Getting back to Vancouver from Anchorage, what's the best cheapest way?

A Sixth?

Anyone who takes a 7-day cruise has to do this. The only practical way to/from Anchorage is by air. (A road trip takes many days, although it is an adventure I plan to do someday).

Look into an "open jaw" ticket. Many airline and ticket websites do this with the "multi-city" option. An open jaw is Home-Vancouver, then ANC-Home. There is no need to return to Vancouver, you can fly home from Anchorage. If home is in Canada, then the Anchorage flight will be expensive since it's international. One possibility is to fly to Vancouver on a roundtrip domestic Canadian flight, then fly from ANC-Seattle on a domestic US flight. Then you would have to travel by train or shuttle bus from Seattle-Vancouver and fly home from Vancouver on the return half of the roundtrip. I'm not sure if the savings will offset the cost of ground transportation and extra time this will take.

Hope this helps!

I agree with Kenish that we can't really give you a proper answer to your question without more information.

However, in general, I should tell you that there is NO direct flight from Anchorage to Vancouver. All flights to the lower 48 fly to either Seattle or Portland. From there, you would need to make your way up to Vancouver.

As you did not say where your home is, you may or may not need to end up in Vancouver, even though that is where your cruise departs.

Sorry, but can't help you further.....

However, in general, I should tell you that there is NO direct flight from Anchorage to Vancouver. All flights to the lower 48 fly to either Seattle or Portland. From there, you would need to make your way up to Vancouver.

That's incorrect. Air Canada offers a nonstop from Anchorage to Vancouver.

According to kayak.com

Air Canada, Flight 537

Departs: 2:05p Anchorage (ANC)

Arrives: 6:18p Vancouver Intl (YVR) (non-stop)

Current fare in June is $281 (USA) one way. Also code-sharing with United flight 8103.

Yes, air flight back. That's what was obvious... guess I was wondering if there was another way, but looking at the google map distance, bus or car... forget about it.... and train... nobody takes the train anymore:rolleyes:

Heck, for another couple of hundred over the cost of air back, I could just take an interior and cruise the reverse route. :-)

Is there any one who's booked the return to Vancouver with Princess? Maybe they have a deal?

There is no train service between ANC and YVR, the Alaska RR goes between Seward/Whittier, ANC, Denali, and Fairbanks. The White Pass RR does go to BC and the Yukon from Skagway but no farther. :)

The Air Canada flight looks good as far as fare and the $281 someone posted. You might check which is cheaper: Montreal-YVR roundtrip plus ANC-YVR, or a Montreal-YVR // ANC-YVR // YVR-Montreal multicity fare. (The double slash means a stopover and not a connection).

Yes, air flight back. That's what was obvious... guess I was wondering if there was another way, but looking at the google map distance, bus or car... forget about it.... and train... nobody takes the train anymore:rolleyes:

Heck, for another couple of hundred over the cost of air back, I could just take an interior and cruise the reverse route. :-)

Is there any one who's booked the return to Vancouver with Princess? Maybe they have a deal?

There are some very good prices on Princess cruises right now. However, if you're cruising north on Princess, you might want to consider a different cruise line going south to see different ports and glaciers.

There is no train service between ANC and YVR, the Alaska RR goes between Seward/Whittier, ANC, Denali, and Fairbanks. The White Pass RR does go to BC and the Yukon from Skagway but no farther. :)

The Air Canada flight looks good as far as fare and the $281 someone posted. You might check which is cheaper: Montreal-YVR roundtrip plus ANC-YVR, or a Montreal-YVR // ANC-YVR // YVR-Montreal multicity fare. (The double slash means a stopover and not a connection).

Air Canada is booking great deals right now until Feb 12th. However, it looks like WestJet is beating those fares. If you have family in Vancouver, they might like to pick you up in Bellingham and it might be cheaper than flying into Vancouver. We've flown into Bellingham a few times for almost the same price as going into Seattle.

Viv

There are some very good prices on Princess cruises right now. However, if you're cruising north on Princess, you might want to consider a different cruise line going south to see different ports and glaciers.

That's what we did! It was cheaper to take a northbound cruise and spend some time in Alaska, and then take a southbound cruise on a different line. You get two cruises and only need R/T air to Vancouver.

We turned a 7 day cruise into a 23 day vacation for the same price as a 12 day cruise tour. I like Celebrity one way and Holland America the other. One does Hubbard Glacier and the other Glacier Bay.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Air Canada is booking great deals right now until Feb 12th. However, it looks like WestJet is beating those fares. If you have family in Vancouver, they might like to pick you up in Bellingham and it might be cheaper than flying into Vancouver. We've flown into Bellingham a few times for almost the same price as going into Seattle.

Viv

Not a bad idea, two cruise lines..... one up one down.... I have the time my wife doesn't at this point but I'm checking it out. :)

Looking at summer schedules;

AC fly ANC-YVR direct

Also 8 airlines serve 11 other destinations in the lower 48 (excluding WA/OR);

AS fly ANC-ORD, ANC-SFO, ANC-LAX

CO fly ANC-IAH

DL fly ANC-ATL, ANC-SLC

NW fly ANC-DTW, ANC-MSP

AA fly ANC-DFW

F9 fly ANC-DEN

US/HP fly ANC-PHX

SY fly ANC-MSP

Archived