Dog Sledding

nkochrn

I have a Southbound cruise booked on Princess for July with stops in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchican.

I wanted to do a dog sledding encounter but have a pretty tight budget, I thought I'd seen somewhere a dog sled encounter where you don't actually go sledding but just meet the dogs basically. I may have been looking through a different cruiseline at that time. So now I'm wondering if anyone knows of something similar to this that I could book on my own?

I have a Southbound cruise booked on Princess for July with stops in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchican.

I wanted to do a dog sledding encounter but have a pretty tight budget, I thought I'd seen somewhere a dog sled encounter where you don't actually go sledding but just meet the dogs basically. I may have been looking through a different cruiseline at that time. So now I'm wondering if anyone knows of something similar to this that I could book on my own?

Are you doing any mainland touring? Denali park, has their free sled dog demo and open kennels for visitors. If you are in Wasilla, there is the sled dog museum and Reddington dogs are usually set up with their cheap cart rides.

If you are getting up to Carcross out of Skagway with a tour or rental car, there is Caribou Crossing which has cheap cart rides and a kennel look for a small admission.

In Skagway.... I was on the Yukon tour that had a sled dog village just North of Carcross (Caribou Crossing). You could meet and hug the dogs, as well as book an optional ride. This ride was done on a wagon sled.

http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/dog-cart.html

I remember seeing some other cruise tours done on snow. Do you have a preference on dirt or snow for your ride?

Edited by xlxo

• 4 months later...

We are also trying to decide whether to do dogsledding in Juneau, Skagway or Caribou Crossing. Caribou Crossing is much more affordable, but I recently googled it and came across two reviews saying that the animals were mistreated, emaciated and other negative comments that were very worrisome. Wondering if other people have done the dogsledding at Caribou Crossing recently and can comment.

Clearly dogsledding in snow on a glacier would be the ideal experience, if it weren't for it being so expensive.

We are also trying to decide whether to do dogsledding in Juneau, Skagway or Caribou Crossing. Caribou Crossing is much more affordable, but I recently googled it and came across two reviews saying that the animals were mistreated, emaciated and other negative comments that were very worrisome. Wondering if other people have done the dogsledding at Caribou Crossing recently and can comment.

Clearly dogsledding in snow on a glacier would be the ideal experience, if it weren't for it being so expensive.

I was at Caribou Crossing two weeks ago and observed the dog sledding. EVERY dog was barking as they all wanted to pull the wheeled sled down the dirt pathway. The dogs are used to running in temps near zero, so running at 70+ degrees must have been really taxing. All of the dogs were standing in mud to keep them cool. It must be noted that sled dogs are bred lean for their marathon-like running. Some of the dogs were available for petting and feeding. The dogs eat 12000 calories/day.

In Skagway, I went dog sledding in the snow for a once in a lifetime thrill. Hearing 240 dogs barking to be allowed to pull a sled was amazing. Temps in the low 40's meant the dogs could only run for 15 minutes without a stop to let them cool. The helicopter trip to the mountain took an indirect route to give an incredible tour of the area. A good portion of the excursion fare is to maintain the dog camp in the mountain and its need to be constantly moving to the deepest snow pack. I will have videos/photographs on my website soon.

These particular dogs, can look "emaciated", the racing dogs. "mistreatment" could be considered for all of them- they are working dogs, short tethered by chain to small houses etc. depends on perceptions. Caribou Crossing is- dirt- and dusty, certainly gets on the dogs by the end of the day.

Frankly- the working dogs, generally are well cared for, within the standards for this particular type of dog. I haven't found Caribou Crossing to be outside of the "standards".

I was at Caribou Crossing two weeks ago and observed the dog sledding. EVERY dog was barking as they all wanted to pull the wheeled sled down the dirt pathway. The dogs are used to running in temps near zero, so running at 70+ degrees must have been really taxing. All of the dogs were standing in mud to keep them cool. It must be noted that sled dogs are bred lean for their marathon-like running. Some of the dogs were available for petting and feeding. The dogs eat 12000 calories/day.

In Skagway, I went dog sledding in the snow for a once in a lifetime thrill. Hearing 240 dogs barking to be allowed to pull a sled was amazing. Temps in the low 40's meant the dogs could only run for 15 minutes without a stop to let them cool. The helicopter trip to the mountain took an indirect route to give an incredible tour of the area. A good portion of the excursion fare is to maintain the dog camp in the mountain and its need to be constantly moving to the deepest snow pack. I will have videos/photographs on my website soon.

Your comment about the dogs needing to keep cool and being thin, and staying in mud does help to possibly explain the negative reviews that I read. Did you feel that the animals at caribou crossing were treated well. Did the puppies that they say that you can pet look healthy? Other things I read were about the petting zoo animals not looking happy. Possibly, when people see animals sitting in mud puddles and see allot of bugs, they misjudge the situation, which is why I wanted someone else's opinion.

So glad you had such a great time dog sledding in Skagway. Sounds amazing. I am still considering doing a mendenhall glacier trek as my one big splurge. So many awesome choices for a first time visitor to Alaska.

