koo-nard or cue-nard?

meaty_petey

How did Monsieur Cunard pronounce his name? Was the emphasis on the first or last syllable? (If this has question alredy been asked then I apologize - I could not find such a post when I searched the forum).

Peter

How did Monsieur Cunard pronounce his name? Was the emphasis on the first or last syllable? (If this has question alredy been asked then I apologize - I could not find such a post when I searched the forum). Peter

It has - but I can't find it either. The Oxford English dictionary has:

Cunarder: /kju:'na:de/ - the last 'e' is upside down - which I think translates as 'Kew naad er - so it would be 'Kew naad'. Its certainly not Koooooonard!

Peter

I just got back from the QM2. EVERYONE associated with the cruise line pronounced it Cue-nard with the accent on "nard."

If it's good enough for the employees then it's good enough for me! I had always assumed that was the pronunciation but just recently I heard the alternative in two different circumstances. Thanks everyone for clearing this up.

(And may I say again that after spending 9 months on the Carnival boards it is so refreshing to read posts written in complete sentences with correct spelling and a tasteful lack of oversized flashing signatures. God bless you people.)

Peter

If it's good enough for the employees then it's good enough for me! I had always assumed that was the pronunciation but just recently I heard the alternative in two different circumstances. Thanks everyone for clearing this up.

(And may I say again that after spending 9 months on the Carnival boards it is so refreshing to read posts written in complete sentences with correct spelling and a tasteful lack of oversized flashing signatures. God bless you people.)

Peter

:eek: Wait until you meet our two Aussie ladies! And we have a jeans thread around somewhere. Of course there are denim gowns and demin bow ties here.

:eek: Wait until you meet our two Aussie ladies! And we have a jeans thread around somewhere. Of course there are denim gowns and demin bow ties here.

Don't forget the gentlemen in the bow ties entertaining in Nov. and Jan. for Penny's and my b-day sailings :D

Betsy/534

Don't forget the gentlemen in the bow ties entertaining in Nov. and Jan. for Penny's and my b-day sailings :D

Betsy/534

I'm clapping myself on the forehead once I finish this sentence! (ouch) Shame on me for forgetting your and Penny's fine young gentlemen. ;)

How did Monsieur Cunard pronounce his name? Was the emphasis on the first or last syllable? ...

The best advice on pronunciation is by William Strunk, Jr., and E. B. White in "The Elements of Style":

If you don't know how to pronounce a word, say it loud! ... Why compound ignorance with inaudibility? Why run and hide?

Paul

Hi Peter...was that comment referring to me...an Aussie.

Well let me tell you ...I have class...my kangaroo has a the best quality bowtie one can buy. *G*

Hi Peter...was that comment referring to me...an Aussie.

Well let me tell you ...I have class...my kangaroo has a the best quality bowtie one can buy. *G*

It was I, not Peter who said that. You know of our two Aussie ladies, Margot and Lyn? You will have to go to the Roll Call section and have lots of free time to read that message thread, but you will be thoroughly entertained.

I would LOVE to see your be-bowed kangaroo, btw. ;)

my kangaroo has a the best quality bowtie one can buy. *G*

Painter - the "two Aussies" quote was nothing to do with you - it relates to an unfortunate pair who are almost, as I type, trying to get into the Britannia in spangly flip-flops whilst pulling rickshaws (don't ask!). I'm sure that you and your kangaroo would be more than welcome to join them:D

You will have to go to the Roll Call section and have lots of free time to read that message thread, but you will be thoroughly entertained.

It's a thread that started out as vaguely roll callish (once upon a time). Now 1200 posts later it has veered so far off topic it's in danger of heading back to a roll call thread for a cruise that's gone!

Painter - the "two Aussies" quote was nothing to do with you - it relates to an unfortunate pair who are almost, as I type, trying to get into the Britannia in spangly flip-flops whilst pulling rickshaws (don't ask!). I'm sure that you and your kangaroo would be more than welcome to join them:D

Morning Malcolm, caught you trying to encourage yet another Aussie on our trip.

Two Aussies are two too many;).

Anon

Roger Donaldson, chief wine steward on the QE2 prior to his retirement was a 55 year Cunard employee. He pronounced it as in the French way of pronouncing 'duck'. Ka-nard. He retired from Cunard in 1978.

The change in pronounciation by current employees may be due to the international nature of the people who now work for that company.

There are various 1930's British newsreels featuring the restart of work on, and the eventual launch of, the original Queen Mary. The announcer always pronounces the company name Cue-nard (accent on last syllable.) Best. David

Archived