hiring a driver for the day

tyson

Thanks for the reply...Looks like you did exactly what we want to...

BTW, we just got back Saturday.

I am currently doing a review of the cruise, have not gotten to the Cozumel excursion we took, but, I will be posting a number of pix of what we did.

Alberto was our driver, good guy. Perfect trip.

Review link is in my signature.

BTW, we just got back Saturday.

I am currently doing a review of the cruise, have not gotten to the Cozumel excursion we took, but, I will be posting a number of pix of what we did.

Alberto was our driver, good guy. Perfect trip.

Review link is in my signature.

Just back from the same sailing. I have now used Hiring A Driver For A Day twice....very good experience both times.

We just returned from our 2nd visit to Cozumel (42 of us on a family reunion cruise). This is our 2nd time using Hiring a Driver and the both times we had Gerry driving us around the island. He is simply put "The Best" on the island. He goes over and above to make sure that your tour is great. He knows plenty of the off the wall places to go and can barter everything under the sun (from snorkel equipment and a guide) to souveniers. I highly recommend him and his team of drivers. We have told many others about him and they too have hired them for the day and everyone raves about them upon their return. If you are lucky enough to get him...have him take you to Playa Bonita for lunch. Incredible restaurant on the east side of the island! Cruise on!!!

We also went to eat @ Playa Bonita restaurant; delicious seafood, Margaritas and a beautiful view of the ocean. After that Alberto took us to walk up to the lighthhouse (lots of steps), and that helped to walk off the amount of food we ate!! lol :p

We enjoyed Playa Bonita too. The have the biggest margaritas! I ordered a shrimp cocktail that had about 50 little shrimps in it...no kidding. We ran out of time to go up in the lighthouse so we're going back and doing it again. :)

We enjoyed Playa Bonita too. The have the biggest margaritas! I ordered a shrimp cocktail that had about 50 little shrimps in it...no kidding. We ran out of time to go up in the lighthouse so we're going back and doing it again. :)

We did America Cup Yacht Race in the morning, then did the private driver in the afternoon, about 4 hours.

If ever I go back to Cozumel, I will book for a minimum of 6 hours, maybe 7 hours.

What a great way to do Cozumel.

Absolutely fantastic, wish we would have had more time.

Johneeo - you are soooo right! It's amazing how fast the time goes on these tours. Since the base rate starts at 3 hours, I'd really suggest anyone booking should book the extra hours. We had 5 hours and missed a lot we wanted to see. This time we'd like to go in reverse and head another direction first. That's the good thing about hiring a driver for the day, you can customize!

Edited by LRene

Johneeo - you are soooo right! It's amazing how fast the time goes on these tours. Since the base rate starts at 3 hours, I'd really suggest anyone booking should book the extra hours. We had 5 hours and missed a lot we wanted to see. This time we'd like to go in reverse and head another direction first. That's the good thing about hiring a driver for the day, you can customize!

We recently returned from Cozumel and enjoyed our third tour with Gerry! We have done exactly what you are planning. The first time we went south from the port, dropped my daughter and husband off at a beach club and took our first trip round the island stopping first at Palancar, then Punta Sur and the lighthouse, Playa Bonita for lunch and then several quick photo stops.

The second time we had a bigger family group and headed north for a quick look at the northern end of the island (airport, marina and town before heading on a clockwise tour round the island.

This last trip we had Gerry take us to the San Gervasio ruins and then a local eatery back towards town. Gerry has always been very kind and attentive, no matter how big the group and is always willing to help. He is always available if you need him but knows how to give you space as well. When we have travelled as a couple we enjoyed inviting him to join us for lunch but when we had a larger group he politely declined.

We booked 5 hours for December but now I'm thinking we may need more time. We want to do: San Gervaiso, the Chocolate Factory, Punta Sur and the lighthouse, the east side, lunch and possibly some Rx and vanilla shopping. Can we do all this in 5 hours or are we pushing it?

We booked 5 hours for December but now I'm thinking we may need more time. We want to do: San Gervaiso, the Chocolate Factory, Punta Sur and the lighthouse, the east side, lunch and possibly some Rx and vanilla shopping. Can we do all this in 5 hours or are we pushing it?

Don't know, but, if it takes longer, you just pay for the extra hour.

