Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Tried LMT, Hotels.com, etc, none gave me a better price than direct with Hyatt.

So, I'm staying at the Hyatt Place Plantation. I know that it is near a Target, bookstore, and Publix. It is a ways out, but I'm ok with that.

Looking for dinner recommendations. We will have a rental car, so not worried about where. Last year, a friend treated us to a Brazilian Steakhouse off Las Olas (hopefully close!)

I know it was a bit of a drive, but I'm interested in other suggestions.

Thanks!

Tried LMT, Hotels.com, etc, none gave me a better price than direct with Hyatt.

So, I'm staying at the Hyatt Place Plantation. I know that it is near a Target, bookstore, and Publix. It is a ways out, but I'm ok with that.

Looking for dinner recommendations. We will have a rental car, so not worried about where. Last year, a friend treated us to a Brazilian Steakhouse off Las Olas (hopefully close!)

I know it was a bit of a drive, but I'm interested in other suggestions.

Thanks!

The steakhouse is called Chima.

I'm not familiar with the non-chain restaurants in Plantation, but I love J. Alexanders for great chain food, and it is practically next door to Hyatt Place.

If you want to come into Fort Lauderdale...

If you like Las Olas, Johnny V is very good there, and Rocco's Tacos and Yolo are very popular if you are young. In other parts of the city, Casa D'Angelo (Italian), Greek Islands, Thai Spice, and Tee Jay Thai are all excellent too.

We're trying to decide between two hotels for a one night pre cruise stay. They are close enough in price that it's not a determining factor. So can anyone help me with the answers to these questions about the Marriott Courtyard, Fort Lauderdale, Plantation on 6th Street and the Hilton Garden Inn, Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port on 18th Avenue in Dania?

Which is closer to Port Everglades and the cruise terminals?

Are there any restaurants near either of them?

What about shopping or a place to buy wine?

Thanks for any answers anyone can give me.

We're trying to decide between two hotels for a one night pre cruise stay. They are close enough in price that it's not a determining factor. So can anyone help me with the answers to these questions about the Marriott Courtyard, Fort Lauderdale, Plantation on 6th Street and the Hilton Garden Inn, Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port on 18th Avenue in Dania?

Which is closer to Port Everglades and the cruise terminals?

Are there any restaurants near either of them?

What about shopping or a place to buy wine?

Thanks for any answers anyone can give me.

Hilton Garden Inn is much closer to port.

There are several chain restaurants in walking distance to both.

They are both adjacent to outdoor shopping centers and Courtyard is also adjacent to a good size mall. Place to buy wine near Hilton is Kmart (nothing gourmet) or BJ's (with membership), and by Courtyard is Total Wine & Spirits.

I need some advice please. We are doing a B2B on MSC Poesia so we will have a full day in Fort Lauderdale. We could stay on the ship but wonder whether we should explore instead.

We are a family of four (children are 10 and 8) and we are not keen on shopping so that does not attract.

I would like to know the cost of a taxi to the Port Everglades National Park for the air boat alligator trip. How much would the day cost?

Is the beach worth a visit? We are cruising the Caribbean so this isn't necessarily the best idea. How much would a taxi be there?

What about the town of Fort Lauderdale? Is that worth a visit?

What about the water taxi? How would we catch it? What do you see? How long does it last? How much does it cost?

many thanks

Cruising tomorrow -

How early do people line up at the Princess terminal? Is 9:00am too early to arrive?

I would love to know the answer to this as well. We are sailing Feb. 6 on Princess, we have a suite so we will have preferred boarding but want to be among first on to sign up for the sanctuary.

I need some advice please. We are doing a B2B on MSC Poesia so we will have a full day in Fort Lauderdale. We could stay on the ship but wonder whether we should explore instead.

We are a family of four (children are 10 and 8) and we are not keen on shopping so that does not attract.

I would like to know the cost of a taxi to the Port Everglades National Park for the air boat alligator trip. How much would the day cost?

I'm not sure of the park fees, but taxi is about $170 plus tip.

Is the beach worth a visit? We are cruising the Caribbean so this isn't necessarily the best idea. How much would a taxi be there?

$10-15 from Port Everglades, nice beach. Go to Beach Place for restaurants, shops, and restrooms.

