Gluten free

Cruisegirl6

Hello, I need to be both gluten and dairy free, putting the dairy free aside, have any of you with this dietary need has gotten any special desserts in the main dining room and in the specialty restaurants that were gluten free? Just curious whether they provide desserts for those who can't have gluten.

In the main dining room, do they have any shebert (sherbet generally is gluten free)?

I read that the pizzeria makes gluten free pizza, but are there gluten free items in the international cafe as well do they have gluten free pastries, cookies, etc in the horizon court buffet?

My friend just got off her first Princess cruise since coming down with Celiac disease and she said she couldn't have imagined a more special dining experience. She had her choice of ANYTHING on the menus each night and that included dessert. Menus for nights past night 1 are given to u the night before to decide on what u would like to have. Even with that they will make special 'to order' items like pasta, fish & chips, and even baked Alaska (when offered). She had gluten free macarroons at International Cafe one night and pizza in Alfredo's as well. Fresh bread each night too. Trust me....u will b pampered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had 15 days of special meals.

PCL is awesome about accommodating (sp?) dietary needs.

I was able to fend for myself if I ate breakfast in the buffet, but the rest of my meals were chosen the day before in the MDR.

I did inform PCL beforehand, and when I got to the dining room the first night, I informed the head waiter.

Several times, my dessert was specially made for me by his wife who was a pastry chef.

Pat

Edited by sassyredhat

In the main dining room, do they have any shebert (sherbet generally is gluten free)?

They have sorbet every night at dinner, which is dairy free. Sherbet generally has some dairy.

I am Celiac with both the Gluten and Dairy restrictions.. I cruise very often and have found that some ships are better than others with regard to desserts. I rarely have them at home, so never expect much. We recently cruised on the Ruby and the Coral. The Ruby was about what I expected..mixed berries and sorbet.. The Coral had an amazing pastry chef who was inventive and made various tortes, cookies, brûlées and other surprises using meranges and chocolate..wonderful desserts...all Dairy and Gluten Free.. I had to tell them to STOP! :eek: could't take any more..

I think more and more chef's are trying to come up with interesting options for guests with allergies. :D

:)Princess does a great job for those of us with Celiac disease. You can have pizza but have to order it 24 hours ahead of time.

Every day in the Horizon Court there is 1 gluten free desert; same in the International cafe.

I'd love pizza, but haven't much luck.. Crust is either like cardboard or a tasteless biscuit .. and since I can't have cheese.. it's not worth the calories.. I did find one ship that made wonderful crepes with GF flour and used soy milk..they were really good!! Oh my, now I'm getting hungry.. Leaving on the Golden this weekend..I'll see what their pastry chef can do of me.. :D

I am Celiac and I have found in general Princess is excellent. It does vary by ship and depends on the Chef's knowledge of Celiac and cooking gluten free. I have never had a bad reaction though. Your best luck, to be sure you are safe for breakfast and lunch, is to eat in the diningroom whenever possible. You again preorder the night before. If you don't feel like the next day, no biggie. I have even given them a recipe for pancakes which they attempted to make, even though they were missing an ingredient. We are hoping to do princess again this summer! Looking forward to it. It's awesome to have somebody else cook for you!! Enjoy!!

Thanks for all the great info! I'll be on the Golden on the 14th. Now I'm getting really excited and hungry :) A few years ago I did a Carnival cruise and they did an awesome job with gluten free options. So happy to hear Princess will be the same!

• 5 months later...

I am also celiac and had a great experience in the main dining room on the Ruby earlier this year, along with wonderful desserts. The salads at the International Cafe were gluten free and very good.The pizza on the pool deck was the only disappointment. The crust was thick, dry and tasteless.

I am hoping Alfredo's on the Regal will be able to make a good GF pizza and also hoping the pub lunch will do GF fish and chips if I give them enough notice. I only wish they had GF beer available at the various bars.

Just off 10 days on the CB and I had a wonderful experience with the MDR desserts. My dietary restrictions were no gluten and no MSG. Most nights, they would have something special and "off-menu." I think the single best dessert I had was an orange flan, but they also had a blueberry custard, a strawberry cake (which was a little too sweet for my taste), and lots of other things I can't even remember. I tried a gluten-free pumpkin pie at the buffet and it was hideous!!! :eek:

:)Princess does a great job for those of us with Celiac disease. You can have pizza but have to order it 24 hours ahead of time.

Every day in the Horizon Court there is 1 gluten free desert; same in the International cafe.

I'd heard that the gluten-free pizza required a 24-hour advance order, but that wasn't my experience on the CB this past week. I asked for it, and the pizza chef said, "10 minutes." And sure enough, delicious pizza 10 minutes later! :D