Ocho Rios, what can you share?

Cindy G

OK, I'm sure that I'm going to get blasted by some of the CC's, but I'm going to be honest with you.....

Ocho Rios is probably one of my least favorite place I've been to. Since you've never been there, do "The Falls". BUT, keep in mind, you should only do this if you are physically fit. You are climbing a very fast waterfall - slick rocks, idiot fellow passengers, but very good guides. I do not recommend this excursion for children (under the age of 10), nor adults that tire easily. If you desire, take your camera, and give it to one of your guides. They will take photos of you along the way. (Keep in mind, they are not responsible in the event your camera should get wet/ruined/dropped/busted....) :eek:

Once you exit "The Falls", you enter a shopping area. Keep your American Cash to yourself, and immediately find an Exit (if possible). You may have to purchase an item to locate said Exit. Here the locals will push you to purchase their wares, and if you don't, they insult you.

Unfortuately, our itinary in Dec lands us back in sunny Ocho Rios. I guess I'll find something to do. (Probably a short snorkeling tour.)

ANOTHER WORD TO THE WISE: Do not travel alone in Jamaica. I don't care what you read or what other CC's say, Jamaica is not safe. Travel with a buddy.

Lady_G & Baby Causey

DRF Dunns River Falls is not in walking distance and it is a tourist trap emphasis on trap as it has been said here. But if you want something to do in walking distance go to the shopping mall area. The way there is fenced in and it is a gated shopping area which is not pressured like the ones around all the sights. Margaretaville is there and that is something you don't want to miss! Jamaica Ocho Rios was not my favorite place to stop but with precautions you will be ok. I would definately stay in the fenced and gated areas if you are by yourself. Happy Cruising!

We were in Ocho Rios Feb '05. We booked a Dophin Swim, which was lots of fun. It seemed like all in the group enjoyed it and I would reccommend that.

We also booked Dunn's River Falls, but I would reccommend doing that on your own vs. an excursion. I failed to understand that that going up the falls would be slippery and treacherous. I am in great physical shape with no impairments and was PETRIFIED that I would missstep and and possibly injure myself. This is not what you want to do on vacation--is jeopardize your health! Halfway up the falls, I was able to get out via some strategically placed steps and took the rest of the "tour" from the sidelines. The site itself is awesome, but the excursion up the actual falls is quite arduous. The site's shopping area is not nice, very trite crafty goods that are aggressively hawked and it is NOT taken nicely when refused. SO beware!

The shopping centers close to the ports are nice, but fairly typical in wares as to other Carribean ports. We did have a nice time unwinding in Margueritaville following the trek to the Falls. Believe me, I needed the alcoholic sustenance by then! :p

Have Fun!

Sorry to be the lone ranger here, but we had a blast in Jamaica. Yes, there are people who will give you a hard time, but we ran into the same thing in New York City! Dunn's River Falls can be done by anyone in reasonable shape and really isn't all that scary! Rose Hall Great House is a fun trip as is Shaw Botanical Gardens. The previous poster is right about one thing. Do not travel alone in any foreign country. It's just good common sense. Have fun in Jamaica, Mon!!!

Bill

Ocho Rios was our favorite stop on Century/Western Caribbean in March '03, and we are looking forward to Montego Bay on Galaxy next April. We toured Ocho Rios with Peat Taylor, booked directly online after reading so many good reviews here on CC. He showed us the sights, and Dunn's River Falls was just one of them -- we had zero interest in climbing them, so while the rest of our group headed up, we swam at the beach at the foot of the falls. His assistant gave us advice on how to avoid the vendors while exiting the park where the falls are -- unfortunately, we took a wrong turn and went right through their gauntlet, but a whole lot of "no thank yous" got us right through -- certainly a more pleasant experience than, oh, say, trying to walk through the downtown streets of St. Maarten, with "braid your hair, lady?" a dozen times per block. Anyway, Peat was impressive not only for the tour stops and for his narrative, but also for his kindness toward our then-7-year-old son, who sat right up front next to him and asked endless questions once it became clear nobody else on board was going to! We returned to the ship at lunchtime, and Peat offered to continue the tour after lunch, no extra charge, for anybody else interested in going shopping or to another local beach ... whatta guy. I am now busily trying to find out who is the Montego Bay version of Peat Taylor ... TR

We're staying on board that day.

Ocho Rios (or Jamaica in general) is a waste of a port of call. Wake up and smell the coffee, Celebrity!

Hi Terry, As you already know, we are on the same Century cruise as you...we are still debating Duns River Falls. We have never been to Jamaica and would like to experience all there is to see, but we are in our 60s and although both my DH and I are in good phyical shape...I'm getting really concerned about climbing slippery steps while walking up a waterfall. I would, however, like to go to the Dolphin Cove. Do you know if we can just walk up the steps next to Duns River Falls and not walk up the water fall at all...or if we decide to go to the falls but not walk up them...will we be inundated by vendors trying to get us to buy their wares? Thanks for any advice you or anyone else can give us.

