New San Francisco Cruise Terminal Photos

trbarton

It's a different line - probably X or RCCL. Thank goodness Princess doesn't do that, but the ones from Ensenada might be one-ways rather than round trips.

That is correct. They are one-way sailings. Ours was on Celebrity, from Seattle to Ensenada. The ship then went on to Hawaii, on it's next voyage.

Since the new terminal can only accomodate one ship, there is no guarantee that a ship will be docked at the new facility. Pier 35 will still handle ships on days where there is more than one in port. I therefore would not book a cruise out of SF if only to experience the new terminal.

There are good and bad embarkation experiences at every port, the worst one I can think of is Ensenada, because passengers have to be bussed to/from San Diego, and many who have done it have said "Never again!". I haven't heard anyone say "Never again" to SF, because of our "history-rich" terminal.

Yes, we all wish we had more sailings out of here, but I feel demand is more dictated by where the ship goes, how many days the cruise is, and price. I don't know many people who cruise because of the terminal or not. Since most people are looking for a 7 day cruise, San Francisco does not have much to offer, and that will not change just because we have a new terminal.

Basically, out of SF, the options are: 10 or 12 day cruise to Mexico and back (way south of Ensenada), 10 days or longer to Alaska, Hawaii, or Panama Canal, or the start of a longer voyage to the South Pacific or beyond.

There has been an increase in the number of ships that make a port stop here, over the past several years, but that has nothing to do with our facilities. It's the City and the Bay Area that has created that demand.

Though I can appreciate the beauty of the new bulilding, I would rather have seen the port put the money into restoring historic Pier 35 with modern amemities. At least it holds two ships rather than just one.

I think there is not much they could do at Pier 35 to relieve the horrible congestion on the Embarcadero when 2 cruise ships are in port at the same time. Not only is the traffic bad but the lines going all the way down to Pier 21 (which I waited in once) just to board the ship docked at Pier 35 was the worst. Cannot speak of embarkation at the new pier but disembarkation yesterday was the best and traffic on the Embarcadero wasn't bad either, even with a major event going on across the street. Yes, it is sad that Pier 35 probably won't get the funding for restoration but I for one, really love the new port of SF. We were scheduled to arrive at Pier 35 -- so such a nice surprise for us to dock at the brand new facility. Nicely done San Francisco...nicely done!!

PS -- didn't realize that pier 27 only docks one ship at a time. It looks so long from the ship but seems as though you have more knowledge on this than I do. I can only speak to a seamless disembarkation and pick up process.

I think there is not much they could do at Pier 35 to relieve the horrible congestion on the Embarcadero when 2 cruise ships are in port at the same time.

PS -- didn't realize that pier 27 only docks one ship at a time. It looks so long from the ship but seems as though you have more knowledge on this than I do. I can only speak to a seamless disembarkation and pick up process.

Yes, there is the traffic issue. At least the new terminal will (hopefully) be an improvement. Time will tell.

Yes, only built to handle one ship. I was surprised too! Glad you got to (unexpectedly) experience Pier 27. It is a beautiful design and grassy park, with great views!

Just for the record, Metro Shore Services can't do anything about the lines or waiting outside the terminal either. You have to direct your comments and complaints to the Port of San Francisco, they are the ones that designed and planned the building. All we can do is work with what they gave us to work with.

They made absolutely no plans for passengers outside the terminal. No canopies over the bus waiting area for passengers waiting for airport/tour busses, no cover for passengers waiting to get into the terminal, no waiting area in the terminal provided for passengers before check-in (which CAN NOT start until after the last person has left the ship from the previous cruise), inadequate area for baggage reclaim area, etc.

Of course most of the long lines would not even be there if passengers followed the instructions given them by Princess about check-in times. When people start showing up at 9:30am or 10:00am the lines are going to form and get longer and longer until the terminal is able to accommodate them.

So, the next time you feel like venting your anger at the agents working at the terminal, think again and write that letter to the Port OR the San Francisco Chronicle.

They made absolutely no plans for passengers outside the terminal. No canopies over the bus waiting area for passengers waiting for airport/tour busses, no cover for passengers waiting to get into the terminal, no waiting area in the terminal provided for passengers before check-in (which CAN NOT start until after the last person has left the ship from the previous cruise), inadequate area for baggage reclaim area, etc.

In one of the great pictures supplied by trbarton it shows a waiting area, with seats. Is that only available for passengers who have already checked in?

