Portland & LL Bean transportation questions

KelJ

We have a port stop in Portland on July 9th from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and would like to spend a big chunk of the day at LL Bean in Freeport. I am disappointed to find out that there is apparently no public transportation from Portland to Freeport. I called LL Bean, and they suggested that I call the Chamber of Commerce for transportation suggestions.

Our cruiseline (RCCL) offers an LL Bean Freeport shopping transfer for $28 per person, which is great except that they only let you shop for three hours. They offer the transfer at three different times out of Portland: 8:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., and the return times for each are four hours later.

It would be ideal if we could take the 8:30 a.m. transfer and return on one of the later shuttles, but I can't get an answer from the cruiseline as to whether that's doable. Has anyone had any luck? If it's even possible, it would obviously depend on how many people have booked the later shuttle and whether there would be room for the four of us.

I guess another option is renting a car and driving up to Freeport. Can anyone give me an estimate of the cost? I have read that other cruisers have had the car rental company pick them up and drop them off at the pier. I think it was Enterprise.

Can anyone tell me if there is cab service available from Portland to Freeport and, if so, what the approximate round-trip cost would be?

Thank you for any help that any of you can offer.:)

Used to live up there...I can tell you there will be cab service available to LL Bean from Portland - don't know the cost. Would be pretty expensive. Getting a cab out of LL Bean would be interesting. You could have them call one for you, but you might be better to pre-arrange to have them come back for you at a certain time.

Why don't you try a limo service? The Portland jetport website probably lists some limo services.

Used to live up there...I can tell you there will be cab service available to LL Bean from Portland - don't know the cost. Would be pretty expensive. Getting a cab out of LL Bean would be interesting. You could have them call one for you, but you might be better to pre-arrange to have them come back for you at a certain time.

Why don't you try a limo service? The Portland jetport website probably lists some limo services.

Thanks for the limo suggestion. The kids would probably love it.

try this link and see if it might help - Jan

http://www.freeportusa.com/FreeportGettingHere.html

Thanks for posting this great link. I'll be making some calls tomorrow!

We rented from enterprise...they do pick up at the port, and the whole process was simple and inexpensive (about $50 or so, not including gas). We were able to stop at other locations as well, which was nice.

$50 sounds great. Thanks for the info!

We summer outside of Portland and Freeport is only 15 miles or so. Try Priceline for a car. On my last trip I was able to get one for $17 for the day! You won't spemd a fortune in gas as it's not very far. It is very easy to get to. We take the Maine Turnpike (95) to 295 north. I usually get off at exit 20 but there are several before and after that that'll all take you to the same place. There is plenty of parking available. We usually park at the Village Square lot. I make a trek to Freeport every summer and fall. The shopping is great! When the kids were little we took them to the McDonalds which in itself is unique. It is set in an old Greek revival home and it's only of the only McDonalds in the country that had to conform to the the town's design requirements. You'd miss it if you didn't see the small McDonald's sign in the front yard. Have fun!

I am also going on the same cruise and would be interested in sharing the costs of a van to Freeport for the day. There are four of us. If interested, e-mail me at wnuk103@msn.com

I sent an email to Mermaid Transportation due to their quote on the freeportusa.com website kindly provided by Jan In Maine. I will let you know when I receive a response.

There are four in our family as well. Were you planning to spend the entire day there? We were thinking maybe like leave the pier at 8:30 a.m. and be back at like 5:00 p.m. or something like that. They may have set times, so we'll have to wait and see. I hope we can work something out.

Have you stopped by the roll call? Here is a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=534346

"Non-excursion transportation to Freeport from Cruise Ship dockings in Portland, Maine is available through Mermaid Transportation. Two convenient round trip schedules are generally available. Group rates and custom round trip transportation packages to Freeport are also available."