Downtown is nice to walk around. About $15 taxi.

What about the water taxi? How would we catch it? What do you see? How long does it last? How much does it cost?

$20 adult/ $13 child

Catch it at Hilton Marina

You'll see the waterways.

You should get off downtown or at the beach.

If you don't get off, the round trip is 3 hours or there is an express Water Taxi that takes about 90 minutes round trip.

Cruising tomorrow -

How early do people line up at the Princess terminal? Is 9:00am too early to arrive?

I've never arrived before 11 because they won't let you on the ship until about that time. If you don't mind standing in a line to get inside, arrive as early as you choose. Once they let you in the building you'll check in and go to the waiting area.

Cruising tomorrow -

Princes only allows you to go on the ship when all the cabins are ready and you can go directly to them.

Other cruiselines allows you to go on the ship, they announce when the cabins are ready and only then can you go to them.

I'm not sure of the park fees, but taxi is about $170 plus tip.

$10-15 from Port Everglades, nice beach. Go to Beach Place for restaurants, shops, and restrooms.

Downtown is nice to walk around. About $15 taxi.

$20 adult/ $13 child

Catch it at Hilton Marina

You'll see the waterways.

You should get off downtown or at the beach.

If you don't get off, the round trip is 3 hours or there is an express Water Taxi that takes about 90 minutes round trip.

Gosh the alligator trip is out then! Ouch!! If we do that it needs to be en route to the airport on an MSC trip.

How much would a regular taxi be in order to catch the water taxi? Is it something you can get on and off? How often does it run?

We really don't want to spend a lot of money on changeover day. If we go to the beach is that the same location as the town so we could do both if we got a taxi to Beach Place?

edit - I've just been on trip advisor which gives Beach place a big thumbs down!

We are a family of four if that is any help. We are looking for somewhere clean and safe. Is there anything that I've not thought of that might be good?

Edited by Jo and Rob

Cruising tomorrow -

I would love to know the answer to this as well. We are sailing Feb. 6 on Princess, we have a suite so we will have preferred boarding but want to be among first on to sign up for the sanctuary.

I know it's too late for Pmelba (cruising this am) but if the port is busy we've had it where the shuttle vans were not allowed into the port before 10:30 - Port Authority wanted to clear arriving passengers out first. So should you be in a taxi and get held up, keep in mind the meter keeps ticking when you're parked!!

Gosh the alligator trip is out then! Ouch!! If we do that it needs to be en route to the airport on an MSC trip.

How much would a regular taxi be in order to catch the water taxi? Is it something you can get on and off? How often does it run?

We really don't want to spend a lot of money on changeover day. If we go to the beach is that the same location as the town so we could do both if we got a taxi to Beach Place?

edit - I've just been on trip advisor which gives Beach place a big thumbs down!

We are a family of four if that is any help. We are looking for somewhere clean and safe. Is there anything that I've not thought of that might be good?

$10 cab to Hilton Marina water taxi. It runs every 30 minutes and is hop on hop off for the fare. It starts at 10:15 (express) or 10:26 for regular (all 11 stops), all are same price.

Beach Place is fine. At night it can get wild but it's fine for you and your family in the daytime. It's the only place with public bathroom, beach, AND restaurants in one place in Fort Lauderdale. Sometimes the public bathroom runs out of supplies so bring your own.

You could also look at Hollywood beach or Dania beach. They're a little further but I can't advise you where to go there because I don't go there.

We are doing a B2B in a couple of weeks. We'll get off the Allure and then on to the Silhouette. We'd like to head to a grocery store between cruises. Is there one within walking distance (15 minutes or so) of the port or will we need to cab it?

Thanks,

Ken

We are doing a B2B in a couple of weeks. We'll get off the Allure and then on to the Silhouette. We'd like to head to a grocery store between cruises. Is there one within walking distance (15 minutes or so) of the port or will we need to cab it?

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken:).....Port Everglades is NOT pedestrian friendly. It is more than

just cruiseships with just too much traffic for you to walk anywhere.

Even the closest hotels (along 17th Street) which is near the port?

It is just not recommended to walk to the port. I have sailed from

there many, many, MANY times over the years and a cab would

be the best way to get anywhere to and from the port.

