Right to be upset?

JonAlone

I returned yesterday after an 11 day Eastern Med cruise on Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas.

Most of the shows were pre-dinner for late sitting, so it seemed pointless going.. I like to dine, then see a show, perhaps a few drinks and chat, perhaps visit the night-club and retire around 2am.

The one show I did see was the Royal Caribbean showtime special with Broadway songs from the 1950s.

One song called "Be a man" referred to had the line "Don't be a ******" as part of the introduction... I thought this had gone out with the 'N' word, the 'C' word and words begining with W, C, D, C, Q, and several others related to colour of skin and nationality...

(they even bleeped out the word on this message above.... this proves my point I think.... same F word mis-spelled below for clarification)

Gay, 50, travelling with similar minded friends I was embarrassed for all concerned especially the obviously gay fagotts in the show troupe!!

Was I right to feel uncomfortable and insulted???

Answers on a pink postcard to...:o

Of course you should be offended. In the same circumstances I would have given very poor reviews to the entertainment staff, especially the cruise director. My suggestion: take your money elsewhere. I'm sure there are other cruiselines where such things do no happen as a part of an official shipboard performance or activity. As you can tell from my signature, I do have a favorite cruiseline, but I'm sure there are others that are safe environments for gay cruisers on a mainstream cruise.

Don't ever ask youself if you have a right to feel insulted - right after you've been insulted. If you ask yourself the questions, you already have the answer.

I assume you should have been offended, but it is so obviously not acceptable, I wonder if the song was intended to have the opposite message. Was the point of the song some macho bravado what was intended to come across as ludicrous or rediculous? Context is important. By all means express your views to the cruise line management.

You should have been offended just like a african-american would have been if they used the N word or any other slang insult. I would have filled out my comment sheet accordingly and perhaps sent a message to RCI as well.

I have found the Princess to be a lot friendlier to GLBT than the RCI. The Princess Pater had daily notices of a GLBT (not FOD) gatherings at 5:00 sponsored by the Princess with the assistant cruise director. Free alcohol was offered.

I have found the attitude in general on the RCI ships to be not all that friendly. They "allow" pax to post meetings such as FOD on their bulletin board at Guest Relations. It is my understanding that FOD must be used and not GLBT but I have never tried it. This is a guest initiated meeting only. I did notice that although they say they do not allow meetings to be posted in the Compass, Friends of Bill (AA) meetings are posted every day.

I would still be sailing on Princess if they had not taken the Grand Princess out of Galveston. I like to be able to drive to the port.

Be offended. Be very offended.

That F word should be classified with another (in)famous F word - never to be heard in public!

You need to let the home office know your displeasure!

I'm surprised there weren't any BOOs when it happened.

Are you sure it was that F word? The song lyric uses fairy. It's a song called Man from the musical The Full Monty, which is a parody of what men think makes them masculine. Within the context of the musical, it's clear the people being made fun of are men who think their masculinity is defined by externalities. The musical also includes a very positive portrayal of a gay couple, which shows the full spectrum of masculine expression.

If the singer substituted that other F word, I would complain, and I would also be baffled. Without diving too deeply into stereotypes, it's been my experience that the stage on cruise ships is where the biggest Friends of Dorothy gatherings happen.

Without a doubt, you should be offended. You should have been so offended you should have left the show gone gay-ly to the purser's desk and complained.

:eek:

You should now write an honest and open letter to RCI and let them know that you'll also write to the Gay Charters and post comments in gay newsgroups if this is not immediately changed and you are not given a formal apology.

Please take some action with RCI so they can make a positive change.

Were these the lyrics?

Jerry

You're out of work, your pride is missin'

They call you jerk but you don't listen

You haven't got a pot to piss in

But you're a ... man

Your hands are rough, your back is hairy

Your talk is tough, your smell is scary

Here's what you're not - you're not a fairy

No you're a beer-drinking, real live man

And when the beef comes out you do the carvin'

You hate Tom Cruise but you love Lee Marvin ...

As Schplinky pointed out, it is from The Full Monty.

I think I may owe all an apology... perhaps 'Fairy' was used and not "fagott" !!!

There was a sort of Full Monty strip at the end, but this was the in the script preceding the routine, so I am not totally sure now... you have all cast doubts in my mind...

HOWEVER!!! --- I am not sure I am any happier with 'Fairy' than I was with 'fagott' .... and just because it came from a familiar show, it doesn't really make it more acceptable does it?

Neither are terms of endearment unless you frequent the hollyhocks at the bottom of the garden and sprout twinkle dust from your wand... and be sure that I don't!! ( I know cos I tried!!)

(I did put my objections to this kind of reference on my final guest survey form.. but from experience I expect little response)

Jonathan

I think I may owe all an apology... perhaps 'Fairy' was used and not "fagott" !!!

There was a sort of Full Monty strip at the end, but this was the in the script preceding the routine, so I am not totally sure now... you have all cast doubts in my mind...

HOWEVER!!! --- I am not sure I am any happier with 'Fairy' than I was with 'fagott' .... and just because it came from a familiar show, it doesn't really make it more acceptable does it?

Neither are terms of endearment unless you frequent the hollyhocks at the bottom of the garden and sprout twinkle dust from your wand... and be sure that I don't!! ( I know cos I tried!!)

(I did put my objections to this kind of reference on my final guest survey form.. but from experience I expect little response)

Jonathan

I think you should direct your anger to the song writer. It was a Broadway Revue type show. Personally I'd me more offended if they altered the song's lyrics.

Archived