We summer outside of Portland and Freeport is only 15 miles or so. Try Priceline for a car. On my last trip I was able to get one for $17 for the day! You won't spemd a fortune in gas as it's not very far. It is very easy to get to. We take the Maine Turnpike (95) to 295 north. I usually get off at exit 20 but there are several before and after that that'll all take you to the same place. There is plenty of parking available. We usually park at the Village Square lot. I make a trek to Freeport every summer and fall. The shopping is great! When the kids were little we took them to the McDonalds which in itself is unique. It is set in an old Greek revival home and it's only of the only McDonalds in the country that had to conform to the the town's design requirements. You'd miss it if you didn't see the small McDonald's sign in the front yard. Have fun!

Wow, $17 is phenomenal for a car rental! If I can't arrange other transportation, we'll rent a car. Thanks for the tip on the McDonalds too. I'm sure the kids wouldn't mind stopping in for some fast food.

I am also going on the same cruise and would be interested in sharing the costs of a van to Freeport for the day. There are four of us. If interested, e-mail me at wnuk103@msn.com

John,

Mermaid Transportation got back to me today with a quote for round-trip transportation from Portland to Freeport. For four passengers, the quote is $160. For eight passengers, the quote is $200. So if you wanted to share the ride, the cost would be $100 per family. They said that, for the eight of us, they would probably use a 14-passenger van.

The times that I suggested were leaving the pier at 8:30 a.m. and then leaving Freeport at 4:15 p.m. Of course we can adjust these times before booking. They said to allow 45 minutes each way.

Let me know as soon as possible if you're interested in sharing the ride. I'm still kicking around renting a car because I think $160 is expensive but would be willing to pay $100 if you are interested in going.

Kelly

This is just my unsolicited opinion :-) but I think that you will find that 7 hours is WAY too long to spend in Freeport. There is a website at freeportusa.com that lists the stores -- other than LLBean, most of the stores are smaller than other outlet stores that I have been to (like in Kittery, ME). If you are an outlet store lover like me, I think you may be disappointed with your $100 excursion. Jmho.

LL Bean Tip:

If you live in a state that doesn't charge sales tax, have your items shipped home and you won't have to pay the Maine State tax on your purchase. If you have an LL Bean VISA, the shipping (and monogramming) is free.

I agree I couldn't spend 7-8 hours in Freeport, but if we include a sit down lunch, ice cream at Ben & Jerry's, and poke around and I could easily do 5 or 6.

Be sure to go into The Mangy Moose store. Lots of nice (and different) Maine items. There is a really good candy store close by too. and Big Dogs clothing store (and lots more)

Sue - I never thought of that one ... about the shipping ... very interesting, I'll have to remeber it for when I go visiting other states!!!

If one doesn't have an LL Bean card the shipping would cost could end up being more than the sales tax (tax is 5%) and remember all sales tax spent in the state of Maine is used to help us defray costs and to keep the state being the wonderful place that it is.

I was in Mangy Moose the other day and got DH a really nice tee-shirt (better yet, it was on sale).

Kelj - that seems way too expensive to go to Freeport, I hope you can find tsomething for a lot less money ... good luck.

Too all - enjoy your visit! Jan

LL Bean Tip:

If you live in a state that doesn't charge sales tax, have your items shipped home and you won't have to pay the Maine State tax on your purchase. If you have an LL Bean VISA, the shipping (and monogramming) is free.

I agree I couldn't spend 7-8 hours in Freeport, but if we include a sit down lunch, ice cream at Ben & Jerry's, and poke around and I could easily do 5 or 6.

Be sure to go into The Mangy Moose store. Lots of nice (and different) Maine items. There is a really good candy store close by too. and Big Dogs clothing store (and lots more)

Thanks for the shopping suggestions. We have cut our trip down to six hours.

I have an LL Bean Visa, but the bad thing is that they're switching from Bank of America to another bank. This is the email I just got. It says I have to reapply starting on July 1st. We leave for this cruise on July 3rd, so I won't have an LL Bean Visa while we're at LL Bean.:mad: EDIT: Maybe I can reapply at the store and then have the items shipped.