As long as the extra time you take on the tour does not keep you from getting back to the ship on time.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you might be pushing it but it kind of depends on how much time you spend at each stop. However, if you think you might want more than 5 hours, just let Eduardo know that is a possibility and then play it by ear that day (if your port time allows).

We liked doing things at a leisurely pace and in 5 hours we missed a few things we would have liked to have stopped at.

I think you might be pushing it but it kind of depends on how much time you spend at each stop. However, if you think you might want more than 5 hours, just let Eduardo know that is a possibility and then play it by ear that day (if your port time allows).

We liked doing things at a leisurely pace and in 5 hours we missed a few things we would have liked to have stopped at.

Thanks! Not sure if > 5 hours will fly with the kids so we may just keep it at 5 and then hit the beach for an hour or 2.

We just booked a private driver for the day for August 18th. We got Cantero. I read a review he was in and it was a good one. I booked for 4 hours but we are docked from 1:30 until 10:00p.m. so i'm wondering if I should go with more than 4 hours - skip dinner on the boat and stay out on the island. Thougts anyone??

We just booked a private driver for the day for August 18th. We got Cantero. I read a review he was in and it was a good one. I booked for 4 hours but we are docked from 1:30 until 10:00p.m. so i'm wondering if I should go with more than 4 hours - skip dinner on the boat and stay out on the island. Thougts anyone??

Pretty simple.

Do the 4 hours. If you need more, just pay the fee for the extra hour or two.

Just make sure you do your research, know what you want to do, and you will have a great time.

We did the east coast, loved it, great bars, restaurants, beaches.

Loved Coz.

Contacted them today for a late last minute request - we'll be there Wednesday. They said 'no problem'. My question is this: we arrive at 1:30 - 10:00. First time cruise so I assume we'll be off the boat around 2ish. We're thinking of doing the stingray encounter which starts at 3:00. Sounds like it's a 1 hour (if you don't do the excursion from the cruise ship). Should I arrange for the driver to pick us up there? Should he pick us up at the pier and then wait for us? I would really like to go to the east side of the island for a quick stop (we don't want to see the lighthouse, etc) -- basically a few quick stops so we have time in town for shopping / hanging out. Is this possible? We don't want to feel rushed and I also know that lots of things close at 5pm on the island. Thoughts? Maybe hire a driver when we go for a visit to the island instead of the cruise?

Contacted them today for a late last minute request - we'll be there Wednesday. They said 'no problem'. My question is this: we arrive at 1:30 - 10:00. First time cruise so I assume we'll be off the boat around 2ish. We're thinking of doing the stingray encounter which starts at 3:00. Sounds like it's a 1 hour (if you don't do the excursion from the cruise ship). Should I arrange for the driver to pick us up there? Should he pick us up at the pier and then wait for us? I would really like to go to the east side of the island for a quick stop (we don't want to see the lighthouse, etc) -- basically a few quick stops so we have time in town for shopping / hanging out. Is this possible? We don't want to feel rushed and I also know that lots of things close at 5pm on the island. Thoughts? Maybe hire a driver when we go for a visit to the island instead of the cruise?

Not knowing the logistics of what is involved with the stingray encounter, hard to advise.

From what I do know, you might be off the ship at 1:30. ..... so ..... you might have an hour to an hour and a half to kill. If you have the private driver, on the way to wherever the stringray encounter is, he might be able to show you some sights of interest prior to the SE.

Maybe you could email Eduardo, tell him about what you are thinking, and see what he advises.

Have fun, Coz is a great place, lots to do and see, East coast was great.

You can book your tour ahead of time here: http://toursplaza.com/categorias/info/hiring_a_driver

We're sailing in three weeks and booked about a month ago. We got a confirmation very quickly and were able to put down our deposit. Pricing information is on the website. When you see people mention Alberto, Cantaro, Jose Luis, or Gerry in this thread, they're talking about booking through this website :). I plan to write a detailed photo review of our full day when we get back.

I have try the link and no website comes up. Do they have a new website.

Thanks,

Joanne

Just booked for next Wednesday (yes - I know - I planned my cruise late and now making plans late). We have George. anyone have George?

Can't wait - I'm sure we'll have a blast....

Just got back from the cruise. Due to tropical storm Ernesto that was going to be in the Cozumel area we had to detour and go to Nassau instead. My refund was promptly given to my credit card. Isn't that nice - what a great company to work with. Can't wait to use them again soon and recommend them to everyone.