Katrina Hitting Dade and Broward Counties Now .....

sail7seas

Ft Lauderdale and vacinity area - and hopefully not the west coast - hope you all are doing well. From the other boards I know several of you and hope you are all hunkered down.

We just heard on the news that Katina is a hurricane and is about 7 miles north of Ft Lauderdale and about 20 miles south of Boca Raton.

Stay safe everyone - our prayers are for all you Floridians.

Don't know but Port Everglades just had a wind gust to 92 MPH. I would think unless unexpected damages occur they should be on schedule. I know Carnival is expecting to have ships into and out of the Port of Miami on Saturday.

I know when last year's hurricanes hit Port canaveral, it was closed for a week - they had to dredge it.

I was hoping someone had got an e-mail from people on the ship to find out what the seas where right now or if they we going to get an extra day at sea.

My son and his wife are out at sea now.

Has anyone heard if the Zuiderdam which is out to sea now, will be able to come into Port Everglades on Saturday?

Are they getting an extra day at sea?

According to the latest news both Port Everglades and the Port of Miami are closed to incoming cruise ships. The cruise lines that have been effected by the closure are expecting there ships to return to port on Saturday. At this time HAL is not reporting any changes.

From the looks of the storm and the fact it was only a minimal hurricane I would think that the ports will be open in time for the ships to return on Saturday, which of course was Zuiderdam's normal schedule.

Advisories

Tropical Storm Katrina Update

Tropical Storm Katrina Update - Thursday , August 25, 2005, 9:00am PDT A tropical storm, Katrina, is developing in the Central Bahamas area. The storm is expected to make landfall in Florida on Friday, August 26, 2005. Holland America Line is closely monitoring the storm. The ms Zuiderdam, the only Holland America vessel in the region, is currently sailing far from the impacts of the storm.

The ms Zuiderdam is expected to arrive Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) as scheduled on Saturday, August 27 at 8:00am.

The August 27th sailing is scheduled to depart at 5:00pm and the itinerary is unchanged.

This page will be updated as needed.

All other Holland America Line ships are operating as scheduled. Guests traveling from Florida to meet other Holland America Line sailings, should contact their air carriers for updates.

At Holland America Line, the safety and comfort of our guests are our top priorities.

FLL Airport and Port Everglades are both closed. When each will reopen and business back to normal remains an unknown until the storm ends and damage is evaluated.

Hopefully, anyone/everyone currently on Zuiderdam and those expecting to board on Saturday can get to FLL safely and board on time. Good luck.

Things are a little breezy in the north end of Palm Beach County. Hurricane warnings called off north of the Jupiter Inlet.

Last I heard, the hurricane made landfall somewhere south of Fort Lauderdale, near the Miami-Dade line ... between Hallandale Beach and North Miami Beach.

My older DD lives in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea and at about 5 p.m. she said there was a partylike atmosphere in some of the bars down by the beach! :eek:

A lot of people decided that since it was a Cat 1, there was nothing to worry about.

The storm caught a lot of the party-goers by surprise and as a result more harm was done than was necessary. It never ceases to amaze me how some people just don't heed the warnings of the authorities and go about their normal business as usual.

The storm went southward, more into Miami-Dade and surprised a lot of people. As much as they warn us the track is not always dead-on, people expect it will hit exactly at the point they believe it will.

FLL and PBI airports are both open and operating today, but they're not sure what will happen with MIA.

The storm's shift was good news for those of us in West Palm and above; not so good for those further South.

But this storm in general is a much bigger threat now to the poor folks in the panhandle who have really gotten more than their fare share of hurricanes over the past couple of years. So I know we all are keeping a good thought for all of you in that area and we'll keep you all in our prayers and thoughts.

Good to hear you are safe, Heather, and have 'weathered the storm'.

Hopefully, all of our Florida friends will be fine.

Good wishes going out to those who may still be impacted by Katrina.

Things are back to usual today in the northern part of Palm Beach County and northwards nto Martin Co.

It's unfortunate some people did not heed the warnings down in Broward and Miami-Dade counties. A Cat 1 storm is still dangerous. Even if the winds aren't strong, there are still downed powerlines and flooding. A deadly mixture.

