Will you still cruise during hurricane season?

ckrobyn

Will you still cruise during hurricane season?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Will you still cruise during hurricane season?

• Yes I will
    • I only cruise during hurricane season
    • I'll think twice next time
    • Never again

As we all know, this has been a particularly bad hurricane season. My thoughts and prayers are with the folks in New Orleans and now with the folks in Texas.

As a result of the hurricanes experienced this year - will you still book cruises during hurricane season?

I don't hesitate to cruise during this time of year, but only because cruises are rarely totally cancelled due to hurricanes. I don't mind having my itinerary changed due to a storm, but I would be upset if my vacation was cancelled altogether after looking forward to it for so long!

We've sailed every hurricane season since we started cruising, and we've always been blessed so far. My husband's parents, however, were taking only their second cruise ever this years, and their Carnival Elation cruise was cancelled after Katrina hit. My MIL is a fearful person anyway, so I know she'll never consider traveling in hurricane season.

The prices are great this time of year, and there's always options, no matter what happens, so we just keeping booking those cruises.

As we all know, this has been a particularly bad hurricane season. My thoughts and prayers are with the folks in New Orleans and now with the folks in Texas.

As a result of the hurricanes experienced this year - will you still book cruises during hurricane season?

Sad to say, this is exactly why we cruise in January. It's just too iffy for me. Read in the paper today Rhapsody (the ship we will be going on in January) is docked in Jamica waiting this hurricane out. People can fly home from Jamica or stay on the ship til it can get back. I just wonder about all their cars parked in Galveston....

..I also cruised during Mitch. I got teased 'cause that is my name. It was

an Eastern Itinerary, and they switched the order of ports. Other than that

everything went well, and weather was great 5 out of 7 days. Have not booked yet, but intend to cruise October 06 (OK, it's the Mexican Riviera, so

Hurricane much less likely..)

Some great deals during Hurricane Season......I would not hesitate.

Mitch

Wouldn't mind being stuck on the ship extra days as long as the Hurricane wasn't hitting my home! I would be concerned about my vehicle being parked at the port..maybe should rent a car instead of taking my own, then if it hits that port you can go home from wherever they bring you :) And the cost of the rental would be somewhat offset by parking fees at the port.

In a word:yes. I am going on the Majesty on Monday. Last September, I had to reschedule my Mariner cruise for April due to Hurricane Jeanne. No big deal. As long as you are flexible and realize that your itinerary may be changed a little or you very well may have to rebook, I say go for it. The only time I would NEVER cruise is Dec-early March. That is bc I live in northeast PA and we get BAD snowstorms. For me personally,I feel it's more of a risk to go in the winter then in hurricane season. If there is a hurricane, it's going to affect everyone on the ship and they will accomodate you somewhat with letting you rebook, shipboard credit, ship leaving later etc.. If there is a snowstorm in PA and the flights are grounded or delayed, it affects a much smaller portion of passengers. Will they let me rebook then or hold the ship till I arrive-I doubt it. I usually can't go down a day earlier(although I am this time,but that's only bc it's a 4 night cruise), so for me hurricane season is a safer bet than the winter.

Prices are great in Sept., but with the way things are going this storm season, it's getting too hectic for me-

I was supposed to cruise last week, but storms changed everything-my DM always cruises with me and my DH and kids, but the storms totally freaked her out so we are re-booking for April or June 06-less stress, and not as much need to monitor the weather channel web site every five seconds-

NO, I think I'm done with Aug/Sept/Oct bookings for a while

Quote: As a result of the hurricanes experienced this year - will you still book cruises during hurricane season?

I have and I will. As long as I can get to the departure port, and am flexible in arriving as early as required, I don't mind at all. The prices are low and kids are back at school.

I may need a year to recooperate. My August cruise was cancelled because of Katrina and I was evacuated out of Cancun in July becauseof Emily. I got a double dose this year. In a way I was past due because this is the time of the year that I like to cruise (b-day/lower prices). However, next year I may opt for something different. Don't know yet. Have to wait and see what next year brings.:confused:

May God protect the people of the Gulf throughout this Rita ordeal.

We have been cruising for the past 7yrs in Sept.to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. Tomorrow, We sail out on the "Voyager". Have to admit, We are both uneasy with all these hurricaines about. Have sailed 49 cruises and Thank God, have had no real problems. There were hurricaines but the Capt. was always able to avoid them and take another route. Maybe I am getting too old but We decided after this Cruise, We won't push our luck. We will go in Dec. instead. We Cruise a few times a year and since Hubby is retired, We can really cruise anytime. So thats what We plan to do.

The last couple of years have been pretty bad.I don't cruise during hurricane season because I pick my itineraries very carefully and don't want to take the chance although I have considered it because the prices are so tempting.I'm also worried about rough waters and bad weather.

i traveled to South Beach last summer and was evacuated becuase of Francis. There were heard that there we no more flights out so we took amtrak from FL to Newark, NJ. We had insurance for that land based trip so we were reimbursed but 36 hours on a very croweded train is horrible.

At least on a cruise, you can wait it out on a tropical island or at sea, not in a stinking (literally, no showers) amtrak train that ran out of food halfway through the trip.

I would travel during hurricane season. Now, i am not sure i would leave out of a port down there though. Might think twice about that one.

This is our third cruise, and they've all been in July to September. We're doing the Western Caribbean tomorrow for 9 days. So far, we've been lucky. But, I am prepared to go to ports other than those we expect. In a way, it's an adventure!

I just hope that the people in Texas are safe!!

I've cruised during three hurricanes but only one - last year, Francis - caused us to stay out two extra days. We were in no danger but the back and forth of what would happen, where we would dock, etc. was frustrating. In the end, we had a longer vacation. Not so horrible. This year, we cruised out and around Ophelia. Bad weather, nothing else. It is an iffy time of year, but the rates are hard to resist.

Since then we may book at the end of the season, October or November. Any sooner, no way!

My first hurricane experience was on a cruise out of Miami in the middle of November. We were delayed in leaving Miami because they were being hit with the first hurricane to hit the city that whole year!

....wow, it's hard to imagine that there used to be years when there were no actual hurricanes to speak of :(

We always cruised in Oct. to celebrate our anniversary. Other than a TD in the Gulf on our 1st cruise we never had a problem.

I am cruising in a few days with my parents and keeping my fingers crossed. We are supposed to be in Key West on Tues. not sure if we will be able to or not.

For me the prices are just to low not to book, living in Fl. I have a better chance of making it to the port. So yes, I guess I will continue to book during Hurricane season. In fact I am already booked for next year, Oct. 31st.:D

I like cruising during hurricane season because it seems the worst thing that happens is your vacation can get shortened a day or two (but then again - some get longer by a day or two). If you book a land vacation any time during hurricane season along the coast or islands - you are either evacuated or wind up sitting on a highway trying to get out and your entire vacation is ruined. The ships stay out at sea and far away from the storms. Sometimes it can get rocky on the waters but you are on the ocean and not in a lake. We've had itinerary changes on a few of our cruises but nothing to complain about. All but one of the past 7 cruises I was on was during Sept - Oct. The other was in Feb and believe it or not the caribbean was quite chilly.

Archived