Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Fitness, Spa & Sports Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Fitness, Spa & Sports Cruises Active cruisers unite!

Old October 13th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Swaying (not just sweating) at the gym

Please explain to the n00b...

Has the gentle rocking of the ship you were in ever interfered with your workout?

I'm a free weights and machines kind of person, I don't use Bosu balls... but are they used in ships? Will hilarity ensue? Pretty please?

And if the sea is nasty, will they close the gym?

But has anyone ever been affected by the rocking while at the gym? What happened? Are there specific safety measures at the gym? I suspect there isn't a squat rack, at most a smith machine, right? They wouldn't want anyone bending the bar in a ship... I think. Not that I do those... but would they allow Olympic lifting, for example?

So, in comparison to your local gym, how is the gym of a ship any different?

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

The gentle rocking hasn't affected us.

Our "routine" is generally to do the Spinning class and then do some machine weights.

however, we were in rough seas once where the spinnng class didn't agree very well with me. I was "ok" getting up, eating, walking around, etc. and starting the spinning class was ok. But, when we started doing up and down movements, that got to me pretty bad.

with the rest of the day spent sleeping, I can't really tell you if they closed the gym or not.

To calm your nerves a bit- of the +100 days we've been at sea, that was the only time we've had it that bad.

As for stuff there- I don't seem to recall seeing a lot of free weights, outside of the single hand stuff- big range of that, for sure. But not a single bar that you would do olympic movements on. Decent variety of weight machines, usually very clean. Treadmills, ellipticals, bikes are always there- some have rowing. Not being a big attendee of gyms, I could not tell you any specifics of the types or brands- sorry. (we mostly run)

They are pretty small, generally. The open area where classes are will have bosu balls and whatnot.

Figure it will be "ok to good" to maintain, but not really add to a training program.

Our first was on the Monarch, and we were on her last RCCL...

More to come. Being cruise nerds is fun.

Old October 26th, 2013, 03:19 AM
50,000+ Club

I've never had any problems with the gentle rocking of the ship impacting my workout and often when I am working out such as on the Elliptical Machine I do not even notice it.

Keith

Old October 28th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

On our first cruise, my wife and I went to the gym on a sea day to get in a run on the treadmills. There was just enough of a swell that the ship would lurch ever so slightly at random intervals. This, in turn, caused everyone on the treadmills to suddenly stagger to one side all in unison. No harm done to anyone but rather hilarious to watch as we all struggled to keep our footing. I haven't laughed so much on a run for quite some time.

Prior Cruises:
Caribbean Princess: 2009-02-01 - 2009-02-08 (Cruise to Run '09)
Caribbean Princess: 2011-01-23 - 2011-01-30 (Cruise to Run '11)
Caribbean Princess: 2012-01-22 - 2012-01-29 (Cruise to Run '12)
Ruby Princess: 2014-02-01 - 2014-02-10

Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:35 AM
10,000+ Club

I don't like a treadmill at home and often feel like I have sea legs when I get off, so there's no way I'd try it at sea. Yoga and weights work well for me, although I don't lift heavy and refrain from some of the more difficult poses which require significant balance--particularly of the handstand variety where a slip will plant you face first into the floor. :-0

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

Sometime in 2016, ship, month, and itinerary TBD

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Loving your answers, folks. I feel much more confident now. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I8190L using Tapatalk