New San Francisco Cruise Terminal Photos

trbarton

i can't find any postings by tom from his visit to the new terminal today. did i miss it somewhere or hasn't he posted today?

I don't think he posted yet. Probably having fun in the City. ABC news in SF just had a blurb about the new terminal and showed a lot of the inside. My photos are just outside. I'm sure Tom's will be wonderful.

Cheers, Denise

I was warmly welcomed by the San Francisco Port Staff for the tour of the new terminal.

I was introduced to Peter Dailey, Maritime Director, and Kim Von Blohn Project Engineer who explained details about the new terminal.

The old terminal is not big enough for ships with 3,000 passengers and has no air-conditioning. It will be used as a back-up terminal and for special events.

The new terminal is able to handle vessels up to 1,200 feet long and carrying 2,600 passengers and has the capacity at key areas to service vessels carrying as many as 4,000 passengers. They expect 75 cruise ship calls with 260,000 cruise guests in 2014. Princess have 33 homeport calls. The new terminal is air-conditioned.

The new gangways came from Sweden as they are one of 2 countries that make gangways and they were the cheapest. There is a possibility of an additional gangway to handle the mega ships.

There is plenty of space for dropping off of people and parking of tour buses. I talked with the supervisor of Grey Line and he said that things were going smoothly.

Once inside the terminal you will first go to the screening area for your carry on luggage. You can use the escalator, stairs or elevator. At the top of the escalator you will see the screening area and after that you get into line again for the check in process. There is also waiting areas with chairs near the check-in area. From that area you proceed outside to a deck that leads to the gangway to the ship. It’s very long so it can handle the large ships. On the crown they were boarding on the Promenade deck.

Since this was a transit stop there was no new passengers boarding so the areas that we saw were empty.

For people disembarking once off the gangway you enter into a room where the customs people will be there to process people. There will be no processing of custom documents on the ship.

We saw an empty area that will be used for luggage pick-up with empty luggage carts for the porters. I didn’t see where you drop off your luggage and will try and find that out when I go next Thursday for the dedication ceremony. I think that it may be at the other end of the building.

I noticed that it was a little confusing as to where people reboard the terminal after leaving the ship for awhile. The new security personal are also learning their duties too.

They will have to see how the processing of new passengers work since this was a transit stop. I did not see how they scanned your bags when returning to the ship.

I was impressed with the new terminal and will be awaiting our cruise on September 27th from San Francisco. Our cruise will be different as it is a transit stop plus people boarding all using one gangway.

There is an old historic building off the Embarcadero that is going to converted into a coffee shop and if everything goes as planned with permits they hope to be open next spring.

On the other side of the terminal there was a lot of empty commercial stores which they hope to have filled with venders.

They are still trying to learn how things work as I heard people asking about where to board the hop-off and on buses and they weren’t sure. Perhaps that company will decide to make a stop at the new terminal. The nearest stop may be at pier 39.

For people making a transit stop in San Francisco there is stops for the MUNI F street car line right at pier 27 which will take you to Pier 39 and Fishermen’s Wharf , which can also be walked from the pier. The F line will also take you to Market street and the downtown area. Remember the MUNI fare is $2.25 for adults and $.75 for seniors and youth, exact change required.

I’ll report more when I visit again next week.

I’ll post my photos soon.

Tom

DSC_0055_zps4b7bffd8.jpg

Old historic building that will be a coffee shop opening possibly next spring.

DSC_0059_zpsdea8d605.jpg

DSC_0062_zps21628f54.jpg

Media Interview

DSC_0070_zps6ab9212b.jpg

Display Dedicated to James R. Herman

DSC_0069_zps580a8486.jpg

Escalator to the screening area.

DSC_0075_zps2b5f1150.jpg

Screening area off to the right. We were not allowed to photograph the screening area.

Tom

Here's photos of the new cruise Terminal under construction in San Francisco scheduled to open September of this year. I had to take some photos through a wire fence.

photo1_zpsd0f30bae.jpg

photo2_zps5b1f4c00.jpg

photo7_zps96b67e8b.jpg

photo3_zps6c4228fb.jpg

photo4_zpsd7150ec6.jpg

More photos to follow.

Tom:)

Nice pictures. We were there 3 days ago. Going on a Princess cruise in October.

Beautiful!!!!! Makes me even more excited for our upcoming cruise Jan 3rd. The last I checked, neither Princess or the Port of San Francisco were listing the piers used in 2015. I am assuming and hoping that we will be using this beautiful new pier. Thanks so much for the report & pics!

Great pictures again, Tom. The only problem is that it's like having one potato chip. I'm greedy for more, and I know you'll take them.

I'm sorry to see the official immigration place. It's been great just walking off all these years.

Nancy:

If you need more potato chips go to http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/trbarton/media/New%20Cruise%20Terminal%20Photos/DSC_0014_zpsa59bd27f.jpg.html?state=replace and you will see all of the photos that I shot today.

Tom:D

Not sure why all the negativity. Can't help but think the new pier will be a positive addition to the waterfront and the cruise industry.

Have come and gone through pier 35 a few times (also pier 30), wasn't the world's greatest experience but we've seen far worse. We're coming in on the Grand on the 25th and excited to see the new terminal. Just going to walk down to the Ferry building for lunch and going out to a show in the evening.

Can't see why the ceremonies on the 25th will adversely affect passengers coming off the ship or going on tours. Maybe I'm just a glass half full type but why ruin your trip worrying about things that probably will never happen.

Tom, thanks for the photos and information. Will look forward to anything further that you can add in the next few days.

The ceremonies on the 25th with be in an area that will not effect any operation of the terminal. I saw that area when I was on the media tour today.

Tom:)

We're not sailing until November 14 but I've already pre-paid my parking at 55 Francisco. It seems a bit spendy - $200 for a 10 day cruise - but it's what there is and it's secure parking. Now that it's paid for I don't mind a bit. :)

I think 55 Francisco is the best option if you are driving yourself to the pier. Glad you were able to get a reservation.

Beav,

The porters are all ILWU full time workers and work mostly in Oakland at the port over there, they pick up shifts at the cruise terminal when they are open (they make a lot more over here)

Yes, I will be doing the same thing at 27 as 35.

Ed

Beav,

The porters are all ILWU full time workers and work mostly in Oakland at the port over there, they pick up shifts at the cruise terminal when they are open (they make a lot more over here)

Yes, I will be doing the same thing at 27 as 35.

Ed

Would there be any way that you and the other cc members working at the port could identify yourselves? Maybe an inconspicuous pin of some sort? That way we could thank you for your appreciated posts in person.:)

Edited by Nancyquilts