10:10AM flight out of SEA

thecruisers723

We are booked on the Carnival Legend this coming May to Alaska. The ship is scheduled to dock at 7AM. Our flight was originally scheduled to leave SEA at 10:55. We just received notice that the flight has been changed to a 10:10 departure. Thoughts?

I would change it to at least a noon flight . Airport security in Seattle can be very slow . With 7AM docking , the first self disembarkation passenger will start around 7:30 maybe even 8AM.

Edited by Kamloops50

There is basically one road (I5) between the cruise terminal and SeaTac. If you get in a bit late and there is congestion, an accident or construction- you are toast. Check it out on Google Maps which by the way is very useful for finding out about things like this.

Right now on Thanksgiving when there is no traffic, the estimated time to get from the cruise ship terminal to SeaTac is 25 minutes. If you get off the ship at 8:00, this means that you get to SeaTac at 8:30. You need to be at the gate say 45 minutes (and that is pushing it) before the flight. This means that you have to be at the gate at 9:15 which leaves you 45 minutes to get to ticketing, walk to security, get through security and to the gate. As I said, any delays and you are toast.

Even your initial 10:55 flight was pushing it.

Unless there is a really good reason for taking a chance on an early flight, I have never been able to figure out why people take chances on an early flight when often there are no seats available on an alternative flight if you miss the one your are booked on. What is so horrible about having to sit at the airport for an hour or so. You can always read of just relax.

DON

Add to the mix, this will be a weekday? Significantly more traffic than a weekend.

You are better off, trying to get a later flight. "Maybe" if the stars line up, you could make it, but all you will have to hit is a delayed disembarkation, extra traffic, lines at checkin- if checking bags, security lines, this flight being at the last gate, furthest concourse etc etc .

I have made these flights, BUT, a whole different story, I'm nonrev. and have know exactly the drill, am organized, no delays within myself. I've seen plenty of people- confused by signs, not entirely up on security or airport layouts etc. All these pauses take- time.

You need to be at the gate say 45 minutes (and that is pushing it) before the flight.

Huh? You "need" to be at the gate 15 minutes before departure. Airlines generally start boarding 30 minutes before departure.

Now if you said "You should aim to arrive at the gate 45 minutes before the flight" then I would agree. But "need to be"? No, sorry that is absolutely incorrect.

To complicate matters, there's lots of construction going on in downtown Seattle, the wharf area, and near the Seattle Center. You also never know how busy SEATAC security will be. I wouldn't chance it and change to a later flight.

Huh? You "need" to be at the gate 15 minutes before departure. Airlines generally start boarding 30 minutes before departure.

Now if you said "You should aim to arrive at the gate 45 minutes before the flight" then I would agree. But "need to be"? No, sorry that is absolutely incorrect.

No argument on the "must" versus "should". Still, the OP is taking a major chance.

DON

Carnival uses Pier 91 which is about 5-6 miles north of downtown.

Seatac is about 1/2 hr south of downtown but I'd give it an hr due to on-going hwy and tunnel construction, city events, and the usual congestion around Seattle.

The airport is extremely busy during the summer so follow the suggestion of arriving 2 hrs prior for a domestic flight. There were times last yr when 1 of the TSA lines were closed and people missed flights.

So .....for a 10:10am flight you would have to be at sitting in a taxi pulling away from the pier by 7:15/7:30am. You would need to self disembark at 7am and have a prearranged car service waiting for you.

This leaves you NO wiggle room at all. I'm not saying you definintely won't make the flight, but there's certainly a strong possibility. What would it cost you to miss it?

p.s. Does your cruise arrive or depart around Memorial Day? If so,plan on more time because Seattle is even more busy.