IMPORTANT NOTICE about Changes to Your L.L.Bean Visa Card

spacer.gifI'd like to thank you for your loyalty as an L.L.Bean® Visa® Cardmember and to inform you of upcoming changes to the L.L.Bean Visa Card.*

L.L.Bean has decided to partner with a new card issuer to bring you the NEW L.L.Bean Visa Card, beginning on July 1, 2008.

I want to assure you that all of the L.L.Bean benefits you enjoy today will be available with the NEW L.L.Bean Visa Card. This card also provides a valuable new benefit: Free Return Shipping.

The new L.L.Bean Visa Card will be available July 1, 2008. You will need to apply for your new card on or around July 1, 2008.**

How will these changes affect you?

You will continue to receive Free Shipping and Free Monogramming on L.L.Bean orders placed through June 30, 2008, with your current L.L.Bean Visa Card.

You will also continue to earn Coupon Dollars on eligible transactions during this time.

For every 10 L.L.Bean Coupon Dollars your account earns through June 30, 2008, Bank of America will send you a $10 L.L.Bean Coupon.

L.L.Bean will send you a full $10 Coupon to satisfy any remaining balance of Coupon Dollars. This Coupon will arrive with your invitation to apply for the new L.L.Bean Visa Card on July 1, 2008.

Any L.L.Bean Coupon issued to you will remain valid until its stated expiration date.

As of July 1, 2008, the only way to continue to receive L.L.Bean benefits is with the NEW L.L.Bean Visa Card.

For more information about the new L.L.Bean Visa Card and this transition period, visit us anytime at llbean.com.

Sincerely,

sig.gif

Shawn O. Gorman

Vice President, Card Services

L.L.Bean

Remember, the new L.L.Bean Visa Card is the only way to continue to receive L.L.Bean benefits. Your $10 Coupon will arrive in the mail with your invitation to apply for the new L.L.Bean Visa Card on July 1, 2008.

Sue - I never thought of that one ... about the shipping ... very interesting, I'll have to remeber it for when I go visiting other states!!!

If one doesn't have an LL Bean card the shipping would cost could end up being more than the sales tax (tax is 5%) and remember all sales tax spent in the state of Maine is used to help us defray costs and to keep the state being the wonderful place that it is.

I was in Mangy Moose the other day and got DH a really nice tee-shirt (better yet, it was on sale).

Kelj - that seems way too expensive to go to Freeport, I hope you can find tsomething for a lot less money ... good luck.

Too all - enjoy your visit! Jan

Jan, we have found 12 people interested in using Mermaid Transportation, so it comes out to less than $17 per person. I'm happy with that, as I didn't really want to mess with renting a car. Thanks for your suggestions.:)

• 4 weeks later...

I wouold get yuor LL card now and shop to you drop. i find with 3 Ll stores in one town it takes me about 2 to three hours to hit them all. i ship from there all the time.

for lunch there are great lobstra rolls to eat. alos yuo could stop in Yarmouth for lunch too. I like freeport but after 2 hours or so i am so done.

spend the 100-it is only money and yuo live only once

I wouold get yuor LL card now and shop to you drop. i find with 3 Ll stores in one town it takes me about 2 to three hours to hit them all. i ship from there all the time.

for lunch there are great lobstra rolls to eat. alos yuo could stop in Yarmouth for lunch too. I like freeport but after 2 hours or so i am so done.

spend the 100-it is only money and yuo live only once

You can't even apply for the new LL Bean cards until tomorrow, July 1st. We leave Thursday, July 3rd.

As far as the $100, if you were replying to me, if you read further you'll see that we're now going for $16 per person.

I will be calling tomorrow to gert my new card. I must of missed that post sorry.

i am sure you can get one at the store. there is a huge customer service area on the left as you come in.

Archived