crazy if it would be better to just arrange group transportation and if you have any suggestions on who to use?

thanks

$8pp is a good rate. If anything goes wrong with the hotel shuttle, It will cost about the same if you get 3 people in a taxi.

Hi

My hubby has decided that he wants to go for a meal the evening before our cruise to The Fort Lauderdale Ale House on North Federal Highway...he is a 'real ale' fanatic, and likes to try new places as and when he can....

Has any one who lives in the FL vicinity, tried this place before?? If so, any tips??

We are staying at the Marriott on North Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale North, am I correct in assuming it will be a 10 minute cab ride away....

One extra question, anyone know how far in a cab it would be from the above hotel to Hyatt Place Pier 66 ??

Thanks

Karen

Hi

My hubby has decided that he wants to go for a meal the evening before our cruise to The Fort Lauderdale Ale House on North Federal Highway...he is a 'real ale' fanatic, and likes to try new places as and when he can....

Has any one who lives in the FL vicinity, tried this place before?? If so, any tips??

We are staying at the Marriott on North Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale North, am I correct in assuming it will be a 10 minute cab ride away....

One extra question, anyone know how far in a cab it would be from the above hotel to Hyatt Place Pier 66 ??

Thanks

Karen

Ale House doesn't have any "real ale" by British standards, but they have some craft beers. DH is British and told me to tell you this. It's about a 10-15 minute ride. About the same distance or shorter is Brother Tucker's on Atlantic Blvd in Pompano and they specialize in craft ale/beer. They have 4 drafts and a very large bottle selection and the staff are experts. They also have amazing food. It's not inexpensive and it's a hole in the wall, but it's a local's paradise for ale lovers. But it's still not "real ale" by British standards. DH says that Laser Wolf's very occasionally has a barrel of real tapped ale. They have no food and it's very close to Andrews Ave but further than the others. Also on Andrews, but near the port is my favorite, Tap 42. They have 42 draft beers from around the world and excellent food.

Edited by royalcruz

Ale House doesn't have a great selection of "real ale", but they have some. It's about a 10-15 minute ride. About the same distance or shorter is Brother Tucker's on Atlantic Blvd in Pompano and they specialize in craft ale/beer. They have 4 drafts and a very large bottle selection and the staff are experts. They also have amazing food. It's not inexpensive and it's a hole in the wall, but it's a local's paradise for ale lovers.

Thanks very much for your reply, that's very helpful, will let hubby know we may have to change our plans....

What do you mean when you say it's ' a hole in the wall'.....? In the UK that's a term for an ATM:p

Karen:)

Edited by salsalady

Thanks very much for your reply, that's very helpful, will let hubby know we may have to change our plans....

What do you mean when you say it's ' a hole in the wall'.....? In the UK that's a term for an ATM:p

That was quick! I actually consulted with my British (Plymouth, Devon) DH and edited my response a bit. A hole in the wall means very basic, small, nothing fancy. We also call this a "dive".

That was quick! I actually consulted with my British (Plymouth, Devon) DH and edited my response a bit. A hole in the wall means very basic, small, nothing fancy. We also call this a "dive".

Now in England, if somebody refers to a place as a dive, then these are places to avoid at all costs....:)

Hey RoyalCruz,

Do you have any other information about walking from the Hyatt Pier 66 to one of the wine stores on 17? I'd appreciate any help or directions. :confused:

Thanks - Jerry

They are all about the same distance from the Hyatt so you might as well go to the best one, Total Wine. Turn right on 17th St, walk over the bridge, cross the street at the crosswalk, continue walking west on 17th St, and turn left just before Embassy Suites. Walk a half block and you'll see it. If you can't walk a mile carrying bottles then take a cab on the way back by calling 954-777-7777.

They are all about the same distance from the Hyatt so you might as well go to the best one, Total Wine. Turn right on 17th St, walk over the bridge, cross the street at the crosswalk, continue walking west on 17th St, and turn left just before Embassy Suites. Walk a half block and you'll see it. If you can't walk a mile carrying bottles then take a cab on the way back by calling 954-777-7777.

Excellent! Thanks for the information.

Two more questions.

Does the Sun Trolley still operate?

Where would you eat dinner in that area?

Thanks RC

Excellent! Thanks for the information.

Two more questions.

Does the Sun Trolley still operate?

Where would you eat dinner in that area?

Thanks RC

Yes, the Sun Trolley still operates, Fri-Mon until 6:30 PM.

Kelly's Landing (Cordova Rd) across 17th St from Embassy Suites is very popular if you like New England seafood. Duffy's near Total Wine is a good sports bar/grill. Closer to the Hyatt are Bravo Italiano, Market 17, and Bimini Boatyard. At the Hyatt, Pelican's Landing and Grill 66 are very good. There are so many choices.

Is Kelly's walkable from Embassy? How about the Boatyard...walkable?

Does Embassy have an airport/cruiseport shuttle available? TIA.

Kelly's is a half block from Embassy. Just cross 17th St, walk down Cordova Rd, and it's on your right in the shopping center. Bimini Boatyard is walkable but further; cross 17th St, turn right and walk about 6 blocks and it will be in The Quay shopping center. ES does have a shuttle that you can book for a fee, but it is more convenient to just get a taxi for $10-15 per taxi.

Is Kelly's walkable from Embassy? How about the Boatyard...walkable?

Does Embassy have an airport/cruiseport shuttle available? TIA.

Embassy does not have an airport shuttle. You will need to take a cab; fare is less than $15. There is a port shuttle for a charge; again a cab is about $15 for two.

I recall reading you suggest taxi from hotel to cruise then cruise to airport. How about on the front end...airport to hotel...taxi or hotel shuttle? Thanks again.

Taxi from FLL to airport or port hotels is best.

Edited by royalcruz