I'll be boarding in a few weeks, so will report back on how that goes.

no waiting area in the terminal provided for passengers before check-in (which CAN NOT start until after the last person has left the ship from the previous cruise)

So the long lines and delays outside were because everyone was waiting for the passengers from the previous cruise to disembark?

We're sailing the Star in December, and it will be in drydock beforehand, so I'm hoping that this means that we won't have those tremendous waits... *crosses fingers*

So the long lines and delays outside were because everyone was waiting for the passengers from the previous cruise to disembark?

We're sailing the Star in December, and it will be in drydock beforehand, so I'm hoping that this means that we won't have those tremendous waits... *crosses fingers*

Last Saturday for the embarkation for the Island Princess, the terminal had a sign that it was not going to be open until 1pm for embarkation. Same thing happened with the Star Princess. There was a line of people waiting to get in before 12pm. There were more sitting on benches in the park-like setting at Pier 27. I assume everyone waiting had a message from Princess about when to come for embarkation. Obviously, none of them followed Princess's suggestion. Because this is a new place, it will take a few more embarkations before everything gets up to speed. I suspect it will be o.k. in December.

No canopies over the bus waiting area for passengers waiting for airport/tour busses, no cover for passengers waiting to get into the terminal, no waiting area in the terminal provided for passengers before check-in (which CAN NOT start until after the last person has left the ship from the previous cruise), inadequate area for baggage reclaim area, etc.

Of course most of the long lines would not even be there if passengers followed the instructions given them by Princess about check-in times. When people start showing up at 9:30am or 10:00am the lines are going to form and get longer and longer until the terminal is able to accommodate them.

Last Saturday for the embarkation for the Island Princess, the terminal had a sign that it was not going to be open until 1pm for embarkation. There was a line of people waiting to get in before 12pm.

To me it sounds like the new terminal was designed for reasons other than passenger comfort and workability. Did they ever consult those who work there on a daily basis to get their input?

Some passengers have to fly into San Francisco and really have no where else to go, with luggage in tow, if their flights arrive early. Others just like waiting in lines.

To me it sounds like the new terminal was designed for reasons other than passenger comfort and workability. Did they ever consult those who work there on a daily basis to get their input?

Since you're from San Francisco, I'm sure you're aware of the ongoing controversies about waterfront development. Seems to me that the new terminal was designed not only to be better for cruisers than 35, but also to be an asset to the City on the 80% of days no ship is in port.

San Francisco's waterfront is not Port Everglades, a huge expanse of nothing with room to build all sorts of niceties (though I never thought of it as particularly "nice"). But I'm sure that the amateur urban planners here can come up with a development scheme that squeezes protected short-term parking, protected outdoor passenger waiting-area seating for a thousand people, good traffic circulation, and a working terminal onto the confines of the pier, while improving traffic flow and pedestrian flow on the Embarcadero and preserving waterfront views and access.

Oh, and to be a 5-minute walk away from Fisherman's Wharf, max.

Edited by shepp

Hopefully the issue of not being able to enter the building prior to 1:00 PM will be resolved, and people who arrive early will have a covered space (with seats) to wait until registration opens.

This seems to be a reasonable thing to provide, since you have places you can wait at airports and train stations if you are early for your flight or train. As was noted, people fly in for their cruise and need somewhere to wait with their luggage.

Yep. And instead of the terminal being served by quick, cheap, and efficient mass transit, you have to take a taxi or a shuttle that creeps along the L.A. freeways. Instead of disembarking right in the middle of one of the world's great cities, you disembark in…San Pedro. Muuuch better!

Cripes! I'm not enough of an SFO chauvinist to suggest that Pier 27 isn't deeply flawed. Sure, it's unconscionable to have a two-hour line. But honestly, this thread seems to have its share of spoiled brats complaining that the new pier is a fifth of a mile farther from the refrigerator-magnet shop on Pier 39, or that you have to walk - gasp!- 2 minutes to get to the entrance to the terminal (though I bet, from the look of things, that there are Princess passengers who haven't had that much exercise in years).

All the before-the-fact kvetching here brings to mind that delightful old Noel Coward song from Sail Away: "Why oh why do the wrong people travel while the right people stay back home?" Can't we just go back to important matters, like bemoaning the toilet paper dispensers on the Royal?

