Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Cruise out of Fort Lauderdale March 10, 2013.

Have booked Hilton Marina for night before.

Any input on quality of hotel, or of a nice hotel for lesser rate? We're paying $265.

Also, I read that people buy wine to take on the cruise? Is there a maximum amount you can bring? We're on Celebrity Sillouette.

Thanks!

$265 sounds like a good price for the Hilton Marina in March. I can't think of anything better for less. If Embassy Suites is the same price that would be a good choice too.

I'm planning to cruise out of Miami Feb 25th and flying into FLL on the 24th. So would it be better to just rent a car and drive from FLL to MIA? I read somewhere that Super Shuttle is best because they will pick you up at FLL and take you to your hotel in MIA. Is there a hotel in MIA that you would recommend? We are only staying for a nite and just need a safe/clean place to sleep for the night. Thanks in Advance!

If you are only staying for a night, I would think it would be much easier to just take a shuttle than to rent a car. I'm not familiar enough with Miami hotels to make recommendations, but downtown area would be convenient to the port.

We are also staying at the Gallery one. Is the Cheesecake factory a good place to eat for lunch. Where is the best place to buy some wine.

jackdec

Just walk across the street (Sunrise Blvd) and you'll find a nice wine selection at Publix. Cheesecake Factory is a great place for lunch...it is 3-4 miles from your hotel. Seasons52, P.F. Changs, and the Mermaid Bar at Neiman Marcus are right in the mall next to the hotel and they are great for lunch too.

Were Staying at the Ramada Inn Marina Blvd. Any suggestions where we "Must Go" for dinner or something to do? We are arriving the day before we cruise.

See if you can get a couple of taxi vans to take the group over to Rustic Inn for dinner. Yellow cab:954-777-7777.

Dec we will be doing a B2B cruise on N. Amsterdam. We would like to cab it to Publix from the port and am wondering, is it easy to catch a cab back to the port? I also would like to know what other stores are within walking distance of the Publix nearest to the port?

Can anyone confirm if bagstogo is still available from Port Everglades to FLL. I have a group of 12 whose flights don't leave till late. Looking for something to do with our luggage till then. Have read where the bagstogo serice may no longer be available from port and you in fact must get them to the airport yourself. We are flying Spirit and it does not look like they are with Princess E-Z baggage program.

Dec we will be doing a B2B cruise on N. Amsterdam. We would like to cab it to Publix from the port and am wondering, is it easy to catch a cab back to the port? I also would like to know what other stores are within walking distance of the Publix nearest to the port?

You can call a cab at 954-777-7777 or you can probably find one at Embassy Suites (you'll see it from Publix). Other stores: Total Wine, Prissy Hen, Ross Dress for Less, Dollar Tree, Payless Shoes.

Hi - we arrive in FLL at 6:00 a.m. for a cruise same day out of Port Everglades. First, I guess we will just kill time at FLL, get breakfast and wait. But as for transportation, is a cab the best way to go to get to Port Everglades or are there other shuttle-type services available. Estimated cost of a cab or other service?

Thanks!

Edited by Blue_Flame

You can call a cab at 954-777-7777 or you can probably find one at Embassy Suites (you'll see it from Publix). Other stores: Total Wine, Prissy Hen, Ross Dress for Less, Dollar Tree, Payless Shoes.

Thanks so much, got the # and the Chamber of Commerce ought to give you some kind of award for all your efforts!

Thanks Sharon. How far are we from the cruise port from Gallery One Some peopl are meeting up in the Hilton at the beach. Is that hotel far from us.

jackdec

About 4 miles from Gallery One to the port. You can actually walk to the Hilton at the beach; it's under 1.5 miles and a very pleasant walk if it isn't too hot.

Hi - we arrive in FLL at 6:00 a.m. for a cruise same day out of Port Everglades. First, I guess we will just kill time at FLL, get breakfast and wait. But as for transportation, is a cab the best way to go to get to Port Everglades or are there other shuttle-type services available. Estimated cost of a cab or other service?

Thanks!

Yes, a cab will be most convenient and cost-effective at about $15 for the whole carload.

Hello looking for some help for at hotel. We arrive in Ft Lauderdale on 4/5/13 at 11:45 pm and sale on 4/6/13 so not much time to do much in Ft Lauderdale. Looking for a hotel and transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise port.

