Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

switching gears, the Hampton Inn located at airport, I think it is referred to as airport north. How far is it from Kelly's Landing or Bimini Boatyard? Attemping to make final arrangements, sorry for all the rambling questions:)

2.5 -3 miles to either.

Any thoughts on Tap 42 on South Andrews Drive,??

That's Sounds close to hotel on NortH Andrews Drive???

As Brits we love just to have burgers, wings etc....:)

Karen

10 miles to Tap42...you would be going from the north end of the city to the south end of the city. Tap 42 has great gourmet burgers. I'm not sure about wings. The food is more gourmet. Right near the Marriott are Champps (nice sports bar, a few draft beers, good American pub food), 5 Guys (burgers), and Hooters (wings), in Cypress Creek Station. You could walk there.

Edited by royalcruz

10 miles to Tap42...you would be going from the north end of the city to the south end of the city. Tap 42 has great gourmet burgers. I'm not sure about wings. The food is more gourmet. Right near the Marriott are Champps (nice sports bar, a few draft beers, good American pub food), 5 Guys (burgers), and Hooters (wings), in Cypress Creek Station. You could walk there.

How much roughly would the 10 miles cost in a cab?

Thanks for all your advice BTW..

Karen

Embassy does not have an airport shuttle. You will need to take a cab; fare is less than $15. There is a port shuttle for a charge; again a cab is about $15 for two.

I hope the Embassy has a shuttle, because we booked their cruise package which includes shuttle from airport to hotel and then from hotel to cruiseport. We booked this on their hotel website.

I hope the Embassy has a shuttle, because we booked their cruise package which includes shuttle from airport to hotel and then from hotel to cruiseport. We booked this on their hotel website.

They do not have a shuttle like many hotels-- a free one where you get off your plane and onto their shuttle and then to hotel. They are probably using a hire--the same as they do when you let them shuttle you to the port.

We have found it just as economical to use taxis...it is faster and no waiting to fill your vehicle and load luggage, etc.

We are Fort Lauderdale Newbies.

We will be staying in Ft Lauderdale for 2 days post cruise. Feb 2-4th.

We will be driving from Miami up to ft Lauderdale.

I am looking for some suggestions on things to do.

We love checking out fleamarkets. I’ve searched some out… Swap Shop and Festival Fleamarket are the only ones I’ve really found. Are there anymore worth going to?

As well…where are some areas to shop?

I think I saw that there is a trolly that you can take? Where does it do?

Anything exciting for a 12 yr old boy to do?

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Thanks so much!!!!!!

We are doing a red eye from Seattle on the same day as our cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in April. Was thinking about taking a hotel shuttle (Sheraton or Crowne Plaza??) to an airport hotel to have breakfast. We would then hang out for a while and get a taxi to the port.

Any suggestions or alternative ideas would be appreciated.

We are Fort Lauderdale Newbies.

We will be staying in Ft Lauderdale for 2 days post cruise. Feb 2-4th.

We will be driving from Miami up to ft Lauderdale.

I am looking for some suggestions on things to do.

We love checking out fleamarkets. I’ve searched some out… Swap Shop and Festival Fleamarket are the only ones I’ve really found. Are there anymore worth going to?

As well…where are some areas to shop?

I think I saw that there is a trolly that you can take? Where does it do?

Anything exciting for a 12 yr old boy to do?

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Thanks so much!!!!!!

If you are heading to Fort Lauderdale, Swap Shop and Festival are the only fleamarkets to go to. Festival isn't is indoors and has lots of little booths and stalls that sell things (it's huge), but you will only find used items at Swap Shop (I think Thursdays and Sundays are the big days for the used merchandise but I'm not sure, and the best time for used stuff is in the morning.

The Suntrolley isn't a real trolley...it's a bus that looks like a trolley that you can flag down for a ride. It runs the beach and downtown routes.

Also look at Boomers and Water Taxi.

I am looking at the Hyatt Place North and the Bahia Mar hotels for Dec 26,27, Jan 4. There is only $12 between the two hotels. There is only adults.

Hyatt Place North - free breakfast, shuttle airport to hotel

Bahia Mar - Beach

Which would you choose?

I am looking at the Hyatt Place North and the Bahia Mar hotels for Dec 26,27, Jan 4. There is only $12 between the two hotels. There is only adults.

Hyatt Place North - free breakfast, shuttle airport to hotel

Bahia Mar - Beach

Which would you choose?

I would definitely choose the beach. Staying at Hyatt Place is more like staying in the suburbs. However, Dec-Feb can be chilly at the beach area, so maybe it doesn't really matter.

Edited by royalcruz

All right. I've read most of the forums. This is for (royalcruz). I see that u went on liberty of the seas. How was it? Etc. I'll be going March 25-30. I'm flying in on Sunday and was looking for hotels. I'm down to a few hotels. The weekend I'm going is a little expensive.

>Embassy

>Bahia Mar

>Rhode Way Inn

>Holiday Inn

All were under 250 with tax. Also, I love Thai food. U mention a few times Thai Spice. Is there one by las olas? Thank u sooooo much for ur input.

All right. I've read most of the forums. This is for (royalcruz). I see that u went on liberty of the seas. How was it? Etc. I'll be going March 25-30. I'm flying in on Sunday and was looking for hotels. I'm down to a few hotels. The weekend I'm going is a little expensive.