:) Like! :)

I'll report back on our experience tomorrow. If we can't get in the terminal in time for lunch in the MDR, Pier 23 has a great little place to eat and look at the ship!! As long as they take our luggage, we are good.

Cheers, Denise

Edited by dchip

They would have to get more experience to get to the amateur level. Right now a lot (most? all?) of the urban planners in San Francisco are at the baby steps level of urban planning. :D

I think Shepp was talking about a different group of urban planners. :rolleyes:

One of the things we really enjoy is having our first lunch on board be a "served" lunch in one of the Main Dining Rooms (MDRs), so I am saddened to hear that boardings have been taking so long since the MDR typically closes at 1:30 PM.
Not to worry: your first lunch on board can always be served to you in the MDR… it just won't necessarily be on embarkation day. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I just have to say that twice we boarded the Star this summer (at Pier 35 of course), both times the 'Open at 1PM' sign was up and both times boarding began at 10:30 to 11:00 with people on board by 11:30-12:00. I can't speak to Pier 27 and what the plan is; only what I experienced at 35.

dz

We got to the port and immediately went through the security line this was at 11:42. We were walking up the gangway to the ship at 12:03 and in our room at 12:06. Fastest embarkation ever. We did get lucky because they called for Elite passengers to board just as we were walking to the seating area.

We arrived in our cabin and looked at the patter only to see that no embarkation lunch dining room was listed. We went down to the Portofino dining room on deck six and were told that it was only for BVE passengers. I made a slight face and said I was sad we always had lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day. They let us in. Four other passengers joined us. I am thinking lunch in the MDR On embarkation day may be a thing of the past.

Off to get our coffee cards.

Cheers, Denise.

Edited by dchip

said I was sad we always had lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day. They let us in. Four other passengers joined us. I am thinking lunch in the MDR On embarkation day may be a thing of the past.

Thanks for the update. Your boarding experience was the same as mine this summer at Pier 35. Was the 'Open at 1:00 PM' sign up?

Our experience was the same on the Star this summer. They suggested at the door to the dining room that we might prefer a faster lunch in the Horizon Court. We politely said we would prefer a leisurely lunch in the Dining room. They then gladly seated us. I think they really don't want us there but never made us feel that way.

I hope you have a marvelous cruise!

DZ

Thanks for the update. Your boarding experience was the same as mine this summer at Pier 35. Was the 'Open at 1:00 PM' sign up?

Our experience was the same on the Star this summer. They suggested at the door to the dining room that we might prefer a faster lunch in the Horizon Court. We politely said we would prefer a leisurely lunch in the Dining room. They then gladly seated us. I think they really don't want us there but never made us feel that way.

I hope you have a marvelous cruise!

DZ

Glad to hear that boarding for the current cruises is happening earlier, that people are not having to stand in a line outside of the cruise terminal, and that it is still possible to get a served lunch in the MDR.

It sounds like they are really trying to do away with a served lunch in the MDR on boarding day. I wonder what they will do on cruises where there is no BVE experience? Will they just close the dining room? Our upcoming cruise is like that (No BVE), so I will report back on how that goes. It does seem like a bit of bait and switch, i.e. show people a served lunch for their BVE and let them think this is what is available when they board for their cruise, then not allow that on embarkation day.

I'm glad the Star had proper on-time boarding today, but elites being turned away for embarkation lunch is very disappointing. Hopefully the people on the Star will see the error of their ways before we sail her in December!

I'm glad the Star had proper on-time boarding today, but elites being turned away for embarkation lunch is very disappointing. Hopefully the people on the Star will see the error of their ways before we sail her in December!

This is "standard procedure" for Princess for embarkation lunch. They don't post it in the patter, they encourage you to go to the buffet, they need to talk to a supervisor because it is only for in transit passengers, but if you politely insist on it you will be served. Slightly annoying, yes, but as a "Cruise Critic Insider" like us, it's a nice perk! Been this way for years, well before BVE.

Here's what it says on their FAQ page:

Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship’s multiple dining rooms.

Open from 5 am to 11 pm (12 am on select itineraries), the Horizon Court offers a wide selection of buffet meals or snacks. A primary feature of Princess ships, the top-of-the-ship restaurant features floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning sea views as a backdrop.

Or join us in one of our main dining rooms for lunch served up by a staff -- from chefs to waiters -- dedicated to making your dining experience something special.

Together, Princess' unique combination of gracious dining staff, fine continental cuisine and new friends make every meal onboard a memorable occasion.