Power Strip Question

dreamovdocean

I'm looking to buy and inexpensive power strip for our upcoming cruise the end of February. It's my understanding that power strips are allowed as long as they're in good condition and don't have a GFI surge protector. I know this is probably a stupid question, but how exactly do you tell if any particular power strip is surge protected? Simply by the description/packaging? If the packaging doesn't specify "surge protector" then is it safe to assume it's ok? Do any of the experienced cruisers out there recommend a particular model?

Edited by dreamovdocean
incorrect title

I've only been on a couple of cruises and on checking the list of prohibited items...... power strips were not allowed. Worth checking the cruise companies website.

With this in mind and having a million things to charge, phones.... cameras etc.

I purchased a USB charge device that charged five devices and took up one socket.

Never found that I haven't had enough sockets when using one of these and cuts down on the number of leads.

Guess it depends what you need to plug in?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are allowed on Carnival - at least according to their website: "Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark."

This is why I'm wondering how to tell if a particular power strip is surge protected or not before I buy it.

We want to be able to charge our cameras/batteries/phones and perhaps plug in a small bedside alarm clock.

Thanks

They are allowed on Carnival - at least according to their website: "Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark."

This is why I'm wondering how to tell if a particular power strip is surge protected or not before I buy it.

We want to be able to charge our cameras/batteries/phones and perhaps plug in a small bedside alarm clock.

Thanks

These don't have a surge protector and worked fine on our trip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F8F7CR0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by cloudninecat

I'm looking to buy and inexpensive power strip for our upcoming cruise the end of February. It's my understanding that power strips are allowed as long as they're in good condition and don't have a GFI surge protector. I know this is probably a stupid question, but how exactly do you tell if any particular power strip is surge protected? Simply by the description/packaging? If the packaging doesn't specify "surge protector" then is it safe to assume it's ok? Do any of the experienced cruisers out there recommend a particular model?

I do not personally own this model, but always cruise with a power strip. This model is inexpensive and doesn't have surge protection. Be careful not to plug too many things in at once though because it will trip the circuit and you won't have any plug until maintenance comes and resets it. One or 2 things plugged in at once is max, and do not plug a blow dryer into it. Power strips like this are not intended for things that pull a lot of electricity at once.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/6-Outlet-Power-Strip-F9P609-03-DP/100654575

I usually see these at Christmas time every year in the Christmas decorations section at the stores.

Interesting article:

Wow - I really appreciate all the fast replies! So from what you guys are saying it sounds like the "no surge protector" rule isn't really enforced? I just want to make sure I don't bring anything potentially dangerous on board. Thanks again everyone.

i have seen security take and remove power strips that have a bank of outlets attached to a 3 foot cord. i'd avoid bringing this type of device.

the link i posted above is a "block" charger that plugs into the room outlet with no extension cable attached to it. the block has 120v outlets and USB ports.

we found this block style charger to me more than adequate for 3 people in a room to charge all their devices (gopros, iphones, ipads, laptops).

for convenience, we have 10' USB cables that reach the bed from the outlet that we use at night to charge the phones and listen to music or read before bed. this way no one has to get up to plug in their device once in bed. it's already done.

Surge protectors are always a hazard and that's why they are prohibited no matter how many times you have brought them on without incident. The Belkin one previously mentioned is included. There are plenty of safe alternatives, please find something else to use.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2413290

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310158

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2345437

So I think I scrolled through all the replies and unless I missed it no one has actually answered the question. A power strip with a surge protector will often have a reset switch. It's like a mini circuit breaker. If there is no reset switch it likely isn't surge protected.

Other than that I found this information for knowing if it's a surge protector.

"In order to tell the difference between a power strip and a surge protector, you have to look for an electric rating. A surge protector will have a rating in Joules of energy, as well as the maximum voltage it can take from a power spike. If you find those numbers either on the box it came it or on the strip itself, then it is a surge protector. Also, if you have ever heard the term “surge suppressor”, it is the same thing as a surge protector; it is a device used to protect against changes in current."

Edited by frayedend

So I think I scrolled through all the replies and unless I missed it no one has actually answered the question. A power strip with a surge protector will have a reset switch. It's like a mini circuit breaker. If there is no reset switch it likely isn't surge protected. If there is any out there that protects and doesn't have a reset then there is no way for Carnival or anyone else to know unless it's written on the device.

In one of the many other threads I asked chengkp75 kind of that same question, and from what I gather, if it only has 2 plugs that go into the main outlet, it won't be surge protected because it needs the 3rd prong for the "ground". Hope this helps.

Usually the cheap strips won't have it. Best to look at the packaging and leave it in it in case there is any question at the port.

Circuit breakers are different than surge protectors. I don't remember if a surge protector has a reset button or not. I don't ever recall seeing one, just on a circuit breaker. But I could be wrong.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I'm a newbie here, what makes them hazardous?

I'm not an engineer, but chengkp75 is and the way he explains it in a nutshell is that the ships wiring is different than on land. Basically if there is a surge, it will reverse and cause the surge protector to go into thermal runaway meaning it causes it to overheat, smolder, and burst into flames. I'm sure I'm missing stuff in between, but that's the long and short of it. It can catch on fire.

Actually there was one poster on here recently that had this very thing happen. Luckily they were in their cabin at the time and were able to put it out right away. Had they not, a fire would ensued.

I'm a newbie here, what makes them hazardous?

I just read a long explanation and since I'm not an electrician I don't get all of it. But it has to do with how wiring on a ship is different than at home. It is not a grounded system. Using a surge protected outlet can apparently send current to the ships hull (causes corrosion) and potentially to the device you plug in.

In one of the many other threads I asked chengkp75 kind of that same question, and from what I gather, if it only has 2 plugs that go into the main outlet, it won't be surge protected because it needs the 3rd prong for the "ground". Hope this helps.

Usually the cheap strips won't have it. Best to look at the packaging and leave it in it in case there is any question at the port.

Circuit breakers are different than surge protectors. I don't remember if a surge protector has a reset button or not. I don't ever recall seeing one, just on a circuit breaker. But I could be wrong.

That's a much easier way to tell and makes sense based on what I was just reading about the non-grounded ship electrical system.

That's a much easier way to tell and makes sense based on what I was just reading about the non-grounded ship electrical system.

Thanks. Works for me. While not all 3 pronged devices are surge protected, it's pretty safe to say that if it only has 2 it's good to go. At least from what I understand.

Thank you! I'd love to have something with USB on it as well but everything I've seen so far has had surge protection on it.

Typically, items that combine power outlets (110v) with USB ports will have surge protection. However, many multi-USB hubs claim "surge protection", since that is a "sexy" term, when in fact they only offer "voltage regulation". If a multi-USB hub only has a two-prong plug, then it is not surge protected. Get a cheap power strip for multiple power outlets, and a multi-USB hub with a two prong plug and you are good to go.