Thanks for your comments.

Your comment about the dogs needing to keep cool and being thin, and staying in mud does help to possibly explain the negative reviews that I read. Did you feel that the animals at caribou crossing were treated well. Did the puppies that they say that you can pet look healthy? Other things I read were about the petting zoo animals not looking happy. Possibly, when people see animals sitting in mud puddles and see allot of bugs, they misjudge the situation, which is why I wanted someone else's opinion.

Thanks for your comments.

IMHO they were treated well and the ones in the petting area were very friendly. Dogs, like people, have personalities and some may not be right for petting. Contrary to what you have seen in the movies, most sled dogs do not look like huskies with blue eyes.

The puppies at Caribou Crossing were about six weeks old and were non-descript puppies (nothing to brag about). People did like holding them for pictures though. The puppies in Skagway were about two weeks old and the mama dog was not happy having them petted, so we could just observe them.

In Skagway, it was interesting to see several hundred dogs standing on the roof of their dog houses and barking. Our musher made sure to push a large stake in the ground near the sled runners lest the dogs take off without him being aboard. The dogs really want to run!!!

The woman who owns the kennel in Carcross is a woman named Michelle Phillips. Michelle, and her husband, Ed, are both professional mushers. In fact Michelle placed in the top of Iditarod and won the Yukon Quest 300 this past year. I can attest to the care that they take care of their dogs. Sled dogs are working animals. You need to think of marathon runners, not sumo wrestlers..they are lean and not very big dogs...they are designed for endurance and toughness. They are extremely well taken care. Many of them are worth several thousand dollars. It takes about 50,000 to fund a race team for a year. No musher would not take care of his/her dogs....it would be counterproductive. In a racing dog, you should be able to see their ribs and they should have a deep chest..and a low set tail. I own a sled dog team...and people who see my dogs are constantly amazed about how thin they are, but that is healthy for them..I would suggest that you google Michelle, and take a look,at some of the racing that she has done...she is one heck of a person....and if you should be on a Princess ship, Libby Riddles..is on every Princess ship to talk about sled dogs. She is the first woman to have ever win Iditarod...a 1000 mile race in Alaska...

The woman who owns the kennel in Carcross is a woman named Michelle Phillips. Michelle, and her husband, Ed, are both professional mushers. In fact Michelle placed in the top of Iditarod and won the Yukon Quest 300 this past year. I can attest to the care that they take care of their dogs. Sled dogs are working animals. You need to think of marathon runners, not sumo wrestlers..they are lean and not very big dogs...they are designed for endurance and toughness. They are extremely well taken care. Many of them are worth several thousand dollars. It takes about 50,000 to fund a race team for a year. No musher would not take care of his/her dogs....it would be counterproductive. In a racing dog, you should be able to see their ribs and they should have a deep chest..and a low set tail. I own a sled dog team...and people who see my dogs are constantly amazed about how thin they are, but that is healthy for them..I would suggest that you google Michelle, and take a look,at some of the racing that she has done...she is one heck of a person....and if you should be on a Princess ship, Libby Riddles..is on every Princess ship to talk about sled dogs. She is the first woman to have ever win Iditarod...a 1000 mile race in Alaska...

Great information, I am glad I reached out to clarify. I was just so concerned, because I saw two other posts that were so strongly negative and talking about animal abuse. I was worried. I think they were not just referring to concern about the dogs, but the other animals on site at the petting zoo.

I have come to learn that with many people, come many opinions. Hopefully we will get to visit Caracross and the dogs, and definitely want to attend Libby Riddles talk, what a treat that would be. Thanks again for sharing your first hand knowledge and opinions.

The Seavey's are awesome! I did the dogsledding with them and just listening to the family talk is amazing. I mean this family has won so many Iditarod's and between Mitch and Dallas just being there was awesome enough but riding the sled with the dogs was even better! I totally recommend them

What company did you use for your dog sledding excursion in Skagway?

Thanks.

What company did you use for your dog sledding excursion in Skagway?

Thanks.

I booked my excursion many months in advance through Holland America and the flights were made by Temsco in Skagway. I rember helicopters shuttled folks back and forth to the mountain area but not sure how many were private tours. During my time on the mountain, only four sleds (two helicopter loads) were running at any one time.

Each helicopter held six passengers and each dog sled had only three folks in addition to the musher.

Hopefully, my website will have pictures uploaded next week so that I can post a few here on this thread.

I booked my excursion many months in advance through Holland America and the flights were made by Temsco in Skagway. I rember helicopters shuttled folks back and forth to the mountain area but not sure how many were private tours. During my time on the mountain, only four sleds (two helicopter loads) were running at any one time.

Each helicopter held six passengers and each dog sled had only three folks in addition to the musher.

Hopefully, my website will have pictures uploaded next week so that I can post a few here on this thread.

For others, TEMSCO, (initials) is the only vendor in Skagway. Easy to also book direct.