>Embassy

>Bahia Mar

>Rhode Way Inn

>Holiday Inn

All were under 250 with tax. Also, I love Thai food. U mention a few times Thai Spice. Is there one by las olas? Thank u sooooo much for ur input.

I love Liberty of the Seas! I'll be going on it in February again. March is such a nice time in Fort Lauderdale. I would stay at the beach at Bahia Mar. Embassy Suites is a nicer hotel but Bahia Mar is in a better location if you enjoy the beach. The Holiday Inn Convention Center location (SE 17th St) is better than the Holiday Inn on SR84. I wouldn't recommend Rodeway Inn unless it is really cheap and the only thing you can afford; it gets very mixed reviews and isn't in a good location to do anything. Thai Spice is awesome. There is nothing like it on Las Olas. These 2 mixed-Asian restaurants on Las Olas offer some Thai foods, and both are good:

http://www.wildeastbistro.com/

http://www.asiabayrestaurants.com/index_files/menu.htm

My husband and I will be staying in Ft. Lauderdale 1 night prior to our cruise in May. We are staying at Doubletree Gallery One. I've stayed there for work a couple years ago and enjoyed my room overlooking the waterway. Hoping for the same this trip. My husband has never been to Ft. Lauderdale and I'm excited to show him around. Even though we have a short stay. My plan is to take the water taxi around and stop at Los Olas for a late lunch early dinner. What restaurant would you recommend for us to eat at. We likely mostly American or Italian food. I've eaten at Mango's before and would consider again if you think it's good. I know that if we get hungry later on we can walk over to the Mall and eat at one of the many restaurants there. Really like Seasons 52 or PF Chang too. Thank you so much for your help on this board.

My husband and I will be staying in Ft. Lauderdale 1 night prior to our cruise in May. We are staying at Doubletree Gallery One. I've stayed there for work a couple years ago and enjoyed my room overlooking the waterway. Hoping for the same this trip. My husband has never been to Ft. Lauderdale and I'm excited to show him around. Even though we have a short stay. My plan is to take the water taxi around and stop at Los Olas for a late lunch early dinner. What restaurant would you recommend for us to eat at. We likely mostly American or Italian food. I've eaten at Mango's before and would consider again if you think it's good. I know that if we get hungry later on we can walk over to the Mall and eat at one of the many restaurants there. Really like Seasons 52 or PF Chang too. Thank you so much for your help on this board.

Big City Tavern, Mangos, YOLO, Noodles Panini, and Cheesecake Factory are the most popular lunch restaurants there. Have fun!:)

Cruise out of Fort Lauderdale March 10, 2013.

Have booked Hilton Marina for night before.

Any input on quality of hotel, or of a nice hotel for lesser rate? We're paying $265.

Also, I read that people buy wine to take on the cruise? Is there a maximum amount you can bring? We're on Celebrity Sillouette.

Thanks!

Edited by jopow138

Will be stopping at Cozumel, Georgetown GCM , and Falmouth Jamaica on our Celebrity Sillouette cruise in March.

Any advice on great excursions? We like to snorkel, also sight seeing. Are there any tropical forest type things? We're fine with walking through areas, but not much climbing! Motor tours thru the areas are also an interest.

Thanks

No, that is not correct. Tri-Rail is not a viable option for tourists. It is not AT or connected to the airports... You need to take a bus or taxi from MIA to the station, then you need to take another bus or taxi from the station in Ft. Lauderdale to the airport.

Tri-Rail is a commuter train, and not a very good one at that. It's frequently delayed and there is nowhere for luggage. It's not designed for tourist use, it's far more trouble than it's worth, by the time you get done with it you'll be exhausted and wishing you'd have just taken a shuttle or rented a car!

I'm planning to cruise out of Miami Feb 25th and flying into FLL on the 24th. So would it be better to just rent a car and drive from FLL to MIA? I read somewhere that Super Shuttle is best because they will pick you up at FLL and take you to your hotel in MIA. Is there a hotel in MIA that you would recommend? We are only staying for a nite and just need a safe/clean place to sleep for the night. Thanks in Advance!

Cruise out of Fort Lauderdale March 10, 2013.

Have booked Hilton Marina for night before.

Any input on quality of hotel, or of a nice hotel for lesser rate? We're paying $265.

Also, I read that people buy wine to take on the cruise? Is there a maximum amount you can bring? We're on Celebrity Sillouette.

Thanks!

Hi:) Celebrity allows 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. I have been

sailing with Celebrity for almost 10 years now:D...I love it. Enjoy

Silhouette. I am sailing her in April!

We are also staying at the Gallery one. Is the Cheesecake factory a good place to eat for lunch. Where is the best place to buy some wine.

jackdec

Hi, yes, they have a full menu.....lunch and dinner. I see you are

from Ireland....love your accent:D:)

To give you an idea of Cheesecake Factory, here is a link to the

website.....lots and lots of choices of all different kinds of food.

Click on the menu link........

http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/

Edited by Lois R

Will be stopping at Cozumel, Georgetown GCM , and Falmouth Jamaica on our Celebrity Sillouette cruise in March.

Any advice on great excursions? We like to snorkel, also sight seeing. Are there any tropical forest type things? We're fine with walking through areas, but not much climbing! Motor tours thru the areas are also an interest.

Thanks

Consider the Mayan ruins excursion or taxi to Paradise Beach for lunch/drinks in Cozumel. Swimming with the stingrays in GCM has been my favorite excursion in these ports.