New San Francisco Cruise Terminal Photos

trbarton

The Port of San Francisco did not plan the terminal well at all, there were a lot of "port people" standing around yesterday slapping each other on the back and congratulating each other while the rest of us were suffering from their blunder of a terminal. The ILWU porters ARE extortionists and I have said many times in the past, if they ask you for money, be sure to get their number off their vest and report it to a Metro Check-in agent (blue suit/red tie or scarf) they will pass it on to someone higher up and action will be taken. BUT you have to have the number.

At pier 35 they used to have 4 or 5 customs agents and they would clear the ship in about 1 1/2 hours, now they have about 20 and it takes them over 3 hours to do the same thing...go figure. Typical US Government screw up.

Check-in started at 11:30 but the ILWU people running the scanners are pretty much incompetent and insist on taking their break just as the bulk of passengers start to enter the terminal (you know union rules come first)

and the fact that they only had three scanners planned for close to 3000 passengers is totally unacceptable. There needs to be at least 5 working scanners.

The Metro check-in agents had all passengers checked in by 3:15pm and boarded so that part was taken care of. The only advice I can offer (I know there will be those that will scream and holler about it) is to NOT show up early, it is just not worth the trouble, save the excuse about the hotel check out (they all offer a late checkout) you will be much happier if you just delay arriving at the pier later and avoiding the congestion.

And if the weather is at all bad, just think how much worse it will be, the PORT has made NO plans what so ever for passenger comfort in inclement weather nor for the employees that have to work outside loading busses or loading taxis. You will be at the mercy of the elements.

Here is who to write to:

Monique Moyer

Executive Director

Port of San Francisco

Pier one, The Embarkadero

San Francisco CA, 94111

or

Mayor Ed Lee

1 Dr Carlton B Goodlett Pl,

San Francisco, CA 94102

Let them know how you feel, maybe something will get done.

Yes all passengers were checked in but all the luggage was still sitting on the dock in cages as well as skids of provisions way passed sail time. With union workers just standing around. I did ask the"porter" about being a union long shoreman, and he said no he was not he was just a porter.

We used the terminal last week. It is much further to the wharf then the old terminal. It is a long haul just to exit this terminal to the street. Next coastal we do I'll look for a ship that doesn't use this this very inconvenient terminal.

:confused:

I find it hard to believe it is measurably further gangway to curb.

I think it is just a brain trick. The old long warehouse kept you inside it all the way to the street. The new building is more size appropriate for the hold rooms and as such you have a walk to the street (gasp) outside.

I'll be happy just to be getting on a ship in San Francisco. While neither I nor anyone else wants to stand in line or be delayed, the alternative is going to work and that's certainly the greater of the 2 evils. Bon voyage.

:confused:

I find it hard to believe it is measurably further gangway to curb.

I think it is just a brain trick. The old long warehouse kept you inside it all the way to the street. The new building is more size appropriate for the hold rooms and as such you have a walk to the street (gasp) outside.

I was going to say the same thing! It WAS a long walk through that cavernous Pier 35 from ship to street.

While I agree Pier 35 is closer to the Wharf than Pier 27, tourists needs to expand their horizons! There's more to SF than just Fisherman's Wharf! I like the fact Pier 27 is closer to the Ferry Building and that overall area near Market/Embarcadero. Lots of great restaurants, shopping, etc.

We used the terminal last week. It is much further to the wharf then the old terminal. It is a long haul just to exit this terminal to the street. Next coastal we do I'll look for a ship that doesn't use this this very inconvenient terminal.

How about the cruise terminal at San Pedro?:D You don't have to walk.

I will be on the Nov 4 sailing to Mexico on the Star Princess as was wondering about long term parking for the new terminal as well as the old terminal.I have a disability and a long walk from the parking lot to the terminal would be a problem. Hope someone could give me some advise,thanks.

I will be on the Nov 4 sailing to Mexico on the Star Princess as was wondering about long term parking for the new terminal as well as the old terminal.I have a disability and a long walk from the parking lot to the terminal would be a problem. Hope someone could give me some advise,thanks.

The standard parking lots recommended are the same as the old cruise ship terminal, may be too far. I would reach out to the parking folks at Pier 29 and see what they might arrange for you.

Alternatively, given your disability a car service might ultimately be the better part of valor.

Hi BoneDoc! I don't know about parking, but we are on your sailing & you should check out the roll call here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=309

While I am not familiar with the geography of the area, there are lots of local folks driving to the pier on the roll call that can hopefully help you out, along with other info!

JJ2sail

With union workers just standing around. I did ask the"porter" about being a union long shoreman, and he said no he was not he was just a porter.

He is TOTALLY lying to you, yes they are ILWU members and they are paid in excess of $45.00 an hour and on Sunday and holidays they make double time. They will say or do anything to get more tips out of passengers.

JJ2sail

With union workers just standing around. I did ask the"porter" about being a union long shoreman, and he said no he was not he was just a porter.

He is TOTALLY lying to you, yes they are ILWU members and they are paid in excess of $45.00 an hour and on Sunday and holidays they make double time. They will say or do anything to get more tips out of passengers.

