Yankee in need of Aussie Travel Advice

Hello,

I hope you Aussies & Kiwis don't mind an American intrusion. I thought this would be a good place to ask for advice.

I've heard that you are very proud of your country, and from what pictures I've seen of New South Wales alone, the scenery is stunning.

My name is Jill, & my husband, Phil & I will be visiting your beautiful country for the first time in December.

Hobart, Tasmania is a port of call, & I wish to know how far Wineglass Bay is from the port?

I read that the beach at Wineglass Bay are world class, & we would like to make it a beach day on our own rather than joining an expensive shore excursion.

Also, we disembark in Sydney and will have four days post cruise before flying out of SYD.

We would like to do a short drive and spend one night in the Blue Mountains, but it appears that it might take the entire 4 days to drive it.

I'm trying to convince Phil that perhaps we might be better off driving the scenic Pacific Highway to Wollongong & spend our time on the beaches of Wollongong.

Or, would spending the entire time in Sydney be worthwhile?

Thank you for any advice you might give me.

BTW, we will be spending Christmas Day in OZ. It will be interesting to see how another country celebrates the holiday, and especially in summer.:)

Hello,

I hope you Aussies & Kiwis don't mind an American intrusion. I thought this would be a good place to ask for advice.

I've heard that you are very proud of your country, and from what pictures I've seen of New South Wales alone, the scenery is stunning.

My name is Jill, & my husband, Phil & I will be visiting your beautiful country for the first time in December.

Hobart, Tasmania is a port of call, & I wish to know how far Wineglass Bay is from the port?

As for Christmas, its been many years since I had Christmas in Sydney, but I would think that where you stay would have a slap up Christmas dinner available. Aussies like to spend the day at the beach so expect them to be crowded.

I read that the beach at Wineglass Bay are world class, & we would like to make it a beach day on our own rather than joining an expensive shore excursion.

Also, we disembark in Sydney and will have four days post cruise before flying out of SYD.

We would like to do a short drive and spend one night in the Blue Mountains, but it appears that it might take the entire 4 days to drive it.

I'm trying to convince Phil that perhaps we might be better off driving the scenic Pacific Highway to Wollongong & spend our time on the beaches of Wollongong.

Or, would spending the entire time in Sydney be worthwhile?

Thank you for any advice you might give me.

BTW, we will be spending Christmas Day in OZ. It will be interesting to see how another country celebrates the holiday, and especially in summer.:)

Hi Jill,

The Blue Mountains are just a 3-2 hour drive from Sydney (depending how often you stop to take in the views) and the last time I went that way they were doing up the highway so it should be an easy drive. I would recommended that you look at staying in Katoomba.

As for Christmas (and its been many years since I spent Christmas in Sydney) I would think that wherever you are staying will have a slap up Christmas dinner available. Aussies like to go to the beach on Christmas Day so expect these to be crowded.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I would be looking at Christmas in the Blue Mountains and stay as far away from the crowds as I could... but that's just me. :cool:

Cheers

Dashman

Hi, as a Sydney girl I would say definitely go for a drive up the blue mountains, it will be cooler up there and has amazing views and walks.

But leave time to explore Sydney, take a ferry over to Manly, have a swim and an ice cream on the beach. There are so many things to see in Sydney it might be best to do a search for some tours around Sydney.

I have done the "rocks tour" and that explores the old part of Sydney and how it was in days gone by, I personally loved this tour as it took us into places and alleys in Sydney that you wouldn't know we're there.

A visit to the zoo is a whole day event, and the views from the zoo are amazing.

Also you have the aquarium, and centre point tower.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for, if you want beach then either Wollongong or Manly. If you are after the bush then the blue mountains, or if you are after seeing the sights of Sydney then stay in Sydney and do lots of tours.

Maree

Welcome to the A & NZ Cruisers board. I am sure you will get lots of good advice here.

You said you would be in Hobart and wondered how far it is to Wineglass Bay - I have never done this as a day drive from Hobart - it is nearly 3 hours drive so by the time you drove up and back there would be very little time left to see the bay and IMO you could be at risk of missing the ship.

Sydney has lots to keep you busy - Manly is great and the Blue Mountains are only about 2 hours drive. If you are wanting to eat your Christmas lunch at a hotel or resort you will need to book when the bookings open as they using fill up pretty quickly. I like the idea of Christmas in the Blue Mountains for a change or also maybe at a hotel overlooking Sydney Harbour.

Wineglass Bay is 180km (113 miles) from Hobart, but taking into account Tasmania's 'slow' roads and driving through towns, it could take four hours one way. The Freycinet National Park is lovely, but you have to have time to take walks. Even to reach the beach from the beach takes some time.

