Just back from the Fiji to Tahiti cruise

Trend

I will start off short but sweet as I am still jet lagged. But as the Captain said in 6 years he has never seen such calm waters and great weather.

The Soffitel in Fiji was lovely nothing to complain about, rooms were great as well as the pool and food. The departure to ship was a mess, poor organization on the part of the transportation company and people all wanting to be first. Give it up you are on holiday.

Once on board everything went smooth and efficiently. The ship looks great but somethings were overlooked (like the chairs in La Palette are worn out with staples coming out of the piping trim) this is small but should have been done as the rest of the ship looks great.

The food is still wonderful although I did notice that the menu did not vary much over several days and they limited their fish choices so I missed some of the exotic fish we dined on many years ago. Some commented on their lack of choice of wine but I do not drink and my husband seemed to always find a wine he enjoyed.

The one big thing many commented on as the 12 days ended, was toward the end of the cruise we had to request toilet paper and they had to search out rolls for our cabin and others. This seems small but made a 6am. phone call very uncomfortable. The departure day as we all waited in the Grand Salon the ladies washroom also ran out and we all had to spare a square!

I will follow up with a blow by blow report but our room was great the staff was great the best entertainment was the staff show and the Cousteau talks were very informative.

Looking forward to your review.

I too noticed last year that the quality of fish had gone down. In Regent days there would be fresh fish delivered to the ship everyday.

The shortages of things like Toiler paperreally upset me. I know they usually load up in Papeete but why couldnt they evaluate their stock cupboard and make some stopgap purchases in Fiji. Bad planning like that is unpardonable. Someone should be taken to task.

I also hope that they will expand their wines. Those too have gone down somewhat. They used to serve a very nice Coppola wine in La Veranda but we never see that quality now and its more low level supermarket pours. The sad part is that even at the lower level in terms of price one can get some decent wines. Something for PG to consider.

Twin - its all about the time of year for the crossing to Fiji.

Before we booked we polled staff on board for the best time of year. The unilateral answer was november so thats when we went. We only had a little roughness out by Aitutaki - otherwise smooth sailing.

Will try to do my best to keep it up to date as my son is arriving for my 60th birthday from Australia and we are picking him up soon.

Departure was fine once on the ship and our first stop at Suva we did a tour booked on our own through Discover Fiji and it was great. Got to see the people and raft as well as swim in a waterfall. Not much at that port to stick around. Next was Savusavu, we planned on joining a dive group even though we only snorkel, I will never do that again (not safe they were not looking after us just the divers). P&G did not offer much at this port and unless you want crafts set up in stalls by the locals that was the shopping in this very small simple port. It was a shame that there were not more choices offered at this port as it is very lush and great snorkeling.

Day at sea was nice but as most do not want sun anymore spots on deck that were shaded were tough to get and the screen covered lounges were very firm to lay on for a long time (guess I need more cushioning)

Tonga was next and we had a tour booked with some other people met on C.C.

It was a wonderful tour of great coral, fish, swallows cave (swimming in and out of) and a wonderful quick pick-nick on a sandy island. Some stalls set up at dockside for wood and other crafts very very simple stuff. Mark Eddows gave a wonderful talk to give us background on this port and the people and history of it's settlement.

The entertainment was a rock violinist and he played several times, my husband did not like it as it was too pitched shreeky but other did it was not what I call great, but I have a son who plays classical guitar and great soft rock and writes his own stuff so maybe we are biased. Amplified violin in a small room resonates a little too much. Michael Shapiro did do his show which was good as did their keyboard man who did a fun show of movie theme songs with video back up on a screen with great clips.

Will continue soon.

Can't wait for more details!:D Pictures too, Please!!!;)

Happy Birthday...enjoy your son's visit!!

BTW- we also had a tiny potty problem on debarkation day; the one right outside the Grand Salon got so yucky and no tp, that ladies started apologizing on the way out. Because its a one holer; (as we joke in our family) I think everyone was afraid of having the next person think they had left it that way!

Miriam: If November is good time of year for cruising South Pacific, would the cruise in September 2014 be best time? You have been very helpful so just wondering, as newbie. Also, would an oceanview cabin be alot smaller than balcony? Even though so far away, getting excited about the SP and the PG. Hope you dont mind my questions, as positive will have many more before this cruise, thanks,

Most sizes are the same unless you get into the top level I had a balcony that we upgraded to but it was the same size as our original E level room.

November was great for Fiji and that part of the South P. But in Bora Bora it was extremely hot.

Days at sea were nice and they always had interesting things that were offered. Movies some game trivia and talks. Internet worked better when in port on our Ipad and yes we were able to Skype but only when in port.

Aitutaki was beautiful we had great weather and arriving was easy it was departing they had difficulty. We had booked this private charter and as I mentioned we had a day of bliss just the two of us on sand bars by ourselves visiting the giant clams, coral, amazing fish and clarity of the water could not have been better. Then a private lunch cooked by our hosts of fresh fish and vegt. and chicken. Crossing the date line back and forth got very confusing and some kept checking what day we were on and did we really have two days in a row at sea.

Another day at sea after Cook Islands and we had to clear immigration for F&P and we also got our passports back. They had cooking demo's with Cousteau and the head chef also arts and craft projects with an in house art person and the Gauguines.

Next was Bora Bora and we took the morning tour with Christophe company and a gentleman named Simon took us out for a nice morning. Unfortunately it started to rain and made the areas where we had hoped to see Manta Rays too cloudy and they did not appear. It cleared up soon and one stop we saw a very large eel. Afternoon was too hot and sunny to go to the motu as people were returning saying it was cooking out there. So we went back to the town area (blip on map) and shopped (nice pearl bracelets for my husband and I). Gifts for daughter-in-law and grandson and son. Okay shopping done.

Hi trend,

My wife and I will be in Aitutaki in June. Can you share how/who you booked your private charter with? Sounds like a great way to see a place I'll probably only see once in my lifetime.

Thanks!

I found them on TA and the are called Black Pearl Charters (Mike and Mere) outstanding day worth every penny

Mike and Mere Tekotia (tekotia@aitutaaki.net.ck) They met us as we got off the tender.

Great weather again and wonderful day on the motu, no bugs like we had the summer we went so it was quite pleasant. Wonderful food, fun snorkeling made for a great chill day.

Friday was Moorea and we took a cab waiting right at the tender pier straight to the Hilton for the day, as we had toured the island many years before.

We were aware their pool was under-construction but that did not mater. We had a wonderful day with a trip they gave us to the motu that all the hotels use and we got to pat stingrays and had excellent snorkeling. Back at the hotel they gave us a sumptuous lunch a little fun with the paddle boats and some shopping in their Robert Wan shop. So I would say it was a worth while day and very relaxing as we could do as we wanted just the two of us. Money well spent for what we got.

Archived