Regent or Seabourne

Shipkicker

Here is my next question. If these get to inane, let me know and I will stop. If you had a choice (realizing that each line has their very loyal passengers) would you choose Regent or Seabourne. If you could, would you give a few reasons for your choice. Thanks!

Seabourn has formal nights while Regent's cruises (under 15 nights) are elegant casual.

Seabourn ships are smaller which makes it easier to provide more personalized service to the guests.

Two (almost three) Seabourn ships are new while Regent's three ships were built from 1999 - 2003 (note: Seabourn's three small ships were built in the early 90's).

Regent includes airfare, most excursions and 1 night pre-cruise at a hotel while Seabourn does not.

Note: We have not sailed on Seabourn (only Regent and Silversea) and are interested in trying them sometime. They run incredible specials on certain itineraries, but, when we add in business class air, the price increases dramatically.

Both cruise lines are highly rated. You really cannot go wrong with any of the luxury cruise lines.

Thanks for your responses. I take it that I can expect to pay more (per diem) on Regent than Seabourne since Regent seems to be “more” inclusive than Seabourne. Would I be correct in believing they are pretty much the same (amenities wise)? Regent being more expensive because of air and excursion inclusion in the fare?

Thanks for your responses. I take it that I can expect to pay more (per diem) on Regent than Seabourne since Regent seems to be “more” inclusive than Seabourne. Would I be correct in believing they are pretty much the same (amenities wise)? Regent being more expensive because of air and excursion inclusion in the fare?

Actually, we do not find Regent to be more expensive than Seabourn. When you take Seabourn's cruise fare and add in airfare, excursions and one night pre-cruise, many times you find them very comparable. If Seabourn was truly less money, we would have tried them by now;)

I guess we all look for and see different things. I find Seabourn cheaper even with all the included things you are paying for on Regent. Remember included does not mean free.

You're right. . . "included does not mean free". Coincidentally, I received a Seabourn email this morning with their 7 day specials. I priced out a couple of them. . . adding in Business Class Air and the cost of a Regent Penthouse equivalent suite. On the smaller ship itineraries. . . 7 nights. . ., the cost was less than Regent. So, I stand/sit corrected;) Unfortunately, a ship that holds 209 passengers is a bit too small for us.

but booked the 500,,,or less,,,ship,,Sojourn,,the new one...so should be similar,,just a LITTLE smaller than Voyager,....was on SeaDream,,great but too small,,100 or so....hard to find just the right fit...loved Regent and booked again with them for next xmas cruise,,,picked SB for ship,,,but also mainly itinerary in Norway...cost is less a factor,,needed dates,length,,etc. on this one...both sound great and looking forward...SB gets good reviews too,,,only problem is smoking issue,,,GADS<<<i know,,not again,,,but there I said it...hey,,,how lucky are we to have such "problems" ,right????:)

• 3 months later...

the Sojourn was MUCH nicer in every way than Regent Voyager,,,the problem with vibration on Voyager non existent on Sojourn,,and the small size of 400 passengers makes for no waits and excellent service..the food was fantastic and no problem getting table for 2,,,which is hard on Voyager unless you eat very early....the cabins were similar....was concerned about smoking issue,,but only noticed it in halls and smoking areas,,,not in cabin,,or on balcony,,,but DID like Regents smoking policy much better....have booked a Dec.cruise on Regent Mariner,,,,am hoping it will compare to Sojourn,,,but a HARD ACT to follow....I ve been on many luxury cruiselines and this was the best SO FAR.....:D

• 3 months later...

Thank you all for sharing. We have our first Regent cruise next month. I've been looking at southeast Asia, Viet Nam in particular, and found Sebourne has a 14 days cruise including ports interesting to us.

Has anyone cruised to VN and southeast Asia on Seaboure?

Thank you all for sharing. We have our first Regent cruise next month. I've been looking at southeast Asia, Viet Nam in particular, and found Sebourne has a 14 days cruise including ports interesting to us.

Has anyone cruised to VN and southeast Asia on Seaboure?

Did the Seabourn Pride Hong Kong to Singapore last December and had a wonderful time. Enjoyed the talks by the lecturer on board prior to going ashore as especially in Vietnam gave a feel for the history and people. Found it great that being on a small ship allowed us to dock right in at Ho Chi Minh city.

Also Halong Bay was beautiful.

If your able we did the kayaking excursion and though my shoulder were a bit stiff that night they were fine the next day. Also felt wonderful and peaceful while kayaking. We were lucky as the day started overcast and cool but just before lunch when kayaking was lovely and sunny.

Our friend did the Hanoi bus trip and she found it interesting but it is a long day as the bus takes about two hours one way.

We liked the more intimate feel of the ship and are booked to do another trip in the Pride this February.

Julie

Archived