There is a lot to see in Hobart itself. :)

If you are on the Solstice over Christmas, I believe it stops in Melbourne on Christmas Day. Where you dock is right next to a beach and foreshore area, you will probably have lots of people enjoying the beach and having picnics/BBQ's if the weather is nice. You can also catch the tram to St Kilda for more beaches or into the city itself where lots of people will be having Christmas lunch along the river parks.

Wineglass Bay is 180km (113 miles) from Hobart, but taking into account Tasmania's 'slow' roads and driving through towns, it could take four hours one way. The Freycinet National Park is lovely, but you have to have time to take walks. Even to reach the beach from the beach takes some time.

Correction to above - the last sentence in the first paragraph should read "Even to reach the beach from the parking area takes some time".

I noticed this too late to make an "edit" change.

If you are on the Solstice over Christmas, I believe it stops in Melbourne on Christmas Day. Where you dock is right next to a beach and foreshore area, you will probably have lots of people enjoying the beach and having picnics/BBQ's if the weather is nice. You can also catch the tram to St Kilda for more beaches or into the city itself where lots of people will be having Christmas lunch along the river parks.

Thank you for the advice, but we disembark the Solstice on the 22nd.

However, I have a feeling that this will not be our only visit to Oz.:)

This is a scouting trip for now.

I would love to circle the country, but that will take some time due to the vastness of the land.

Correction to above - the last sentence in the first paragraph should read "Even to reach the beach from the parking area takes some time".

I noticed this too late to make an "edit" change.

Not a problem.

The distance alone has squelched all notions of going to Wineglass Bay.

Wineglass Bay is too far away for a day trip. If you like modern art then take a ferry up the river to MONA. It's probably one of the most unique museums/art galleries anywhere in the world and it's a cheap option for a day excursion. in Sydney you would find two days for a trip to the Blue Mountains more than enough.

The drive down South to Wollongong and beyond is one of my favourites (google "Grand Pacific Drive" for more info) and is a trip often overlooked by tourists. The only problem with it is that it takes 45 minutes to get out of Sydney before you reach the Royal National Park and the fun part begins.

With Hobart it is not exactly beach weather compared to areas like Sydney. It will be warm and sunny but not scorching heat. Wineglass Bay is way too far to do in one day.

Port Arthur and Richmond are probably the most scenic places to see from Hobart. I have details and photos here of a cruise I did to Hobart this April. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1837929

The drive down South to Wollongong and beyond is one of my favourites (google "Grand Pacific Drive" for more info) and is a trip often overlooked by tourists. The only problem with it is that it takes 45 minutes to get out of Sydney before you reach the Royal National Park and the fun part begins.

Thanks Gek for making sure they knew it wasn't the Pacific Hwy - it takes roughly 2 hours from Sydney CBD to Thirroul along Grand Pacific Drive - even better if traffic is good. It is a beautiful part of NSW with its beaches (yes I am bias, I live here), and the Seacliff bridge is worth seeing - our bridge that goes over the sea so we can get around the cliff area.

Yes, Wineglass Bay involves hundreds of steps up a rocky path which will not be an issue for fit bush walkers. My understanding is that it is the quality of the silica in the sand that sets it apart from other Aussie beaches. Each State will lay claim to having the best beach - and they are all correct! They all have beauties.

I suggest you consider Mt Wellington lookout, overlooking Hobart. On a fine day, it provides one the most memorable vistas this planet can offer IMHO. There are easy walks at the top with a number of vantage points. We went by private car but there are buses going up.

As well as Tassie, we were fortunate enough to tour the Sydney to Wollongong route already suggested, which was fantastic, as well as the Blue Mountains Three Sisters at Katoomba. Well worth it if you can manage it. There are sky-gondola rides and the steep train as well, to give great views o the Sisters and the bush.

Thanks Gek for making sure they knew it wasn't the Pacific Hwy - it takes roughly 2 hours from Sydney CBD to Thirroul along Grand Pacific Drive - even better if traffic is good. It is a beautiful part of NSW with its beaches (yes I am bias, I live here), and the Seacliff bridge is worth seeing - our bridge that goes over the sea so we can get around the cliff area.

I think you mean Princes Highway? The Pacific Highway goes north of Sydney.

I think you mean Princes Highway? The Pacific Highway goes north of Sydney.

No it is not the Princes Hwy "Thanks Gek for making sure they knew it wasn't the Pacific Hwy" (and yes the Pacific Hwy goes North) - why I said it wasn't - and the Princes Hwy actually goes along the top of the mountain along side of the F6 - so it isn't that either. We just call it the cost road - but officially it is road 68.