Is short term parking available at the pier for the Allure? Wondering if it was possible to drop off our bags, park and check in before returning our rental car. We did that in Hawaii and it was very convenient.

Yes, it is $3 for 0-1 hrs and $6 for up to 5 hours, but honestly I don't see what is convenient about this.

Hello looking for some help for at hotel. We arrive in Ft Lauderdale on 4/5/13 at 11:45 pm and sale on 4/6/13 so not much time to do much in Ft Lauderdale. Looking for a hotel and transportation from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise port.

You need a hotel with 24 hr airport shuttle or you should just take taxis (inexpensive if you stay near port or airport).

Hampton Inn Airport north has free 24 hr FLL shuttle and free port shuttle.

Crowne Plaza has free 24 hr FLL shuttle and shuttle for fee to port.

Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn Express Convention Center, Airport Sheraton, and Airport Hilton have free 24 hr FLL shuttle.

Please check with the hotels as services are always changing.

Edited by royalcruz

Yes, it is $3 for 0-1 hrs and $6 for up to 5 hours, but honestly I don't see what is convenient about this.

In the past we have dropped off our luggage before returning the rental car. If we can park and all check in at the same time then we do not all have to go to return the rental car. Our DH's can return the car and meet the ladies on the ship later.:D

In the past we have dropped off our luggage before returning the rental car. If we can park and all check in at the same time then we do not all have to go to return the rental car. Our DH's can return the car and meet the ladies on the ship later.:D

Oh, that makes sense since there are 2 couples and the wives want to go on board as soon as you can. I just thought it was you and your DH and didn't get what was convenient about going through security gates twice and security lines twice and having to show all of the staff your cards to get back in. :)

Edited by royalcruz

We have booked at Sleep Inn, Dania. We would like to take a taxi from the airport, go to Total Wine, pick up an order that we placed online and then continue with the taxi to Sleep Inn.

Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost for a trip like that? I know the meter keeps running when you go into the store, but also not sure how long it takes to get in and out with the order.

Any help with cost or estimates is welcome. Thanks.

We have booked at Sleep Inn, Dania. We would like to take a taxi from the airport, go to Total Wine, pick up an order that we placed online and then continue with the taxi to Sleep Inn.

Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost for a trip like that? I know the meter keeps running when you go into the store, but also not sure how long it takes to get in and out with the order.

Any help with cost or estimates is welcome. Thanks.

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I had a thought. Sleep Inn has free airport shuttles but now charges for transport to the port. So it might make more sense to use the free airport shuttle and then pick up the wine on the way to the port by taxi. This will work as long it isn't on a Sunday before noon when alcohol sales are prohibited.

because your flight is at 7:30 p.m.? Suggestions please!

If you have a car, you pretty much can do whatever you like: Everglades, Sawgrass, South Beach, Hard Rock, etc.

If you don't have a car, the new thing that was announced is a partnership with Sun Trolley and Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport.

http://browardnetonline.com/2013/01/fort-lauderdale-partnership-combines-airport-sun-trolley-service-and-baggage-storage/

Pretty good way to enjoy downtown, find a good restaurant and kill time before a flight. You can also hit the beach. Since your flight is a little later, I'd look into the Bag holding and maybe taxi it to and from downtown instead of the excursion as you probably want to be at the airport at or before 6 p.m. instead of the 4 p.m. dropoff with the excursion, but options are there.

Edited by kdawg954

If you have a car, you pretty much can do whatever you like: Everglades, Sawgrass, South Beach, Hard Rock, etc.

If you don't have a car, the new thing that was announced is a partnership with Sun Trolley and Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport.

http://browardnetonline.com/2013/01/fort-lauderdale-partnership-combines-airport-sun-trolley-service-and-baggage-storage/

Pretty good way to enjoy downtown, find a good restaurant and kill time before a flight. You can also hit the beach. Since your flight is a little later, I'd look into the Bag holding and maybe taxi it to and from downtown instead of the excursion as you probably want to be at the airport at or before 6 p.m. instead of the 4 p.m. dropoff with the excursion, but options are there.

Thank you so much for this post. We will have the day we return to port with nothing to do until our flight departs at 3:55. This sounds like a good alternative.