Cigarettes purchased on board

Majika

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if they still sell cigarettes in the gift shops on the Zuiderdam? And if they do would it be less expensive purchasing them in grand cayman or half moon cay? I do know there is a limit regarding the amount of cartons that can be carried back but since we are going with 6 other non smoking adults they can carry one each back for me.

Yes, they do sell cigarettes in the gift shop onboard. They were $19.95 per carton or 2 cartons for $35. I found my cigarettes cheaper in St. Thomas, they were $16.95 per carton and even cheaper in St. Marteen, they were $12.95 per carton.

I am not sure how many you are allowed on the cruise you are going, but on my cruise, I was allowed 5 cartons per person. Between you and me, I brought back 21 cartons!!!!!!!!! but sssshhhhhh, don't tell anyone.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, they do sell cigarettes in the gift shop onboard. They were $19.95 per carton or 2 cartons for $35. I found my cigarettes cheaper in St. Thomas, they were $16.95 per carton and even cheaper in St. Marteen, they were $12.95 per carton.

I am not sure how many you are allowed on the cruise you are going, but on my cruise, I was allowed 5 cartons per person. Between you and me, I brought back 21 cartons!!!!!!!!! but sssshhhhhh, don't tell anyone.

Enjoy your cruise.

Did you happen to notice if they had (cheap, disposable) lighters also? With the new airline security regs going into effect, we won't be able to take lighters from home any more when we travel. Unless I am totally misunderstanding things, not only can you not take lighters, but there is a 4 pack limit pp on the number of matches you can take, too. I cannot remember if there were any matches on our last cruise - perhaps they have them by request?

Since we come and go through FL, will we go through customs? Seems the last time I read the sign, it still said there was a 200 cigarette (1 carton) limit pp on those we could bring home.

Thanks!

Scrumpy

You will go through Customs and Immigration as you disembark from the ship in Port Everglades. As you leave the ship after you claim your luggage, you will hand the Customs Official your declaration and he/she can ask you to open your suitcases etc or can wave you on by. One never knows if their bags will be inspected.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I've always been by-the-book when going through customs. I even got my boots cleaned once when we went into NZ because I wasn't sure I'd done it well enough to meet their standards. Sure enough, they cleaned them up and sprayed them for me - and very pleasantly, since I pulled those boots out myself and made a point to show them.

Scrumpy

A cigarette commerical in my teens asked "Are you smoking more now and enjoying it less?" As I see the prices of cigarettes I am glad to say "I am smoking less now and enjoying it more." Gastric ulsers caused me to quit on June 8, 1992 at 9:40 AM Central Daylight Time.

I can't believe the prices they charge for them today.

Himself

My husband and I are both smokers. When coming back on one of our cruises, we far exceeded the liquor and cigarette allowances. We declared them with customs, they waived the tax, sign our declaration slip and we were on our way, no problems.

Enjoy your cruise.

Your suitcase must have been stuffed 'filled to the brim'. :)

That many cartons must have taken up ALOT of space. :eek:

Also be aware that cigarettes purchased in other countries than the USVI are not always the same taste as US cigarettes. They are made out of country for foreign markets. Only 200 cigs. are allowed from most carib. basin Islands, the USVI being the exception..........jean

PS. the last few ships I have been on (HAL) they didn`t sell lighters in the gift store, and they discontinued matches a couple of years ago :cool:

Correct me if I am wrong but someone told me that it was the butane type lighters that are banned from the airlines and not the 'flick you bic' disposible ones. And cant you pack a bic into your checked luggage still? If that is the case I'm going to have to stock my cruising mates up on matches as well as confiscated cigarettes. We will be travelling to Key West, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman and HMC. I dont know if anyone might have a clue as to the cigarette situation in those places. I did get my DH a 5 carton pack of Marlboros last year in St Maarten for $50, which was a steal. My brand, Newports, where much harder to come by on the islands.

I fly quite often, both business and pleasure, and am a smoker....the only time they "confiscated" my lighter was in San Francisco on a flight home-and it was because I had 3 of them...they left me with 1, which is really all I needed.... I wouldn't be too concerned, unless you're carrying a 12 pack of lighters on you...or in your carry on....