Dunn's River Falls has steps that are close to the river itself and at times has beautiful vantage points close enough to see the falls. The tour itself: you are at the base of the river. You are walking up the falls (UP) holding hands in a line of people with one or two guides -one is leading the line. You are walking on rocks/boulders--the river's own natural made steps which are often not clearly seen under the current. Thus, much of the time you are going uphill, at a fast enough pace and not seeing where you are putting your foot for the next step. Obviously, since the steps are underwater--they are slippery in nature. It's a beautful site. But it is no leisurely hike for sure.

You do not have to take the tour itself up the falls. You can enjoy the falls from the sidelines or the beach at its base.

We did do Dolphin Cove and enjoyed that a lot and I would recommend it. Have fun. We enjoyed Jamaica.

Well, I'm one of the ones who loves Jamaica and Dunn's River Falls. Climbing the Falls was one of the highlights of our Western Caribbean cruise. I don't know when we had so many laughs! It is important to wear water shoes as the help with your footing. You also don't have to be in great physical shape. We didn't use guides and my brother and I manages to get five older women up the Falls with us. Like I said, tons of laughs.

I never felt the slightest bit unsafe in Jamaica. Like anywhere else. You need to be street smart. Will you be offered drugs? Most likely. I simpe NO always worked fine for me. My experience with traveling has always been that if you treat people with respect you usually get the same in return.

Hated Jamaica. Will never go back there. Did Dunn's River Fall and it was dangerous. Especially when they make you hold hands with other slipping tourists. I finally let go and made my own way up. Oh, and when you give the guide your camera, expect to have to pay American Dollars to get it back! They were relentless with trying to get your money every step of the way.

It is definitely not safe walking around there either. When I was there, we stayed at a resort and they told us specifically "do not leave the premises without a guided tour, as it is not safe". Yes, you need to be careful whenever you travel, but when the resort that thrives on tourism is telling you it's not safe, that's pretty bad.

It's not a pretty island. I'll never forget the dead cows on the side of the road and shacks with people laying out in the middle of a work week drinking beers and smoking. I've been to at least a half dozen other Caribbean Islands and none were anywhere near as bad as this. I even avoid picking ships that go there.

It is important to wear water shoes as the help with your footing. You also don't have to be in great physical shape.
Many many opinions here, must be quite confusing :confused:

My 2 cents, fwiw, Dunn's River Fall's if you have never been, wear water shoes, take a taxi from the ship and use one of the guides from the falls and ask that it be a private tour for just those in your party. In touring the falls in this way it is much more personal. This is just what my dh and I did on our last visit and we have some very memorable photos which the guide took the time to set up.

We love Jamacia. The falls are quite a climb, but there is a get out spot half way up, this is what I did, then filmed the rest of our party as the scrambled up the rest of the way. Have always found a smile and a firm but polite no thank you works well Jamacia. As in any country don't flash your cash.

If you want to be offerred drugs, nagged about getting your hair braided & asked constantly if you need a cab, Ocho Rios is a great place. We did not actually walk up the falls after seeing numerous able bodied people fall we decided to forgo it. We are looking at Freedom of the Seas for '07 and see Montego Bay is listed on the itinerary...hoping it proves a nicer place to visit than Ocho Rios.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Been there..done that..and probably won't do it again. That being said every port offers different things to different people. We did the Falls on our own with the downside being our bus left without us on the return...we just picked up another cab. Had a great time and survived the escape thru the fall's craft exit. There are plenty of other things to do in the port. I would say unless you have been there a number of times don't stay on the ship....you never know what you may be missing.

Hi, I have been twice. First time was with a group from the ROLL CALL

I was active in....we used Peat Taylor. He is a very reputable independent

tour operator and we had a really nice day. Went to the Falls

(though I am not a climber)but overall I had a very good time.

2nd time I got off the ship and walked up to Margaritaville and ran

into a couple of crew from the ship. We sat at the bar and listened

to the music and I had a couple of drinks (the guys had to go back

to work so they were just having soda).

You will always get different opinions about every port. If you have never

been to the Falls, in my opinion, it is beautiful there and I would say

go for it.

(just one person's opinion).

DH and I went to Ocho Rios and did the river float trip (don't remember what it was called, but it was tubes down a river). If I hadn't booked thru Celebrity, I would have been very afraid. We saw men with machetes on the side of the road on the way way way up a hillside road - the middle of nowhere. We had a fun time, and the float trip was fun, but we also had a hard time seeing the severe poverty we drove thru and then walking back onto this opulent ship. So I guess I have to agree with other posters, next time we go to Jamaica, I'll enjoy Ocho Rios from the ship.

I have been to Ocho Rios several times...and I agree that the falls are great...but do heed the instructions of the guides! I know from personal experience! He told me to jump and he would catch me and I was afraid he would not so I did my own thing....ended up with a scar that is still on my leg....12 years after! Cruising down the river on the raft was very cool but that was in the middle 70's so not sure what it is like now (I was just a child then :)

Archived