The 2 ways to do the drive - turn left into Royal National Park at Loftus or follow highway 1 down and turn left at the Helensburg off ramp (probably quicker but you do miss the National Park drive which is good), but you still get to Bald Hill and the great scenery - this is a great hanggliding area and if winds are good then there will probably be a few around.

Grand Pacific Drive information

http://www.grandpacificdrive.com.au/routes-and-maps

From a Sydneysider you have picked a great time to be in Sydney. My only reservation about going to Wollongong is that at that time of the year it could be quite busy on the roads as people desert Sydney for the Xmas break. I know that driving north can be a nightmare at that time of the year. The drive out of Sydney to Wollongong is not the best for scenery- though the view of Botany Bay is nice. If you don't make it to the Blue Mountains you might like to venture into the Royal National Park on your way to Wollongong. It is very pretty . If you are in search of beaches we have plenty in Sydney!! Try catching the bus up to Palm Beach - or any of the Northern Beaches- these are very beautiful or a nice harbour beach like Balmoral which is also only 30 mins from the centre of Sydney- a nice place to go in the evening. Good luck with your plans.

Hi

Welcome. We are on the same cruise (our first) do join our rollcall (sorry don't know how to include the link)

Looking forward to it all.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I'm already on the roll call, and Phil & I are signed up for the Meet & Mingle.

Hope to meet you on board.:)

I'm sure you will love cruising, and from what I've heard, Celebrity is a great cruiseline.

A close friend took her very first cruise last year on Celebrity roundtrip from New York to Bermuda. She absolutely loved it, and has booked another sailing.

This is our first time on Celebrity. We chose it over Princess because we liked this itinerary better, and the pricing was more reasonable.

Rather than take a ship's tour in Hobart, try to get off the ship fairly early, the ship will be berthed near the waterfront, and there will be kiosks selling day tours.

Naturally you must allow sufficient time to get back on board, however you should be able to find something of interest, and if you have sufficient time later, explore the Salamanca Place markets, and, if time permits, the old colonial area beyond.

An alternative would be to hire a car and head south along the coastal route B68. It is very picturesque, passing small settlements with names like Snug and Flowerpot.

We finalized our Oz plans.

Although, I ran by some of your suggestions...I was unable to convince Hubby otherwise.

However, there is a method to our madness.

We are not visiting the Blue Mtns this time.:(

When we disembark in Sydney, we will spend two nights near the Circular Quay.

This way, we can see the city and avoid parking a car there.

Then we will rent a car for two days and drive to Wollongong.

Christmas in Wollongong.:D

I warned Hubby regarding your advice about crowded beaches during Christmas, but that fell on deaf ears.:rolleyes:

On departure day, we will drive back to SYD in the afternoon to catch our late evening flight to HNL.

Now, my next question for those of you reading this:

Is Kangaroo Valley possible to drive from Sydney to Wollongong in a day?

The route I'm looking at is the scenic coastal highway from Sydney to Berry.

Then drive north through the Kangaroo Village, then east to Robertson; then south to the coastal highway and backtrack to Wollongong.

I read on another thread that Aussies refer to diapers as nappies, as do the Brits.

So, do Aussies call a dinner napkin a serviette, as the Brits do?

I'm somewhat familiar with British terminology, thanks to Hubby's relatives.

But Aussie-speak is a whole new adventure.:D

I'm catching on, though, or at least I think I am.:)

Here is what I've learned so far from all you Fine Folks who post in this forum:

Breaky is Breakfast

Slap up means going all out for an occasion (i.e. hotel Christmas Lunch).

Suss means to sort out.

I read on another thread that Aussies refer to diapers as nappies, as do the Brits.

So, do Aussies call a dinner napkin a serviette, as the Brits do?

I'm somewhat familiar with British terminology, thanks to Hubby's relatives.

But Aussie-speak is a whole new adventure.:D

I'm catching on, though, or at least I think I am.:)

Here is what I've learned so far from all you Fine Folks who post in this forum:

Breaky is Breakfast

Slap up means going all out for an occasion (i.e. hotel Christmas Lunch).

Suss means to sort out.

serviettes on the table, napkins (or nappies) on the baby's bottom.:)

I agree with this statement. Even to drive without stopping and looking at the towns along the way would take 2 1/2 to 3 hours if the weather is good. People often have accidents on our roads here in Tasmania as they do not realise they are winding and dangerous at speeds.

Whilst it is a beautiful area, the beaches are not with easy access in Tasmania. You usually have to walk through a short distance of bush land to get to them.

This would not be a day trip from Hobart.

Sorry just read your post above where you had ruled this out.

Archived