Oosterdam Pools: Ladders or Stairs??

herb

Just curious whether the pools on the Oosterdam have ladders or actual stairs that lead into the pool. When we sailed on RCI Voyager of the Seas it was great that the Solarium pool had a huge staircase leading into pool which worked out great for my mother who unfortunately cannot access the pool(s) if it's a ladder.

Well that's just a bit disappointing :(

One would think that since HAL caters to a more "mature" cruiser they would have made it easier for those senior adults who are not that nimble to get in and out of the pool!

The pools I have used on the HAL ships I have sailed, which include the Zuiderdam, sister ship to the Oosterdam, have ladders.
I disagree with this update. I just went in and checked 3 ships so far and all have stairs instead of ladders. I would be glad to post a picture if necessary. The stairs appear to be in the form of a ladder with stainless steel hand rails but the treads are stairs.:)

Bruce, that sounds like a ladder to me and it seemed like a ladder to me when I used them. I believe the OP is asking about stairs gradually going into the pool. If that's what he's asking, no HAL does not have stairs gradually going into the pools.

I disagree with this update. I just went in and checked 3 ships so far and all have stairs instead of ladders. I would be glad to post a picture if necessary. The stairs appear to be in the form of a ladder with stainless steel hand rails but the treads are stairs.:)
Further review of other ships pictures confirms that all have stairs. In addition I just looked at a pool picture of the Veendam which I took in March/2005 and a hydraulic lift was added to the pool with a seat so a person could actually be lifted into and out of the pool if needed. I thinks this was added as part of the Signature of Excellance program.

Bruce

I don't know what pix you are looking at but all the ships I have been on have ladders. Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Statendam, and Veendam.

Shipcafe's pictures shows the Hydo SPA with steps. The pools all have ladders.

Bruce

I don't know what pix you are looking at but all the ships I have been on have ladders. Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Statendam, and Veendam.

Shipcafe's pictures shows the Hydo SPA with steps. The pools all have ladders.

Sorry but all the photos I have of the ships you mention all have stairs. I am in the process of trying to upload a picture of the Veendam. The CC board is giving me a hard time.

Let me explain again what appears to be a ladder which would have rungs, in actuality is stair treads and you walk up or down the treads instead of climbing up and down a ladder. Hopefully this picture will show it. I have had to reduce the size for CC board. But look closely and you can see the treads. I thought I knew how to attach pictures to this post but I am having problems . Can somebody explain how to post a picture please!!!!

Well, I guess we all have a different ideas of what constitues "stairs" and "ladders". To me the ships have "ladders" in the pools whereas the hydrotherapy pool has "stairs" that you can walk down frontwards.

You walk down a ladder backwards to get into the pool, whereas with stairs you walk down "frontwards".

I have a ladder in my pool that is all metal, whereas HAL pools have wooden slats to step on.

How do you get into the pool, Bruce? Backwards or forwards? Most people I have seen entering the pool do it backwards, like coming down a ladder.

:D

Let the debate continue. :D

Well, I guess we all have a different ideas of what constitues "stairs" and "ladders". To me the ships have "ladders" in the pools whereas the hydrotherapy pool has "stairs" that you can walk down frontwards.

You walk down a ladder backwards to get into the pool, whereas with stairs you walk down "frontwards".

I have a ladder in my pool that is all metal, whereas HAL pools have wooden slats to step on.

How do you get into the pool, Bruce? Backwards or forwards? Most people I have seen entering the pool do it backwards, like coming down a ladder.

:D

Let the debate continue. :D

You can walk down the stairs in a HAL pool frontwards. I know exactly what you are talking about with your pool ladder. The HAL stairs look like a ladder but they have at least 2 wooden slats and they are not veritcal but enter the pool on an angle. If you look down directly on a pool ladder you can only see the first rung. If you look down directly on a HAL pool entry device!!!! You will see all the treads as they angle away from you into the pool and form a stair. If I can ever get this picture uploaded you will see what I mean.:)

Thank you all for taking the time and effort to answer my question. Even if the ladders' rungs angle out it'll be a great help for my mother (should she come along on this cruise). It's the typical ladders found on most ships' pools that have one rung right below the other that would cause her not to be able to use the pool...she has hip and knee "issues".

P.S. I know my mother... No way would she pay $15 a day to use the hydrotherapy pool just because it has stairs! :D

Thank you all for taking the time and effort to answer my question. Even if the ladders' rungs angle out it'll be a great help for my mother (should she come along on this cruise). It's the typical ladders found on most ships' pools that have one rung right below the other that would cause her not to be able to use the pool...she has hip and knee "issues".

P.S. I know my mother... No way would she pay $15 a day to use the hydrotherapy pool just because it has stairs! :D

Yes Herb the treads angle out. I refrain from using the term "rung" because they are consist of 2 wooden slats about 3 inch's wide making a tread 6 inch's wide and again arranged like a stair by angling out instead of being aligned directly over one another. I am still trying to get the picture uploaded!!!!!!

:o Ok, The more I think about it the more I think I am wrong. I conceed. I never go down facing forward. I think of steps being buildt in, like the ones shown in the hydro pool. I have stairs/steps in my pool. They resememble the stairs in the hydro pool but they are not in the corner.

Esme,

Do they go down to the bottom of the pool? I know they can't out in the aft pool but what about the Lido pool?

:o Ok, The more I think about it the more I think I am wrong. I conceed. I never go down facing forward. I think of steps being buildt in, like the ones shown in the hydro pool. I have stairs/steps in my pool. They resememble the stairs in the hydro pool but they are not in the corner.

Esme,

Do they go down to the bottom of the pool? I know they can't out in the aft pool but what about the Lido pool?

Thanks Esme, the stairs go almost to the bottom but not quite, you just step off. I reviewed all my pictures from most cruises and they are also used at the aft pool. And yes even thought you could walk down forward, most people back down. It just seems safer. I will continue to try to post the photo. It is very large and I need to get it down to a size the CC board will accept.:)

Archived