Being new to the Princess boards, I find this interesting. Are you a union member?...manager??? Never sailed out of SF before. Do you know if that is true in other ports? Ft. Lauderdale? San Juan? I always try to tip $2 per bag because I want to support the working man; am I the fool?

Edited by richsea

We sailed yesterday from the new terminal on the Star Princess. Lots of hick ups. Took over an hour to get checked in and on board. The "porters" were like extortionists demanding tips before they would take luggage. Then the longshoremen staged some sort of work stoppage and would not load the ship. We were supposed to sail at 4 pm instead we sailed at 9:10 pm. Over 5 hours late. Now we are headed for some bad weather and will be delayed getting to our first port of Juneau. Very trying day yesterday.

My family on the ship now reports that the Glacier Bay cruising has been cancelled and replaced with Tracy Arm. There is apparently a $100 onboard credit.

They were disappointed since they booked the "Inside Passage with Glacier Bay" cruise because they wanted to see Glacier Bay.

What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away.:mad:

My family on the ship now reports that the Glacier Bay cruising has been cancelled and replaced with Tracy Arm. There is apparently a $100 onboard credit.

They were disappointed since they booked the "Inside Passage with Glacier Bay" cruise because they wanted to see Glacier Bay.

What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away.:mad:

Does your family confirm removal of Glacier Bay is a direct result of the delayed SF departure? Reason I ask is because Juneau and Skagway are scheduled stops (Wed/Thur) before Glacier Bay on Friday. It's hard to imagine a 5-6 hour late sail from SF on Sunday would affect Glacier Bay on Friday. Are their Juneau and Skagway stops affected or altered in any ways?

JJ2sail

lol I was talking to one of the truckers waiting with his truck on the dock and he was saying these "Porters" are pulling down well over 150,000.00 a year total.

Edited by MTJSR

lol I was talking to one of the truckers waiting with his truck on the dock and he was saying these "Porters" are pulling down well over 150,000.00 a year total.

Then it sounds like the "Porters" should be the ones arriving at the terminal to check-in for THEIR cruise than us poor folks scraping every last dollar to support our cruising addiction!! :eek::D:eek:

The Port of San Francisco did not plan the terminal well at all, there were a lot of "port people" standing around yesterday slapping each other on the back and congratulating each other while the rest of us were suffering from their blunder of a terminal. The ILWU porters ARE extortionists and I have said many times in the past, if they ask you for money, be sure to get their number off their vest and report it to a Metro Check-in agent (blue suit/red tie or scarf) they will pass it on to someone higher up and action will be taken. BUT you have to have the number.

At pier 35 they used to have 4 or 5 customs agents and they would clear the ship in about 1 1/2 hours, now they have about 20 and it takes them over 3 hours to do the same thing...go figure. Typical US Government screw up.

Check-in started at 11:30 but the ILWU people running the scanners are pretty much incompetent and insist on taking their break just as the bulk of passengers start to enter the terminal (you know union rules come first)

and the fact that they only had three scanners planned for close to 3000 passengers is totally unacceptable. There needs to be at least 5 working scanners.

The Metro check-in agents had all passengers checked in by 3:15pm and boarded so that part was taken care of. The only advice I can offer (I know there will be those that will scream and holler about it) is to NOT show up early, it is just not worth the trouble, save the excuse about the hotel check out (they all offer a late checkout) you will be much happier if you just delay arriving at the pier later and avoiding the congestion.

And if the weather is at all bad, just think how much worse it will be, the PORT has made NO plans what so ever for passenger comfort in inclement weather nor for the employees that have to work outside loading busses or loading taxis. You will be at the mercy of the elements.

Here is who to write to:

Monique Moyer

Executive Director

Port of San Francisco

Pier one, The Embarkadero

San Francisco CA, 94111

or

Mayor Ed Lee

1 Dr Carlton B Goodlett Pl,

San Francisco, CA 94102

Let them know how you feel, maybe something will get done.

Thank you for your spot-on insightfulness! You know better than anyone. Personally, I like the history of Pier 35 and hoped that it would have been updated with modern amenities (heating, carpeting, electrical plug in system for ships, etc.) - at least it holds 2 ships instead of just one :rolleyes:. I still don't understand how a new terminal is going to attract more cruise ships and cruises to SF. I think economics have more to do with that than a new building. I also feel the contruction of the new terminal had more to do with politics than meets the eye :rolleyes:.

:rolleyes:. I still don't understand how a new terminal is going to attract more cruise ships and cruises to SF. I think economics have more to do with that than a new building. I also feel the contruction of the new terminal had more to do with politics than meets the eye :rolleyes:.

I agree. A new terminal isn't going to attract more cruise lines to schedule voyages to/from SF.

Several years ago the city of Merced, CA spent millions to restore the old (and vacant) Southern Pacific railroad station. At the time Amtrak's 12 daily passenger trains operated through Merced on what was then the Santa Fe Railroad line. The city assumed restoring the old station would result in the passenger trains switching to the Southern Pacific tracks. They didn't take into account switching rail lines would require all the other cities along the route to have to change stations. So while its a beautifully restored building, it has no use as was intended.