Even walking between those 2 terminals isn't recommended. Take a taxi to Publix in Harbor Shops. It is the nicest grocery store in the port area. If you are planning to purchase wine, you won't be able to until noon since it's a Sunday (city ordinance).

Our return flight on Jan. 26 from Ft Lauderdale back to Toronto is 10 pm, which means we'll have a very long wait between getting off the ship (Oasis of the Seas) and flying home - yikes! Trying to explore our options, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Airport lounge doesn't seem to be available in Terminal 2. United Club is in Terminal 1, and not accessible to passengers on Air Canada flights departing from Terminal 2. So sitting there for hours is not an option...

With 12 hours to kill, a post-cruise tour wouldn't help much. Can anyone recommend a hotel where we can park ourselves for the day (for a fee) and use their facilities? Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I asked the same question for a late flight from MIA. There the advice was to leave cases in 'left luggage' at MIA and get the bus to the beach.

Not sure whether FLL has a 'left luggage' dept?

My questions; Are there enough taxis for the thousands who disembark on a Sunday or should I prebook a limo? What is the taxi fare from Port Everglades to MIA, what tip appropriate for two people?

Our return flight on Jan. 26 from Ft Lauderdale back to Toronto is 10 pm, which means we'll have a very long wait between getting off the ship (Oasis of the Seas) and flying home - yikes! Trying to explore our options, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Airport lounge doesn't seem to be available in Terminal 2. United Club is in Terminal 1, and not accessible to passengers on Air Canada flights departing from Terminal 2. So sitting there for hours is not an option...

With 12 hours to kill, a post-cruise tour wouldn't help much. Can anyone recommend a hotel where we can park ourselves for the day (for a fee) and use their facilities? Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Check www.between9and5.com for hotels offering day rooms -- availability will vary with the demand/tourist season. I'd rent a car for the day, put the bags in the trunk, and then go where you want - beach, lunch, shopping, sight seeing, movies, etc. Good luck! :)

I asked the same question for a late flight from MIA. There the advice was to leave cases in 'left luggage' at MIA and get the bus to the beach.

Not sure whether FLL has a 'left luggage' dept?

My questions; Are there enough taxis for the thousands who disembark on a Sunday or should I prebook a limo? What is the taxi fare from Port Everglades to MIA, what tip appropriate for two people?

There are lots of taxis - never had to wait more than a minute or two. the cab fare from Port Everglades to MIA (about a 45+ minute trip!) will be between $85-100. :eek: I'd add at leasr a $12-15 tip onto the fare.

You might check with Larry's limos (often suggested for Miami service on these boards) an dtypically cheaper than a cab or QLS transportation (www.qualitylimoservice.com ) for shared shuttle service. This is one trip where the cruiseline transfer bus may not be a bad option. Good luck! :)

I can't think of anything other than a taxi, and you are right, it would be a very expensive ride. Look at rental car locations in Fort Lauderdale that are not airport based instead. Ocean Sky Resort is in central/north Fort Lauderdale. See my posting on the Ocean Sky thread for suggestions.

Where is your thread on Ocean Sky? Staying there in April and want to see what Im in for...;)

Help. Not sure if I should scrap this and start over. I accidentally booked the Hampton Inn Cypress Creek (priceline). We get in really late the night before a cruise and I am thinking I should cut my losses and book something else. Thinking the taxi prices will be pretty high. Airport to hotel and then to cruise terminal. Since we get in late I don't really care if it is near shopping, etc. Should I scrap this hotel and book something else?:mad:

Help. Not sure if I should scrap this and start over. I accidentally booked the Hampton Inn Cypress Creek (priceline). We get in really late the night before a cruise and I am thinking I should cut my losses and book something else. Thinking the taxi prices will be pretty high. Airport to hotel and then to cruise terminal. Since we get in late I don't really care if it is near shopping, etc. Should I scrap this hotel and book something else?:mad:

Taxi should be about $40 each way. If you don't mind the rides (about 20-25 minutes each), then you could just keep this hotel, since you already paid for it. It's right off I-95 so it's all highway driving. If you go back on Priceline, be sure to select downtown or airport zones to keep taxi fare the lowest.:)