Flying into San Diego - What Side of the Plane

jbhcw

We leave Wednesday on Southwest for our long awaited cruise on the Oosterdam Saturday:D I've flown into San Diego many many times over the past 30 some years, it's my old home town.

But..... just not sure..... if we want a good view of the port, the Zaandam will be there on Wednesday.... on what side of the plane do we need to sit to get the best view coming in??? I'm thinking the right side as you walk into the plane looking toward the back?

Thanks anyone who can tell me for sure:) :)

Thanks Ross and Norcal!! I can remember driving around the airport in the sixties and you can almost see the whites of the passengers eyes the planes were that close coming in:eek:

For some reason I keep wanting to think it's going to land the other way, coming from the downtown area. It's been a long time since I have been able to get dh to fly so want him to have a good view:)

You are correct. You will need to sit on the right side of the plane as you are walking in looking towards the back. It would be the left side of the plane if you were looking towards the front. Also if you are driving out of the airport on Pacific Hwy towards the 5 freeway, you will see the boats docked to your right. Its really nice when they are lit up at night.

And likewise when taking off, to get one last glance. :confused:

Most airports will occasionally switch the traffic direction if wind conditions dictate. Does S.D. do this, or do they always go east-to-west?

Most airports will occasionally switch the traffic direction if wind conditions dictate. Does S.D. do this, or do they always go east-to-west?

San Diego will use runway 9 or land to the east if the wind is blowing from the east. Aircraft like to land into the wind as it slows the relative speed of the aircraft hitting the pavement.

Sand Diego will switch to Runway 9 when the wind is blowing from the desert. In LA/Orange County, such winds are called a "Santa Ana" Wind Condition. Not sure if San Diego uses the same term. It is a hot, dry and fast blowing wind. Its miserable. The airports all change their runway directions as to land from the west to the east (or in the case of Orange Co. Airport Rwy 1 south to north) to take advantage of the wind.

Rick

Almost always the planes take off and land in San Diego land east to west. They only land or take off west to east in strong Santa Ana winds.

Sorry Rick - you win. I have landed once coming in from the west. It's a littling frightening - not that east to west isn't, but it just feels wrong.

Not only will you see the ships if you sit on the port side of the sirplane but youy will also get a GREAT view of downtown feeling like some of the buildings are higher than the plane. We were just there three weeks ago and we landed East to West.

Almost always the planes take off and land in San Diego land east to west. They only land or take off west to east in strong Santa Ana winds.

Sorry Rick - you win. I have landed once coming in from the west. It's a littling frightening - not that east to west isn't, but it just feels wrong.

Agree with everyone else to site on the left or port side of the aircraft landing in San Diego. I've flown in there many, many times. Normally the aircraft land east to west. When you land make sure to wave at the folks in the buildings since you are their level. If you end up on the right or starboard side, you will have a nice view of the park.

The only time I ever landed west to east was in a Coast Guard helicopter. We were on a "trainer" and shot an instrument approach to Lindberg. Kinda strange coming in over Pt Loma.

John

Cool pics. I don't like flying into San Diego because it feels like you just drop right out of the sky onto the runway:eek:!

That is the sense I have but oddly, to me at least, it seems like the landing is a lot quicker there. Like they dive into the airport! LOL

We have flown into San Diego quite a few times.

We have always flown in east - to west.

We really never worry about what side we sit on as we fly in 2 - 4 days early and many times there isn;t a ship in port on the day we arrive.

But -- east to west -- left side of plane.

As for flying out -- again we don't worry about it as our flights are very early in the morning -- a day or 2 after the cruise --- and again -- most times -- no ship in port.

Great pictures John, thanks so much for posting, better not show them to DH though:eek:

Thanks for all the info everyone, Port side, Port side:D :D the Zaandam will be there Wednesday when we fly in. I'm ready to leave NOW:D

Great pictures John, thanks so much for posting, better not show them to DH though:eek:

Thanks for all the info everyone, Port side, Port side:D :D the Zaandam will be there Wednesday when we fly in. I'm ready to leave NOW:D

Have a nice flight and great cruise!:)

After reading this thread, I changed my seat accordingly. Then I remembered I am flying int LAX and taking the train down to San Diego. It was a much cheaper fare - including Amtrak and shuttle between LAX and Union station. Any suggestions as to proper side of the train?

After reading this thread, I changed my seat accordingly. Then I remembered I am flying int LAX and taking the train down to San Diego. It was a much cheaper fare - including Amtrak and shuttle between LAX and Union station. Any suggestions as to proper side of the train?

Until you make the turn after San Juan Capistrano, roughly the midway point, it is all pretty much city...after that you cruise( a little pun intended) next to the water...so I would say the right side as you face forward.

Tayo and Kristy

Archived