Correct me if I am wrong but someone told me that it was the butane type lighters that are banned from the airlines and not the 'flick you bic' disposible ones.

The TSA are banning all butane lighters in April or May. Matches only on board.

My friends light stopped working on the Zuiderdam. She went to the gift store and was able to purchase a lighter, it was, of course, a Holland America lighter, for I think about $4.00.

I always sail with a large suit case partially empty, so I can fit all those cartons of cigarettes in there.

geez olivia i had the phone in my hand to call my TA and cancel, til i read the bottom of the post. i wonder how many people would not cruise if that were true?? 7 days of good food and booze with no butts...oh my!!

geez olivia i had the phone in my hand to call my TA and cancel, til i read the bottom of the post. i wonder how many people would not cruise if that were true?? 7 days of good food and booze with no butts...oh my!!

Ah, yes, we can hope, can't we?

:) -dave

You can check your butane lighter but you are no longer allowed to have ANY lighter on your person or carry-on through security. Matches are ok in a carry-on. HAL does not sell lighters except for the "novelty type" as doone mentioned above - maybe not even then, depends on the ship & gift shop supply. You will also not be able to get matches on a HAL ship unless one of the staff gives them to you.

HMC does not sell cigarettes that I am aware of... sometimes the ship may be limited to specific brands, and not all are available - but it seems to be a bargain at 2 cartons for $34.95

The sign at the Tampa airport today stated "Effective April 14th, no cigarette lighters will be permitted on board any aircraft." I asked and they said people will have to carry matches. HAL did have $4 lighters for sale in the gift shop, as well as 2 cartons for $36.20. The cartons were about a dollar cheaper in St. Thomas, and they allow 4 cartons from the USVI.

Exactly correct. http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Prohibited_English_4-1-2005_v2.pdf

That is why I was asking about the matches and lighters they might have on the ship :) DH, a non-smoker, flies every single week (UGH!) and the signs are now (finally) up in a lot of the airports. You're not supposed to have matches or lighters in your checked luggage (my uncle collects matches from all over the place, so he'll be bummed; has thousands as they are small, portable and usually free).

Previously, in 2002, I did carry a butane lighter. Security drained the butane and let me keep the lighter itself. That lighter had been through at least 10 airport security checkpoints in and out of the US before anyone caught it, btw. I had forgotten it was even in my purse and didn't use it, but I'd have hated to lose it since it was a keepsake from our travels.

There was a news article about the Zippo conventions and how this might affect attendance. Otherwise, there has not been a great deal of news coverage about the change.

Scrumpy

The sign at the Tampa airport today stated "Effective April 14th, no cigarette lighters will be permitted on board any aircraft." I asked and they said people will have to carry matches. HAL did have $4 lighters for sale in the gift shop, as well as 2 cartons for $36.20. The cartons were about a dollar cheaper in St. Thomas, and they allow 4 cartons from the USVI.

Several years ago, we were going to take a cruise. I believe it was Renaissance, but can't recall. They told me the entire ship was non-smoking and that I couldn't even smoke on our balcony. And, that was the end of the idea of cruising...

Scrumpy

Several years ago, we were going to take a cruise. I believe it was Renaissance, but can't recall. They told me the entire ship was non-smoking and that I couldn't even smoke on our balcony. And, that was the end of the idea of cruising...

Scrumpy

Yes, we dearly loved cruising on Renaissance. And I was a pipe smoker at the time. You could tell the smokers, they gathered at the top of the gangway even before the ship docked!

I'm surprised that there are not other, comparable, non-smoking lines - or are there? They wouldn't get my dime, of course. Having been subjected to finger-wagging from people in their car when I was in MY car because I was smoking, I know that there are really no boundaries for people with strong anti-smoking convictions.

Scrumpy

Yes, we dearly loved cruising on Renaissance. And I was a pipe smoker at the time. You could tell the smokers, they gathered at the top of the gangway even before the ship docked!

I'm surprised that there are not other, comparable, non-smoking lines - or are there? They wouldn't get my dime, of course. Having been subjected to finger-wagging from people in their car when I was in MY car because I was smoking, I know that there are really no boundaries for people with strong anti-smoking convictions.

Scrumpy

If there was a large enough market for one, there would be one. There is however not a large enough market so there is not one.

Archived