Today I saw on the news a shot of a semi that almost got blown off an overpass by the winds.

What was the truck doing out in a hurricane?!!! :eek:

This a.m. driving I-95 was a breeze. :p Seems like a lot of people stayed home and took a long weekend.

And I actually needed my sunglasses!

A "Katrina" that just keeps on giving, huh??

A lovely breath of fresh air!!:D Enjoy!!

---------------------------------

OOPS! I only looked at the 1st 40 of your pics when I first posted. After I posted, the rest of your images had loaded--much to my surprise! Before I just saw baby Katrina's pics. SORRY about the damage. Best wishes on the child!

KATRINA UPDATE 1130 Friday, Aug. 26

August 26, 2005

By order of the U.S. Coast Guard, Port Everglades is closed to ship traffic until a storm assessment is made. Power is out throughout much of the port at this time. Petroleum deliveries will continue once power is restored. Entry into the Port is limited to the Spangler Road (SR 84) entrance. Only people with the emergency designation on their Port I.D. badges will be allowed into the port.

All Port Public Works employees were expected in by 10 a.m. for strom recovery. Dayshift harbormasters and linehandlers were expected in by 11 a.m. All other Port Department personnel should check with their supervisors.

Cruise passengers should call their cruise lines for updated schedule changes. Contact cargo lines for shipping information and deliveries.

Updated storm information is available as follows:

Call 954-523-3404 for recorded information on the main Port Everglades phone line

Updates are posted on the Port Everglades web site at http://www.broward.org/port "BREAKING NEWS"

Broward County Hurricane Hotline 954-831-4000

Ayalong, I know how horrible that feels. Such magnificent trees down. Looks like one was a beautiful banyan ... just can't replace those. And I can't believe that one ripped up the sidewalk!!!

We went through this last year and thought it would never be the same, but somehow it all comes together and everything gets patched up. As long as you're okay and safe, that's what's important.

Beautiful baby!:)

HeatherInFloridaAyalong, I know how horrible that feels. Such magnificent trees down. Looks like one was a beautiful banyan ... just can't replace those. And I can't believe that one ripped up the sidewalk!!!

We went through this last year and thought it would never be the same, but somehow it all comes together and everything gets patched up. As long as you're okay and safe, that's what's important.

Beautiful baby!:)

thanks!

i know last year we were ok we were told to leave but it never came!

the big tree over the black mini van is my friends its gone, but its ok all are ok thats all that is important!

KATRINA UPDATE 1450 Friday, Aug. 26

August 26, 2005

Port Everglades is now open for ship traffic based on U.S. Coast Guard restrictions of ships with up to a 28-foot draft during daylight hours only. Power continues to be down throughout much of the port at this time. Petroleum deliveries will continue once power is restored. FPL repair crews are currently on the scene. U.S. Customs and Border Protection has temporarily relocated until power is restored at the port. Customs and Border Protection can be reached temporarily at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and at 954-356-7788.

Cruise passengers should call their cruise lines for updated schedule changes. Contact cargo lines for shipping information and deliveries.

Updated storm information is available as follows:

Call 954-523-3404 for recorded information on the main Port Everglades phone line

Updates are posted on the Port Everglades web site at http://www.broward.org/port "BREAKING NEWS"

Broward County Hurricane Hotline 954-831-4000

Ayalond - thanks for the photos - I feel your pain. We got hit twice last year and like you, it looks like a war zone. They are saying 4 people died when trees fell on them- our prayers go out to their friends and families. Glad you are ok - just a mess to clean up. We are north of you in Jensen Beach/Martin County - had wind and rain but no problems - and the power stayed on so we are happy to have the a/c! DH is not so crazy about all this hurricane stuff - says if more happen this year, he is ready to move........perhaps to St. Simon's Island or up Savannah way..........they don't seem to get hit like we do. So, we will pray for NO more hurricanes and no move for us! :D Glad everyone out there in CC land came through ok! Cindie

Bruce - Thanks for the input. Weather discussions for the Atlantic say there are two more waves out behind Katrina that have cyclonic motion - one should be a storm by tomorrow. They are lining up line a conga line.

Looks like now Zuiderman is coming into the port, but The cruise line isn't sure.

Archived